Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arranging Adaptive Courses

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

My name is Robyn, I am a Lvl 2 instructor with a profoundly disabled son. As such I have a vested interest in pursuing Adaptive Instruction and am determined to get Adaptive Courses running as opposed to being scheduled then cancelled. If you are interested, or even curious to learn more about Adaptive Courses I would like to hear from you or alternatively you can contact Disability Snowsports UK (DSUK). Ultimately this is to liaise between you guys and BASI to have courses scheduled at times convenient to all concerned. At present there is scope to run a course at the Chill Factor-e in Manchester sometime in July but hopefully many more can be organised!

Cheers,
Robyn Burrows

or
DSUK: sophiewood@disabilitysnowsport.org.uk
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rburrows, Robyn

Welcome to Snowheads. A group of L2 instructors on here have done exactly that recently, successfully liaised with BASI to arrange a course (Adaptive Second Discipline) at a time a group of us could do, in July at Hemel. Unfortunately it's now full! But I'm sure similar things can be arranged in future. Suggest you just regularly kee an eye on this forum.

And welcome to Snowheads!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Beanie1,

the Hemel experience is what inspired me to try and do the same up north at the Chill Factor-e, and if necessary for anyone else needing help to get on a course in the months ahead.

Wishing you guys a great time at Hemel!

For anyone interested we are hoping to do a two week course July 13-24 at Chill Factor-e in Manchester.

Still hoping to arrange a course or two for Sept/Oct as well.

Cheers,
Robyn. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would be interested in participating in Adaptive Instruction courses but live out in Bavaria. I am not BASI qualified but do have a German instructor qualification. I tried to get onto a BASI adaptive course which was scheduled to take place in Bavaria this past winter but BASI never answered my enquiries Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad (I think the course was eventually cancelled). I would appreciate hearing about what is going on.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi espri,

so sorry to hear of your experience. I've had to speak to the ladies in the BASI office a few times and they really are very helpful.

As things stand at present you can not book onto an adaptive course without having attained the BASI Alpine Lvl 1, however changes are on the way. BASI have been discussing the whole adaptive course issue this past week. As I understand it, as from November you will no longer have to be BASI qualified to attend an adaptive course. Instead Adaptive will be run as a stand alone discipline, as are Alpine and Snowboarding.

Keep your eye on the website. You should have no problems getting onto a course this winter coming. There is still the issue of ensuring enough people sign onto a course for it to run. You would be looking at doing a 10 day course (Lvl 2) which would qualify you to work in Europe.

The July course at Chill Factor-e is now looking like it will be a 5 day course (probably 13-17/7) covering bi-ski and learning disabilities. I'm unsure at the moment but believe, should one pass, you would be able to teach those particular modules at indoor slopes in the UK and give you a Lvl 1 qualification.

Its late and I'm bit tired so hope I have made sense and helped. I'd love to hear how things work out for you. Keep us posted Toofy Grin

Cheers,
Robyn.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Missing-Snowman,

Many thanks for the information. I too found the ladies at the BASI office helpful and I assume that they forwarded my query but it seemed to get lost after that.

The other developments you mention sound very interesting and I will certainly keep my eyes open.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The dropping of the requirement for BASI 1 is great, it finally means that people who do the disability work can get on the courses, assuming of course someone is available to answer the queries. We gave up looking for courses in the end as none of us qualify, I'm SSE (ASSI), other half is an experienced disability helper, son is CSIA. I will keep an eye out to see what comes up after November and see if we are accepted.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Missing-Snowman, did the Adaptive course at CFe go ahead?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1, yes it did.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK, just I have a friend who'd like to try and get another course organised!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beanie1, we had two participants on the course who had hoped to do the one in Hemel, cost them a bit extra to stay at the Travel Lodge!
In the end it was shortened to 5 or 6 days, 5 for Bi-Ski and Learning Difficulties and the 6th day was for Visual Impairment. It was a great course and will be very useful, highly recommended. Little Angel

As a standing offer to any future BASI course attendees at Chill Factor-e, Robyn and I can offer a camp bed just 10mins away.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Missing-Snowman, oh right, so you did 3 modules on the course, it wasn't the straight L1 course then?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beanie1, is your friend interested in a level 1 or 2 course? Where would they like it to run?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Missing-Snowman, Just trying to rack my brain now as to which friend it was!! Will get back to you...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Espri, have you seen BASI are holding adaptive courses, Lvl 1 & 2 in Zermatt this November?
latest report
Missing-Snowman wrote:
Hi Espri, have you seen BASI are holding adaptive courses, Lvl 1 & 2 in Zermatt this November?

Thanks for the tip! I had seen that these courses are on and I was sorely tempted. However, I'm in the process of moving house around then, so I fear sadly that I won't have the time (or cash) this year for ski courses.
snow report
Stressful time moving house, hope it all goes well! Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy