Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Building a ski hot box

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I'm thinking of building a hot box this summer looked on the net and seems like I can make one for about £70-£80 has any one made a hot box and got some tips Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Care to clarify? And welcome to snowheads.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think Spyderjon made one, try sending him a PM.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah. Am now with it - this bloke made one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you achilles
Sorry I should have put ski hot box
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Glen Charman, i am thinking of making one as well, if you wouldnt mind it writing up your progress it would be great to hear how you get on...

have a look at spyderjon's here http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/50/72/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret,
I will let you now how I get on.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glen Charman, forget a light bulb solution as you can't stop getting hot spots etc.

The key to even temperatures is good insulation, a snug seal on the door & most importantly good air circulation. I was very close to using a tubular heater from http://www.tubeheat.co.uk were Karen will calculate the heater wattage required if you give her the internal dims of your hotbox.

After experimenting a bit the best solution was with a fabricated casing which houses a fan/blower which blows air over a heating element. Here's some information about my hot box pictured on the link above:

- Internal dims are L2000 x H450 x D350mm. I was limited by space so couldn't construct a W2200mm long box to take DH or SG skis.
- The box has a 50 x 20mm external timber frame with a 9mm plywood skin. It is lined with foil covered 12mm plaster/gypsum board. This gives a thin but very well insulated carcass. It's also heavy so the box is mounted on lockable castors. I orignally had a hinged door as I was going to wall mount the box but now the box is on the floor it's best to have a detatching door with a number of catches around it's perimeter. Both the door & the inside of the box & rebated & have foam strips attached to give a very good seal & no air loss.
- The box has two levels. The longer top shelf takes skis up to 195cm length & the lower shelf up to 170cm length.
- My cooking time is 4 hours at 140/150F. Every box runs at slightly different temperatures so do a few test runs starting at 120F to 30mins & check the skis to ensure the wax is fully melted along the full length of the skis. If not then up the temperature by 10F & re-test. There's no problem hot boxing skis with the bindings attached.
- With the initial design as the pic above I found that the heat rose too quickly up the centre of the box meaning that the middle third of the ski heated up too quickly & the tips/tails were noticably cooler as the air did not circulate correctly. I revised the design by extending the top of the heater casing by a metre (cardboard covered in tin foil) to ensure that air entered the box & rose at the right hand end of the box (by the thermostat probe). This has cured the problem & the skis are an even temperature down their full length meaning that the air is circulating well so I've now repalced the cardboard with a sheet of galvanised steel (not shown in the above pic).
- The fan & heater element is housed is an outer casing at the left hand end of the box. The fan motor protrudes through the base of both the casing & the box for cooling. The outer casing is made from sheet metal but it could be easliy fabricated from plywood or mdf.
- The power switch & thermostat/control unit are housed outside of the box with the thermostat probe mounted in the right hand top corner of the box.
- The control unit is wired so that when the required temperature is reached the heater element is turned off but the fan remains swithed on to keep the air circulating. The control unit has been set so that the heater kicks in again if the internal temp drops by 5C.
- The wires used to connect the heater element need to be heat resistant to at least 100C.
- The heater, fan & thermostat/control unit all came from Grainger US as the £ at the time was so strong against the $ then but you can buy from their Swedish distributor.
- Here's the heater element spec & price http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?from=Search&newSrch=yes&operator=keywordSearch&search_type=itemnum&action=Go%21&QueryString=2E925&submit.x=18&submit.y=8
- Here's the thermostat/control unit spec & price http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3ZP77
- Here's the fan spec & price http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/productIndex.shtml?from=Search&newSrch=yes&operator=keywordSearch&search_type=itemnum&action=Go%21&QueryString=1TDP7&submit.x=17&submit.y=6 Note that this is the 110v model. You want the exact same spec but in the 240v version but I couldn't find it on Grainger's US website.

Hope this helps.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glen Charman wrote:
Hi

I'm thinking of building a hot box this summer looked on the net and seems like I can make one for about £70-£80 has any one made a hot box and got some tips Puzzled

me thinks you will struggle to buy the heating equipement on this budget rolling eyes

good luck
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon,
Thanks a big help with all that info on your hot box and the web sites it's set me thinking somemore
CEM you may be wright the thermostat/control is the tuff one
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glen Charman wrote:
spyderjon,
Thanks a big help with all that info on your hot box and the web sites it's set me thinking somemore
CEM you may be wright the thermostat/control is the tuff one

Have a look at CPC - www.cpc.co.uk - for thermostat. 0-90C, accurate to about 4degC, runs 3KW+. Costs £14.50 delivered! Prod code HG00265, variety of othrs available.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Very impressed with the level of detail on this topic. However, this made me wonder, can't I just buy one with warranty for around £1000? I tried to find some online but no luck Sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There used to be an alpine skiing training camp down the road from me... ran by an English chap...
He used to get his trainers from accross Europe and was never really there to manage the base...
One season he had a massive heting bill as the trainers had been using the sauna as a hot-box!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hydroeon, AFAIK there isn't a hotbox on the market - the likely low sales volumes & the shipping cost pretty much kill off a commercial offering. There are a couple of hot 'bags' on the market but they are extremely expensive. The Swix one is over $6000 Shocked
http://www.swixshop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SBD&Product_Code=T007680&Category_Code=swix-hot-box

Why the requirement for a warranty? The heater, fan & control components I listed above come with a manufacturers warranty.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I guess that makes sense. What I meant was that I couldn't find one in Europe. Wow Swix and their prices rolling eyes I mean this one is absolutely fine at £764 http://www.skisauna.com/index.php but it's in the states and I was hoping there would be a few around online in Europe with free shipping, hidden somewhere in German ski stores for example. I sometimes find some serious bargains but always forget the store names

Puzzled
snow report
spyderjon, I love it that you do this so well. XX
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy