Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help settle an argument

Poster: A snowHead
My wife and I were having.... a discussion.... about how to transport our 13 month old daugther around Arcs 1800 when we go in March.

I said it's not worth wasting the boot space (we're driving to resort) on the pushchair as it will be impossible to push it around. The better half thinks that it will be worth taking it in case we can make use of it.

Who's right? Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
m00958, absolutely not going to get drawn into this one.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have you got chains for it?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Laughing

Fair play to that reply. That's the answer of someone who likes a quiet life Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, now there's something the wife didn't think of! Just got chains for the car (195/65R15)... wonder who does chains for 5/80R2 Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Actually, to be a bit more respectful to your partner, what I'd do is ring someone in the resort before you travel and find out how much snow is lying around. From memory there are sizeable pedestrian areas around the shops etc which are kept clear.

Of course, if there's lots of snow around your little one could have fun being pulled around in a sled. Maybe strap the car seat onto one.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 31-01-05 22:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
m00958, Sorry, but I think your wife as it spot on, unless you got big strong arms too carry 2 sets of skis and a daughter. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Backpack?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As long as you don't ski around with daughter in backpack!!! I've seen normal puschairs with runners attached to the wheels. Put the brake on and they work like skis I suppose. 13 month might be too young for a sledge though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Goldsmith, the sled sounds like an excellent idea. She'd love that! She likes being pulled around in the laundry basket as it is Smile

mick newby, sod that! Very Happy The wife can carry her own gear! Being serious though, the wife is booked in for lessons at 09:30, so I'm most likely to be taking the wee-one to the creche on my own.

laundryman, the theory of those things are nice. When she was 3-4 months we borrowed a similar contraption from a friend. After walking around with her for a bit it really started to be hardwork. Now she's 10Kg, and growing rapidly, I don't fancy the idea of a hernia Smile Nevermind the pawing I'd receive with her strapped to my back. I can imagine her removing my hair in handfuls, by the roots Crying or Very sad Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
How about this
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How about a couple of old snowblades and nylon cable ties?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blades Shocked Why not ruin her cred completely;and put her on a snowboard wink Monster-dino snowshoes look a bit cool though.

m0958;do the sensible thing,agree with the wife.Whether it works,or not,you'll still get the blame Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just an observation from a non-child owner: Parents who I have seen in resort using pushchairs looked like they were having a bitch of a time. Snow's easy. It's the hills, narrow lanes/pavements, steps, & cobbles that seemed to get them. In comparison the backpackers/front pouchers looked happy & relaxed.

I'm shooting myself for asking, but I'll risk it anyway - in any event how mobile around resort do you think you need to be with your daughter???? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I took my 15th month old to Kaprun last year. I alternated between using a backpack and a platic sledge for transporting him about town and had no problems. I even took him up to a mountain restaurant in the backpack to have lunch and meet up with the other half. I was using snow shoes and poles. He loved it.... and whislt I nearly had a heart attack climbing up, he fell fast asleep.... snowHead

see pic: Chill out dude

I also spotted a chap in Verbier last year, probably a local, pushing his baby around using a pram and those little skis already mentioned... they looked great.. but with no brakes they might be a bit dangerous. An easy way to loose the kids though I suppose..... if you want to get some serious skiing done !!! wink
ski holidays
Thanks for all your reponses guys Smile

Those monster feet do look rather funky!

snowskisnow, I've conceded, and as long as there's enough room we'll take the pram, just in case. Like Manda suggests, we don't need to be that mobile in resort. After all, she's only going to the creche first thing in the morning, and then back home again in the afternoon.

If she plays up I think we might well use the option of skis/sledge, and see how far she can slide Very Happy
snow report
Why not high a toboggan for small children just came back from Ellmau where my Friends hired a toboggan that had a crib on the back to tow there 14 month old around the resort cost 5 euros a day. As long as there's snow its snow problem.
ski holidays
Might be better to have a sling at the front than a backpack. After all, if you slip and land flat on your back there is nothing you can do. On your front and you can put your arms out.
Our guide from the week before last took his son of the same sorty of age paragliding like that!!!!
At his wedding the bride (complete with white dress), groom, parents and many guests arrived by parachute. (Well, the couple were both in the French Parapente (paragliding) team, and she had been 3 times world champion).
latest report
snowball, I have to say that I don't think that taking a child of that age paragliding is at all advisable. It seems pretty reckless to me.
latest report
Anyone see that Dragons Den episode tonight, with that guy who was making a busines proposition for a cover/umbrella attachment that can be attached to a pushchair which extends backwards to act as an umbrella to the person pushing it (it had a window in the front to see through, and was attached with about 2m long poles!!)

crazy looking thing! Shocked

of course he didnt get any cash out of the investor people! Crying or Very sad
latest report
m00958,
Lots and lots and lots of steps in Arc 1800, no roads and pavements (that we're used to) and when we were there most of the walkaways were snowy/slushy or icy. We've never taken a pushchair/buggy with us for our 4 kids. I wouldn't bother unless I was going late season when the snow is restricted to the pistes themselves. If you're feeling fit, stick your your daughter on your shoulders, although you're best bet is the sledge as mentioned in the other posts.... easy for you and great fun for the children.
snow conditions
Kramer, really? That's where I prefer babies to be (in preference to them being sat behind me on a crowded charter flight).
ski holidays
I'm having the same conundrum for our trip to Banff in March with Grace who will be 11 months. For us the pushchair is more than likely going to be the preffered option, as the town is far removed from the ski areas, which is where the mother in law will spend much of her time marching round. Its flat and kept fairly snow free. However, the papous is my favoured mode of transport when with Grace. As others have said Les Arcs will be hard work with pushchair.
latest report
We always take a push chair. At the very least its an ideal place for little one to sleep at the airport
snow report
Again, thanks for all the words of advice. Never though I'd get so many responses to such a daft argument Very Happy

Unless there's loads of room in the boot the pushchair can rot back in Blighty Smile
latest report
m00958,nothing daft about your question.Its detail such as this,and hopefully a solution,that can make or break a holiday.Have fun snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy