Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpine Experience publicly apologises to Ski Club of Great Britain over 'Shenanigate'

Poster: A snowHead
Alpine Experience has, apparently, begrudgingly withdrawn accusations and publicly apologised to the Ski Club of Great Britain, on the AE news blog, for the 'shenanigate affair'

Quote: "We’ve had plenty of comments from a certain Ski Club Member who seems pretty upset by the wording in my March 6th news update. I apologise for the use of the word ‘shenanigans’ and the fact that Andreas seemed to think that the group of 12 Ski Club of Great Britain Members was one group, when in fact it was a couple of groups grouped together. I was also wrong in stating that SCGB Reps are not allowed to ski off-piste with members. They are allowed but as I understand it they must stay within reasonably easy access to the piste."..."Embarassed"
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OMG did someone say "shenanigans"?!?!?!?!

this bit is great:

Quote:
Andreas seemed to think that the group of 12 Ski Club of Great Britain Members was one group, when in fact it was a couple of groups grouped together

Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes but the question is, "how grouped together can groups be before they constitute one group - is there such a thing as 'a little bit grouped together'?"
There's something for members to look forward to at the next SCGB AGM Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sounds like a fun "group"...where do I sign up? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
sounds like a fun "group"...where do I sign up? Toofy Grin

Here see you in the chat room Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do they have dirty scrabble?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
....or was it one group that formed two cliques? Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
OMG did someone say "shenanigans"?!?!?!?!

Laughing Laughing Shut up Farva.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
One group was passing the other but stopped to help a fallen skier. For that moment the two groups were linked.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is there actually anyone under the age of 60 that is a member of the SCGB? Surely the only shenanigans they get up to consists of putting their bumbags on the wrong way round Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morrissey, Laughing Tremendous first post. You'll fit in nicely around here. Welcome.....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Easy tiger. The SKGB might ensure you get a slap on the patio. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Morrissey, Great first post not so sure about the music Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Morrissey, that's right. SnowHeads appeals to a younger demographic. How us 50-somethings chortle at cracks like that! Laughing
snow conditions
Morrissey wrote:
Is there actually anyone under the age of 60 that is a member of the SCGB? ......

Probably. I am over 60 - and left the SCGB because of its ageist holiday programme policy. OTOH - I get a bit bored of bashing the SCGB being seen as a snowheads' bonding thing. sHs don't seem to be able to grow out of that - so perhaps we are more juvenile - in attitude at least.
snow conditions
I thank you all, I aim to please, I danced my legs down to my knees. Now I really must rest if I am to make the Brixton gig on Friday (under doctors orders). I guess my longing for the slopes of Califonria is the cause of my vocal vexation.

Fatbob, "you can pin and mount me like a butterfly"...................
snow report
sahsah wrote:
Alpine Experience has, apparently, begrudgingly withdrawn accusations and publicly apologised to the Ski Club of Great Britain, on the AE news blog, for the 'shenanigate affair'

Quote: "We’ve had plenty of comments from a certain Ski Club Member who seems pretty upset by the wording in my March 6th news update. I apologise for the use of the word ‘shenanigans’ and the fact that Andreas seemed to think that the group of 12 Ski Club of Great Britain Members was one group, when in fact it was a couple of groups grouped together. I was also wrong in stating that SCGB Reps are not allowed to ski off-piste with members. They are allowed but as I understand it they must stay within reasonably easy access to the piste."..."Embarassed"

Interesting stuff must have gone on in the background to lead to such an apology and so long after events. A nasty legal letter maybe? "Shenanigans" is a pretty tame and almost meaningless term and it's pretty pathetic that anyone could get upset enough by it to put the frighteners on another party and successfully draw attention to the whole affair once again after it had been long forgotton. That's called an own goal isn't it? A guide saw what he saw and felt strongly about it. It's been explained since but dragging the subject up again as a result of applying legal or commercial pressure merely reminds us onlookers to doubt the explanation.
ski holidays
If I buy SCGB membership from a ski club rep on the piste at Hemel will I get 18 months membership for the price of 12?? Very Happy
ski holidays
Boredsurfing wrote:
If I buy SCGB membership from a ski club rep on the piste at Hemel will I get 18 months membership for the price of 12?? Very Happy
Less of your shenanigans please
latest report
Bode Swiller, or perhaps AE realised that they had been twits who had misinterpreted the situation and blogged first and asked questions later?

snowHead in a coma I know..., Strangely - I seem to ski with younger people when I ski with the SCGB than I do when I ski with snowHeads. Look at the membership demographics in the last annual SCGB report if you can be bothered to look at the facts rather than trot out tired cliches.
ski holidays
Bode Swiller,

I think your speculation of commercial or legal pressure is way off the mark. I believe there has been a debate on the SCGB Chat pages that has concluded that a vast number of the assumptions made by an AE guide were wrong, and that accusations of wrongdoing by AE of the SCGB skiing members & rep in the public domain were wrong. Alpine Experience has acknowledged wrongdoing in making an apology. Perhaps you should question the motives of AE in delaying the apology until the end of the season when readers of their news blog are inevitably less.
latest report
sahsah, I'm not privvy to the SCGB forum. It's just the way it looks to an outsider.
snow report
sahsah wrote:
Perhaps you should question the motives of AE in delaying the apology until the end of the season when readers of their news blog are inevitably less.

maybe they had better things to do?
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
.....maybe they had better things to do?

As opposed to when they wrote the original story, when it was whizzo fun to bash another organization, seen as opposition.
ski holidays
achilles, How can they be seen as opposition? One is a commercial organisation with highly trained, highly qualified professionals, whereas one, errmm, isn't
ski holidays
Guvnor, quite. So why the righteous squawk in the first place? Because the commercial organisation with highly trained, highly qualified professionals saw punters enjoying themselves and not paying the commercial organisation with highly trained, highly qualified professionals. Who therefore saw their business being less prosperous in a season when professional takings were down - who - in other words, may have seen the SCGB as opposition to the commercial organisation with highly trained, highly qualified professionals? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
achilles, From what I remember of the blog, there was some concern as to the actual safety of the situation as they saw it at the time.....clearly, and following who knows what intervention, this situation has been clarified and the concerns withdrawn
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles, it was a few lines on a blog which somehow has been blown up into "shenanigate" - big deal!

all the OP has done is reminded people of a story they would otherwise have forgotten about and in the meantime make the SCGB look petty

it hasn't done anything to change my views of the repping service (which is one of indifference)
latest report
The quote may contain the word "apologise" but the rest of the quote doesn't give the impression of an apology.
snow report
Arno, I don't care whether you are indifferent to the repping service - I may never use it again either, especially since I am no longer a member. I am disappointed that some sHs still enjoy bashing the SCGB, though, and have used this thread to do so, especially in a case where SCGB members seem to have been doing the right thing (helping a fallen skier).
ski holidays
achilles, fair enough but I do think the OP provided a big wide open goal for SCGB bashers to shoot at

i should clarify that my first post was a comment on the silliness of the story than necessarily representative of my views on the SCGB generally Little Angel
snow conditions
achilles,
Quote:

some sHs still enjoy bashing the SCGB

and the words David and Goldsmith are surprisingly absent Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Quote:
some sHs still enjoy bashing the SCGB

Indeed. Why does an irrelevant organization full of hooray henrys get such coverage here? I know SHs formed as a split-off from the SCGB forum but that was over five years ago.
latest report
Sideshow_Bob, interesting question. But in the way you respond - you partly answer the question.

Not sure I can remember skiing with any Hooray Henrys on 6 club holidays, or when skiing with reps. Actually a rather similar cross section to the snowHeads groups I have skied with. And as regards the age bit mentioned by Mozzer 52% of members known to be below 45, >75% below 55.

But let's not get the facts get in the way, let's perpetuate an out-dated 70's class-warrior view that the SKGB are a bunch of elderly toffs. Chips back on both shoulders everyone! Toofy Grin

Frosty the Snowman, spot on. Interestingly - I believe the SKGB does use AE guides for one of its holidays. I wonder if it will continue to do so...
snow conditions
stoatsbrother wrote:

Not sure I can remember skiing with any Hooray Henrys on 6 club holidays, or when skiing with reps. Actually a rather similar cross section to the snowHeads groups I have skied with.

That's pretty much my experience as well, but stereotyping is soo much fun isnt it? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Got to say I'm on achilles, side of the road with regard to SCGB-bashing. Take the p*ss, OK but the band-wagon, bashing gets monotonous.

(Hello stoatsbrother, are you back then ??)

Also interesting how stats can be used:

Quote:

>75% below 55

If someone stated that, then there's a reasonable assumption it's less than 80%. So conversely it could be stated as 'over 20% of SCGB members are over 55'.
snow report
My experiences come solely from listening to the groups and reps braying on in restaurants at lunchtime about how amazing their skiing is and calling Tarquin and Tabatha back in the office to harp on about how legend their trip is. They then go out and ski in the most appalling fashion. I guess in that respect it's not too different from a SHs bash NehNeh

I've skied for 20 years, most of it at a reasonable standard, and I've also skied with a number of rather good skiers and I've never once seen the advantage that being a member of the SCGB would bring either me or them. There are plenty of other organizations that run trips tailored to one's standard, SHs being just one of them, and these don't require paid membership. I have no qualm with the existence of the club nor anyone who joins it but I do get annoyed when I hear about SCGB acting as the representative body for British skiers or talk about their members and the general British skier as interchangeable.
ski holidays
666 wrote:
Also interesting how stats can be used:

Quote:

>75% below 55

If someone stated that, then there's a reasonable assumption it's less than 80%. So conversely it could be stated as 'over 20% of SCGB members are over 55'.
It is interesting: here's another one:

The proportion of the population over 60 was, in 2007, just under 20%.

If less than 25% of SCGB members are over 55, it may have a younger age profile than the population at large.
snow report
I'm an old fart .. my only exposure to the SKGB it the senseless, rude, personalised kicking of shoite out of fellow SKGB members that has happened on this forum. Gawd knows ( and why would I want to be a member after that gratuous self-flagellation) what their behaviour is like behind their own walls. Why would anyone want to find out ?

Not a snowHead SCGB-bashing bash, personalised reactions to (some of) their members' behaviour here which one can only assume is representative of the organisation itself..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy