Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hotel in Zermatt: Recommendation needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm eager to convince my husband to ski in Zermatt. He is in love with the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen and the little trains there. But we've been 4 or 5 times and I would like to try a bigger resort with a higher elevation. Zermatt does seem pricey. Can anyone recommend a nice hotel with a good food? We don't need a spa or anything too uppity. But something with charm, comfort, and relatively convenient to the slopes. Hopefully a family-run hotel with a lot of loyal returning guests.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
When we go up to Zermatt for weekends we stay at the Walliserhof. The staff are very friendly, the food is good and the prices are very reasonable for a 4 star. Nowhere in Zermatt is very convenient for the slopes - you either have to get the bus or one of the electric taxis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I found no issue walking from the centre towards the Klein Matterhorn lifts, just leave your skis up there in a locker, carry (or walk in) your boots and all is good. Taxi is not essential.

Can't really help with your hotel request, sorry. A friend did recommend the Mont Chavin Palace* but I believe it has a spa.

*I check it out for my dates and it was obscenely expensive.

Check out the little bar and just up the road the singing midget.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kathyborn, we stayed in the Hotel Bijou this year, and, while we'd definitely be happy to return, it isn't for everyone. As the name implies, the Bijou is pretty small with just 17 rooms. It's family owned and run and the owners are great. However, it does have the obvious drawbacks associated with a small hotel: limited facilities; a tiny bar; no lounge; no hot breakfasts; and a fixed, no-choice dinner menu. The food was plentiful and the quality was pretty good, but if you're a fussy eater you might not be happy.

The location is pretty good for skiing. It's less than 5 minutes walk to the Kein Matterhorn lift, but you have to navigate a very steep hill that children might find difficult. The hill's not great, but it's a much better proposition than a taxi (about £15 each way depending on location) or a massive queue for a bus that's completely rammed full. However, like all accommodation at that end of the town, it's a 15 minute walk to visit the town centre in the evening. It's also not very convenient for the cute little trains that your husband loves.

That's the dilemma with Zermatt. From a skiing perspective, you want to be close to the Klein Matterhorn gondola take-off point as that dumps you right in the centre of the ski area. Unfortunately, from every other persepctive you want to be in the town centre. I put skiing first, so, for me, it's a no brainer.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
This one is rated best by tripadvisor and not too pricey (for Zermatt) http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g188098-d266043-Reviews-Coeur_des_Alpes-Zermatt_Valais_Swiss_Alps.html It looks a bit closer to the main gondola (heading to Klein Matterhorn)

Walliserhof is rated 12 out of 120 odd on tripadvisor and is good if your budget is tighter. I wouldn't count on walking from the Walliserhof (centre of town). It's at least a 15 minute walk and no fun at the end of the day coming back uphill when you are tired and full of a skinful of beers from the Hennu Stall.

You can go from Gornegrat which is much closer to the centre but the trains aren't that frequent and take ages to go up.

I understand why you want to take your husband to Zermatt. It's my fave resort in the Alps for the combination of scenery, skiing, food and ambiance. Make sure to get to the mountain restaurants like Zum See and Chez Vrony and Chalet Etoile over in Cervinia. They are some of the best in the Alps. The big comfy cowhide sofas at Hotel Alex are also nice for some upmarket apres ski.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Coeur des Alpes was directly across the road from the apartment I stayed in at half term. 5 minutes walk to Kleine Matterhorn in ski boots (or nearer 10 if the roads were really icy). I would much rather stay at that end and walk into town in the evening. Access is easy for Kleine Matterhorn and Gornegrat areas, trains can easily be caught from further up the mountain too. Link across to Sunnega isn't too bad either.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kathyborn, we stayed in the Hotel Tschugge, it looks similar to the Alpenrose. It was very friendly, great food, lots of character, the restaurant is carved into the rock very interesting, and not a spa but a very nice 'wellness' area. Again like most other places not really convenient but they have their own electric taxi and they will drive you to and from the lifts. Very nice place.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi

I have stayed in the Hotel Antares many, many times. It is the nearest hotel to the main cable car (about 50m). The food is "really" nice, the rooms are bigger than you would expect and there is a really nice wellness section.
Oh yeah and you can call and haggle; make sure you speak to the owner Moniker NOT the receptionist as they forget what ever they have agreed

http://www.hotel-antares.ch/gesamt_e.htm

Unlike many hotels it really does look like all the photos on the website

I would recommend it to anyone
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kathyborn, I like the Hotel Alpenrose in Wengen too. Toofy Grin

However, as regards Zermatt I can recommend the Hotel Europe which is fairly central and has good food.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
arv, Is Marco still there?

To get your fix go onto youtube and key in Marco in Zermatt.

A brutal singer and musician but great entertainment. Unfortunately when we were there it was dissapointing to see mainly brits laughing at him rathe than with him. Great entertainment though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yeh he is still there!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for all these recommendations. These are just the sort of hotels I was looking for.

Coeur des Alpes comes up on many reviews...looks fabulous, but its a bit expensive and doesn't offer an evening meal. (My husband has a vacation thing about not having to put on his boots to go out to eat at night).

I have checked out Walliserhof, Tshugge, Antares, Bijou and Hotel Europe...those recommended in earlier posts. Each looks like it has some appeal. Any further input on these or others would be greatly appreciated. The Boston-Zurich airfare for Jan-Feb is very low right now, so I need to get planning. Last winter we did a big family trip with our children and grandchildren to Whistler, so this will be a deux and hopefully more relaxing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Try the Admiral, 50 yards fron Sunnegga, bus stop outside for K. Matterhorn. 5 mins walk to Gornergrat and the railway station.
Nice and friendly and a good atmosphere in the bar too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy