Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Touring setup

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing pretty much over for this year so time to start thinking about new gear for next year....

I'm currently using a pair of Garmont Endorphin MG Boots with Fritschi Freeride plus on Dynastar Mythic Riders. The boots are very comfortable for touring but way less supportive than my downhill boots particularly in difficult snow conditions. The bindings are really easy to use for touring and seem ok downhill but are relatively heavy (2kg's). The Dyna MR's have the biggest camber of any ski I've seen so while good in hard snow conditions they dive in powder. Weight wise they're ok but I'd prefer a much wider ski at this weight or ideally a bit less.

I've also got some Kuro's with Duke's which are great for downhill but too heavy for anything over 1hr or steep.

I'm thinking of changing over to Dynafit bindings to save weight and getting new touring boots and skis to go with them. I've seen the Black Diamond Factor and Dynafit Zeus this year which look to have better downhill performance. Not sure if there are improvements in downhill focussed touring boots for next year?

Ski wise I love the Kuro's so want something wide and rockered (at least the tips). Does anyone do a wide ski like this at a weight that is realistic for longer tours? I believe PM Gear do a carbon version of their Lhasa Pow to keep weight off but can't find the actual weight anywhere?

Appreciate any suggestions!

Cheers,
Bob
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interested in the feedback on this, as I'm going through very similar thought processes myself.

In my case, I want something with more oomph than Scarpa Denali TTs (I have a very wide forefoot), with Dynafit lugs. At some point in the next year or so I will be looking to replace my Black Diamond Kilowatts with something of a similar size; they perform great in soft and breakable crust, weight's OKish (and I'm sure would be great with Dynafit bindings, maybe even a bit light) but a bit more grip on hardpack would be appreciated.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bobinch, I've got the 196 carbon Llasa's & they're 4124g per pair in the flat. The 186 carbon Llasa'a are 3969g per pair in the flat. They are incredibly light for their size, especially considering their high end performance. There's plenty of guys on TGR who are touring on Llasa's with Dynafits so it would be worth checking them out - do a google search on TGR's Tech Talk section first as the maggots will bite any jong who asks a dumb a$$ question that's already been answered.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
bobinch, my Llasa's are mounted with alpine bindings but if you wanted to come over & check 'em out you're very welcome.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bobinch you may be interested in the relative AT boot flex discussion on TGR http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78437 .

If you are going to have a look at the PM Gear side of things then the Lhasa would be an interesting option. I would point out that you would need to be either tall or have good skinning technique to execute kick turns on steep terrain with something that large. There are also lighter skis in the PM Gear range - I put about 60 days on the Lhasas this year but switch over the the 179s when touring.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
... I'm researching such benefits for next season as well ... mainly to have one light, all mountain set-up for big skin / ski mountaineering days ... & have been looking briefly at the TRAB STELVIO LIGHT with dynafit bindings, but also to be able to use my existing skis as and when required.

Boots too, as my very comfortable Scarpa Tornados do not have the dynafit lugs. I am seriously considering the Scarpa Spirit 4 as my feet seem to like the Scarpa last and they have been on the market for a couple of years and have any possible teething faults designed out. I will look at the Black Diamond & Dynafit and any others available, but I haven't tried any yet. Some good information on these subjects on http://pistehors.com/ ... generally ...

.... and more specifically here ... http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Gear/Freerando

PhilW has already made the ski, binding & boot transition and has put in a fair bit of work in the Alps in the last few weeks .... though I still think my powder turns are prettier than his .... Laughing Laughing Laughing Hope he will be able to contribute to this as he has a good setup. PhilW has the Black Diamond boots I think, so he has first hand knowledge of their downhill capabilities .. and another chap that we ski with (French Bernard) has the Dynafit boots. (Both are Green which is why I am unsure who has which, but either would co-ordinate very well with my green skis ... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BernardC, I have the Factors, Bérnard has the Zzeros (not sure of the exact one though, maybe 4’s), Francis perhaps has the same Dynafit boots too... The Factors are stiff for a touring boot, but very comfortable (for my feet!). Of course because of the stiffness they are not as light as some of the other touring boots out there, but I’m happy, all about personal taste I guess. The bolts could do with a good lock-tighting though, having lost the bolt from my right ankle, and almost had to rent touring boots for a couple of days. Sad I also like that I can swap out the sole plates if i wear out the sole / damage them....

Skis....well...don’t go too light! I recently spent almost 3 weeks on Movement Randoms with TLT Lites (total weight inc bindings ~2.75kg), and all I can say is they take some getting used to! BernardC is right, his turns were much neater, any slight issues with your technique are on full display with a really light ski! With a heavier ski you can just charge through anything!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
philw wrote:

Skis....well...don’t go too light! I recently spent almost 3 weeks on Movement Randoms with TLT Lites (total weight inc bindings ~2.75kg), and all I can say is they take some getting used to! BernardC is right, his turns were much neater, any slight issues with your technique are on full display with a really light ski! With a heavier ski you can just charge through anything!

Did we not agree fat heavy ski's were for hiding poor technique Phil ???????? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin I'd rather skin like a goat myself Very Happy

As woman say size "MATTERS" for ski tourers "WEIGHT" matters,It's that simple.

Ski Trab piuma + dynafit tlt vertical o yes I want it,I need it Cool !

Regards Mark
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Blimey, just had a look at TGR - they certainly like their Lhasa Pows!

Spyderjon, I'd be keen to have a look at you Lhasa Pows but your signature says you're in Nottingham and unfortunately I'm out in Switzerland ... 196 seems pretty long. I've got 184 Dyna Mythics, 186 Dyna Legend Pro's and 185 Kuros so their 186's seems to be about the right length for me... Anywhere one can test these in Europe? I've vowed not to buy skis I can't test.

Phil, I saw some of the guys finishing the Patrouille des Glaciers last year and it was pretty funny watching them try to ski down on their super light skis. I do my touring for the downhill so no plans to go superlight!

A mate also has the factors and raves about them. I'm willing to accept extra weight on the boot for stiffness. There's nothing worse than tackling difficult snow at the end of a long day when your feet start swimming around. I've even started using my Nordica Speedmachine 14's and the Kuro's for end of season wet powder - now that's a heavy touring setup! Has certainly raised the fitness level a couple of notches though!

Will definitely try out the factors next year. Any idea if they're ok on wide feet?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BernardC, Have tried Trab Stelvio and Trab Freeride. Lightweight and ok in light powder but bit flimsy for cutting thru crud and other nonsense. Preferred Movement Thunder, more guts. Fischer Watea were good too. Best skis ever: Dynastar Altitrail Powder only 2.8kg the pair but gutsy, great core design. Dynafit bindings were great though, first time I used them, pushed them hard on piste and they felt rock solid. Also they give better feel and contact with the ski than elevated Fritschi things. Have used them a few times since and will definitely be getting them fitted. Lots of discussion elsewhere on the various models, Vertical or Speed get best reports.

Boots, I have Garmont Radium, dynafit compatible, very comfy and possibly the lightest boots around at their level of stiffness. So big weight saving altogether. Only safe to use with touring bindings though. I already had Garmont Adrenalins and the liners fit the Radiums so I only had to buy the Radium shells. So now if I am not sure whether I will be doing touring days or downhill bashing with alpine bindings I take both boots - one pair in a boot bag, the shells in my luggage bag packed with socks and stuff so they dont really cost me space.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Topsmoke wrote:

Did we not agree fat heavy ski's were for hiding poor technique Phil ???????? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

We did! Reminds me of something I read on TGR, which likened fat skis to stabilisers on a push bike! (ahem, takes cover)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dickyb wrote:
BernardC, Have tried Trab Stelvio and Trab Freeride. Lightweight and ok in light powder but bit flimsy for cutting thru crud and other nonsense. Preferred Movement Thunder, more guts. Fischer Watea were good too. Best skis ever: Dynastar Altitrail Powder only 2.8kg the pair but gutsy, great core design. Dynafit bindings were great though, first time I used them, pushed them hard on piste and they felt rock solid. Also they give better feel and contact with the ski than elevated Fritschi things. Have used them a few times since and will definitely be getting them fitted. Lots of discussion elsewhere on the various models, Vertical or Speed get best reports.

I managed to get it wrong again this year ! rolling eyes

K2 Shuksan @ 3kg a pair flat I think was a good allround choice but then messed it up with Freeride +'s,Too heavy for me at my age climbing more than about 1200 in one hit. Why o why didn't I put Dynafit's on them god only knows considering I have sprit 4's (predicting it would go this way eventually).

The Spirit 4's (black tongue) compared to Phils Factors there was not a lot of weight between them.Spirits maybe a tad lighter.Factors stiffer but not by a lot.

Mark
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bobinch wrote:
Blimey, just had a look at TGR - they certainly like their Lhasa Pows!

Spyderjon, I'd be keen to have a look at you Lhasa Pows but your signature says you're in Nottingham and unfortunately I'm out in Switzerland ... 196 seems pretty long. I've got 184 Dyna Mythics, 186 Dyna Legend Pro's and 185 Kuros so their 186's seems to be about the right length for me... Anywhere one can test these in Europe? I've vowed not to buy skis I can't test.....

bobinch, PM Gear don't have retailers, you just order direct from the US. I believe thy dohave some demo pairs in some N.American resorts but I've not heard of any in Europe. The Llasa Pow's are made in the US but a couple of their other models are made in Switzerland so there's a chance that they could have a pair. I'd recommend emailing Pat (the owner, who's also Splat on TGR) via the http://www.pmgear.com site as if there's no demos I'm sure he can hook you up with some Swiss owners.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Topsmoke wrote:

I managed to get it wrong again this year ! rolling eyes

K2 Shuksan @ 3kg a pair flat I think was a good allround choice but then messed it up with Freeride +'s,Too heavy for me at my age climbing more than about 1200 in one hit. Why o why didn't I put Dynafit's on them god only knows considering I have sprit 4's (predicting it would go this way eventually).

The Spirit 4's (black tongue) compared to Phils Factors there was not a lot of weight between them.Spirits maybe a tad lighter.Factors stiffer but not by a lot.

Mark

I think you might have enjoyed the trip anyway .... just a teensy-weensy bit ... ? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Been thinking about lightweight setups a bit more now this Thread has started ...

I remember that in the past I have avoided the Dynafit bindings - largely because a few people reckoned they weren't as safe as say, Fritchi types. It's purely anecdotal and I haven't researched it, some also say they are very safe .... but I would certainly be very interested to hear the safety facts in respect of the Dynafit bindings if anyone has them ...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BernardC wrote:

I remember that in the past I have avoided the Dynafit bindings - largely because a few people reckoned they weren't as safe as say, Fritchi types.

the release is from the heel only, once the heel has released the toe can release if it has not been blocked (even a blocked toe will release with enough force, say an avalanche) so Dynafit definitely do not release in as many orientations as full alpine bindings, certain types of rear, twisting fractures will not release the toe. However it should be remembered they are a touring binding, generally one should be skiing with a great deal of control in those situations.

Whether they are as good as a Fritschi is another question. My experience is that the Fritschi will release in a wider range of falls and probably has a better release in lower speed falls but that is subjective and would need to be tested.

If you are a good, strong skier I don't see a problem with Dynafit bindings though.... however I may not be a typical case, I'm not sure I had a single fall last season and the only release was down to icing in the lugs (watch out for this).
snow report
davidof, Usual advice is "dont use Dynafit unless you are a good experienced skier. Beginners need maximum release potential." That is because there is no DIN standard for the toe grips. They do release, but if they dont have a measurable DIN setting then noone will recommend them for the uninitiated. Having said that, if your heel releases then the toe will always release as well if it is twisted hard enough. (Unless you have locked the toe down for touring, then it's your funeral.)
latest report
Can I resurrect this thread? Any more ideas on the perfect skis for touring? Lhasa Pows sound mighty tempting but $1000 is a bit steep! Anyone tried the Scott Crusairs or Dynafit Manaslu?
ski holidays
bobinch, would a freeride ski with these specs be of interest?
185cm length
136/104/126 sidecut
23.7m radius
Weight 1.94kg per ski flat - pretty light for a great performing wood cored ski of this size
latest report
K2 Side Stash ?
snow conditions
spyderjon wrote:
bobinch, would a freeride ski with these specs be of interest?
185cm length
136/104/126 sidecut
23.7m radius
Weight 1.94kg per ski flat - pretty light for a great performing wood cored ski of this size

Yes, would be nice....
ski holidays
spyderjon, probably a bit too heavy. Now if someone could make that ski at 1.5kg Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy