Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The kids are ready for a cheeky weekend .....so where to?

Poster: A snowHead
Our kids are 6 and 9 and both came on brilliantly this season. Elder has done a black, is at ease on reds and pulls away from me on blues. The little one is as cool as I have ever seen a little one on skis - blues and reds aren't a problem and he just chills the whole way.

We would like to take them away for 2 nights and 2.5 days skiing (shhh: a day out of school ;-) ) and we live 20 minutes from Stansted. So our criteria is:

*Ease of transfer in Europe, ideally no more than 75 minutes
*Reasonable prices
*Accomodation could even be self catering (anyone got an apartment to let??)
*Good, long intermediate pistes

Any bright ideas?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peter Leuzzi, early flight to Turin? Land aroundd 10am, 90 mins to Serre Chevalier, and you can be on the slopes by lunchtime for three or four hours skiing . There's usually a late flight back if you want to ski on your final day. Plenty of long intermediate pistes, and I know of a good apartment, although it is normally only available for three nights or more.
wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Helen Beaumont, that sounds good. Pity about the 3 nights....if only they would consider doing 2 nights I would likely pay for it all upfront wink wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It may depend on the dates you had in mind.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, how'd you find Champoluc? Accom might be tricky depending on dates though...

If not peak season, Morzine would work - just make sure to book flights as soon as
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Peter Leuzzi, a Cheeky weekend is hard to beat in the Ski Amade resorts. Many are 40 minutes from Salzburg, pre booked taxis are just over €40 return pp and there is a plethora of B&B's and appartments that do day rattes. Good, cheap food, and a great lift system.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name, loved it. Owe you an email too, don't I? Sorry about that. It is a place I would love to go back to but probably not straight away. We skied all of it very quickly (pistes, that is) and I think I need a little more sedate runs for the kids. Italy is always a winner with kids though.

Considered Morzine as well as I think theyd love it and Les Gets.

Frosty the Snowman, already in mind. I'm a big fan of Schladming but there are tonnes of resorts alongt that stretch are there not?

Helen Beaumont, thinking after February half term and before end of March as we have our family trip proper at Easter. So, early March?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Morillion, Les Carroz would be good. they are within an hour of Geneva not far from Morzine. Both are quiet but nice vilages and not over priced. Morillon has long green some nice blues and easy reds. Lez Carroz has nice blues steeper reds and some nice blacks similarly with Samoens. All of these are on the cheeper pass. They are in the trees too so if the weather turns you will still be able to see. Flaine has loads of nice terain and they will love the reds and blues here it can be accesesd with a full Grand Massif pass. But there are no trees and if the light goes flat or you get a white out you wont see much also if the wind gets up the lifts linking Flaine to the other areas close. So dont buy a full area pass before you get there.

snowHead Marcellus has a place in Les Carroz and another snowHead did a family trip there recently and stayed with him and gave it very good reviews.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Marcellus - come forth please!

Helen Beaumont, will you PM me some info please?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Leuzzi, Kitzbuhel? It's an easy transfer from Munich by road or (slightly longer but very conveniently) by train. Plenty of pensions which will happily do short stays outside the busiest times (Xmas, NY, Hahnenkamm race, HT). Les Carroz would also be a good choice, although Kitzbuhel is a jollier place.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is the review I mentioned above.
Marcellus has a link to his site at the bottom of his posts
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51560&highlight=marcellus+les+carroz
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Peter Leuzzi,
Les Carroz! 50mins from Geneva by car, very reasonable prices, good links to Flaine, haven't stayed with Marcellus but spoke to him when I was there and he was very helpfull, top bloke!
We went in Jan, 7am flight from L'Pool to Geneva, we were skiing at 12.30 that afternoon. On the last day we skied until 4pm and caught the 9pm flight home.
Do us a favour though, keep this between ourselves, it's a great little resort and we don't want too many people finding out about it!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Peter Leuzzi, when? Fly to Salzburg. Hundreds of resorts/stations within about an hours drive including the Kitzsteinhorn glacier (stay in Kaprun, a few minutes easy drive each morning to large carpark at glacier station).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
slikedges, likely first two weeks in March.

What about Italian resorts? Any thoughts?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Courmayeur is pretty close to GVA, an easy drive, and would make a great weekend, I'd expect. Good restaurants, lovely scenery, what more do you want?
ski holidays
Courmayeur is also an easy motorway drive from Turin - accomodation is not ski-in skit out, but they are well used to weekend stays there
latest report
Turin then if good snow Milky Way very near, else Courmayeur, Pila/Aosta
ski holidays
Turin also gives you ready access to resorts like Cervinia, Pila, La Thuile, courmayer. I did a 3 dayer to Cervinia and even though it was peak time (between Christmas and New Year), it was easy to sort out accommodation for the three of us. Also done a 3 dayer to La Thuile and that is well worth it.

Grenoble gives quick access to Alpes d'Huez and Les Deux Alpes, but many other French resorts are not that far away.

With Ryanair Stansted flights to Grenoble, Turin, and Salzburg, your choices are almost unlimited. Depending on what are your primary criteria, you are probably best just waiting to see which of the 3 airports give you best flight times/prices and then pick the resort after that.

You can't really go wrong. Enjoy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Sauze D'Oulx is an hour up the motorway from Turin and flight times are pretty good from Stansted. Avoid the school holidays you should be able to get somewhere to stay in Sauze (or San Sicario next door).
ski holidays
Ray Zorro wrote:
Turin also gives you ready access to resorts like Cervinia,

Peter, you know it makes sense! Laughing
snow report
nbt wrote:
Courmayeur is also an easy motorway drive from Turin - accomodation is not ski-in skit out, but they are well used to weekend stays there

We tried to arrange one last year, but still didn't find anything for a short break, hints and tips welcome as we get free lift pass for Courmayeur with our Serre Che season pass.
snow report
Helen Beaumont
Quote:

We tried to arrange one last year, but still didn't find anything for a short break, hints and tips welcome as we get free lift pass for Courmayeur with our Serre Che season pass.

For easy access (by car) to Courmayeur you could stay in Aosta - a historic Roman town with an old centre that's full of character (cobbled streets, amphitheatre and triumphal arch) - and bargain food and drink. On the accommodation front there's a cheap place (currently 50-55 euros/double room) we've used which is flexible on dates. It's called Albergo Mancuso - basic but clean and comfortable enough and a short walk from the historic centre. (http://www.albergomancuso.com/default.asp.) There's also a Holiday Inn if you're a bit more fussy/upmarket orientated - though that's a bit further from the centre. We've also turned up on spec and got a one night stay at a central B&B (can't remember the name...) via the tourist office.

Pila (direct gondola access from Aosta) won't be on your lift pass but is also worth a look for a day or two.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, to be fair I've only ever gone with organised breaks where a travel agent has organised it, but there are lots of places: We stayed at the Hotel Dei Camosci on our last trip

http://www.hoteldeicamosci.com/

Nice enough place (starters are far nicer than main courses when you're there with Crystal, I suspect they cater to a budget), it's about 15 minutes walk into town but they will run you down to the lift in a minibus and pick you up from the lifts at the end of the day. Did you get ion touch with the tourist info office? It really is a place that caters for the weekend people from Turin and Milan so I'd be surprised if no-one was willing to do a weekend stay, although I suppose it depends how far in advance you want to book
ski holidays
mountainaddict, we need somewhere reasonably close to the slopes, as we normally have our dog with us. Finding somewhere for her wasn't a problem, it was the weekend accommodation that was. Perhaps it was because we wanted an apartment?
ski holidays
nbt wrote:
starters are far nicer than main courses
I reckon that is true of most meals that I've had in Italy. Delicious anitpasti or pasta followed by a rather dull bit of grilled meat and veg or an uninspired casserole thing. There have been notable exception, of course; excellent calves liver in Venice, great steak and unctuous tripe in Tuscany, but usually main courses are a bit ho hum.
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Perhaps it was because we wanted an apartment?

I think that's your problem, these places seem to be geared to people looking for hotels
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy