Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Boarder Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Here goes my first and hopefully not last post in the snowboarding section!

I've skied for 20 years and on a recent trip I tried snowboarding for the first time, I really enjoyed it and my friends (the majority of them are boarders themselves) told me that I picked up snowboarding quickly. After a couple of hours I was happily linking turns in control and I must admit I felt pretty comfortable on the board, so I'd like to do more snowboarding, learn and improve.

The upshot of this is I'm now looking to purchase my first board in the sales at the moment however knowing nothing about boards I need your help. I'd like something that isn't going to be too difficult for me to handle but on the other hand I don't want something I'm going to grow out of too quickly. I'd also like something that is going to cope reasonably well both on and off piste and maybe in the park too.......................If I can find such a thing!

Current deals I have found are.....

K2 Format
Nitro Team
Burton Twin
Palmer Unleashed
Palmer Burn

Can anybody tell me anything about these boards or if they could be suitable for a relative beginner or if there are any other boards that I should be looking at? Also what length board should I be looking at for somebody who is just over 6foot1 in height yet weighs in at about 9.5 stone?

Thanks for your help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The rule-of-thumb on board length is somewhere between your chin and your nose. (prepares for barrage of disagreement)

I'm 5'10" and about 13st and I ride a 161 mid-wide. You don't say how big your feet are Alp, but in my book anything bigger than a size 9uk and you should be looking at a mid-wide or wide board to accomodate your plates-o-meat.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Richard_Sideways, size 7 feet so no need for a mid wide or wide board I presume.

Thanks
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No problems with size 7's at all. The length is a bit subjective, some people prefer longer or shorter boards depending on how they like to ride. I'm heavy (too many apres pies) so ride a mid-wide board thats a bit longer which is great for piste cruising and off piste floating through the powder, but not so hot in the park (though thats probably just my cr@ppiness)

Not ridden any of those you mentioned, but you probably can't really go wrong with a good all mountain board. If you're after an all-rounder, the K2 is probably the best bet of the ones you've highlighted, the others are more park orientated boards... That said, if you're mainly going to be going to the indoor slopes in the UK you may be better off with a lighter park board than a bigger piste cruiser.

Either way it may be worth your while seeing if you can get a couple of trials of similar boards at the indoor slopes before you commit your hard-earned Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alpinebullit wrote:
Cheers Richard_Sideways, size 7 feet so no need for a mid wide or wide board I presume.

Thanks

hello mate,
i was in ellis brigham (off liverpool st, manchester) last thursday and they had the board you want and at discounted prices!!
was tempted myself
lib-tech mullit was on offer at £250 from £465!!!
designed for all mountain use but with plenty of pop and light weight for the park

the other board was the
volkl jibster £180 from £370 short, light and loads of pop, perfect park/jibbing piece of kit , can still be used on piste but as your speed goes up it won't be as good as an all mountain board

i use a RIDE timeless board and swear by it, i also noticed the ride boards weren't dicounted like others !!!
i bought a rossignol board and bindings off ebay for £40 ,its an intermediate board , the owner said he needed a better one as he'd improved,LOL i bet he wouldn't get near me on £1000 palmer board!!, its a damn good board, only problem is it will only go so fast as the base will probably be a 1500/2000 sintered base, the ride timeless is 4000 base as all advanced/expert boards are and will just keep accelerating!! also helps on flat traverses !! and after 12weeks use is still solid , some scratches(rocks wink ) and chips around the edges(skiers in lift queues Mad )
recently i saw a ROME board falling apart after only 2/3weeks use !!! always thought they were a quality board??
i would keep your gear within reason until you know for deffinate what you want and good at!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
51st state, thanks. I was in the same shop on Saturday and they didn't reccomend the lib tect for me, I think they said it was too big a board for me! A few of the boards on the list are ones they did reccomend for me though. I'm just trying to find a wallet friendly set up at the moment in the sales and I seem to be being pushed towards more flexible park orientated boards to start with until I know whats what.

At the mo I thing a board of maybe 156 or 158cm coming in at around £200 or less in the sales will do me just fine (I hope). I just have no idea what to go for at the mo!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
51st state, i has an 07/08 rome solution which shed it's top sheet after a week and a half. they had a manufacturing problem with the resin/glue attaching the top sheet on some lengths of solutions and some other model (agent or anthem i think). mine was waranteed no questions asked. great board, would recomend one to anyone as a beginner intermediate board.

picked up an anthem in the sale with the store credit - just hope it's not too advanced. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alpinebullit, you may want to check out something like a Burton Clash, which is a solid beginner-intermediate all mountain board and you should be able to find one at a reasonable sub £200 price too.
**update** in fact The Snowboard Asylum website is showing a 158 which would be a good size for you, in stock for £165 - jeez anyone would think it's a slow day in the office today... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alpinebullit wrote:
51st state, thanks. I was in the same shop on Saturday and they didn't reccomend the lib tect for me, I think they said it was too big a board for me! A few of the boards on the list are ones they did reccomend for me though. I'm just trying to find a wallet friendly set up at the moment in the sales and I seem to be being pushed towards more flexible park orientated boards to start with until I know whats what.

At the mo I thing a board of maybe 156 or 158cm coming in at around £200 or less in the sales will do me just fine (I hope). I just have no idea what to go for at the mo!

i'm 5'10 and 15 1/2-16stone and use a 161 and 164 board, when i got my first board they gave me a 157 and i've noticed a lot of people push the shorter board, were now i always advise a bit longer, when moving around the mountain the longer board will pay , if you get caught on a flat traverse you'll find it won't stop so quickly ,you won't have to run it as flat so less chance of catching a wrong edge, plus you can play in the powder better on it, i borrowed my 164 board to a mate in jan , he's 5'9 and about 11stone and was flying on it and loved it , 95% on piste use aswell!!
the volkl jibster is the board if you want short,(of the boards at EB imho) if you don't like it , it will sell on ebay and as you get better buy a all mountain board , you'll have the best of both worlds, reading the spec on the lib-tech it will do it all in 1 board!! (imho)
a lot of shops will push burton! the reason is that burton have a no quibble guarrentee on the gear , so its much better for the shops to sell it you rather than whats best !!, i bought some burton boots last year , used them for 2 days and went back to EB to swap for some more "thirytwos" TM model, stiffer advanced boot, Cool , and i use strap bindings , easy/fast fit bindings don't give me enough feel at speed !!
some bindings now have a toe-strap, looks the way forward!! more feel and pushes the boot into the binding better
anyway, just my thoughts , good luck Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard_Sideways, I've thought about the Burton Clash but a few friends have said that I will grow out of that board very quickly and not to go for it.

51st state, thanks for the info, I'll pop back to Ellis Brigham Manchester and check out the Lib Tech and the Volkl in the next couple of weeks. Do you know anything about the Burton Twin or Palmer Unleashed?

With skiing equipment, I generally know what I want and whats a good deal but being so new to snowboarding I'm just stumbling around in the dark at the mo Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alpinebullit wrote:
I've thought about the Burton Clash but a few friends have said that I will grow out of that board very quickly and not to go for it.

True, the Clash more of a beginners board, but its a very forgiving ride and as cheap as chips.

Alpinebullit wrote:
With skiing equipment, I generally know what I want and whats a good deal but being so new to snowboarding I'm just stumbling around in the dark at the mo

I wouldn't get too hung up on it Alp. Yes some boards are better than others and some are designed for specific things like the park or big mountain boards but trying to find the BEST board is like looking for the best ski. You've got to find one you like. Chill Factore is in your neck of the woods, why not head down get a try-before-you-buy.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alpinebullit wrote:
Richard_Sideways, I've thought about the Burton Clash but a few friends have said that I will grow out of that board very quickly and not to go for it.

51st state, thanks for the info, I'll pop back to Ellis Brigham Manchester and check out the Lib Tech and the Volkl in the next couple of weeks. Do you know anything about the Burton Twin or Palmer Unleashed?

With skiing equipment, I generally know what I want and whats a good deal but being so new to snowboarding I'm just stumbling around in the dark at the mo Puzzled

was in there last night, i think the person you need to see is "big charlie" in charge of TSA, and he talks a lot LOL, i dropped my boots back on a warrenty claim, i noticed some boards at £100!! i think 158 should be your minimum length, a more advanced board won't do you any harm and will be of more use as you get better, as a rule, beginner/intermediate boards will be 1500/2000 sintered base, advanced 4000+
some argue base has tobe black, faster and all repairs are black!!
after talking to charlie i found out EB don't have many lib-tech boards as they were being returned under warrenty claims(skate banana in perticular) and lib-tech weren't playing ball !!!! the mullit they have there had me hooked until he told me that !!!!! its new tech and it works !! shame about the quality issues!! i'm still tempted though Very Happy as i spend a lot of time off piste,
burton have the "no quibble" guarrentee , that for me is the only thing in there favour, palmer used to make the dearest board you could buy(correct if i'm wrong) and its another make i've looked at , the RIDE CONCEPT UL they have there is the business but its not discounted like others!!
what do your mates do ???? travel the mountain or stay in the park??, if its the park you need something like the jibster if not get a good all mountain board(can't really go wrong with an all mountain) don't go short, go a bit longer and intermediate+ after that the choice is yours really, wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
don't know if you've seen the youtube thread, but its worth another post ????? "dude i've just snaked by a subaru" LOL Laughing

http://youtube.com/v/Av0VsTxJd78

check out his gymkhana practise Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Alpine, I was in a very similar situation to you prior to my feb trip. I had ridden a burton seven 158 which was great for my lazy style of riding as it was smaller than my recommended length of 162. It was so much easier to turn at slower speeds but at higher speeds it had too much chatter.

After weeks of agonising I bought a Salomon Special 162 (for sale if interested) which was great at speeds but harder to turn at slower speeds. As we went off through trees and off bumps it wasn't easy to manoeuvre but cruising through powder was great. I originally wanted a Zeppelin but some sales people said it may be too much for me but just last month I found one new for half price so I bought it hence the sale of my Special. Its shorter at 161 which I feel would be just right with my riding and though I dont ride at great speeds it should do what I need.

Moral is go for the board you like and dont worry too much about what it is. Palmers are great but very fast, Burtons are good but overpriced. The Team and the Format are not progressive so you may outgrow them very quickly. I would look at 158 - 160 for park and piste or a 162 max for all round because even though you're tall your weight means you'll be ok with a shorter board. Good luck.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks Gainz, thats pretty helpful. I spoke to the friend whos board I learnt on last night. It was a 161 and it was a board that was more suited to powder than the park, which to me with my limited knowledge means thats it was a stiffer board. As said before, he says that I had no problem with learning on that board and thats one of the reasons I don't want to get an out and out beginner board. I pretty sure now that I'm going to go for one thats 158 now I've just got to pick the board.

Also 51st state, my mates tends to travel the mountain and thats what I'd like to be doing on my board too but I'd probably like to have a bit of a play in the park too.

I think I'd better act quickly or all the goos deals will be gone!

Thanks guys Very Happy
snow conditions
Just go for something that's an all rounder, not too stiff, no extreme set back stance etc, and it should go OK. I reckon you're better off spending the cash on some decent boots that are comfy before worrying about the board. I ride an Arbor Abacus powder board, sick on the right day, but bites back on icy cat tracks due to stiffness, extreme sidecut and a set back stance - needs to be owned and ridden aggressively. I just got a Bataleon Evil Twin for mucking around on, but haven't used it yet. Lots of people I've spoken to have great things to say about magnetraction generally and reverse camber, like banana, for certain conditions.
snow conditions
Quote:

51st state, i has an 07/08 rome solution which shed it's top sheet after a week and a half. they had a manufacturing problem with the resin/glue attaching the top sheet on some lengths of solutions and some other model (agent or anthem i think). mine was waranteed no questions asked. great board, would recomend one to anyone as a beginner intermediate board.

Had the same problem with an 07/08 rome Crail. Again no questions asked re warranty. Great entry level board and have seen some good prices available. Good entry level boards will last well - met a guy out in Canada who'd been boarding for years and still used a "beginner board".

I know some of the indoor snow centres used to have tester evenings where you can try a whole range of boards - all advice is great but sometimes you just have to try a few and see what suits you.
latest report
Quote:

It was a 161 and it was a board that was more suited to powder than the park, which to me with my limited knowledge means thats it was a stiffer board

not quite, softer boards are better for powder because they allow the nose to float. if a board is too stiff, its hard work. a 161 will be more suited to powder because it has a larger surface area and being a 161 its probably got a larger nose than tail and a set back stance because not many twin directional boards are built in a 161.

Quote:

Lots of people I've spoken to have great things to say about magnetraction generally and reverse camber, like banana, for certain conditions.

Magnetraction is the dogs danglies... it sticks hard in any conditions due to a mix of higher pressure being put on an edge because the contact points are fewer and the edge working like a serated blade on a knife and really cutting in in icy conditions.

reverse camber however has its ups and downs, especially when it comes to the brand. the K2 gyrator and the stepchild jibstick are examples of awesome reverse camber boards, the way in which the camber works in stages is what makes these boards special, they are both designed to do very different things but they both use the reverse camber tech to do it. The lib tech skate banana and the signal park are examples of not thought through enough technology. the camber on the signal is so instant that speed suffers and turning becomes a whole new sport. The skate banana has great ideas but with magnetraction and banana tech together, the boards have become weak and structurally unsound with huge numbers of boards being returned due to delamination.

Bataleon boards are what i like to call cheat boards... some will disagree but it takes all the skill out of carving, landing spins and doing rails. The idea is essentially a good one, so good that after burton said that the bataleon tech would never work, they are releasing a board which is pretty much an exact replica. good old burton. corporate whores.... The triple base means you can skid all your turns, never ever catch and edge when you land a spin and never hang up on rails unless you really try. for me, thats just a bit cheaty...

Dont buy a burton, for the money it will cost you, you can get something much much better for less. The burton beginner range is absolutely shocking. The high end gear is amazing but the low end gear is reputedly designed for 60 days use. Look at the O-MATIC BORON, that is the best beginners board on the market for price, useability, longevity and progression. The board is very forgiving but allows you to progress quickly without it being a burden on your snowboarding career. (thats what it is... its a career)
The boron is predictable but still good fun for stonking about on the piste.

The rule of thumb with size, is ALL ABOUT WEIGHT!! check the ratings of the board before you buy, the nose and chin thing is balls... If you are short and fat, you need a longer board than someone who is tall and really skinny.

With boots, go for the most comfortable you can find, shop around. Dont buy something too expensive, they will be too stiff and really hurt your feet, they arent designed for you. The for a thinner foot, look at VANS and Salomon ranges. The salomon F20s are a really good upper entry level boot. Thirty twos and northwaves for the wider footed rider. the northwave series is friggin awesome for what they are. they have the best lacing system by FAR.

I know there will be lots of people who will come back at me for some of my comments but Fercam... its all opinion but ive had a lot of experience to get these opinions, i dont pass judgement without it.
snow report
[quote="Bigpantsjayke"]
Quote:

The idea is essentially a good one, so good that after burton said that the bataleon tech would never work, they are releasing a board which is pretty much an exact replica. good old burton. corporate whores.... The triple base means you can skid all your turns, never ever catch and edge when you land a spin and never hang up on rails unless you really try. for me, thats just a bit cheaty...

which board is it that burton are doing that with? I've played with the whole range of next years and I didnt see one. The conDOM version of the dominant had rolled off edges but nothing like the triple base bataleons.
ski holidays
I've seen the 10/11 dealer catalogues already, I can't remember which board exactly and I don't know the specs off the top of my head but bataleon have patented the idea up to the nines so I wouldn't be surprised if it is just heralded as the answer to bataleon but turns out nothing like it.
latest report
Ps- at 9.5 stone, a 162 will be too much for you especially if you want to hit the park, a 162 park board is built for big heavy guys... I would go for a 158 and enjoy riding it. You won't have the weight to put behind a 62 unless it is soggy as a weekend in skeggy.
If you get the chance, go and see big c at TSA in Manc, he used to be my boss and he knows about all there is to know. I would say all the boards mentioned are probably a bit stiff for a relatively new rider. You wouldn't buy a lamborghini after just passing your test. Get a board that'll help you progress.
snow report
Bigpantsjayke, I've ridden some and seen all of 2010 in the flesh, I didnt see a triple base one, the burton guy didnt mention one either. Plenty of flat camber/rocker stuff from them next year though. Would be interested to try one if there is one out there though. Some of them had spoon nose and tails but they did that last year as well. I think it must be the conDOM as that's the only one I played with that had rolled off edges (which the burton rep kind of rolled his eyes up at, the same with the new gullwing bindings Laughing)

Quote:

If you get the chance, go and see big c at TSA in Manc, he used to be my boss and he knows about all there is to know. I would say all the boards mentioned are probably a bit stiff for a relatively new rider. You wouldn't buy a lamborghini after just passing your test. Get a board that'll help you progress.

agreed, the team and the twin are a bit better. The twin probably just edging it. I found the twin to feel quite loose (I like that) but I only tried a 154, the 57 would have been better.
From what I've seen the salomon sick stick is the answer to all of lifes problems (except maybe rail problems).
latest report
johnny
the sick stick is a tool and a half dude... an absolute flyer... i want one big time and im usually the type of doorknob who wont buy a salomon because it is a salomon. there is something exciting about it. its maybe a bit beyond beginners but it is a stonker of a ride for powder junkies and back country booters...
With the burton stuff, ive not seen any evidence of sed burton board in the flesh, ive probably got my wires crossed along the way somewhere, i do remember talking to Rob (burton/forum dude) about some stuff resembling bataleon stuff. I took that to mean triple base, im probably wrong, i often am.

who do u work for dude? i get the feeling i might know/know of you...
snow conditions
Bigpantsjayke, doubt it mate, I'm in la suisse.

I'm with you on the salomon, would never buy (another) one but the sick stick would tempt me if I could guarantee powder days on an injury free day off Smile
btw I've never bought a burton board for myself until I tried the custom V.
snow conditions
I bought a burton bullet once when I was young and naive... 3 days later I sold it for 30 quid less than I bought it for cos I felt bad selling it for the price I bought it for. I have ridden some stonkin burton boards, I loved an UnInc for about 3 weeks, then it lost all pop and I got bored and moved onto the old capita travis rice with the cuts in the nose and tail and the grabs printed all on it, I'm still lovin it.
snow report
Bigpantsjayke, thanks for the advice. I've now found deals on both a Burton Deuce 155 or 159 and the O-matic Boron 157, I think I'm going to pick up one of these two boards.

Cheers
snow conditions
Alpinebullit,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go for the boron... the deuce looks cool but is not a very good board at all... its starting price off the top of my head is £250. Anything les than £350 with burton is a waste of time and fibreglass... You will thank me if you go for the boron, it really is the terriers testicles when it comes to beginner to intermediate boards. Its the best selling board out of TSA manchester this season and that is for a very good reason. We all loved the board when we rode it and have recommended it for just that reason.
snow report
Alpinebullit,
was wondering if you'd bought your board yet and been up to CFe to try it out? let us know how you get on. Im genuinely interested to see what you got and what you thought of it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy