Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown snow reports 09

Poster: A snowHead
Sarge McSarge, Great pix - thanks and you live in a fabulous spot. The skiing looks really good. Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glad you like the photos. Skiing is pretty good but can be better with a bit more snow. We have had a couple of cms yesterday but not enough to make much difference. Snow fall on thursday went right around Queenstown and closed some roads between here and places north. Had a couple of hours on skis this morning and spent the afternoon walking the dog and not much else. Will be back with another update in a few days.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There was a fair bit of new snow at the Remarkables today, but bad weather, should be pretty good when it clears up, it was snowing up there when I left at about 2.00 pm.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How's Queenstown these days lads??
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another sunny day down here. Last week we had a few light snow showers that amounted to 7cm over four days at Coronet peak. My last day on the snow was Thursday and the surface was becoming a little hard but not actually icy. We could definitely do with a top up. The weather has been really strange with a lot of south easterly winds which mean cold and dry for Queenstown and grey and wet in the east coast. No serious snow in the coming week by the look of the forcast.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Time for an update. I have been a bit under the weather with a nasty head cold (not swine flu) so have not had much time on the snow. Until today it has continued fine and cold with no measurable amount of fresh snow. The snow surface of the local areas has stayed great but was polished buy some strong winds on the weekend. Today is warm and raining lightly and the forecast is for more rain today. It should just be cold enough on the mountains to give us snow rather than have the rain wash away what we have. Looks like there could be quite a bit of precipitation through to the end of the week so we are all hoping it stays cold enough. I will hopefully have a better report with good snow news in a few days.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well we finally have some new snow. Something like 15 to 20 cms on all the local ski areas over night and still snowing lightly. This should give us a nice fresh surface for a few days. I hope it does not get thrashed to much over the weekend as I am having next week off work and plan to ski most days. I hope to get to the Remarkables to give you all some new photos to drool over. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Although I did not get up on the snow yesterday a friend of mine said that the new snow at Coronet Peak was the wettest and heaviest he has ever skied. But the good news is that we have had another 5 to 15 cms overnight with colder conditions and the snow line is now down below 500m so it should have improved the conditions markedly. Even some light snow falling at home this morning. Looking forward to the weekend and coming week.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I went up to Coronet this morning before work, think the snow was nice, but couldn't see a thing, so gave up after half an hour.

Heading to Remarkables in the morning, homeward has got to be worth a look now the weather has cleared. Had an epic powder day at Ohau a couple of weeks ago. I love Ohau Madeye-Smiley Reckon it would have been good today with the new snow, but it's a bit of a drive for a day trip. Canterbury sounds awesome too, 55cm last night at Cheeseman, spoke to a mate who was up there today, said it was really good.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Been to Coronet Peak three out of the last four days. Good coverage after last weeks little falls but no powder left. On piste is great and most of the off piste is skier packed and lots of fun. It was snowing lightly when I left today so hope it keeps up. A bit of snow forecast over the next few days but nothing major. Quite a bit of avalanche activity in the backcountry lately so not a good time to go touring.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's a few pictures I took at the Remarkables on Sunday, it was a lovely day up there. Looks like heaps of new snow on the way later this week.

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great photos. Looks like those guys were having a ball. Looks like some tracks close to that avalanche. Sounds like plenty of idiots out there at the moment. As for snow it is raining at home right now (7.30pm local) and as I can not see any lights from Coronet it looks like it is snowing snowHead I was going to have a day in town tomorrow but maybe not. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bring it on, may have to get a sneaky first tracks session in tomorrow before going to work Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Not as good as promised unfortunately. A couple of cms of wind blown snow on the upper mountain and what felt like frozen sleet on the lower half. Had a couple of runs and went home. Remarkables being higher got 5 cms. Same weather tonight but it looks like it will be a bit colder so maybe it will freshen up the surface. I will let you know how it turns out.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hang11, Great pix - looks quite good - certainly better than we've got at the moment. Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Up to the Remarkables this morning. Supposedly 4cm new snow over night but it was so wind blown it was hard to tell. The Sugar Bowl chair was closed due to wind and at times the gusts were very strong. One of my friends got blown over when she stopped at one stage. But we still had fun. Unfortunately I left the camera in the car so the only shots I have for you were taken on the road on the way down.

This is looking down the road with Coronet Peak the shaded area left of centre. Queenstown is out of sight to the left.

Looking back up the road. The lifts etc are just around the corner

There is more bad weather forecast for tonight and the next few days. Even a possibility of heavy snow down to 1000m. Lets hope they are right for once.
snow report
Had a great afternoon at Coronet once the weather cleared up, was still getting freshies out past Rocky Gully at 4.00pm. They got a decent amount of snow this morning, and more on the way. Could be worth a sickie or two this week Very Happy
snow report
10 cm new snow by Saturday morning but it came with lots of wind. This brings the weeks total to about 20cm. Then 8.30am today (Sunday) it bucketed down for about three hours giving us 15cm of nice new powder. Snow line back down to 600m. After begging Mrs McSarge she let me off for the afternoon so have had a great play. I managed to in the first group into Coronet Peak's Back Bowls area when it was opened. Great fresh tracks and burning thighs. The snow had drifted a bit so was up to 30cm in the hollows.

Here are a few shots I took with the phone.

snow report
A bit of bad news just come through on the TV. At least one person missing believed buried in an avalanche on the Greeengates area of Coronet Peak. Information is poor at this time but a full scale rescue is under way but it is now fully dark. I am a little surprised that it is in the Greeengates area as it is not particularly steep and historically has had very little avalanche activity. I can not recall anyone ever dying in an avalanche at Coronet Peak. I guess more information will come to light as time goes on. Not good news.
ski holidays
30 year old local man died. Sounds like it was out of bounds near Greengates.

Awful news.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2712599/Missing-man-killed-in-avalanche
ski holidays
He was buried 2 metres deep for at least two and a half hours so survival was very unlikely. It is reported that they did not have transceivers, shovels or probes. With the avalanche risk rated as high you have to be careful. The reports do not say how far beyond the boundary fence the avalanche occurred but I know that there are some quite steep slopes out there.
latest report
On to a happier note. All the local mountains are reporting fresh snow over night. Treble Cone 20-30 cm, Cardrona 15cm, Remarkables 10cm, Coronet Peak 10-20cm. And it is still snowing. It also looks like more tomorrow. The snow depth graph for Coronet Peak shows for this time of the year we have half a metre more snow than any of the last ten years. The weather pattern has changed completely from the early winter situation and we now have a series of westerly fronts coming across from below Australia. They tend to move quickly over New Zealand giving us a quick blast of precipitation. At the moment they are cold enough to give us snow down to about 1000m which is below the lowest ski lifts. If this pattern continues we could be in for a record season in this part of the country.
latest report
I did not manage to get up to the snow on the weekend but did get out boating on the lake. A nice picnic on the shore near Walter Peak and a few photos to show you the scenery.

The Remarkables. Ski area is on the other side just to the left of the highest point.

Queenstown is on the far shore in the centre of the photo. Mt Cardrona is the long ridge directly above the boats motor.

This is looking north west showing some of the areas used for heli skiing.

On the snow side of things 15 to 30 cm on the local mountains yesterday. The snow base just keeps building so lots of happy faces. The backcountry avalanche risk is still HIGH so not good news for those who want to go exploring.
snow conditions
Sarge McSarge, hang11, Great pics, envy inducing but keep up the good work.
On a slightly off topic question whats the lake in your pics and do you know anything about the fishing in it?
ski holidays
RPF, Glad you are jealous. Little Angel

Lake Wakatipu

15,000 years ago during the last ice age, a huge glacier moving from the north west carved out what is now Lake Wakatipu. The lake is relatively thin, but the mountains run straight into the lake, forming a deep canyon, 399m at its deepest point.

Lake Wakatipu is the second largest lake in the Southern Lakes District, covering 290 square km. At its widest point Lake Wakatipu is five kilometers wide, and the total length is 84km.

Maori Legend

The Maori legends state that the giant Matau was burnt to death in his sleep after he abducted a chief's daughter, burning a massive hole in the ground and melting the ice and snow of the surrounding mountains, forming the lake. The lake is a large "S" shape, like a giant, curled up and sleeping on its side. Matau's head rested at Glenorchy, at the north of the lake, and his feet south in Kingston. Queenstown sits on Matau's knee.

One of Wakatipu's mysteries is the rise and fall of the lake by about 12cm (5") every five minutes. Legend states that a Giant's heart is impossible to destroy, and causes this rise and fall, while science says it is due to fluctuating atmospheric pressures. But across the lake from the town below Cecil Peak is a little island visible only from up close, from above, or from a different angle. Some say Hidden Island is the still beating heart of the Giant Matua...

Not my info I found it on the net.

The fishing is OK, brown trout, rainbow trout and small salmon. Access to the shore is quite difficult in places so a boat really helps. On my best day out last summer I hooked eight trout in two hours. All from the boat. The location where the photos were taken is about 15 minutes by boat from town and not accessible by car. In fact there is only about 10km of road along the entire western shoreline. There is some very good fly fishing in the rivers that feed into the lake. Fishing on a couple of of these rivers is now restricted by a permit system to avoid over fishing.
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge, Great photos and the skiing looks fab. Thanks. Very Happy
snow report
Sarge McSarge, Cheers for the info I could do all year there sounds awesome. Mr. Green
latest report
RPF, Yes it is a great all year place. Fishing, sailing, hiking, mountain bike, climbing, hunting, snow, snow, camping, bars, cafes, etc. Quite a cosmopolitan population for NZ with people from UK, most of Europe, South America especially Brazil , US, Australia (yes we even let them in) and more.

On the snow front, I was up at Coronet Peak for a meeting this morning and although I did not manage to get my skis on I did have a good look at the conditions. Coverage is still great but due to some warm daytime temperatures and cool nights the off piste was pretty firm. Looked looked like the piste was fine due to lots of work from the grooming crew. Hope to up there in the morning.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Very warm on the snow today so it was spring conditions with lots of soft granular snow and moguls growing really fast. Still a good day with short lift lines and lots of runs.
On the bad side of things another avalanche fatality yesterday. Same heli ski company as last month but this time it was a guide that was killed. One client also involved but he only suffered minor injuries. The dead guide was involved in the rescue of those buried in last months avalanche. This is very unusual in NZ as we do not have that many people in the back country during the winter so three fatalities is big news.
ski holidays
Queenstown is a top place to live if you like fishing, I do Very Happy

Without a boat, it's a bit sparse on Lake Wakatipu, where streams enter the lake is where I usually have a bit of success, usually catch at least one trout or salmon each time I go. Some of the smaller lakes, like Moke, Kirkpatrick and Dispute, which are near to town are very productive if you fly fish during summer, and the Mataura River is just down the road, which is IMO one of the best fly fishing rivers in the world.

Further South it just gets better, and then you get to the Catlins, and if you like surfing......that's a whole other story Very Happy

Suffice to say I only end up cutting the grass and washing the car once or twice a year.

Snow was pretty sloppy today, looks like a bit more on the way next week.

I'm getting excited about fishing season starting, been busy tying flies in the evenings after work.
snow conditions
Sarge McSarge wrote:
Very warm on the snow today so it was spring conditions with lots of soft granular snow and moguls growing really fast. Still a good day with short lift lines and lots of runs.
On the bad side of things another avalanche fatality yesterday. Same heli ski company as last month but this time it was a guide that was killed. One client also involved but he only suffered minor injuries. The dead guide was involved in the rescue of those buried in last months avalanche. This is very unusual in NZ as we do not have that many people in the back country during the winter so three fatalities is big news.

And bad news, too. Sad
ski holidays
Coronet Peak today = crap. Got up there at 7.45am for first tracks, total slush fest, had a bit of fun snowboarding over puddles, fell in one, gave up, went home at 10am.

Hopefully this warm spell will be over soon.
latest report
Well the warm weather has continued on but just cold enough to freeze at nigh so the spring conditions continue. For a total change I have been up at the cross country ski area at the Snow Farm. Although I am not a cross country skier I have be working up there for the last few days as part of the NZ Winter Games. Plenty of coverage on the tracks and so far two good days of competition. 10km & 15km classic yesterday with freestyle sprints today. Tomorrow it is 10km & 15 km freestyle. The weather is looking a bit rough for the morning so fingers crossed. I will post some photos tomorrow if I get any that are decent.
ski holidays
Well the warm weather has continued on but just cold enough to freeze at night so the spring conditions continue. For a total change I have been up at the cross country ski area at the Snow Farm. Although I am not a cross country skier I have be working up there for the last few days as part of the NZ Winter Games. Plenty of coverage on the tracks and so far two good days of competition. 10km & 15km classic yesterday with freestyle sprints today. Tomorrow it is 10km & 15 km freestyle. The weather is looking a bit rough for the morning so fingers crossed. I will post some photos tomorrow if I get any that are decent.
ski holidays
Fresh snow this morning with a few cms on the local mountains and cold enough that the snow line is down again. Looks like a bit of new snow every day for the next week except Sunday when we could have rain.

I have a few photos from the snow farm.

A general view showing one of the start lines and some of the trails

End of a lap on the 15km classic.

One of the sprint races heading to the finish line

Some guy kite boarding.

snow report
It's snowing, not the nice dry stuff, but the wet snotty stuff, however the forecast is showing loads more, up to a metre before next weekend, and it getting a lot colder, so once the wind drops, and the weather clears, it could be awesome conditions, first weekend in September. I'll probably head up to Coronet tomorrow, see what it's like, but the forecast isn't looking too pretty at the moment.
latest report
Maybe I'll see you there. I am working as back up for the ski patrol through the weekend. I hope it does cool down a bit, I have had enough of the wet heavy stuff ( that is snow not what you are all thinking) Should be good to see the big air comp. I hope to get a few photos .
ski holidays
Sarge McSarge, That's an impressive X country set up you've got. The snow looks fine, checkout my photo for today (when I've taken it) on the second to last day of the season! Shocked Your 'summer' is deffo preferable! Laughing Laughing
snow report
I may well go up there on sunday to get some pics of the big air comp, got a mate coming down from Christchurch for the weekend, who is a keen photographer, and there should be an opportunity to get some good photos.
snow report
Keep up the good work guys.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy