Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thinking about Tignes Les Brevieres... anyone been?

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at options for Easter 2010 and can't believe the prices generally!!

I rather fancy Tignes, and wondering about Les Brevieres. We will be two families with 5 kids (or even young adults!) aged from 14 to 19.

Not seen much on here about Les Brevieres, so has anyone been? What are the plusses and minusses?

Does the bus still run up to Le Lac/Val Claret of an evening?

Thanks for any help.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have been though rather along time ago. It's a bit dominated by the dam. Prices in the area as a whole are high for eating etc. No idea about the busses now but there were only infrequent day time ones when I went.

Big snow sure area obviously but takes a bit of time to get to the main area and particularly the glacier. If ski school is important it might take a bit of time to get to as well, I would check that out.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Such a lovely environment and lesser costs that all else pales. And the Vallon se la Sache. Go for it.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ray Zorro, I've not stayed in Les Brevieres myself, but having been to Tignes oodles of times now (in Le Lac and Val Claret and stayed in Les Boisses once as well), I definitely would see if you can get a good deal in Le Lac or Val Claret. It's so close to everything there, I think like others have alluded to, it might end up being a while to get to ski school and all that from Brevieres unless you found one that was local there, although the buses to and from Tignes itself are very regular and prompt. They will be pretty busy at Easter though.

If it was me, I'd try and get in Val Claret or Le Lac and that's where I always stay for convenience. Mind you, I don't go at Easter time because I haven't got a family like you have and therefore if I did then I'm sure the prices might sway me elsewhere from my recommendations above. Hope you find something nice.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 27-05-09 23:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There are some reasonable places to eat on and at the bottom of the mountain if you shop around, for example, the food at the Carline at the bottom of Les Lanches chair is not much cop in my opinion and mega expensive. However, just outside the Carline there is a small snack bar that sells paninis of different kinds and you can get a large panini for 5.50 Euros each. A lot cheaper and equally as filling as a spaghetti bolognese indoors for 15 Euros a piece. They sell the paninis indoors as well actually on the snack menu for same price if you didn't want to sit outside but at Easter time you probably would do. Also the Aspen cafe up the road by the shops in Val Claret is very good value (for Espace Killy) you can get a great big burger and chips (big portion too) for about 8 Euros-again much cheaper than the Carline.

If you've not been before, the skiing is ace. Varied terrain although not much in the way of easy runs for beginners or early intermediates, who might find the area tough compared to say, the Three Valleys.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro, No, not for what you want..
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
JT, Laughing that is pretty decisive!! Why specifically?

Thanks all for comments thus far.

We wouldn't need ski school and I was hoping that generally the snow would be fine to ski back and that we'd not need to just ski the glacier each day.

This year we did something equivalent, staying at Montalbert, and from a skiing perspective, I quite enjoyed being away from the main resort and doing the extra runs to get home each night. It will be quicker than Montalbert to get going each morning, I can see that it will be 2 lifts and a ski to get to Le Lac or 3 lifts to Val Claret.

I've been twice to Tignes before, a week in Le Lac and 3 days in Les Boisses and I can remember skiing down to Les Brevieres, but no idea what the village was like. So, that is what I was wondering about the most, if the kids wanted to find a bar with live music etc, what could they do?

Saying all that, I would probably prefer Le Lac or Val Claret for convenience, but not many chalets for 10 have come up for either of those two on our searches thus far Confused .
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed in Les Brevieres last year just before Christmas for a week. Really liked it. Nice village with a couple of good restaurants and definitely one bar with pool table and English TV. Don't think the bus runs at night from Les Brevieres but might from Les Boisses. Used the bus back from Le Lac to Les Boisses and skied home from there one day as we were knackered! Was no problem getting up to the main lifts and no queues. We stayed self catering but in a lovely chalet style apartment. But they also do other apartments in the residence which has pool etc.
http://www.holiday-rentals.co.uk/p93180
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Stayed in tigne les brevieres a couple of years ago - and thought it was great. My friends kids were in the local ESF ski school who were good. It was half term and my friends eldest daughter was doing her gold star. It started off with her and the instructor at the beginning of the week, by the middle of the week they added a couple of french lads who were in the competion group to increase the numbers. I think they had a great time - though not sure they did much gates work. I think they spent alot of time doing obscure untracked offpiste the instructor knew.

Getting out of brevieres to the main area was OK with a large fast gondola up to Tigne, could be busy first thing in the morning and at lunch, but rest of the day was relatively quiet. Runs back were nice and included the Sache black.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dave Horsley, bit of a while since I have been in Tignes - but IIRC Sache is one of those blacks where the going is often better off-piste - and the red could get a bit thin. Don't think I have taken the blue - so can't comment on that. Great restaurant at the bottom of the runs.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ray Zorro, There was someone on here last season doing a very bad ham fisted spamming thread with a property down there. Looked at it for a group but seemed to be not the right place for our group.

Search the resort in relevant section it may be of interest to you.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ray Zorro, we've stayed in Tignes 3 times at Easter (and are going again in 2010). Our experience on all three occasions was that it was skiable all the way down to les Brevieres but getting very heavy and a bit bare in the afternoons.
We will be staying in le Lac in a chalet (which I'm not sure how I'm going to afford Sad )- but unfortunately we only have 4 spare places otherwise I'd be happy for you to make up the numbers.

The only reatl tip that I have about les Brevieres itself is don't touch the first restaurant on the left as you come down from above, its prices are the most eye-watering I have come across in Espace Killy (and the food was rubbish too).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ray Zorro, because the teens will be out on a limb...which is what the village is..

The gonodola up is ok...and connects with another chair which you need to gain enough height to get into main Tignes hub. Once up and over you are fine ski-wise..until you come back and you must be making these connections by around 3:30 at Tignes central... admittedly this was pre xmas, so the lifts might run later at Easter.. and then it is a long ski down to Le Brev. If you make it over tio Val and have a good ski there..this is a long day.

The village itself is quiet and normally that isn't a problem but it depends on the teenagers

Agree that L Sache is good condition is great if you cut off-piste but you can get a bit lost lower done and in the trees
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro wrote:
Looking at options for Easter 2010 and can't believe the prices generally!!

I rather fancy Tignes, and wondering about Les Brevieres. We will be two families with 5 kids (or even young adults!) aged from 14 to 19.

Not seen much on here about Les Brevieres, so has anyone been? What are the plusses and minusses?

Does the bus still run up to Le Lac/Val Claret of an evening?

Thanks for any help.

No buses from Brevieres to the rest of Tignes at any time of the day.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, When we go up to Tignes in the summer it is a surprisingly long drive from Les Breviere up to the carpark for the glacier, so given Kenzie's comment above may be not so clever if the Zit's are looking for nightlife wink
ski holidays
Quote:

I was hoping that generally the snow would be fine to ski back and that we'd not need to just ski the glacier each day.

I have been to Tignes for the last days of the season (ie first weekend in May) for the last 3 years. Each year I have been able to ski back to Les Brevieres at 1500m - albeit on soft snow/mush. Nevertheless, runs are always complete. This year there was fresh snow down to 1300m on our arrival on 29th April. We parked at Les Brevieres, which was a snow covered winter wonderland - more like January than end of April! April 30th was a fantastic blue sky powder day and was just amazing. Twice out of the last three years we have had powder at that time of year.

Virtually all of the Espace Killy was open into May - which is normal for the area. There is absolutely no way that you will be skiing "just the glacier" in early April!! People mistakenly associate April with lack of snow - but nothing could be further from the truth. If they wanted to, the high French resorts would have enough snow to stay open longer into May as they have so much snow - sadly they don't.......
ski holidays
Quote:

If you make it over to Val and have a good ski there..this is a long day.

I timed it this year - ie coming back from the top of Le Fornet at Val D'Isere to reaching the bottom of Les Brevieres by the most direct route. It's quite a long way in terms of distance but the journey time is probably not as long as you'd think.

Skiing at moderate speed (not full belt) it took 1 hour and 40 mins. Of that, about 60 mins was spent on lifts - about 7 lifts in total as I recall. There were no lift queues. It was at the end of April and snow was soft/sticky/mush in places - so it could be done quicker in faster snow conditions.
latest report
mountainaddict, ok..then depending on the skier you are talking about turning round from Val at about 2:30 so you need to up and over Toviere and down into Tignes by 3:30 or whatever the last lift is..
I recall you still need 2 lifts up from there... but might be mistaken if you are just trying to make connections...
We went up to Peclet as the OP on the Sache was in VG nick...

To go from one extreme to the other of the lift system... means you will not have too much time for the good bits in between...

That type of skiing is mostly about mileage and getting from A-B. There is too much stuff in the middle to spend time on.. but if that suits then Le B might be ok...

I'd prefer to stay more central myself but if I got the right price break, I'd consider Le B... but if there was only 100-150 Eu in it..then, NO..

But for the OPP....depends on the teenagers as to whether it will be ok...
ski holidays
Hi
I go to Tignes les brevieres most seasons and find it a perfect base. No queues and the red or blue run down into la lac is the perfect way to start the day.
Last year a new company opened chalets it Les Brev and now there is a quality ,mid price place to stay as well. I recomend the chalet Bonjour bonjour http://www.skitigneslesbrevieres.co.uk
Check them out on trip advisor!
Go to tignes les Brevieres - you will not regret it.
snow report
mad skier, What do they serve for lunch? rolling eyes
snow conditions
Guvnor, Laughing
ski holidays
sorry this is somewhere to stay.
AsI stay in les brev I never lunch there so can not help
latest report
Guvnor, wink
snow report
JT

Quote:

you are talking about turning round from Val at about 2:30 so you need to up and over Toviere and down into Tignes by 3:30 or whatever the last lift is....

Quote:

I recall you still need 2 lifts up from there... but might be mistaken if you are just trying to make connections...

From the top of Toviere, if you ski down to Chaudannes Chair at Le Lac that's the only lift you need to connect back to Les Brevieres. It shuts at 5pm at the end of the season - which means that (lift queues permitting) you could set off back from Le Fornet as late as about 3.30...if you dare chance it.

Quote:

To go from one extreme to the other of the lift system... means you will not have too much time for the good bits in between...
Agreed. Only did it because we needed to move the car from its free spot wink in Les Brevieres.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy