Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Summer Storage with Vist Binding

Poster: A snowHead
I have a pair of Hart Beat's with Vist Speedlock bindings.
I wish I could say that the last ski day of my season was in deep powder at Bridger Bowl, but I scarred my last ski day memory by going to a local hill where I skied marginal slush mixed with grit. ARGH!

I took the toe and heel piece off the plate and rinsed the entire set up to get rid of the grit.(skis, plates, toe/heel pieces)
Sadly, I'm not sure how much water pressure I should use on these, therefore I think there is a tiny bit of grit left.

This is a two(or three or four) part question:
How much water pressure should/could be used to assure that all the grit is out of the pieces?
Is there anything special I should know about summer storage of the Vist Speedlock set up?(lubrication?)
Is it best to leave the toe/heel pieces off the plate or will it make no difference?
I'm inclined to think that it will make no difference.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'm inclined to think that it will make no difference.

SnowHot, from my limited knowledge of bindings, I think you are probably correct. When others have asked questions about bindings, the consensus of the experts is that now days they are pretty much bulletproof and require very little maintenance

The resident Oracle, Spyderjon will be along soon and no doubt answer your questions, especially as he is a supplier of VIST bindings
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would be quite interested if there is any essential maintenance for the speed lock system too.

Sleipnir, speedlock is a very different system to the normal bindings (assuming you didn't already know that).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, I was under the impression that speedlock is a way of mounting bindings onto a plate?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, yup. There are some moving parts (to secure each toe and heel in to the plate) which I would imagine have some sort of requirement for lubrication or cleaning if you had grit in them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Sleipnir, speedlock is a very different system to the normal bindings (assuming you didn't already know that).

arv, I didn't know that. But by the looks of it, Spyderjon knows about the speedlock setup; here's an extract from his website:-

"The VIST 'Speedlock' system is unique in the marketplace as it allows the user to quickly alter the position of the toe & heel pieces to alter the fore/aft balance point, thus enabling the user to set-up their personalised & ideal balance point for their intended use. This feature also allows for use by different people/boot sole lengths etc.

Furthermore, with additional Speedlock plates mounted on other skis just one pair of toe & heel pieces can be quickly swapped between different pairs of skis which not only reduces cost but also reduces luggage weight for airline travel etc."

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.browse/category_id,29/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=29&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sleipnir, I've got Speedlock plates on a couple of pairs of skis. Seems to work well, although not used them for more than a few weeks yet. Will be interested to see if there's anything special to be done to them for storage - my guess would be no.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I figured Spyderjon would be along as soon as I posted. Evidently he's avoiding me Wink
Perhaps he thought Snow+Hot=water, and went boating. Smile

I wouldn't have thought anything of the binding and storage except for the fact that I had to thoroughly clean them after my last ski day.

Grit=unhappy SnowHot

Will try to post some pics of the bindings later today.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowHot, shopped fleabay for WaterPiks yet?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
No special maintaniance required. Bindings can be stored on or of the skis but beware if the pins twist which can happen if they are taken on/off often slider won't close.
Don't lubricate pins.
No lubrication is required on the bindings although I put a drop of oil (and I mean just a drop) on the locking leaver and safety button.
Wash in warm soapy water with a soft bush or cloth to remove grip and rinse with fresh water.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, No, but I was eyeing the pressure washer in my husbands toy garage

kiwi1, your advice sounds similar to what I was thinking. I did wash the bindings and plates thoroughly, or so I thought, but when I was going to put one of the heel pieces back on, I heard a gritty sound, which leads me to believe that I have more work to do on them.

For Oil, what do you suggest? Mineral oil? 3in1? anything special...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I use 3in1 and I have spoken to Italy about it and they have said that is fine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kiwi1, FWIW, the area where I seem to still have grit is near the switch for the binding plate, which is where you suggest a 'drop, only a drop' of oil.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SnowHot, ay up pettle, how ya doin'? Wasn't ignoring you, just scived off for the afternoon to the cinema.

Above advice from kiwi1 is of course spot on however if you've got grit in the Speedlock mechanism you should clean it out first otherwise it will cause wear or even possibly lock-up the mechanism.

With the ski flat in the vice undo & remove the top plate screws, the allen key screws not the plate mounting screws. Cover the plate with a thin clear plastic bag & then gently lift off the top plate keeping it level in both planes. There is a spring that tensions the release lever & I've never had one go twang when doing this but there's always a first time, hence the bag. The internal mechanism is dead simple to suss & the internal sliding locking plate can be lifted off & the whole area cleaned etc. Prior to cleaning note were the existing lube/grease has been applied & re-apply some binding grease in the same place.

Reassemble in reverse order tightening the allen screws to normal binding screw tension (4.5Nm).

Sorted Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, Gotcha!
I'll get my Terminator stand out and do that. Probably not tonight as I just got an offer to golf with my nephew. I have to take him up on that while he still thinks is okay to golf with his aunt. Wink
latest report
spyderjon, before taking the plate apart as you suggested, I decided to use the air compressor to see if I could blow the "grit" out. It seemed to work quite well, and eliminated the gritty sound that I heard prior to this cleaning.

For those who are interested in the mechanics of this binding/plate system........(notice that one plate is open while the other is closed)

Heel end plate

Toe end plate

Heel piece

Toe Piece

ski holidays
ski holidays
comprex, I use that for my bike chain('n-such) but I'm not sure its a good idea on these plates...per kiwi1
I may be wrong. I was wrong one other time, but only once. Smile
snow report
Thanks for the pics SnowHot. Your comments and those of other snowHead now make a lot more sense to me. Will log that info in the ole memory bank......VIST Speedlock bindings => different to other bindings. They look to be a neat set up

A question, so what do people see as being the major pluses and minuses of this Speedlock type set up. I can see that it gives you a lot more options in terms of set up than say Railflex and the ease of use in changing settings. Anything else? Why would someone consider this type of binding over the more 'traditional' style?

Just asking for my own knowledge really, nothing important...
snow report
Sleipnir, benefits of the Speedlock system:
- choice of plate heights
- choice of plate flexes
- fore/aft adjustment in 10mm increments
- multiple skis can share one pair of bindings (big cost & weight savings)
- the Vist bindings are all the same superb all metal chassis designs irrespective of whether they're 4-12, 8-16 or 10-18 din & can be converted back to conventional flat mounting in a few minutes
- you get to deal with me wink

It's racers that will get the most benefit from the above - I've a number of customers that have 6 pairs of skis (2xSL, 2xGS, 1xSG & 1xDH) that each have different plates but share the same toe & heel pieces. Each summer I just switch the plates to their new skis.

The downsides are only related to fat skis in that they add unwanted weight & height but that is not really their intended market.
ski holidays
spyderjon, I'll just jump on here, what are the differences between the 816s and the 614s (assuming the 412s are just the 614s with different springs... )? Have you got weights handy? My knees have no interest in the 10-18 din NehNeh

Just trying to work out what I am going to put on what for the quiver-shuffle and was thinking about going with the PX15s on the Redeemers.
snow report
arv, exact same bindings just different springs. The 816 does have an additional 5th mounting screw centrally located in the base plate (not used with the Speedlock plate) but a skinny lad like you wouldn't need that wink . Both weigh in at 2550g per pair flat mounted with Redeemer width brakes & teflon race AFD's.

Even though they're the same binding, marketing being as it is means that the 816's are dearer.
snow conditions
spyderjon, thanks for that. Can't see myself breaking stuff any time soon. Decisions, decisions Laughing

Apparently a pair of PX15s are about 2900 grams if anyone is searching.
ski holidays
Thanks for the info spyderjon. Interesting stuff. Probably a bit of overkill for my recreational skiing, but if I ever feel the need to throw myself down blacks at break-neck speed, I'll give the VIST setup a look.

Have you changed your mind about Hemel on the 6th? There are many Snowheads, myself included, who must owe you several sherberts for all of the advice you have provided, so this would be an opportunity for us to start paying you back. And obviously, it would be criminal to let you drink alone wink rolling eyes
latest report
Sleipnir, I've just got a new job so yep, I'll be at Hemel Mr. Green Hopefully they serve a decent bitter & none of that usual southern shandy boy shoite wink
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Sleipnir, benefits of the Speedlock system:
- choice of plate heights
- choice of plate flexes
- fore/aft adjustment in 10mm increments
- multiple skis can share one pair of bindings (big cost & weight savings)
- the Vist bindings are all the same superb all metal chassis designs irrespective of whether they're 4-12, 8-16 or 10-18 din & can be converted back to conventional flat mounting in a few minutes
- you get to deal with me wink

It's racers that will get the most benefit from the above - I've a number of customers that have 6 pairs of skis (2xSL, 2xGS, 1xSG & 1xDH) that each have different plates but share the same toe & heel pieces. Each summer I just switch the plates to their new skis.

The downsides are only related to fat skis in that they add unwanted weight & height but that is not really their intended market.

The primary reason I wanted the Vist set up on my skis is due to travel. It is much easier to pack two pair of skis and one pair of bindings.

I, admittedly, did not get the opportunity to deal with Spyderjon due to location, but I am confident that THAT alone is a good reason to buy Vist!

I would like to add this bit of info.....There is absolutely no wiggle in the binding when its set in the plate, as you may have experienced with other system bindings.
ski holidays
SnowHot wrote:

I, admittedly, did not get the opportunity to deal with Spyderjon due to location, but I am confident that THAT alone is a good reason to buy Vist!

Laughing there are a few ways one could read that

Quote:

I would like to add this bit of info.....There is absolutely no wiggle in the binding when its set in the plate, as you may have experienced with other system bindings.
that too. Laughing
snow conditions
spyderjon, a new job.....excellent news! Can't vouch for the ale, but I am sure there are others who have already sampled several pints at Hemel to ensure that the quality is up to the required standard for the 6th
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
comprex, you know me well. Wink
Interpretation is everything, eh?

spyderjon, enjoy the new adventure!
ski holidays
spyderjon, do you find the fact that most race skis now come with integrated or pre-mounted plates invariably drilled only for the same manufacturer's bindings has impacted on sales of the Vist system? The bindings and speedlock plates look fantastic and I'd love to be able to swap out one pair of bindings across the three or four pairs of skis that I have.
snow report
spyderjon wrote:
Hopefully they serve a decent bitter & none of that usual southern shandy boy shoite wink

According to Spyderman and my OH they still need to add a decent bitter to their stocks, but Spyderman reckons the Guinness is really good Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
spyderjon, do you find the fact that most race skis now come with integrated or pre-mounted plates invariably drilled only for the same manufacturer's bindings has impacted on sales of the Vist system? The bindings and speedlock plates look fantastic and I'd love to be able to swap out one pair of bindings across the three or four pairs of skis that I have.

Sideshow_Bob, not really in that Vist only started being available in the UK a couple of years ago so sales have been steadily rising as the word has spread. The majority of my Speedock & race plate sales are installed on Stockli skis which are sold in the flat however I have a growing list of clients that are now ordering their usual brand race skis in the flat so they can mount Vists. So long as the ski has a flat top sheet they'll fit. When installed on Stockli's they make an extremely competitively priced package as registered SSE & SSS race club members can get a fantastic deal on the skis from Incline Sports the Stockli distributors.

The other reason for the growth of sales of Vist has been the recent recognition by coaches, instructors & keen recreational skiers of the benefits of 'boot balancing' (see CEM's recent thread) as it's very difficult to alter the delta angles on the usual rail mounted bindings supplied by the ski manufacturers whereas Vist make various heights of stepped plates for racers (& are planning on increasing the range) & have a range of different thickness shims & longer length screws for use with any other brand of flat mounted bindings as well as their own.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
longer length screws for use with any other brand of flat mounted bindings as well as their own.

Any chance you can bring a few longer length Vist screws to the Hemel event for me? CEM added a 3mm (maybe 4mm?) shim under the toe binding but didn't have suitable screws so we re-used the original ones which are holding OK now, but I'd like to make sure we've got a good grip into the ski with something a bit longer than what I'm using now.
snow report
rob@rar, will do.
ski holidays
spyderjon, rob@rar, Do I get a commission for facilitating this transaction?

Okay, I'll forego the commission, just think fondly of me and make a toast to good times with good friends!
latest report
SnowHot wrote:

Okay, I'll forego the commission, just think fondly of me and make a toast to good times with good friends!

PM me your Paypal password & you can buy a round wink
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
rob@rar, will do.

Ta very much. Still deciding what skis to get to mount the other Vist plates on. With the latest tweaks done by Colin I'm definitely a fan of the system.
latest report
spyderjon wrote:
SnowHot wrote:

PM me your Paypal password & you can buy a round wink

I'll put my personal assistant on that!

[snowhot thinking]I was smart enough to invest in Vist bindings and he thinks I'm going to give him my paypal password[/snowhot thinking]
ski holidays
rob@rar, just a quick question re the longer screws you want. They're for Vist's flat mounted bindings, ie longer versions of the normal toe & heelpiece mounting screws. Unfortunately Vist don't do longer versions of Speedlock plate mounting screws so it's not possible to put a shim between the Speedlock plate & the ski - they do 'stepped' plates to give that feature.
ski holidays
spyderjon, oh it is perfectly possible Toofy Grin , but he probably should have a stepped plate top do the job properly..... we were only experimenting
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy