Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Anwarter Ski Instructor Qualification

Poster: A snowHead
I would be interested to know if anyone has done this qualification or has any knowledge of it?

Also, is it equivalent to other qualifications ie BASI and does it allow you to work in other european countries other than just Austria?

Finally, does anyone know where it can be done, how long the course is, the cost and how easy it is to find a job once qualified?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
valleyboy, don't know much about it but understand it's a fairly achievable entry level qualification to teach on snow. Outside Austria I think it would only be taken by some ski schools in Switzerland that don't necessarily require a qualification.

I believe it's similar to BASI 1 in terms of technical level, but easier than BASI 2 which is the first BASI "on snow" qualification.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Kitzbühel Ski School, Rote Teufel, gives details of the courses they offer for this qualification here http://www.rote-teufel.at/eng/jobs.html. The data is for previous seasons but gives the general idea.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
valleyboy, If you send a PM for Ronald he's done it, and can tell you what you need to know. AFAIK none of the entry level qualifications are particularly useful for working around other countries - they're a stepping stone.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone, some useful info
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
valleyboy, you have beaten me to the question, as I was just going to ask precisely the same

I'm looking to do my BASI Level 1 at Tamworth in a couple of weeks. Andy Jerram (who is running the BASI course) suggested that I should talk to gilleski, but unfortunately I did not get to talk to him on the 6th at the bash as he was a very busy chap. I also missed the opportunity to talk it through with Toby at Hemel as I was too busy getting free coaching from Ed Drake.......sorry chaps, too good an opportunity to miss wink

Andy's thoughts were that the Anwarter was at a similar level (if not a bit easier) than level 1, but the next Austrian qualification (Landesskilehrer) was much much harder and possibly at a level higher than BASI level 2

I'm looking to do a full season in Austria 09/10 but teaching will only be a bit of a side line, as and if it presents itself. Would like to get my BASI and Anwarter under my belt, so that maybe I can gain some more experience by shadowing other more experienced instructors and helping out if they are very busy, or if I am able to do so.

Perhaps the way forward is to wander down to Hemel again one day and sit down with Pete/Toby over a beer and talk things through.......another opportunity to ski on the great snow and meet all of the folks at Hemel - I don't need much convincing!!! wink Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sleipnir

If you pm Ronald I am sure that he would be happy to send you a copy of the reply he sent me regarding this course which he has done
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Most English people's biggest challenge in the Anwarter is the German exam.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
valleyboy, Easier than the level 1 Basi and qualification is as much use as toilet paper outside of Austria. Level is fairly low and even in Austria they will only let you teach kids and entry level stuff.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Elizabeth B, I don't think the standard of German needed is that high though is it? Enough for emergencies maybe, but not enough to teach in German?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
beanie1, I think it depends on when, where and how you do your exam. I'm led to believe that you should take the whole exam in German if you are a native English speaker, but I've heard stories of people swapping test papers so that they do no German whatsoever! These stories usually come from people who have a job lined up and the ski school are desperate to get them through.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
beanie1 wrote:
Elizabeth B, I don't think the standard of German needed is that high though is it? Enough for emergencies maybe, but not enough to teach in German?

I was under the same impression too and was told that it is possible to even take the Anwärter exam in English (at some places), the German being reserved for emergencies rather than teaching, as beanie1 says. The next level, Landesskilehrer, is German only however

Thanks valleyboy I will drop Ronald a line
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sleipnir, my understanding is that native German speakers have to take the exam in English and native English speakers have to take it in German. So if you can pass yourself off as Austrian then you can take it in English no problem wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sleipnir, Why don't you just ring Hemel and speak to Pete. He was aware on Saturday that someone wanted to speak to him about this qualification and was quite happy to do so. . Alternatively you could PM him on here.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kitty wrote:
Sleipnir, Why don't you just ring Hemel and speak to Pete. He was aware on Saturday that someone wanted to speak to him about this qualification and was quite happy to do so. . Alternatively you could PM him on here.

Good thinking Kitty I'll do that. I was having too good a time on Sat skiing and getting coaching from Ed. When I remembered that I still needed to pick Pete's brains time was pressing on and Pete was no doubt up to his eyes in other snowHead s so I thought I'd leave it
snow report
Here are some more links related to this that I have found on the Internet (all in German, though).

The central organisation for ski instructors in Austria is Snowsport Austria: http://www.skilehrer.at/. Training is, however, organised by the various areas (Länder), e.g. Tyrol or Salzburg. There is a list of them all with links at http://www.skilehrer.at/index.php?id=landesverbaende.

This link http://www.snowsporttirol.at/index.html/hm/328020/um/328060/articleID/328207 gives details of a Skilehrer-Anwärter (Ski Instructor Candidate) course in Kirchberg (near Kitzbühel) in Tyrol. There is a course from 7th-16th December 2009, costing €558 + €86,50 lift ticket). The course starts with an ability test (confident skiing on red pistes required; you get your money back if you fail Smile ), there is a theoretical section (equipment, first aid, teaching techniques, etc.) and a practical part (for teaching adults and children up to a basic level of skiing, recognising problems and correcting them; there is also an introduction to teaching snowboarding Laughing - Austrian instructor training is "polysportiv" - you can hire snowboards, but must bring your own ski equipment).

Successful candidates receive a certificate from the Tyrolean authorities, qualifying them as Ski Instructor Candidates to teach on prepared pistes for a ski school (as others have said, I don't think it is really internationally valid; that only comes at higher grades). There is a form for registration for the course online: http://www.snowsporttirol.at/index.html/hm/328020/um/328060/kid/328207.

If anyone wants anything else specific translated, just contact me (I guess you need to understand some German for the course, though, as I presume the teaching is all in German).
snow report
espri, I had heard a whuile ago that it was possible to take the Anwarter in english in some cases, but we should not be surprised that an Austrin qualification and and Austrian run course would be in german - their native language! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
I know ofpeople who've done the Anwarter and I'm sure they didn't speak German - certainly no more than basic anyway. I'll try and find out.
ski holidays
It may well be that much of the course is in English, as the Austrian instructors that I know seemed to imply that being able to teach in English was one of the biggest requirements of the Anwarter. That's why loads of Dutch and Scandinavians go through that route.
latest report
As I send valleyboy and Sleipnir,

I did the course hosted by a dutch company in cooperation with the Vienna based group..

1 part of the exam is verbal english, apparently this is a decent hurdle for many austrians... Some of my course mates were nervous about it.... I found it pretty darn easy Wink

My course was otherwise almost completely in high-german, by austrian staatlich teachers. We had communication training in dutch; however this was not part of the written exams.

You only need basic german to pass this... The teaching examination in broken german was acceptable on my course.

The courses from the different Länder are slightly different.
ski holidays
Yes, as Ronald indicates, there may be particular courses which have more of an English bias but you'd have to be clear about that at the start. Of course, the organisers may be flexible and be happy to take on any paying customers, though I don't know about that. The details I gave earlier were just an example for the specific course nearest to where I am.
ski holidays
i asked around last year... it seems in the Salzburg region they prefer you to be put through the course by an actual ski school that will be employing you for the season.
So it is more like a teachers' training course certificate rather than an international ski instructors cert.
latest report
flangesax wrote:
i asked around last year... it seems in the Salzburg region they prefer you to be put through the course by an actual ski school that will be employing you for the season.
So it is more like a teachers' training course certificate rather than an international ski instructors cert.

Thanks flangesax that's an interesting point to make, so maybe we should be talking to ski schools in terms of getting Anwärter qualified / certified....

I see you are based in Radstadt. I almost got to ski there in March when conditions in Obertauern were a bit dodgy. Heard lots of good things about the well groomed pistes in Radstadt and Altenmarkt - perhaps this is one of the places I need to 'target' Got any connections at the ski schools? wink
latest report
Sleipnir, Its amazing how much difference a few hundred meters DOWN makes!!

I know the owner of the Radstadt school. He would probably be interested in putting someone forward if they are going to work for him during the season....
If you are in the position to work the season then it may be worth contacting some of the other schools around... altenmarkt, zauchensee (Michi's place), flachau, schladming etc.. etc..
snow report
Sleipnir, If you want a contact that definitely takes on people with BASI training contact me and I'll give you the details. The joint owners are both National Trainers, although one is more active in the training than the other one.

You know the email address - I might need a reciprocal deal for your contact for Business English, even if it is in Amstetten Toofy Grin

Sue
latest report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Sleipnir, If you want a contact that definitely takes on people with BASI training contact me and I'll give you the details. The joint owners are both National Trainers, although one is more active in the training than the other one.

You know the email address - I might need a reciprocal deal for your contact for Business English, even if it is in Amstetten Toofy Grin

Sue

Will do - keep an eye on your Inbox wink
snow report
Sleipnir, valleyboy, I took the Anwarter about 1000 years ago when I worked in Seefeld, Tirol. For what I see now its about the same level as our BASI level 1, although the course is 10 days long. Personal skiing performance doesnt have to be too hot, parallel skier on red terrain.

You will need to demo the "austrian" way mind! This is the crux of the course and lots of time will be spent perfecting Ze Demos Ja! (I can take the pi** out of them as I am part box head)!

On the whole its a good course and the Austrian ski schools will want you to have it. The ideas and technical side are very different from BASI but its all good stuff. Conversational German will be required, however you will have loads of cheese heads taking the course and they can normally speak both English and German (help you through).

PSG
snow report
Now I thought I was up with the lingo but...

Quote:

box head

Quote:

cheese heads

what is it with the whole head thing?... can someone please translate??
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flangesax, cheesehead =Käskopf=Gelbfusse=Cloggie = Stanton's fellow Dutch! You know those idiots that pour down the A8 al the time with their caravans and trailers plus the yellow number plates we just love to see in our rear view mirrors when you are at the tail end of a traffic jam snowHead

Boxhead I'm guessing is something to do with being Germanic, but only a wild guess from the context.
snow report
the Austrian system ir pretty much the same compared to other countries with 4 levels -

1. anwarter
2. landeslehrer teil 1
3. landeslehrer teil 2 (isia stamp)
4. stadtliche lehrer (isia card)

with anwarter, outside Austria, you can work in Switzerland, Germany.
latest report
Samerberg Sue, Correct! A box head is what the Aussies call Austrians!
snow conditions
gilleski wrote:
Samerberg Sue, Correct! A box head is what the Aussies call Austrians!

Correct... of course many of the aussies calling them that are also part( or all) boxhead... Very Happy
latest report
A nice bump... I'm fluent in German.. Do I take the Anwarter course whilst I'm out there for the season? Or the BASI L1 in Hintertux in May? I'd be hoping to teach in Austria/Switzerland/Possibly Japan/NZ.

Does it make a difference which I choose as long as I can get the L2 and the landeslehrer teil 1?
snow report
Timmaah, As a foreigner you must have the support/sponsorship from a ski school in the area where you intend to teach (i.e. Salzburgerland, Tirol, Kärnten, etc.). If you do not have a ski school behind you will will not be accepted on an Anwärter course.

The Salzburger Berufsskilehrerverband has all the requirements in English now. http://www.sbssv.at/en/welcome/

Send me a PÜM if you want more info

Sue wink
latest report
Samerberg Sue, you mentioned that they might be running courses in English soon too, any news on that front? Cheers.

Timmaah, If you speak German (and have the skiing ability, obviously), the anwarter and Landeslehrer should be quicker and cheaper than doing the BASI options. Anwarter is pretty easy, and easy to get a job (in Austria) with. The full Landeslehrer is equivalent to BASI 3 (and I think counts as ISIA? Where Staatliche would be ISTD).
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
Timmaah, As a foreigner you must have the support/sponsorship from a ski school in the area where you intend to teach (i.e. Salzburgerland, Tirol, Kärnten, etc.). If you do not have a ski school behind you will will not be accepted on an Anwärter course.

The Salzburger Berufsskilehrerverband has all the requirements in English now. http://www.sbssv.at/en/welcome/

Send me a PÜM if you want more info

Sue wink

Surely I just need to register myself at an Austrian address at the Landesamt for a few weeks whilst doing the test? That would save me having to get support from a ski school?

Is the Austrian course well respected outside Austria though?
snow conditions
Timmaah, do you actually want to teach next season? If you do then the Anwärter training and exam takes place right at the beginning of the season, allowing people to teach that season. I did mine with the Arlberg ski school way back in the 90s. You might be able to get work in Switzerland and Germany with the Anwärter like some of the others have said but to work internationally you would need the Landesskilehrer 2 ISIA stamp qualification. The BASI level 1 is for those looking to work on artificial slopes or snowdomes in the UK or to progress through the BASI system. You'd need to check with BASI where exactly you might be able to teach with a L2 (have heard of people working in Austria with it but you could do that with the Anwärter anyway) but the Level 3 ISIA is internationally recognised. However BASI L4 is required for France.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 16-10-10 9:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
A friend of mine did Anwarter a few years ago, she was working for a TO in Lech and then decided to stay on and teach the following season. Yes she spent a fair amount of time doing group beginner lessons but because she was English she also did a lot of private lessons including a week looking after one of the Jordanian Princesses which consisted of meeting them at around 11 each day, a scoot round the slopes for an hour, champagne lunch and then take them back to the hotel with a 100 euro tip everyday. I was having a drink with her one time and the Princess rang her to apologise to say she wouldn't be able to make it for her 'lesson' the next day, unreal. The flipside was teaching fat Russians who spent most of the time on their phones and didn't like being told what to Do!
snow conditions
juliad wrote:
Timmaah, do you actually want to teach next season? If you do then the Anwärter training and exam takes place right at the beginning of the season, allowing people to teach that season. I did mine with the Arlberg ski school way back in the 90s. You might be able to get work in Switzerland and Germany with the Anwärter like some of the others have said but to work internationally you would need the Landesskilehrer 2 ISIA stamp qualification. The BASI level 1 is for those looking to work on artificial slopes or snowdomes in the UK or to progress through the BASI system. You'd need to check with BASI where exactly you might be able to teach with a L2 (have heard of people working in Austria with it but you could do that with the Anwärter anyway) but the Level 3 ISIA is internationally recognised. However BASI L4 is required for France.

Ahhh very interesting.. I was under the impression that ski schools outside the UK took on applicants with just the L2... If it will require various examinations and so forth it might be better to go the Austrian route.

Thanks for all the tips guys.
ski holidays
Timmaah, I think in theory they do, but I've yet to meet anyway with a BASI qual working in Austria (a few people on here know people who do/have done, but it still seems to be rare, whereas with the anwarter you should find work in Austria easily). I think a lot of BASI 2's work in Switzerland. I don't think the the anwarter is really recognised much internationally, but the higher qualifications in the austrian system get the recognition you'd expect of one of the world's best skiing nations.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy