Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ever ski season at the mighty age of 25 ;-)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I have been reading as many posts as possible from this site to see what you seasoned professionals think of doing a ski season and also who you reccommend.

I couldn't find anything on a couple of TO's though and wondered if you'd give me a bit of advice...

What do you think of:

Meriski
Ski Basics

I would love to work for silver ski, but I want to be a Chalet Host and they only take couples Sad

I have a good job in events at the moment but have always wanted to do a ski season so thought that I may as well do it now whilst I am commitment free and able to enjoy it! I obvioulsy want to ski as much as possible but also love to work hard, so I'm not daunted by the hours and full on nature of the job.

I really hope that I can find something and any pointers in the right direction will be very much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Kat

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 21-05-09 12:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go to natives.co.uk you will find all the answers there..as it's a website for seasonaires - workers or bums..

most people on snowheads are committed enthusiasts and thus likely to be your clients.

do it - I did my first season at 30 something and loved it.

ps turn off the caps lock please
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Bertie and apologies for the caps lock - which is now rectified!

I have signed up to natives.co.uk but have also applied to the couple of TO's I mentioned above. I have interviews with them so was wondering if anyone had heard of them as I hadn't before this week.

It's great to hear from someone who did a season and loved it - I am very much looking forward to it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Event_Kat, I worked for Silver Ski as a single and so did lots of others - I would give them a call and bung a CV over anyway
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Event_Kat wrote:
Thanks Bertie and apologies for the caps lock - which is now rectified!

I have signed up to natives.co.uk but have also applied to the couple of TO's I mentioned above. I have interviews with them so was wondering if anyone had heard of them as I hadn't before this week.

It's great to hear from someone who did a season and loved it - I am very much looking forward to it!

Nope hadn't heard of it but...based on my season experience (I was a bum but hung out with the workers a lot)

the bigger TO's e.g. crystal, ski esprit etc seemed to be a bit more 'formulaic' than the smaller operators - i.e rule boooks, standard menus etc. The smaller / independent operators with say 4 or 5 chalets seemed to offer more flexibility to their staff in terms of menu plans and opportunities to make some money on the side if it benefits the guest (e.g. packed lunches etc) OTOH the bigger operators give you more 'instant friends' than a to with perhaps 6 or 8 people in resort...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I did my only ski season at the age of 22. I was a Resort Manager in Méribel for a now defunct UK chalet TO. I absolutely loved it (even the grumbling customers and endless paperwork) and would gladly have done it again were it not for having to start paying off my enormous student debt and therefore having to get a 'real' job. I tended to try and ski every afternoon (except changeover day) but it did mean I had to work most evenings. Definitely an experience I'd recommend to any snow enthusiast though and better done whilst you are young and not saddled with mortgage.

Not sure how Silver Ski can justify discriminating against single people to work in their chalets TBH.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are a lot of job websites - Natives (only IMO!!) is not the best. Try www.seasonworkers.com www.bestskijobs.co.uk www.jobswithoutdesks.com I could go on - there are loads!

If you have particular companies in mind it is worth sending them a CV as without sending a CV they'll just write back saying "send your CV". Write a letter with it that makes you STAND OUT! telling them what you have to offer them inparticular! If you want to be a chalet host and run your own chalet give details of your cooking and organisational experience. Focus your CV on most relevent experience you have, and TALK ABOUT your passion for the mountains and skiing/snowboarding (it's surprising how many applications we get where they don't even once mention so much as a snowdrop!). I'm sure other companies are the same as us in that passion, interest and enthusiasm for what it's all about is hugely important.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Joanne Mountainsun wrote:
There are a lot of job websites - Natives (only IMO!!) is not the best. Try www.seasonworkers.com www.bestskijobs.co.uk www.jobswithoutdesks.com I could go on - there are loads!

but natives is really the only one with a 1/2 decent forum and judging by the way the question was phrased it was one where Event_Kat was looking for direct feedback.

Good to see your input from the 'snow face!' so to speak
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I hate to say it, but Natives is the best site for seasonnaires & potential seasonnaires. Just finished my LAST season in Tignes, aged 42 (anyone who has problems about someones age - their own or someone elses - shouldn't be doing a season!).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Giving up the seasonnaire-ing (if there is such a word) or moving on to a different venue next time Kenzie?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I know people twice your age when they have done their first season.

If you fancy Verbier try www.peakski.co.uk
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
FenlandSkier wrote:
Giving up the seasonnaire-ing (if there is such a word) or moving on to a different venue next time Kenzie?

Giving up seasonnairing (OH MY GOD - I'M A PUNTER!) before my knees give up (seriously, 150+ days a season on the mountain start to tell after a few seasons!).
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for your great comments!

Not too worry I don't think I'm old - just some of my friends were suprised that I wanted to leave my job to do a ski season. However, I have decided that life is too short to not do what you want to do! A friend of mine died at 25 yrs old and the thing which gave his friends and family a small comfort was that he really lived his life to the full and did what he wanted to do every day of his life. Sorry to get a bit maudling...but I think that it's really important to have as many experiences as possible.

Anyway, back to the task in hand! I have registered on all the sites you have mentioned and now I will just have to wait...fingers crossed!

Thanks again and maybe I'll see some of you on the slopes!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Event_Kat, don't work. Work like f**k now and be a ski bum, means you can ride when the snow's good and drink when it's not. Some season workers won't like the fact you're a ski bum but they'll be tw@s and you can laugh at them when they're doing a 14hr shift on a powder day.

Enjoy it, best thing I've ever done.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Event_Kat, Swirly is right - it's great fun...

Have a look at this thread for some practical top tips - I did a season last year - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46330&start=253
snow conditions
Kenz

Giving up seasonnairing (OH MY GOD - I'M A PUNTER!) before my knees give up (seriously, 150+ days a season on the mountain start to tell after a few seasons!).[/quote]

OMG? SO YOU ARE? YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS§§
ski holidays
Hi Kat,

I can give you a bit of an insight to both those companies:

I am friends with Jason who owns Ski Basics and had 2 friends working for Meriski last season.
Both are very different companies which I am sure you are aware.
Ski Basics has a very close team of staff and Jason ensures they get as much possible time on the slopes.I used to go exploring others resorts with the guys from Ski Basics which Jason actively encourages.
The staff accomodation is around Meribel village which is pretty beautifull and not like Meribel centre in the slightest + the pub in the Village is a welcome sanctuary for a quite beer after a long shift.
As the name suggest they offer relatively basic chalet accommodation ,by Meribel standards which is still pretty plush, compared with Meriski who pitch themselves a little higher in the market place or certainly price higher inthe market place!

For a good spirit, good boss, and lots of ski time ...go with Ski Basics.....Just tell Jason Ross sent you!!

All the best
ski holidays
Quote:

Just finished my LAST season in Tignes, aged 42

Quote:

I know people twice your age when they have done their first season.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Toofy Grin Good on them!!!
snow conditions
Alpaka Lodge wrote:
Kenz

Giving up seasonnairing (OH MY GOD - I'M A PUNTER!) before my knees give up (seriously, 150+ days a season on the mountain start to tell after a few seasons!).

OMG? SO YOU ARE? YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS§§
[/quote]

Punter prices? Sad
snow report
Id love to do a season one day.

Preferrably without having to work

Ah at least I can dream
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy