Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Finlay Mickel retires

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Finlay Mickel, Britain's No.1 downhill skier, has announced his retirement so that he can spend more time with his family.
The 31-year-old has decided to quit the sport after a long battle with injury. ...
See: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/winter_sports/8045640.stm
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sad news, but pretty much inevitable given his recent run of injuries.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Very sad, I watched him when he got his 10th place at Wengen and was actually staying in the same hotel at the time so saw the interview live so to speak as it occured right bellow my balcony Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep sad news. Finlay's a really great guy. But the injury's have taken their toll as with Alain Baxter. Both have done GB proud as a non Alpine nation and showed the other low land countries the way.
The old scottish guard has now gone, but there is a group of young guns coming through, especially in the speed events (DH & SG).
Ed drake is currently ranked No 46 in the World at Super G (actually ahead of Finlay) & No 141 in Downhill. Dougie Crawford is ranked at 107 in Super G & 121 in Downhill. Our best Junior, TJ Baldwin still only 18 is World Junior ranked at No 12 in Super G, No 29 in Super Combined and No 33 in Downhill. He is also World ranked No 189 in Super G, No 222 in Super Combined & No 255 in Downhill. All will be racing World Cup & Europa Cup next season.
They can all carry on where Finlay left off.
Good luck to both Finlay & Alain in their retirements!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alain fever continues: we saw on our Twitter (http://twitter.com/wearehardkor if you're interested!) that GB snowboarder Dan Wakeham has announced his retirement! Saw his WC 5th place in Leysin in '06 - he's a talented man.

http://bit.ly/SpcRJ
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Are these retirements anyway linked to the current financial climate (e.g. reduced sponsorship funds being available?)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dan said that his was. That and a lack of motivation. But Finlay and Alain have both been plagued by injuries and have reached a suitable point to call it a day I think.

It's just a shame that Finlay didn't try and do the DH in Meribel in his kilt! Trying to stop at 120km/h to have a whisky might have been a little difficult...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Congratulations to Alain and Finlay on their successful World Cup, World Championship and Olympic careers.
And kudos to Ed for his amazing Super G FIS points.
Plugboy is right, there is a lot of talent coming up. Two that I will be watching out for (among many), will be Jack Evans and Jayme Baggio.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
can we now get away from Konrad as the best ever and acknowledge Baxter as truly the best ever - consistency at the highest level and 3rd in t'olympics surely does it?? (versus 1 second out of abaout half-a-dozen WC races - how many top 30's did Alain achieve versus ol' Konrad - 10 to 1 or more??
No offense to M and G Bell neither - would put ye both miles ahead of KB, but for top class comp starts and finishes then Baxter has it by a country mile

Shame about Finlay, he was deffo knocking on the door. The powers that be (whoever they may be), need to look at themselves - Baxter was right up there in the last several years - would a man with that ability and talent have done differently within the Austrian, Swiss, French, Irish (!!) teams??? What prevented that success????

Fair dues boys, enjoy your retirement - milk it for all you can get - you deserve it!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Edit: deleted as unfair and nasty Embarassed
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Terrible shame. I've spent the best part of two seasons waiting to see him race on the TV again. Sad

Whilst I wasn't staying at his hotel like D G Orf, I still remember the finish and final classification. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Have just been having a conversation about Vancouver 2010 with the kids. Eldest (14) cross that youngest (10) hadn't realised that both Finlay & Alain had retired.

Youngest replied "But they're not 60 yet!"
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy