Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Parents of snowboarder lost in Austrian crevasse in 1989 pursue 20-year quest for facts

Poster: A snowHead
On 9 August 1989 a Canadian ice hockey player called Duncan MacPherson went up to the Stubai glacier in Austria for a snowboarding lesson. He was later seen practising on the glacier. He was never seen alive again.

On 18 July 2003 - 14 years after his disappearance - a body was found on the same glacier, apparently preserved in a crevasse. It was identified as Duncan's. [2003 was an exceptionally hot summer in Europe.]

Initially, Duncan's friends and family had no idea where he was. A car parked at the base area of the glacier was eventually traced to a friend who had lent it to him in Nuremberg, but this was six weeks after he had vanished. The snowboard instructor then recognised a photo of Duncan and this seemed to confirm that he disappeared on the mountain. That identification took place on 22 September 1989.

His parents are reportedly bitter at the response of the Austrian authorities to their son's demise, and assert that no proper post-mortem was carried out in 2003. They have reportedly spent their life savings on nine investigatory trips to Austria and other work. They discovered that a student from Hong Kong had fallen into a nearby crevasse one year earlier (i.e. 1988). They have spent 20 years trying to piece together the facts and prevent another disaster. According to Planetski.eu they recently took their grievances to the European Court of Human Rights.

This report from Planetski.eu:
http://www.planetski.eu/news/401

Timeline of Duncan MacPherson (CBC News):
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/iceman/timeline.html

Timeline of Duncan MacPherson (Planetski.eu):
http://www.planetski.eu/news/402

On the surface it seems fairly straightforward. The Austrian authorities could have been more proactive. Duncan's family were unlucky that he hadn't left a clear trace of his movements.

Is there more to it? Should a full post-mortem/inquest have taken place?

Have you noticed deficiencies in piste boundary markings on the Stubai glacier? [I was up there about three times in the 1980s and don't recall any safety issues, but admittedly it was a long long time ago].

[Please be sensitive in posting comment on this case. Duncan's family might read this thread]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith, I think they should let the thing go. 20 years? The true facts will never be determined after such a time lapse. Looks like this unfortunate accident is consuming their lives. All the effort in the world won't bring their son back. As for posting sensitivity - the thread title makes it pretty clear what the discussion is likely to be about. They don't have to open it to see the content. If you really were worried, you should not have opened this thread.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Goldsmith, It is clearly stated in multiple languages at the bottom lifts up on to the glaciers that it is not safe to leave the prepared pistes when skiing on glaciers unless accompanied by a qualified guide. They cannot set boundaries as they will move with the glacier. I've skied on glaciers for ages (Ötzi was an early ski buddy it's been so long), and the first thing I was taught was never to leave the prepared pistes unless I was following a qualified guide instructor with all the gubbings!

I agree with achilles, they should move on, mourn their loss and let it go. I also agree with Achilles on your request for sensitivity. Why post this if you were not looking to stir up a discussion? The nature of these things is that they become controversial.

He made a mistake and a cascade of events led to no-one knowing he was missing until it was too late to find him. At least with a body they have some closure. Sad but probably unavoidable. It was summer and glaciers have a dreadful habit of melting and moving in summer. The Austrian authorities had no chance of finding his body after 6 weeks - where on earth would they start to look?

I think this is a sad example of where people hope to apportion blame where none can be, except maybe on the dead man. I hope the parents are able to come to terms with their loss. But going down the litigation path, I suspect will not help them, financially or emotionally.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I agree with the previous 2 posters, closure is what they had been subliminally searching for and when a body was found in 2003 that should have been the end of it for them. Campaigning for greater safety on the slopes is a lost cause. Ultimately, skiing and snowboarding are dangerous activities and those taking part should know the risks involved.
A post mortem on a body that has fallen down a crevasse is only going to uncover whether he died from a broken neck or severe head trauma, when it comes down to it, he fell down a hole and died. A post mortem wont change that, it'll only uncover the brutal truths which only those with morbid obsession or those clutching at straws will want to know.
Put it to bed and let it lie...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That is a horrible story. Puts me off skiing Glaciers thinkig that you could fall down a big hole and die.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skolaYou shouldn't be skiing proper crevasse type glacial areas without ropes, harnesses, trancievers and a guide who knows EXACTLY what they are doing. These areas are all off piste, don't let glacial skiing on piste worry you, it's only straying off the beaten path that will put you in danger of crevasses.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Puts me off skiing Glaciers thinkig that you could fall down a big hole and die.

Would put me off skiing off prepared pistes on glaciers, if I had ever dreamt of doing so, but that's the point, isn't it? He took a huge risk and sadly paid very heavily.

I agree that there is nothing to be gained by the parents from their obsessive search for someone to blame. However, I don't agree with the criticism of David Goldsmith for having opened the thread. It is painfully obvious that the parents are actively seeking a continued discussion about the death of their son. If they wanted to let the whole awful history "rest in peace" they could have chosen to do so.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bigpantsjayke wrote:
it's only straying off the beaten path that will put you in danger.

Isnt that where all the fun is? Toofy Grin

In all seriousness, it seems that staying on the piste is fairly safe.

Whats really putting me off Glacier skiing is my budget and the OH wanting a (sunny) summer holiday!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Whats really putting me off Glacier skiing is my budget and the OH wanting a (sunny) summer holiday!

Then get yourself to a summer ski glacier!! Very Happy Best of both worlds!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w,
Quote:

However, I don't agree with the criticism of David Goldsmith for having opened the thread. It is painfully obvious that the parents are actively seeking a continued discussion about the death of their son. If they wanted to let the whole awful history "rest in peace" they could have chosen to do so.

What I and the other poster (I believe Achilles was also) were objecting to was the following:

Quote:

[Please be sensitive in posting comment on this case. Duncan's family might read this thread]

I think Achilles put is best:

Quote:
As for posting sensitivity - the thread title makes it pretty clear what the discussion is likely to be about. They don't have to open it to see the content. If you really were worried, you should not have opened this thread.

Posting such a report is likely to result in comment, as are any newspaper reports. To me it sounded false a wee bit patronising and somewhat unnecessary.

Sue wink
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi everyone.

I'm a little shocked at peoples lack of knowledge on this subject. Perhaps one should do some more reading about the case before making statements. Perhaps watch the documentary and read the info here: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/iceman - it's highly accurate except for one very glaring misrepresentation which I'll address later.

Anyways, just to address all posted here without me quoting and referring directly to you - Duncan was on a controlled surface, that was licensed for recreational use in the summer. It's a small glacier, it's groomed daily and has been open for summer skiing for many years. Much like Whistler's much larger glacier. The quest is not so much about facts, it's much more about exposing the cover up of his death. From very early on there has been a seemingly systematic cover up at every turn. TRUE outdoor people, would understand that it's FAR more important to ACCEPT there was a mistake, and have an open investigation so that it will NEVER happen again. To think that his car sat in the parking lot for 6 weeks. That his snowboard was returned according to the rental shop, who destroyed their log book 3 weeks after he went missing, which coincides with the first missing person reports, and when he was found the board was with him. How would you feel if that was you in that situation, and that perhaps you were out with rental gear that wasn't returned, wouldn't you want someone to look for you? My girlfriend worked for a few years here in Vancouver at a local hill, and it was a very serious matter if a board wasn't returned at the end of the day, they would send people to check the bar/caferteria and look for the person because if they didn't find them soon a search team was sent out. This has saved lives.

Duncan was killed not by falling into a deep crevice, as the documentary seems to imply, he probably fell into a shallow crevice, and was mostly below the surface, when the grooming machine came along, ran him over, injured him severely, and buried him. The pictures and xrays of the body show this evidence. The mountain has a license to operate based on certain things - one of those is that if an open crevice is found, it is to be visually inspected then filled in. This is not what is done. They fill them in immediately, or they groom the glacier at the end of the day without a close inspection. When his body was found, the police report that went out reported him as 120 meters East of the chair, which is well out of bounds, but in reality he was found right in the middle of the run, 35 meters from the chair - see the map at http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/iceman/map.html

How do I know all this? Duncan is my brother. We've very much dealt with his death, acceptance is the last stage of grief. Now what we would like is that these circumstances will never happen again. I spend a lot of time snowboarding and would want this done for me as I'm sure you would of yourself or family and friends. Any questions about any facts please feel free to ask.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gribbler,

Hi, 1st can I say that I am really sorry for your loss, that is not just a glib statement and I am, as I think everyone on this forum is, sorry that you have suffered that loss of your brother.

I just want to add 3 points.

gribbler wrote:
if a board wasn't returned at the end of the day, they would send people to check the bar/caferteria and look for the person because if they didn't find them soon a search team was sent out. This has saved lives.

My mate runs a large hire shop and has gear stolen on a regular basis. It is simply not possible to send out a rescue team each team someone does not return a set of skis or a board.

gribbler wrote:
TRUE outdoor people, would understand that it's FAR more important to ACCEPT there was a mistake, and have an open investigation so that it will NEVER happen again.

I don't know what the feelings are outside Europe but most people (whether TRUE outdoor people or not) in the Alps don't really feel a need for people to ACCEPT that a mistake has happened. They just want to know what happened in a given situation. The reason for this is very simple, as I think you may have found. If you look for the wrongdoer in a situation they will, obviously, seek to hide the truth if the truth shows they have not performed their job correctly. If it is implied the wrongdoer was a corporate body then you are just making it almost imposable at the outset to get the full truth. It "may" be (don't know in this case) that if the acceptance of mistaken performance was not central to your family's campaign that you may have had a different result.

gribbler wrote:

Duncan was killed not by falling into a deep crevice, as the documentary seems to imply, he probably fell into a shallow crevice, and was mostly below the surface, when the grooming machine came along, ran him over, injured him severely, and buried him. The pictures and xrays of the body show this evidence.

OK, just to say here that I know nothing of this event but it "seems" to me from what you are saying, that your bother somehow ended up just under the surface and that a piste basher ran over him. If this is, as you say, what happened then he could not have been in a crevice but rather a shallow depression in the snow - or the piste basher would not have touched him. I have seen many piste bashers at work and the fins on the tracks never go more than 6 or 7 inches bellow the surface. So if you brother was hurt by a basher's tracks then he couldn't have been in a glacial crevice/crevace. If he was, again as you say, just under the surface, how would the basher driver have know this. Ski slopes are full of undulations and the basher driver would not have even know your brother was there.

Could this situation not just have been a terrible mistake, no one's fault, just a mistake. No form of seeking that anyone "accepts" their mistake will bring back your brother, it will just make it harder, if not impossible to get to the truth. The reason for this is that in seeking to get either a person or corporate body to "accept" their responsibility for the death of another will, inevitably, lead to a prosecution for their death. After this length of time, to be realistic, you simply are not going to get the result you are looking for, maybe it's now time (after 20 years) to move on with your life.

This was a terrible mistake that hurt your family deeply, everyone on this forum understands that, but by continuing to drag this case along are you not just accentuating the hurt for the whole famiy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wayne,
Quote:
Could this situation not just have been a terrible mistake, no one's fault,

Agreed.

From the Planetski article:

Quote:
The parents have taken the case to the European Court of Human Rights alleging his rights and freedoms had been violated. The Court found there was no case to answer.

A very sad accident and nothing more than that in my opinion.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gribbler, my condolences for your loss. Losing a brother like that must be grim.

For the rest, I'd pretty much go along with what Wayne and PJSki have already said. I'm not sure what you mean by TRUE mountain people - a lot of folk here have been in the mountains a lot - and not just skiing - some of them disagreeing with you does not change that. It's not occurred to me that if I was on rental skis and they were not returned at the end of a rental period, that a search party would be organized for me. And I have discovered in life that it is almost impossible for accidents to NEVER happen again. They do - though the risk of them recurring can sometimes be reduced.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The timeline story posted by OP shows a catalogue of indifference to the search of missing person. Much of the discoveries were reported as the results of the victim's parrent effort.

Here is one point I am sure every snowhead would like to get clarified.

There seems to be two reports of location the body of the victim discovered.

Quote:
A Request for Notification of Next of Kin is sent to Ottawa. It states that the body was found 120m east of the Eisjoch ski lift. However, a police report made by the officer who photographed the scene states the body was found 35 m east of the lift.

I therefore ask everyone of you who ski or board that should it be something concerning your own safety when you walk away 35m or 120m from a chairlift? This is a distance of either 115 to 400 ft.

Is it reasonable for a skier or snowboarder in a deserted glacier in summer to walk away 58 paces (an adult walk at 2ft approximately per pace) from a chairlift and disappear from the face of the earth? and then there is nothing a resort can do to stop it from happening again? It was already known another victim fell to his death at the about the same position one year 5 days earlier.

I personally find it upsetting that the rental shop denying no rented equipement missing, and so caused the police to stop searching, when the snowboard instruction sworn it his affidavit statements that he went to the rental shop to clarify the equipment hire. He charged the victim 500 schillings instead of the normal 550 schillings because the latter was inclusive of the provision of equipment. The skiing instructor did not clarify if the equipment was from the hired shop but the fact both him and the victim went there together tell me the equipment wasn't victim's acquisition from elsewhere.

If there was only one place for the equipment hire in the resort what the shop people had done is criminal to me because the record was also dstroyed.
snow conditions
Don't forget glaciers are moving things, whether the body was found 120m or 35m east of a lift that wouldn't have been where it started from 4 years earlier.
ski holidays
The hurt felt by a family when a member dies in anything other than "standard" circumstances (old age, illness, etc) is often exacerbated by questions such as "what happened", "how did this happen", "who is responsible", etc. In some cases that natural inclination to find out the facts can be caught up with the thought that someone must pay for our loss. I'm not talking about money here, although this is becoming more prevalent. I'm speaking of the need to have retribution. The desire to see someone suffer for your loss is not cathartic it is destructive and every case.

Of course this is often bundled with phrase such as "to make sure it doesn't happen to other people", to I'm doing this for the greater good", "I don't want others to suffer the same loss as I have".

In modern times the biblical retribution of and eye for eye is not condoned, so a legal avenue is the only real possibility. But it is still retribution even if by another name. History is full of cases of people who have spent the lives seeking out those responsible for the death of a loved one. This is well known.

In this case there is really no possibility of getting the exact details of what happened. It’s just not going to happen after 20 years. This poor family have been left without a son and brother in what they assume were suspicious circumstances. Whilst they may have initially just assumed that that there was a mix-up in the paperwork this may have become corrupted into a sense that someone is covering up the details. I honestly don’t know if this is true. But after 20 years I think it may be time to move on. This type of thing can be generational and it has to stop sooner or later. For the sake of the family it may be an idea now just to let it lay. But, this said, the loss of a loved family member can sometime just be simply too much to get over but the only one’s really to suffer in the long term are themselves.

Sometimes they may see the “moving on” as some how detracting from the memory of the lost relative and this is why these things simply keep on going.
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
The timeline story posted by OP shows a catalogue of indifference to the search of missing person. Much of the discoveries were reported as the results of the victim's parrent effort.

Here is one point I am sure every snowhead would like to get clarified.

There seems to be two reports of location the body of the victim discovered.

Quote:
A Request for Notification of Next of Kin is sent to Ottawa. It states that the body was found 120m east of the Eisjoch ski lift. However, a police report made by the officer who photographed the scene states the body was found 35 m east of the lift.

I therefore ask everyone of you who ski or board that should it be something concerning your own safety when you walk away 35m or 120m from a chairlift? This is a distance of either 115 to 400 ft.

Is it reasonable for a skier or snowboarder in a deserted glacier in summer to walk away 58 paces (an adult walk at 2ft approximately per pace) from a chairlift and disappear from the face of the earth? and then there is nothing a resort can do to stop it from happening again? It was already known another victim fell to his death at the about the same position one year 5 days earlier.

I personally find it upsetting that the rental shop denying no rented equipement missing, and so caused the police to stop searching, when the snowboard instruction sworn it his affidavit statements that he went to the rental shop to clarify the equipment hire. He charged the victim 500 schillings instead of the normal 550 schillings because the latter was inclusive of the provision of equipment. The skiing instructor did not clarify if the equipment was from the hired shop but the fact both him and the victim went there together tell me the equipment wasn't victim's acquisition from elsewhere.

If there was only one place for the equipment hire in the resort what the shop people had done is criminal to me because the record was also dstroyed.

So, cock up or conspiracy to cover up?
latest report
gribbler, I'm very sorry for your loss, as I'm sure we all are.

I don't know anything about this incident, but I do know (through word of mouth only) about the Hong Kong (I was told Japanese by locals) student. We used to be able to ski to the bottom of the very long drag in summer (I have done a fair bit of training in Stubaital on Heini Messner's camps). The student apparently fell off the drag and tried to cross the off piste area to get to the piste and fell in a crevasse. The following summer the bottom part of the lift was closed and to my knowledge had never been re-opened for summer skiing. The run back from the Eisjoch chairlift comes down a steep pitch which has a huge crevasse just to the side (and presumably across the piste), the last few times I skied there that was also closed in summer when it appeared to be perfectly OK - maybe as a result of this incident?

Skola, I'm about to upload today's photos to do the opening day snow report, get your OH to look - it's hot! Very sunny, and the snow was good.

pam w, If it's still safe we may well go onto l'Echines next week - it was lovely today. Laughing

WRT skiing off piste on a glacier in summer - unless you know where the crevasses are and the condition of the snow bridges it would be an extremely silly thing to do. Lots of snow has melted and the bridges are not as strong as in winter. Tourist skiers/boarders should and are discouraged from doing this. One of our lifties fell one leg into a crevasse near the nursery slope a couple of years ago - DO NOT WALK ON A GACIER - skis and boards may slide over the top, a foot can easily go down.

WRT responsibility: our lift company was held liable for 2 deaths a few years ago when people fell on sheet ice and slid down l'Echines and fell into crevasses and died. They've been much more careful since then, but there are many complaints when runs are closed from tourists wanting to ski everywhere.

No-one should be put off summer skiing on glaciers which is great, but caution should be used all the time, and holiday makers should be aware that glaciers can be dangerous at any time. Yes - they move, and yes - crevasses open up overnight.
snow conditions
FenlandSkier,

The glacier (de Mer) in Chamonix shows different consecutive openings made in the glacier for letting the tourists to walk inisde to see the interior. A glacier does move a few metres a year.

The easiski information seems to indicate in the previous year a skier came off a drag lift, tried to go back into a piste and got killed by dropping into the crevasse. Coming off a drag lift can happen to any piste user. Admittedly the danger here is related to the summer use of the resort.

PJSki,

We put our trust into other people's hand when it comes to saftey in a skiing resort. When something like this happened the victim's family relied on the local people knowledge, good will and experience to find the missing person. The information suggests that some people were more worried about their jobs, reputation and their areas of responsibility rather than the missing person's life. I am sure many Austrians have gone over the top to provide the assistance but some aspects of the incident did warrant investigation into.
snow conditions
saikee, So, cock up or conspiracy to cover up? The allegation is that there has been a cover up. I can't find any evidence of a conspiracy.
snow report
saikee, The Mer de Glace may move metres a year, but our glacier only moves about 4-6 cms per year! I believe the Girose is much faster, but not nearly as fast as the Mer de Glace which I believe is exceptional. There were warnings - there always are about not going off the marked piste etc. We have lots of them - I ignored two (including climbing over a large snow wall to get onto the Echines) today. Shock
snow conditions
PJSki,

The OP's title is "quest for facts".

I somehow feel the family of a young and healthy hockey coach player is entitled to know if the loss of their love one was accidental or was there any foul play involved. Don't think we are talking conspiracy here, just explanation for the glaring discrepancies.
snow report
saikee wrote:
PJSki,

The OP's title is "quest for facts".

I somehow feel the family of a young and healthy hockey coach player is entitled to know if the loss of their love one was accidental or was there any foul play involved. Don't think we are talking conspiracy here, just explanation for the glaring discrepancies.

Gribber's post contains 'glaring discrepancies' from what I can see.
ski holidays
saikee wrote:
.......I somehow feel the family of a young and healthy hockey coach player is entitled to know if the loss of their love one was accidental or was there any foul play involved. Don't think we are talking conspiracy here, just explanation for the glaring discrepancies.

It would seem the ECHR disagrees with you.
Quote:
The parents have taken the case to the European Court of Human Rights alleging his rights and freedoms had been violated. The Court found there was no case to answer.

20 years on from the accident, I cannot see what further action could realisticly be taken.

A further thought: when ever we slide on snow in a foreign country we do (like all tourists) accepting the law, police and judicial system of that country. If we don't like that, we should not go there.
snow report
achilles, If the arrow pointing to where the body was found is in the right place in that artical it's nowhere near the Eisjoch chairlift. which is right then?
snow report
I was wrong about the lift - the Eisjoch is the T bar (several) going up the glacier - I was thinking it was the chairlift (report said chairlift) at the top which it's not. Looking at the map at http://www.alpineskimaps.com/htm/austria/stubai/winmap.htm You'll see a 7 marked in a diamond which is where the wall and big crevasse I mentioned is. you can also see blue run number 1 below Eisgrat and to the right of two lifts - I think there was only one in those days IIRC - those are the lifts and the run that the HK chap tried to get across to - I do remember ropes and signs warning of crevasses.
ski holidays
I am Duncan's mother.

Many of the questions/concerns raised in this discussion are fully explained in John Leak's book, "Cold a Long Time: An Alpine Mystery," and on the website: coldalongtime.com.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David Goldsmith wrote:
According to Planetski.eu they recently took their grievances to the European Court of Human Rights.

This report from Planetski.eu:
http://www.planetski.eu/news/401

Huh?

You are implying the case is still open and invite further discussion? However, the next sentance on that article was this:

Quote:
The Court found there was no case to answer.

You post a thread with deliberately misleading information. Why?
ski holidays
abc, Look at the date! It was 3 years ago. As others said at the time best let rest.
snow report
let rest is for the family.

I'm questioning DG's motivation in stirring it up. Particular he still called himself a "journalist". So he's play fast and loose with words is putting him right in the same leagues as the worst kind.

Usually, when DG comes posting in snowheads, he post MANY threads. This is quite rare he didn't come back to post in the same thread, nor open other threads.
snow report
lyndamac, welcome to snowHeads.
This is the first time I've looked at this thread. My condolences for your loss.
I hope that this new book - you presumably posted on here out of a wish to promote it - does well.
snow report
abc, have you actually read the post immediately above yours? What's the point in blathering on about another poster who hasn't actually been on the forum for years now? Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Sorry, Embarassed I didn't see the original thread 3 years ago. So I took Boredsurfing's comment to mean this is an old matter.

I didn't realize the victim's family had resurrected the thread. I'll now let it die...

I guess I at least derailed it so now no one would notice the book spam. rolling eyes
snow report
lyndamac wrote:
I am Duncan's mother.

Many of the questions/concerns raised in this discussion are fully explained in John Leak's book, "Cold a Long Time: An Alpine Mystery," and on the website: coldalongtime.com.

hi linda, my heart goes out to you and your family. I think you are doing EXACTLY the right thing and all those.people who suggest you should 'let it lie' are clueless and should be ignored.

I hope you find your answers and this should hopefully bring you some peace.

never give up x

hammy
snow conditions
abc, Keep up, Goldfish hasn't posted on here for years now, although Stoatsbrother is still here, Toofy Grin Laughing
ski holidays
I know this is an old thread but I have a great theory about the cover up... maybe it is mentioned in the book... who knows??...

Quote:

Maybe someone made an unit error between Austria and accross the pond..

120 FEET = 36.5 meters ... so after doing a bit of rounding i'd guess that the 120 meters is supposed to be in feet.. bit coincidental to me...

Anyhow, even 23 years on this is a sad loss; sympathis all round.
snow report
To anyone who has questions about what really happened to Duncan on the piste, I suggest you check out the new book, which covers all aspects of the case. The book, "Cold a Long Time:An Alpine Mystery" by author John Leake, just won the 2012 Independent Publisher Award (Bronze/True Crime)

Also check out the website:http://www.coldalongtime.com - you can also watch a short video about the story, which is narrated by actor Bill Paxton.

Lynda MacPherson
ski holidays
lyndamac, just seen this thread. I have a fun loving, snowboarding son. My heart goes out to you and your family. x
snow conditions
The following information is obtainable from the Internet but it does show up the danger Mr. Duncan MacPherson could have faced.

I started by posting this photo reported by PlanetSKI to be Duncan’s car left in the Stubai car park for 6 weeks (between 9 Aug to 20 Sep) but did not catch the attention of the resort staff.

One can find this place by either Google map or Bing map. Just search “Stubai Gletscher” and locate the Mutterberg chairlift station that has a very large car park.

The body Mr. Duncan MacPherson was reported to be 35m or 120m from the east of the Eisjoch drag lift according to the information collected by PlanetSKI which provides the chronology of events.

The chairlift system can be seen from Bergfex.com. Locally to Eisjoch drag lift there is Schaufeljoch gondola with Piste 1a on the East side (where the body was found). On the west side there is the Eisjoch "chairlift" and Piste 1. Both Piste 1 and 1a are blue runs suitable for begineers as Austrin resorts have no green run. Theses lifts and runs are depicted below. If Mr. Duncan MacPherson was getting snowboard lessons for more than one day he would be unlikely to wander off the piste which appears to be fenced off in one of the above photo.

One can appreciate the physical condition by a bird's eye view from the Bing Map which does indicate some crevasses in the area.

It should be pointed out that we do not known when the Bing map was prepared but the view confirms that it was summer and only the upper section is skiable.

What amazing is when I zoom in the Bing map it shows up some large crevasses.

Not been skiing Stubai Glacier in summer I cannot confirm if the same Piste 1a (Duncan's body was reported on the East side and at either 35m or 120m from the Eisjoch drag lift) is used both in summer and winter but there is no doubt some large crevasses are features of this glacier.

The conclusion I could draw is the staff who run the summer skiing should know the risk associated with these crevasses and should have checked the site after each skiing day as this is the standard practice of every resort. The decision to permit skiing after two fatalities in consecutive years must raise some eyebrows.

It should be understood that the crevasses seen here do not necessarily correspond to the condition Mr. Duncan MacPherson experienced in 1989. I post the information here mainly to reveal the size and extent of these crevasses present so close to the reported Eisjoch drag lift. I was surprised by their obvious presence.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 26-05-12 0:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy