Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

most embarrassing moment on skis, come on, dont be shy!

Poster: A snowHead
I know everyones got one(or in some cases 2 or 3, in my case, MANY)but whats is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you on skis?I have fallen out of/ off of many lifts all over Europe,(possibly due to alcoholic over-indulgences,) but my crowning moment was when I couldnt even get on the t-bar in Hinterreit Embarassed Popular with racers they set the t-bar unnaturally fast, and I do say in my defence,it was very early and the metal poles were covered in ice,but I just couldnt get on the damn thing ,crowds of impatient racers were building up, tutting and laughing at my total incompetance,after about 10 attempts, I am ashamed to say I slunk away, my cheeks blazing Embarassed
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Falling off the drag lift at Hemel ski centre in front of 150 snowHeads Embarassed
Wait a mo, that's not heppened... yet Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, OMG, what a dreadful thought. That's it then. I'm not coming. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Jan09 - mis-timing (badly) a hockey stop in front of a cafe somewhere between Morzine and Les Gets.

It was a sort of sunken wooden-decked terrace affair, surrounded by a big snow bank.

Needless to say, I fell - well 'launched' - into it. Hard.

Looking back, I could really have hurt someone. As it was, I got a round of applause, and took a little bow.

There was a good cock-up trying to do a jump in Sestriere the year before. I went over a little side-of-the-piste kicker, and landed on my back bottom. Sig-other followed, and landed on top of me, and our mate - hearing our yelps and mistaking them for joy - followed suit. The result was something rather akin to a Razzle centrefold.

Again, looking back, we're lucky to still all have intact spines.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By the way, if any of the Morzine/Les Gets/Avoriaz snowHead crowd happened to see the event above, or has a photograph, please let me know Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My most embarrassing moment probably wasn't at all serious, not like breaking my knee cap about 200yards from my back door like I did on a season I did, stupid moss covered rock looking like it was soft to land on when I crossed my skis!

The most emabarrassing was this season at Villaroger, after a lovely lunch going to the lift and there not being any snow, my boarder buddys were jumping forward, while on my skis I shuffled, but then thought hey I could probably jump forward on these too! No, no I couldn't! I jumped, landed way to far forward, my skis stuck like glue to the plastic and I clipped out of my bindings and fell flat on my face. Luckily there was no queue, but when I turned around the HOTTEST ski lift person I had ever seen was laughing at me, and apparently said "gutted" in french! Nice. Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I was new ski instructor in Austria (soll) back in the days of black and white TV. Told a class to observe exactly what I did and then copy (you can see what’s coming here can’t ya). Didn’t realise I was stood on a small snow ridge, turned to face down hill, skis crossed and I went rolling off down the hill. Think the class are still laughing after all these years. Even worst some of the local Austrian instructors where watching. They just skied off laughing. Embarassed
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My story isnt entertaining - One time at Glencoe I had a empty crisp wrapped in by ruksack, and opened it to get some water, and the crisp pack caught a gust of air and blew away.

Got some very dirty looks from the lifties but I dont think they understood it was an accident - so to display that I popped out of my skis and went looking for it (even tho it was loooong gone).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was once on a chairlift at Kitzbuhel, laughing at the antics of two people who had crashed and got tangled up. I failed to realize I was almost at the top and suddenly had to get the bar up quickly, but got my kit caught in it. The chair sailed on into space with me still on it.
The turn around at the top was high up in a small, open shed where everyone could see me, and the liftie stopped the lift to let me off there. I went down the stairs and out, closing the door behind me, trying not too successfully to be inconspicuous .... and caught the bobble of my hat in it as it locked shut.
It took me about a quarter of an hour to get the liftie to understand that I needed to be rescued again and for someone to be free to open the door for me. Embarassed
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Skiing down to meet up with my boys and their instructor and falling flat on my @rse
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
A t-bar incident in Kitzbuhel. I normally would vastly prefer to negotiate these things by myself, but the person who arrived along side me and clearly didn't want to wait for the next one was a rather cute German chap so I went along with it. We struck up a bit of a conversation on the way up and he seemed even cuter. Then the dismount area at the top had an inconveniently positioned ski school, and in my attempt to avoid them I got a bit tangled up with fit chap and erm, landed on him! Very Happy

Can't think why I never had any success with men. Snigger...

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Mon 18-05-09 13:23; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Falling off the draglift at Castleford in front of several SnowHeads

Embarassed
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Getting to the top of a T-bar on the glacier at Les Deux Alpes, and at the very top of the steep ramp up to the unload point............the rope snapped and me and II set off back towards easiski at a very sharp rate of knots. No one was injured but the T- bar was bent theoght 90 degress and easiski pulled seveal core muscles whilst laughing.

I like to think that the rope was worn Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Note to self, dont get on drag lift at Hemel behind Frosty the Snowman, Toofy Grin
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whilst not me but was most embarrassing for the culprit. Was enjoying lunch in one of the restaurants in Les Menuires on the terrace and a lady decides not to stop before the terrace but keeps going across the wooden decking straight into a french couple enjoying the sun in a deckchair. They quickly became a large heap on the floor and a spontaneous round of applause broke out before she swiftly moved on to have her lunch. Needless to say everyone found it hilarious!
snow report
ernie, was it me, in drag?
snow conditions
Mine was when i was dabbling with one of those funny tray things, snowbaords i think they call them. Was in alp d'huez and was on one of the runs that leads into the main area where a lot of the lifts go from i.e. lots of spectators. I was having trouble with turning so had a sudden brainwave, why turn at all. So off i went going pretty rapid, probably looking like I may have known what i was doing until i was getting to the bottom and realised that at some point i would have to try and stop. Unfortunately stopping is much like turning, which remember, i couldn't do. I gave it a bash, caught the front edge and did a good old fashioned high speed faceplant infront of all the people hanging around at the bottom. Nice.

A couple of my friends have had bag straps get caught on chairlifts before, usually jsut enough slack so that they can stand up but then just get dragged along underneath for a while. One of them had a particularly long distance from the unload to the turn around point where the emergency stop doodad is. That was pretty funny.

Oh and the last one was on a drag lift in Meribel i think it was. Well it turns out those no wiggling signs are there for a reason. 4 or 5 of us all doing it, one of the guys went under a pilon and off pops the cable. Thing stops dead. Fortunately it was near the top (but not so close that they could see who the culprits were) so we jsut got off and walk/legged it the rest of the way. Went passed it about 30mins later and there were still people hanging on as it went to the top of a learner slope but had a line of trees between the lift and the piste, the beginners didn't really seem to keen on hitting the off piste.
snow conditions
Aaaah "let me count the ways" Embarassed
Tbars have been an endless source of amusement. St Anton a couple of years ago being particularly productive, I went up 1 with No 1 daughter, I was on the right as was the "dismount", daughter did a right turn in front of me to get off. I avoided her but not the huge hill of snow just beyond. My skis got stuck in the mound and it took a while for me to get out. My sympathetic family were wetting themselves.
Later that day, different T bar my wifes jacket grabbed the T bar when she let go and she took "big air", strangely I wasn't supposed to laugh at that. Laughing but I did.
ski holidays
paulio, Les Blanchots? Laughing Wasn't there to take a pic of you and I very much hope there wasn't anyone there taking a picture of me in April - having just prised myself out of a deckchair, my youngest shouted that I'd dropped something.....

a little device commonly known as a tampax, in a sort of high viz green packet Embarassed Embarassed
ski holidays
a mortifying experience as any girl will tell you!Reminded me of a time in Bad Hof Gastein when my hubby accidentally on purpose slipped a packet of condoms into a very elderly and hugely unlikable gentlmans bag, to hear his wife a few minutes later ask where they had come from! Toofy Grin
latest report
Lou, I don't know if it was Les Blanchots. I just dearly hope somebody here saw it. Because it was awesome.
snow conditions
DAB, Laughing
snow conditions
Mine was in Wagrain last year 08, was a school trip and the first day. We were racing down to the bottom of the "red 8", half way between wagrain and flachau, at the village of moadorfl. I was ahead by a mile, and decided to cut the corner of this hairpin bend. I lost control and flew straight into the safety netting as there was a rather steep edge/cliff! I hit the last bit of netting so was rather fortunate!

The most embarrasing thing i've seen was also at wagrain. Another school from england were coming up the lift we were waiting at the top of. One lad thought he was rather special but managed to catch his tip on the lump you get just before the get off area. He then fell off the chair, and his backpack was caught by it, resulting in him being dragged for a little bit! Was hilarious!
snow report
OK, I may be of modest experience but still have a red-face moment under the belt! I was in LDA. Easiski in her wisdom took my group fairly early on to freshly powdered terraced tennis courts. Straight down the 1st terrace? Nerve-wracking but achieved. Then came the instruction to go diagonally down a terrace, holding the edge, with skis parallel so as to go between what looked like the separated head and body of an ex-snowman. Me, skis parallel? C'mon, everyone knows Butterfly+nerves=B.I.G snowplough! THe other students do it easy-peasy. My turn. I forget the golden rule - where thou shalt stare shall thy skis take thee! Yep - I focused on the deceased snowman, not wanting to make his acquaintance, and ended up planting my face in him very spectacularly Embarassed .
latest report
That guy on the chair lift in vail has probably been the best ever.

Not mine, but my dad managed to fall and then get air while sliding on his backside tumbling into a car park taking out some people getting their gear out of their car. I have also seen a guy come out of the trees too fast and impale a frozen snow bank with his skis. Rather than falling, a piece cracked off around his skis sending him spinning down the slope with his skis captive in a block of ice before he fell.

My most embarrassing ones have always been on xc skis on hills. Super skinny, super long skis with no edges combined with all extra degrees of freedom of the free heel (an non-releasing bindings) means I have crashed in a variety of painful contorted positions requiring outside assistance to enable disentanglement. It is perfectly possible to crash and have a ski tip dug in above you head while also having the tail of the other embedded in the snow - I know because I have done it.

Alpine skiing, mine have been pretty tame:

1. Managing to clip an edge at the beginning of a completely flat section, I gathered my released ski I noticed the brake had bent. This and having lost all my speed meant I had to pole push on one ski all the way back to the ski area getting endless weird looks from people.

2. Falling in powder and ending up buried up to my neck needing someone to help pull me out.
snow report
I was in Hemel on the drag lift behind Chemmy Alcott admiring the view and then the weight of the bloke in front of her snapped the rope and Frostythesnowman slid like a sack of spuds backwards to Chemmy who gracefully stepped out of the way of the out of control northern bloke who then skittled me down to the botton of the slope. The jammy northerner managed to stay on his @rse and slid into one of the crash mats, Chemmy flew down the slope to make sure I was alright planting a big kiss on my cheek as I assured her I was OK Very Happy
Wait a mo, that's not happend.................yet Toofy Grin
latest report
Mine was at a dry slope May 2006. I was at the top about to set off when I noticed some people I'd been in a class with the previous winter.

Conversation went along the lines of

Them (ski class)"Hey Chris where you been ,its been ages"

Me " Hey, well, you know, I just upped and did a season in France, you now, quit the job"

Them "Of course, wow so you actually did it"

Me "Yep, it was awesome, skied 111 days" (hate the word awesome but it just came out, as it does)

them "Cool you must be amazing now"

Me "Well I can, you know, get down ok"

Them "Right well you first then"

Me - Fell over , both ski's off, chin burn and sprained fingers... Embarassed
snow conditions
Frosty, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frosty, pride, fall etc etc Laughing
snow conditions
DAB, yep..
ski holidays
Frosty, roflmao. oh the shame. i hope the sprained fingers healed quickly
snow conditions
Frosty, Your post has made me laugh the most so far! Laughing
latest report
Iski wrote:
Frosty, Your post has made me laugh the most so far! Laughing
Me too! Laughing Laughing
snow report
I don't tend to get embarrassed but the rest of my family seem to think it's funny if I inexplicably lose balance while standing still on skis and fall over sideways. Don't know why it happens, think it's cos I fidget.

Oh and they also thought my Briko wrap-arounds were embarrassing.

And my stretchy racing pants which I no longer wear (along with the Brikos). Actually, now I think about it, splitting the stretchy racing pants was fairly embarrassing.
snow report
1/2 term holiday this year, I had been on the kids case most of the first few days to try and stop them doing silly things. Then we got a big dump of snow which lessened the clearance under the chair. They were at ski school when I sat down on the chair with my mind clearly elsewhere and wasn't watching the ski tips - one of them buries itself in the fresh snow, nearly catapaulting me out of the chair, the binding released, leaving me on the chair with only one ski, facing the problem of how to get off at the top. This all taking place in the tiny Swiss ski resort where everyone knows everyone that is skiing that week!! So they stopped the chair for me when I got to the top Embarassed , then I had to wait until they sent my ski up with another couple Embarassed Embarassed I had BMF_Skier who was with me take the 'Mickey' for the rest of the morning Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed and to cap it all he then tells the kids about the escapade when they finish ski school Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
latest report
andyph,
Quote:

inexplicably lose balance while standing still on skis and fall over sideways.
Actually, I think everyone does this. It may be to do with stopping suddenly and one's balance mechanism not having caught up with the fact that one is no longer moving down a slope. Or something. I agree it's very embarrassing, particularly since it's always so much more difficult to clamber to one's feet on the flat. Or at least it is for me - old age, for me, was discovering that it was easier to take one ski off in that situation. Sad Sad Sad
latest report
That's very kind Hurtle, but my humpty moments are not after moving, just hanging around. It might be from seeing people sliding all around, you know, suggested motion knocking your balance perception out of whack (stop me if I'm getting too technical Madeye-Smiley ) or maybe I'm just too wobbly. Embarassed At least I can assert they are unrelated to alcohol. Little Angel
ski holidays
There have been a couple of occasions when I ended up with clothing caught in a chairlift, like a puppet on a string, until something gave and I plunged to the ground. That was hardly embarrassing, though, for nobody -in particular, no lift operators- even noticed.

Most embarrassing was when I went down the back side at Glenshee in a whiteout (how it happened is a story in itself). Once I realised I was lost and not knowing whether I was on the way back to civilisation or just wandering further into the wilds of the Cairngorms, I decided to dig in and wait to be rescued by the Mountain Rescue. That was embarrassing but was I was very happy when they appeared after a few hours! The story made the front page of the Daily Express: "Skier builds igloo". At the time I was a teacher and the next day the kids had drawn a picture of an Eskimo abode on my blackboard, with the title "Spriggloo" (with espri you can work out what my surname is) Laughing
snow report
andyph, that happens to me too, usually because I have a rucksack on which is way too heavy and filled with things no-one ever uses but you have to have´just in case´, and getting up is nigh on impossible, I just lay there like a giant overturned beetle thrashing about while my family look on hysterically because that never happens to them Embarassed
snow conditions
DAB, sounds good, post a pic next time! Laughing

But skiing with a heavy rucksack, that can't help your technique can it?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy