Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question re: Racers....

Poster: A snowHead
Just a quick one, was wondering what teaching qualifications WC racers actually hold whilst still competing (I appreciate that many will go on to teach after they hang up their race skis...)

For example, Chemmy. Understand that she is Britains #1 ranked skier, but what teaching qualifications does she currently have?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Guvnor, probably none unless she took some courses. In the UK they dont automatically get an instructor license but given their ability they are fast tracked and the amount of courses / training required after retirement is on an individual basis. Alain Baxter was taking BASI exams this year for instance. I know one ex WC guy who was required to take quite a few courses...

Im guessing Chemmy might well be exempt from having to take an L1 course wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Guvnor wrote:
For example, Chemmy. Understand that she is Britains #1 ranked skier, but what teaching qualifications does she currently have?

Why not ask her on Saturday ?

National team members get exemption from a fair bit of the BASI syllabus and pay reduced rates for those courses that they do take, it is up to individuals whether they do this though. I know that several of the Development squad members did their L2 in Zermatt after Easter this year.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs, That is what I was thinking about - in this age of elfn'safety and litigious society, was thinking about the insurance aspects of having an unqualified 'instructor' giving a 'masterclass' to groups of children.....decided to ask the question first, before I was accused of trolling wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guvnor, you are David Goldfish and I claim my five pounds NehNeh
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
People in WC circus race not teach Smile Personally I don't know anyone in WC who would have any teaching certification. Those who wanted to go into teaching, take certification after end of racing career, not during racing career.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
primoz, Maiier and Eberharter are both trained ski instructors. I suspect a few other guys and gals probably scraped together a living as ski instructors while on the verge of squads etc.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh I forgot about Maier and Eberharter. But they have "excuse" Smile Maier wasn't in team until he came to WC selection very very late, and Eberharter had long competition break (if I remember right, he won his first WCH in 1991, and then he was few years of WC due injuries, until 1997 or so, when he finally came back), so both had to do something in between Smile
Normally skiers go up from junior selections to senior and they don't really have much need and even less time, to do some teaching in between.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 1-06-09 13:52; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a friend who skied in the WC until a couple of years ago, Kathrin Wilhelm (a member of the Austrian team). Although she has been schooled in ski racing since the age of 10 - the Austrians have a special ski school on the outskirts of Innsbruck - she has no instructing qualifications as such. This having been said, she has had access to some of the best coaches Austria has to offer over the last 15 + years, so is able to pass on advice and tips (she certainly helped me with a couple of things).

You have to remember that in many ways racing is a world away from recreational skiing, although some elements and principles are the same
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Surely you can take advice from anyone at your own risk. Now when it comes to paying directly for it, that is what opens up the issues (and making a contribution to a charitable fund will likely not count).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Well believe it or not, if I have to choose and take advice (free or paid) from any of friends who are racing in WC (or lower level), even if they are without official certification, or someone with this certification, I guess my decision will be simple.... always from guys who actually know how to ski, and not from someone who took some time (and money) and passed certification but has no idea how to really ski.
I have been in skiing so long, that I know people, and their abilities, involved in skiing, teaching skiing or even being in demo teams. And they are nowhere near skiing abilities and knowledge any junior racer has.
But then again, I actually agree with certifications, since without, you can never really be sure who is person giving you advices or tips, if you don't know him/her personally, or if it's not really Palander, Maier, Cuche or Miller Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Personally I think Hermann Maier should become and sports psychologist when he retires since he clearly has much greater determination and ability to 'forget' pain and injury that virtually anyone else on the planet - imagine a team where the injured were coached by him . Shocked However he might go back to his previous life!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
easiski, what, a bricklayer? Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob, You never know!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Maier is inspirational.
snow conditions
I'd recommend his autobiography, "The Race of my life" a fascinating insight into the life of a racer and his personal battle to overcome serious injury.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy