Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steepest Artificial Ski Slope?

Poster: A snowHead
Anybody know what / where is the world's steepest indoor and / or outdoor artificial ski slope?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
"The Face" at Hillend is a good pitch
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
map
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
II, Agreed, I understood it was officially too steep for dendix, hence the difficulty edging on that top pitch
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold, yep, I'd reckon on Hillend...although my experience elsewhere is limited geographically and to pre 1987...
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WTF, IDIOT, Artifical slopes are for Losers(Retards in this case)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Smallzookeeper, what is your problem with artificial slopes?

For your information, I have worked with many youngsters and adults who have learning difficulties, deprived backgrounds, behavioural problems, Downs Syndrome etc. A large number of these clients will never have the chance to ski on snow let alone go abroad.

Some of these clients have sampled the delights of ski-ing and boarding on an artificial slope, gaining a form of independence they've never before experienced.

As for me, none of my family skied but I lived near an artificial slope as a child. I gained my love for ski-ing sliding on an artificial slope and when I could, went on school ski trips etc. I am now a BASI instructor and have worked in America and Italy in past years. I'm still as addicted to sliding now as I was the first day I ever skied. All because I had an artificial slope near me when I was a child.

Evil or Very Mad Mad
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowaddict, Well said!! If you live in areas such as Norfolk which have few hills and certainly no snow it is the only place to go if you want to ski.
My son learnt on the dry slope at age 6 and did not ski on snow until he was 10.
He's now 18 the British junior champ at 4 of the 5 events and ranked inside the top 30 in the world for Juniors in Downhill, Super Combined & Super G (top 15). Not bad for a retard!!!

We also do the same with disabled etc at the NSC getting lottery funding to do it.

Smallzookeeper. Come and ski at the Norfolk ski club in Norwich and check out our fun park/ 1/4 pipe. We are not retards and Dry slopes are not for losers. Have you actually ever skied on one??
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whitegold wrote:
Anybody know what / where is the world's steepest indoor and / or outdoor artificial ski slope?

I'd concur with the above. Definitely the first pitch of Hillend (which a has much more boring name now, which I've forgotten). The first turn, which has a nasty camber, used to throw people off the side of the slope! Don't know if it's been re-landscaped.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snowaddict, Plugboy, I suspect that SMALLZOOKEEPER was just responding to Whitegold, that being his normal response to almost anyting.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
plasticaddict, Great to hear, i skied at Ackers Trust in B'ham a couple of times, it made me want to ski more but only on real snow, it compounded my need to ski and get into the mountains.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
II wrote:
"The Face" at Hillend is a good pitch

II, Any rough feel for the angle, in degrees?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Most of the top uk skiers and snowboarders started out on dendix, dendix is far superior for learning technique because it is much much harder to use, your technique has to be perfect. I had never been on snow when I did my first season abroad and but I pretty much lived at the dryslope, I was far better and at a much more advanced level than any of the new seasonaires and kept up with the back to back seasonaires from day one.
As far as I am concerned, that's all down to artificial slopes. People who poopoo dryslopes are usually just too scared of them... And surely retard is a completely non pc and wholey offensive term you small minded, thoughtless tw@.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wouldn't poo poo dryslopes but am scared of them - heard some horror stories about Ackers in B'ham. I learnt to ski on artificial snow indoors and have to say it gave me a great headstart when hitting the real stuff on the mountains.

Don't know anything about THE FACE but nice work on the Ordnance survey map. Gold star for effort and your geography degree is in the post.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have only been to ackers once, it was a good laugh. there was a snowboard comp there one day, it has to be the shoddiest slope ive EVER been to but you always get a good tight knit scene at dryslopes. I miss my home slope very much and the people who used to ride and ski there, Wycombe summit has bred some top skiers and snowboarders over the years.
Hemel used to be pretty damn steep for a dryslope, welwyn is pretty sharp too, they dont have sprinklers either... bit of a board burner...
latest report
On the higher detail map, Hillend's upper Dendex looks to be fixed to a slope of somewhere between 1:3 and 1:2 i.e 33% to 50% gradient. I suppose little things like this can help to explain a lot of the difference between Scottish skiers and British ones. Toofy Grin

latest report
moffatross, Yes, measuring on the map it seems to be about 1:2 in places. I did ski it once many years ago when I was up for the Festival, and liked it.

I presume you meant the Scottish and the English? Or has Scotland left the Union while I wasn't looking?
ski holidays
Bigpantsjayke, Agreed. I learned tons from extensive dry slope racing and coaching in my youth. It made my technique rock solid (as commented by loads of instructors, guides etc years later). Having said that I haven't been near a dry slope for 10 years.
ski holidays
Quote:

this can help to explain a lot of the difference between Scottish skiers and British ones

So the reason you are all so miserable is because you are too stubborn to go abroad to use a decent slope because your slopes in scotland are 'steep enough for us!'

i understand now... NehNeh
snow report
snowball wrote:
moffatross, Yes, measuring on the map it seems to be about 1:2 in places. I did ski it once many years ago when I was up for the Festival, and liked it.

I presume you meant the Scottish and the English? Or has Scotland left the Union while I wasn't looking?

Sorry snowball, just a bit of innocent mischief-making. Blush wink
snow conditions
Just saw a programme on television yesterday about the building of the indoor ski slope in Dubai. There they have what they claim is the world's only indoor black run, a 400 metre slope with over 60 metre drop (which is less than 10° or 15%, if my maths is correct). But I don't know whether it starts with a steeper drop and then levels off. Anyone been there?

The top section at Hillend is certainly steep enough for most folk.
ski holidays
The "Face" at Hillend has to be the steepest and scareist part of any slope in the UK. As a "plastic spastic" from years ago i have skied on most of the Uk slopes in my time. "Blah Blah" i hear you say. For someone to mock skiers who ski on plastic i think he should shut up, as he hides behind a forum name and wont identify himself so he can be mocked. If us skiers who started in the late 70s when the plastic slopes took off could have the use of the indoor slopes we have now, we would wip all todays racers. Rapid gates, carver skis, try doing a slalom on 205s around poles that did not move if you hit them and see how good you are.

As Frankie said we were "WELL HARD"!!!!!
latest report
THE THING wrote:
.....i think he should shut up, as he hides behind a forum name and wont identify himself so he can be mocked.....

We already know who he is wink
snow report
I reckon if all you skiers who started in the late 70s had use of indoor snow then I doubt you would be half as good as you say you are. You don't get better by making life easier.
snow report
google earth:
snow report
very interesting II, I am sure. But what/where is it?
latest report
espri wrote:
Just saw a programme on television yesterday about the building of the indoor ski slope in Dubai. There they have what they claim is the world's only indoor black run, a 400 metre slope with over 60 metre drop (which is less than 10° or 15%, if my maths is correct). But I don't know whether it starts with a steeper drop and then levels off. Anyone been there?

Yes, that is 15% over-all, which is 8.5º Not what I'd call a black run, but it probably includes all the run out and possibly even the flat bit at the top?
I think Milton Keynes is about 15º at the steepest section but probably similar over-all.

If the steepest part of Hillend is 50% that is 26.5º, which would be normal for a black in the Alps.
ski holidays
ccl wrote:
very interesting II, I am sure. But what/where is it?

it's a program shows a virtual 3D earth Toofy Grin

in this case the top part of hillend dry ski slope
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Here are a couple of pictures of the Hillend slope. The second one gives some impression of the steepness.

First a general view from the bottom ...

The long view flattens out the slope but this picture from the top shows the steepness better - the couple of skiers look as though they are gingerly testing their way, having just come across from the top of the chairlift.

snow conditions
Hillend...I had no idea where that was.

I have a sudden urge for a trip to edinburgh!
snow conditions
The face is great, really narrow and steep.

I also had an amazing experience there in October - whilst standing at the top an owl silently swooped over my head at a little over arm's distance and pounced on a fieldmouse about 5 metres infront of me.
ski holidays
Racing at hillend possibly one of life's scariest experiences Shocked Had the start marshals in stitches when stood in the gate (who decided they needed a start ramp ffs - it's steep enough) and they said "go" to which I replied "do I have to? I really don't want to die!" Toofy Grin I particularly like the way it's so narrow that if your line is slightly wrong going round some gates you end up on the grass Madeye-Smiley
snow report
They used to start our uni races a bit lower so we missed off the really steep bit at the top. I guess because there were lots of people who'd never raced before.

Is it one of the few slopes where you can have a GS race on plastic?
snow report
beanie1, it is indeed - that was VERY scary!
Like you I'd previously done uni racing there from lower down - had forgotten how steep the top was Shocked
latest report
The have a GS at Pontypool each year as part of the Celtic Cup series.
ski holidays
Okanagan, they do - much shorter than the hillend one tho, only usually about 6 or 7 gates I think - quite good fun - tho I hate GS! Very Happy
latest report
There used to be GS races at Llandudno too.
snow conditions
Who can forget the legendary Hemel Super-G either? Run as some fun after the qualifier or GP, it was three or four gates at most? Smile
snow conditions
vivski - expected to see you at Rossendale this weekend. Looks like entries are going to be way down, unless they get an awful lot of late entries.
snow report
Okanagan, alas the pre-wedding racing ban is now in effect Crying or Very sad have to say I was sorely tempted when I saw the entry list - still trying to resist the urge to press the enter button Very Happy Probably going to wander up to watch at some point tho.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy