Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Complete Newbie Here

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Went for my first taste of ski at the chill factor e in Manchester this weekend. Really enjoyed it indeed. Im going to look into have some lessons and getting my own equipment. Not going for top of the range or anything just a good starting point. So any tips are welcome.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
John7983, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
Quite a few of us are off to Hemel Hempstead to ski in the new fridge on June 6th. Chemmy Alcott is popping in to teach some snowHeads how to do slalom and there is the oppurtunity to test lots of ski gear Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
John7983, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Boots would be the first thing to go for, but I would hold off on buying skis for a bit.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
John7983, welcome to the madhouse. Enjoy yourself at the fridge using the provided equipment, IMV. As you become surer you want to ski on the mountains next season, I'd look at getting a good pair of boots before you think of buying skis - for which you should probably wait until you have gained a few weeks' experience. Have fun.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
John7983, welcome to the snow-addiction club Wink

Hire gear is fine for the first few weeks, but the most important thing is to get good lessons from the off - bad habits developed early are hard to shift.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yea im def going to be having lessons first then prob get some boots and hire skis ect. Thanks for the welcome Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
John7983, Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead Again, as far as equipment goes, boots are the thing - get them properly fitted, and hang on for skis until you've tried a few different types of hire skis. Be prepared for an obsession that will take over your life as you know it Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
John7983, welcome and glad your enjoying it. Everything above I agree with. Boots can make you or break you. Skis you learn what you like by trying different ones. as Anniepen, said get them properly fitted. Read some boot fitting threads on this forum and you can learn from the mistakes and triumphs of others in finding good boots. I have had bad experiences with one of the large ski shops despite all the talk they do about the importance of bootfitting they struggled to measure my feet correctly Shocked . For the moment though just go out and enjoy every minute of it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yea im going to see about having lessons at chill factor E. Did a 50min session this weekend. First tim and it was amazing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
John7983, its good value over the summer too (Tamworth is anyway).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
John7983, Welcome to snowHead s and the world of obsession! I only started last year and I'm not that good yet but it's already a big part of my life. Your own boots and professional instruction are definitely a must as far as I'm concerned.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the tip. Lessons are the first thing im going to be doing then get some boots. Really enjoyed my first taste of it. We all have to start somewhere dont we eh Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

We all have to start somewhere dont we eh

we sure do, learning to ski is great the sense of achievement everytime you get something to work is wonderful. Also dont fear falling over its part of the sport its not a sign of failure its a sign you are trying. Your brain registers that didnt work and knows not to do it again (it might take a few goes) likewise when you do something right the head says that was good and thats when stuff clicks. Kids learn by playing and trying(you will be amazed how well very young kids ski) adults sometimes forget to play and dont try stuff so go out and play. Just don't come crying to me though if .......................... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RPF wrote:
John7983, its good value over the summer too (Tamworth is anyway).

It'd reiterate everyone's comments. As RPF says, summer is a good time to get deals on your skiing at the various indoor centres; lots of buy one get one free offers, three hours for the price of two, etc. Certainly at Tamworth they still run all (most) of the group lessons, but as it is summer only a handful of people attend. So you end up getting almost one to one teaching, at discounted prices, with fewer people of the slopes. A win win situation

Do all of your learning in the summer and come the winter you can hit the ground running......or should that be the snow skiing? - you know what I mean wink rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Don't be embarrassed to spend ages trying on boots. Keep them on for a while and walk about in them.

Don't just go for comfort with the boots - they need to fit snugly so your feet don't move about in the boot when you try to direct the ski. In fact, when you are not used to wearing ski boots the correct fit will feel quite tight. However there mustn't be any specific pinch points as these will feel worse and worse as you ski with them over a whole day. However, remember too that the boots will bed down and feel less tight after a few days.

Each boot consist of 2 separate parts - a hard plastic outer shell and a soft inner lining which you can pull out to dry it. If you discover after a few hours of skiing that there are a few points where the boots are pressing painfully you can usually get the outer boot "blown out" at that point (plastic-shell heated and pushed out by a technician). For this reason it is best to buy boots in the resort or (as I now prefer because it saves on time in the resort) at a shop by an artificial slope. You can get it done by other shops - in resort they will often do it overnight - but it is easier to get the shop you bought it from to do it. Get advice on here about which shops do the best boot fittings.

The skis that are easiest to learn on will not be the ones you will probably want when you ski faster and better, so there is no point in buying skis till later.

However, you don't just learn to ski and then do it. Lessons will continue to be part of your holidays for a long time, though progressively a lesser part.

Have fun! Very Happy
snow conditions
Anyone else use the chill factor here?
snow report
John7983, No. But I have heard it is excellent. Tamworth is my local mountain its older but has everything you want and great value when they have discount sessions, Ive been to Hemel at the weekend which is very new and super.
snow report
Might have to give that a try.
snow conditions
if you can visit a snow fridge place during the afternoon on weekdays it will be totally dead (judging by snozone breahead)

hence you get better value for your lessons as you share them with less people
snow report
John7983 wrote:
Anyone else use the chill factor here?

Hi John and welcome to SnowHeads. I am a relative newby myself and have been very impressed by the warm welcome I received and the quality of postings

I have recently skiied at the Chill Factore and had an enjoyable time

However, a word of warning, a member of my party was standing at the bottom of the slope waiting for others to join her when all of a sudden a completely out of control young girl came hurtling down the slope and crashed into her at full speed. Luckily they were both wearing helmets

They both ended up amongst the crash barriers and needed first aid

On mentioning it to the on duty supervisor they said that they would have a word but nothing came of it and after half an hour the same girl was duly on the slope again during her kamikaze stuff

I could not believe that her lift pass was not confiscated. To crown it all, in the first aid room her parents said that they had warned her not to ski so fast out of control but that she continuously ignored them

Why she was not barred from returning to the slope I do not know

However, please don't let this put you off. I found the snow was very good quality and the prices were not bad. The centre is easy to get too and has a Snow and Rock and other Ski shops in the complex, together with a good choice of eating establishments (there is even an indoor climbing wall)

It can get very busy on weekends so it is best to get there early to park and get kitted out

You can hire ski clothing on site and they have a fairly good range of skis to hire. They have self service machines which you enter details into ie height, weight etc and it procuces a slip which you take to the hire desk so that they can issue you with your gear.

Hope this helps
snow report
valleyboy,i t sounds like they are getting lax with safety. Perhaps you should email the top brass.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy