Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair 09/10 flights Stansted - Salzburg now available

Poster: A snowHead
As titkle says : Ryanair 09/10 flights Stansted - Salzburg now available

That said I just priced a return flight in January.... with both legs at 0.01p the final price was £175 with 1 bagage and snowboard carriage.. Shocked

So I promptly booked with Easyjet to Munich at £112 on the same days and times... wink
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ryanair Half Term with 1 pair of skis

Advertised price Liverpool to Venice £29.99 each way

Total cost £212.93 (actually not too bad) but didn't see the option to pre-book the toilet

British Airways = £147.50 (Manchester - nearest to Liverpool)
Easyjet = £337.77 (East Midlands - nearest to Liverpool)

Oh yeah check this out
Flybe £621 (OMG) (Manchester - Milan nearest to Venice)
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne,

BA's the surprise winner then..
Only half a surprise though. Some my groups are flying lufthansa on manchester-munich for £99..ski carriage included..
No such luck for me from London unfortunately..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

Total cost £212.93 (actually not too bad) but didn't see the option to pre-book the toilet

Am sure the toilet charge is in the pipeline.

Kruisler - Salzburg is difficult to give up as excellent skiing is only 40 minutes away in Amade region. That said it is annoying to have a headline price of 2p and then £175 after all the add-ons.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kruisler wrote:
Wayne,

BA's the surprise winner then..

Never a surprise. Mostly the norm (well, certainly if you live darn sarf innit).

Anyway, Ryanair... http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/business/-ryanair-urged-to-seek-professional-help-200905141761/
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
vman,
Munich only adds about 30 min to my trip to the SkiWelt/Kitzbuhel so well worth using if it is cheaper and gives you the immense pleasure not to have to use Ryan-bloody-air...

Bode Swiller,
I hear loads of people say that, and I am sure it is true, but somehow never managed to benefit from it. Evrytime I fly (within europe), I look at the main airlines and they're always way more expensive... I'll keep trying though Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kruisler wrote:
vman,
Munich only adds about 30 min to my trip to the SkiWelt/Kitzbuhel so well worth using if it is cheaper and gives you the immense pleasure not to have to use Ryan-bloody-air...

Seriously, timewise, I think Munich is just as close to SkiWelt as Salzburg. It's a better airport, less weather affected, faster car hire (unless you get caught out by booking an off-airport jobbie) and better served.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller wrote:
Kruisler wrote:
vman,

Seriously, timewise, I think Munich is just as close to SkiWelt as Salzburg. It's a better airport, less weather affected, faster car hire (unless you get caught out by booking an off-airport jobbie) and better served.

I wonder why the TOs prefer Salzburg? Are the landing fees lower there or something?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, yes.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We booked BA Gatwick - Salzburg week before 1/2 term 3 of us inc bags and skis for around £415 total. We're going out Sat am, but coming back Sun am which saved us a lot (much more than a night out in Salzburg.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller wrote:

We always fly in to Munich when going to the SkiWelt. Usually under 2 hours transfer by road, and pretty easy to get there by train from Munich if you need to.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

We always fly in to Munich when going to the SkiWelt. Usually under 2 hours transfer by road, and pretty easy to get there by train from Munich if you need to.

Sorry folks, I do most of my skiing/boarding in the Amade region these days - 25 resorts all on one pass and Sportwelt region (Alpendorf,Wagrain, Flachau, Zauchensee etc) is only 40 mins from Salzburg and snow record has been terrific for years. Munich is 2 hrs away so it makes a big difference to me. Can't argue with your points re timing to Tirol areas such as Kitz but being able to land in Salzburg and being on the slopes so quickly means I will forgive Ryanair a fair bit before telling the to stick it!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
EasyJet also fly from Gatwick to Salzburg. Weekend to weekend flights with them in January are £97 return with one checked in bag or £134 return with one checked in bag plus skis. A better option than Ryanair in my opinion Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
booked my flights from stansted to grenoble. Half term week for four of us, £551 inc 3 bags and taxes etc which i think is OK. less than last year and is today priced at over £700!! Puzzled
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
vman, Sure you're not getting Sportwelt and Skiwelt mixed up? Kruisler wants to go to the Skiwelt and IMO that's better from Munich.
snow report
Everyone should boycott Ryanair!

The latest scam is no checkin desks and online checkin only. But at a cost! There is no other way but to pay £5 for the privelage. Also checked baggage now costs £10 for the first bag each way, then £20 each way for each extra bag! If you turn up at the airport without your online ticket you will be charged £40 for the lapse of memory!

Here is a summary of the charges this highwayman is imposing

£1.90 - prioty boarding!
£4.75 - C/C charge!
£70.00 - to change a name!
£1 per minute to ask for advice!
£5.69 - wheelchair levy!
£8.97 - insurance!
£4.20 - sandwich!
£2.50 - coffee!
snow report
[quote="Battlezone"]Everyone should boycott Ryanair![/quote

Why?

Just because you don't like the way they do their pricing is no reason for everybody else to cut off their noses to spite faces.

Quote:

The latest scam is no checkin desks and online checkin only. But at a cost! There is no other way but to pay £5 for the privelage.

Wrong. You only have to pay £ for chcking in hold luggage (effectively a fee for use of the "bag drop desk"). If you only have hand luggage, there is no fee.

Quote:

Also checked baggage now costs £10 for the first bag each way, then £20 each way for each extra bag!

Clear enough when you book, I don;t see aproblem with it. But then I have never traveled with more than one piece of hold luggage per person except when I have had (separately booked) skis.

Quote:

If you turn up at the airport without your online ticket you will be charged £40 for the lapse of memory!

That doesn't seem unreasonable. With traditional tickets, if you are stuoid enough to forget them, you will be lucky to get on flights at all.

And you certainly won't if the "lapse of memory" extends to your passport.

Quote:

Here is a summary of the charges this highwayman is imposing

£1.90 - prioty boarding!
£4.75 - C/C charge!
£70.00 - to change a name!
£1 per minute to ask for advice!
£5.69 - wheelchair levy!
£8.97 - insurance!
£4.20 - sandwich!
£2.50 - coffee!

If all the ones you end up paying from those (the CC charge is only one the majority of us will pay) still leave the overall cost of the flight cheaper than any oter way, then where is the problem?

If they don't, then go with the cheaper airline.
snow report
alex_heney, if you care to read the article in yesterday's Times on page 15 you will see that some of your comments are flawed. After 20 May there will be no checkin desks and you will have to pay for the privelage of using your electricity, computer and ISP to checkin on line!

Oh! And by the way I already use an alternative airline! So it wouldn't bother me in the slightest anyway! NehNeh
ski holidays
Ryanair were my airline of choice for many years and I got some super Summer and winter trips with them going back nearly 10 years. That was in the days when a cheap return trip inc all "extras" was £20. last time I used them in February last year to Bergamo, although reasonably priced (they had a free ski carriage offer), I found the whole experience really unpleasant. I find their pricing and other policies very irritating and their destinations not really where I want to go. I now rarely consider them as an option for flights and am much more likely to use BA or Easyjet.
ski holidays
Battlezone wrote:
alex_heney, if you care to read the article in yesterday's Times on page 15 you will see that some of your comments are flawed. After 20 May there will be no checkin desks and you will have to pay for the privelage of using your electricity, computer and ISP to checkin on line!

Oh! And by the way I already use an alternative airline! So it wouldn't bother me in the slightest anyway! NehNeh

It makes much more sense to go the the Horses Mouth and actually read what it says on the Ryanair website itself (as linked to by arv in the other thread).

Not that there is much difference, and I'm not sure in what way you think my comments are "flawed".

You only pay the £5 if you have hold luggage. An there will still be (very limited) check in desks, for those few people who cannot check in online which are
Quote:
Children aged between 14 and 15 years travelling alone - PLEASE NOTE - Ryanair will no longer accept unaccompanied minors under the age of 16 from the 1st October 2009 onwards
Passengers travelling with infants (*)
Passengers travelling with Driving Licences as their form of photo-ID.
Online Check-in is not available from Moroccan Airports
snow conditions
Quote:

vman, Sure you're not getting Sportwelt and Skiwelt mixed up? Kruisler wants to go to the Skiwelt and IMO that's better from Munich.

Don't believe I'm mixed up. I started by saying Salzburg is only 40 mins from Amade. Kruisler went on to talk about SkiWelt/Kitz.....at which point I ackowledged his point re transfers to his area of choice etc Doesn't stop me prefering Sportwelt (which I accept is very different from SkiWelt) being Alpendorf, Flachau , Zauchensee given how quick it is from touchdown to slopes.

As for Ryan Air, appreciate pricing can be irritating but I'm used to it and am able to deselect most of the extras. If it still works out cheaper then I will stick with them. If not I will go elsewhere. Had a bad experience with Easyjet who managed to break a pretty heavy duty ski bag and were no help re compensation/replacement (tried to offer me a golf bag!)...so had to replace out of my own pocket. I was lucky...a fair number of fellow passengers had their skis sent somewhere else in the world.
snow conditions
vman, that was an unfortunate event re your ski bag. Could you not have claimed via your travel insurance? That said, I have used Easyjet for years now and can honestly say I have not had any bad experience regarding hold luggage.
ski holidays
Salzburg is always a better choice even for Tirol resorts as you are not tied to the A9/A99/A8/A93 axes. So although the Tirol resorts are theoretically nearer to Munich, you have all the world and their great-grandparents to contend with, with the transfer buses, especially at weekends. While cars can use a variety of alternative routes to easily by-pas the traffic jams, the tour buses can't. It only takes one dozy driver with summer tyres (and many of the southern European HGVs are included here) and the whole network is gridlocked.

As some of you know, I live on the border with Germany and Austria in the mountains above the A8/A93 and have done now for a few years now. None of us (locals) bother with the autobahns after 10:00 am or before 20:00 at the weekend in the ski season - the chances of being snarled up are just way too high. We have lots of alternative routes which when we have to travel that access will get us there faster with less risk of any hold-ups. The Saturday is definitely the worst - the radios call it bed-change traffic (Bettwechsel-Verkehr) as Saturday is the transfer most choose. Put that with the risk of bad weather - snow or sleet, then the odds on not being on time for a pick-up or drop-down are HUGE. I once took the best part of 8 hours to drive from Salzburg to Munich due to a combination of heavy traffic and heavy snow. We were stopped at the border and made to put the chains on for the autobahn although we had snow tyres fitted, as they just could not clear the amount falling sufficiently to allow people to drive without them. As I remember it snowed all the way back to Kent that particular trip, it was a nightmare!

I stopped using Ryan Air when they stung me for £300 for a return flight after they had printed the wrong day on my ticket, I had checked the date only which was correct. I had copies of my booking screens with the correct day/date on them but that counted for nothing. On their machine I had missed the flight they had me booked on. I should have checked and informed them of their mistake they said. I pointed out that that would have cost me their administration fee, and was told yes, it would have applied, even though the mistake was not mine. They then left my luggage behind to top it off, even though it had been security cleared by Lufthansa and was sealed. I had to turn up to make a presentation without my notes as they were sitting in my sealed bag in a "bomb-proof" container on the outfield at Halbergmoos (Munich Airport)! Fortunately I was well-prepared enough to manage without, but only just!

I find Easy-Jet just as obnoxious and prefer to use Lufthansa or German Wings, their cheapie version.

Sue wink
snow report
Quote:

vman, that was an unfortunate event re your ski bag. Could you not have claimed via your travel insurance?

Probably could have gone insurance route but once excesses are taken into account plus trouble of claiming and needed to get replacement quickly, decided not to bother.
Have friends that swear by easyjet but that once experience has left me scarred!
ski holidays
I use both BA from gatwick to Salzburg, and RyanAir from Stanstead to Salzburg, each have their own merrits, pricing in my experiance over the past 4 years is that they are similar in price.

BA start flights earlier in season, allowing for Wk 1 December, season opening skiing. But travel isn't particularly flexible. BA also works for Wk 1 December when flying to Ischgl.
Stanstead, mave multiple flightsd every day of the week, take the 6:30 on a saturday and come back on the 21:40 saturday, you get to realise an additional 1.5 days on the white stuff.

When all is said and done, they are just airlines, I'm a skier not a bloody plane spotter, airline critic.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy