Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern anyone? or where alse in austria

Poster: A snowHead
has anyone been, looking for oppinions on this resort. or where else would you go to in austria Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
graeme,

Looks like it just got some fresh snow!!

http://www.luerzer.at/webcam/alm/alm.jpg
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wow
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
graeme wrote:
has anyone been, looking for oppinions on this resort. or where else would you go to in austria Very Happy

Not the most typically Austrian village to look at, instead of being hundreds of years old most of the development has taken place since the 60's.

Only has 2 main streets & if you get caught wandering the village in a snow storm you'll need goggles as its fairly exposed. Could always sit it out in a bar though. The Luerzer was the most popular next door is the Latschen alm if you're into Euro-pop. An old boy called Herman who claims to be the one of only 3 peeps born in Obertauern runs the 'Tyroler' bar tells a good joke & is a good place for a quiet beer.

The runs are short but there seemed plenty to do, you can ski the whole area round & round in either direction but there isn't really a sense that you've travelled anywhere. They've pretty well maximized the area available to them but that means some of the runs cross one another so you often have to look uphill for traffic. There are a couple of interesting blacks, Gamsleiten 2 was fun & was unpisted when we skied it & another off the Panorama bahn.

Stayed in the Enzian Hotel which was excellent, fantastic food too.

Not the cheapest Austrian resort I've been to but would definitely go back, probably best suited to a long weekend though, its only about an hour from Salzburg.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It "seems" to pick up more early season snow than most places in Austria. Not sure if the stats will back that up; opinion based on ad hoc snow-cam observations and snow reports.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There are a few resort reports on Obertauern. The skiing is not the most exciting; shortish runs which are pretty much, with one exception, red or blue. Pleasant skiing, though, and a good lift system. Very good snow record. A competent skier could probably ski it in a day. Good for groups with a few beginners, especially young kids, as all the runs end up back in the resort, so they can't end up 200 miles by road away. The village is purpose built, pretty soulless, but not at all unpleasant. Accomodation is mainly, but not exclusively, largish mid market hotels; the Marietta is very comfortable, as I'm sure are others.

For a few extra Euros you can buy a 'Lungopass' which covers several small resorts lower down and the (not especially frequent) buses between them. The ones we visited were pleasant, very quiet and very small resorts, enjoyable in their own right and very useful when the visibility/wind make skiing in Obertauen impossible or unpleasant. There's also a bigger pass covering more resorts, I think.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 1-06-09 17:35; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hmmmm, so where in austria would people reccomend?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What are you looking for? That may help with recommendations.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i am looking for somewhere that will be ok for a novice, yet good variety for myself. plenty things to do on an evening.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saalbach
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think most Austrian resorts fit what you are looking for.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Obertauern is a nice resort that we'll certainly return to. On the small side and runs shortish but imho sufficient variety to keep the interest of most. Good lift system. An experienced skier can do circuit round both sides of valley in either direction, each in less than half a day but obviously other runs to ski as well. If you like miles and miles of skiing and travelling cross mountains and valleys, never skiing the same run twice etc, look elsewhere. Otherwise generally good but not especially difficult piste skiing (can go off piste to look for challenge anyway), pleasant enough village, easy to drive to, short transfer from Salzburg, ski convenient esp for Austria, high and snow safe esp for Austria. As a largely family group we were perfectly happy skiing there for a fortnight one balmy half-term whilst only swimming was available in the surrounding resorts! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Already got a week booked there for next winter
Only three weeks till longest day then winters on its way Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It is a nice resort, I spent there 5 days about 2 years ago. As others said - snow is very good, apres ski brilliant, modern lifts, interesting runs and nice huts on the mountain. On the down side you can ski all runs in 2 days easily, and most of them are rather short. You won't escape the same runs on your 3rd day for sure, but that was not a big problem for me.

I definitely want to return but I will break the week with day skiing in other resorts nearby. Within approx 45minutes there is an excellent Zauchensee, Schaldming etc. - Salzburger Ski pass will be required to include those.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme wrote:
i am looking for somewhere that will be ok for a novice, yet good variety for myself. plenty things to do on an evening.

Have a look at Kitzbuhel; pretty, plenty of jolly bars and restaurants, plenty for a novice to do and although the on piste lacks any real challenge, it has some interesting runs as well. Lech might be good too; the OL went there as a novice and thrived, and the whole St Anton area is at your disposal.
ski holidays
graeme, Based on my mate's (comes to annual boys trip to St Anton and have been to Oberlech with us a couple of times - once as couples and once with the kids) experience of Obertauern this year, he still thinks Oberlech rules to roost. He even managed a trip to Ischgl too this year. Oberlech is certainly not cheap though.
Other resorts worth consideration - Saalbach, Serfaus, Kitzbuhel and possibly Kappl (near Ischgl).
latest report
Lots of threads on Obertauern if you search here.

I went for a weekend this past winter, and I don't think I'll be back. Not much charm in the village, and the runs were all quite short and not very interesting (having said that, the Gamsleiten 2 was closed due to weather). To be honest, it had the feel of a rather down-market destination (despite being relatively high-priced for Austria) for heavy drinking Germans. There were more people in the bars at 10:00 AM than actually skiing (not that I'll complain abuot the empty slopes). In the evening, we couldn't find any "normal" places for a nice, simple dinner and a nice, quiet drink without hearing the same ten ear-splitting Euro-pop hits over and over and over again.

It was fine, but there are places in Austria I find better.
snow report
ami in berlin is quite right about the bars, although it was the Dutch who filled them when we there during UK and Dutch half term).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy