Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort to spend a season in

Poster: A snowHead
If you could do the 09/10 season anywhere; where would it be, and why?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would buy a SuperSalzburger Season Pass and ski there. Why? Because Austria rocks and there is an amazing amount of skiing covered by the pass. Oh, and it's much cheaper than other "mega resort" ski areas.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I spent my season (last season) in Plan-Peisey, Paradiski

Reasons summed up here: - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46330

and overall season summed up here: - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46330&start=253

But there's many a good resort to spend a season and one man's or lady's amber nectar is another's malted vinegar - like mortgages only you can decide on the package that's right for you.

Enjoy it where and whenever you end up (oh and if you want to work, don't be too fussy about where you're going and get on with the application process, less jobs next season and probably more returners)
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think there is a 'best resort'. It is all subjective. For me, it would be Banff, cool town with a great vibe and close enough to other ski towns for a bit of variation. Golden, Revvy etc.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SO many variables. how much money do you have, what kind of skiing,which particular season etc etc. In current circumstance, probalby Peisey Vallandry, if I had lots of money this season then Whistler for the Olympics, if I had lots of money any other season then Tignes...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I had a great season a few years ago in Whistler. Great place with a good vibe and fantastic snow. Pas De La Casa was another good season for me, but was much more of a party scene. This was great because I was in my early 20's at the time but I wouldnt go back there now. As NBT said, there are so many variables and it really depends on what you are looking for. Good luck!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Can't believe no-ones said La Ros**** yet!

Lots of different answers to the question depending on what your expectations, ability, gender and stockpile of antibiotics are like. Oh and skiing should come into the equation as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
As others have said, we all have different desires and requirements. There is no "one size fits all" best.

But for me, given my current level of skiing, it would have to be Austria. Probably in the Kitzbuheler Alpen region, and I would get the whole region season pass, which includes the areas covered by 7 different major ski passes, all easily reachable by car from a central location.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't know the relative costs of living in different areas, but I'd be considering Vald'Isere (with fairly easy access to St Foy and Les Arcs/La Plagne - or a longer drive to the 3 Valleys) or St Anton or possibly Verbier (perhaps staying in the valley below). They are all good off-piste areas, which is important for me.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agree...either BSM or close by... or somewhere in the SW Valais...

A car would be a must..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd go for Whistler, and take my mountain bike for summer. Probably wouldn't come back ever.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd base myself in the Bozel valley - 10 minutes drive to Meribel or Courchevel, 5 minutes to Champagny to access La Plagne, and from there, Les Arcs. Tignes and Val D an hour away, Valmorel not far. Day trips to other resorts for some variety....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
1. Zermatt.
2. St Moritz.
3. Courchevel 1850.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whitegold, Fair choices, but he also asked why? (I presume you haven't just chosen those because they are the most expensive places).

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Thu 11-06-09 22:54; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I reckon the answer to any question along the lines of "Which is the best resort for..." should be answered with "Zermatt".
snow report
Whitegold, nice to see you've fixed the return button on your keyboard wink

Skibum22, I reckon most sizeable resorts close to a large city would be fun. You can pack in some site seeing/touring if you decide not to ski on either bad weather days or school holidays when the piste is too busy. high up skiing is all very well but tree line skiing is much more fun so I'd try and find a resort with skiing from 1,000m to 3,500m with maybe the lower slopes on north/east elevations so the snow keeps on the low down areas well.

I've not been to many places but Verbier/ 4 valleys was great fun and they have such tremendous skiing I think it would be hard to beat for a season.
snow conditions
alex_heney wrote:
Whitegold, Fair choices, but he also asked why? (I presume you haven't just chosen those because they are the most expensive places).

"Fair" choice? I doubt it. He's just making waves.

I haven't been to Zermatt. But judging from the other two choices, which I happened to have been, I'd say they're both poor choices.

St Moritz simply isn't varied enough, in comparison with available options around the Alps. The terrain there is on the tame side for a seasonare, who surely would become quite proficient by the latter part of the season.

3V is great skiing-wise. But why pay top cost to stay in the busiest part of the domain when you have the whole season there anyway? By staying a little off the main drag, there're quieter piste for a lot less cost. And still be able to enjoy what Courchevel got to offer.

Those choices are the kind a 1 week holiday skier would make. A "seasoned" seasonaoir wouldn't choose those, I suspect.
snow report
Breckenridge for me, love the resort and plenty of varied skiing there with the likes of A Basin, Copper just a bus ride away.

France is great for skiing but don't think I could cope with months on end in somewhere like the 3Vs.
snow report
Quote:

months on end in somewhere like the 3Vs

sounds like heaven too me.
latest report
IMV the first thing to throw out of consideration as a seasonnaire is km of piste, followed by "tourist" priced nightlife. You do need to take into account more practical things like commute distance to the slopes and other amenities such as decent supermarkets, laundry facilities, gyms/swimming pools, cinemas, dvd rental stores etc, plus available "getaway" options for when cabin fever sets in.

This is why some people can quite happily spend a season in a place that others turn their nose up as boring within a week's stay.
snow report
Benidorm ?
snow conditions
If you really have a whole season?

Go to Western North America.

Get an RV (5th Wheeler) in Calgary in November, Take the south loop to vanouver (Fernie, Redmountain, Whitewater)
then go north on your way back, powderking, Jasper, kicking horse.

Or start in vancouverwith an RV Dont make too many plans, just follow the snow storms as they roll,in off the pacific. and follow them east.
Start further south, then work you way north as spring comes.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy