Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you help me buy some skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
after many years of walking and climbing around the mountains of Scotland and Europe I was up on the glacier above Saas Fee a couple of summers ago watching the summer skiers whizzing past me. I thought to myself, that's the way to travel around the mountains, so I decided to give this skiing malarkey a bit of a go.

So after dry ski slope lessons back in the UK I got the chance to go on real snow that winter in Switzerland. Very Happy Wow it blew my mind, even though I was snowploughing everywhere Very Happy.

Since that time I have done six weeks' skiing in Europe and as many w/e as I can in Scotland( work and conditions allowing).

I now think it's time to buy my first set of skis, bindings and boots Puzzled .

I'm just an ordinary guy who works in a factory and does not have loads of money to throw around, but I am starting from scratch, so I don't have to marry up old bits of skiing kit with new bits.

I am hoping to do ski touring next year, but will also be with my family on the groomed slopes at February half term in Europe.

I can only really afford one set of skis, bindings and boots. Can you recommend any, and what length ?

In the mix are, Scott Mission or Neo, also Movement IKI`s Volki Snow Wolf and Ski Trab Freerando`s. Do you think they would be ok?.

I am 170 cm tall and weigh 70 kg.

Thanks snowheads.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bargainbill, may I be the first to say get some nice boots fitted before you start thinking about skis..... snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
II wrote:
bargainbill, may I be the first to say get some nice boots fitted before you start thinking about skis..... snowHead

And me be the second Madeye-Smiley

I own the Neos and love them as an all mountain ski. You can see what I think of them in previous posts. They are a bit stiffer than the mission and a little narrower too. Im 82-85 kg (I have no bathroom scales) and ski 176 I'm sure they'd be fine for you too but you could probably ski the shorter one too.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bargainbill, from your biog it sounds like you are a mountain man who skis, rather than a skier who uses the mountains to give you the vertical you need. As such I suspect you will be getting into touring as soon as you can. As such you should get kit that will allow you to tour as well as ski in resort. From your ski selection you're obviously thinking along similar lines. You're a fair bit lighter than me so skis that suit me won't suit you, and I won't make any comments on those you list, but those are the kind os skis that DB uses (IIRC he has/d SnowWolfs), so if he doesn't chip in soon, drop him a PM and ask his advice.

Whatever you get, you should get touring bindings to give you the flexibility to tour. As you've not a huge amount of skiing experience, you're probably best off with Fritschi Freerides. Dynafits are reported to be better for both up- and downhill, but are probably a bit hardcore for someone with still only limited experience. The main downside is that the Freeride does put you quite high above the ski, which not everyone likes. You should also look for some kind of multi-purpose Freerando boots with a Vibram - maybe one with interchangeable flat sole to give you more flexibility if you want to hire a resort-only ski on occasions), and maybe even Dynafit inserts (your boots will probably last you much longer than your first pair of skis and bindings). There are a number of these available now from Scarpa and Garmont (market leaders) and also Black Diamond and Dynafit. What is best will depend on your foot shape.

Unless you get into high performance piste skiing it is possible to get a setup that allows you to do just about everything. There is a downside though - the kit is a bit more niche market and does tend to be a bit pricier. Unless you manage to find a particular eBay deal, www.telemark-pyrenees.com is probably your best friend here.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
GrahamN, RPF, Thank you both for all the useful info and taking the trouble to post. That is a good website. I'll probably go for the Scott Neos. Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Some articles to look at re touring:

http://www.darksummer.co.uk/articles/3

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Ski

http://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk/articles.htm

I'd also advise think about what you want to do over the next few years & buy boots that fit for this. Skis, bindings etc can be bought 2nd hand if you don't want to spend lots of money (here, winterhighland or ebay). Checking boots fit with specific bindings requires research (as GrahamN hints).

winterhighland, highland-instinct & haggis trap have lots of info about touring in Scotland (h-i had the most extensive ref section before the current upgrade, check later this year).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy