Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val thorens for a mixed group next easter

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Was wondereing if anyone could comment on whether they think Val thorens would be a suitable place for a very mixed group! We have some snowboarders and skiers, and range from a very nervous green/blue run skier who wants to do reds to some very good off piste / black run skiers.

Looking for a Self catered chalet/apartment for between 8-14people depending on numbers and any reccomendations would be very helpful, the closer to a piste the better as we did pop back for lunch last year and found it very helpful.

Doesn't have to be the ritz, but a kitchen with hob/oven is needed and a dishwasher would be nice and a washing machine if poss.

Many Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fizz, lots of people here know VT much better than I do, but I'd say it would be ideal for your group. You'll get lots more opinions. From my experience most decent apartments have dishwashers but very few have washing machines.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
fizz, No where at easter will be cheap. Try the Belambra VVF Les Olympiades, they have several larger apartments, but you may need to book early.
Situated near the Sports Complex , a few mins from Place Caron near the top of the double Poma, the Retour.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
fizz, I've only paid a short visit, but I'd say it was ideal. Oxalys apartments sleep a maximum of eight,and have a dishwasher, and some apparently had washing machines, , but not many had both from what I saw. Didn't see any full size ovens either, only a combo microwave. Most people in the SnowHeads EOSB party managed though.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fizz, Very few apartments have washing machines but some apartment buildings have laundry rooms, with 'pay' machines. This may be the compromise, as the convenience for skiing, eating out etc is excellent.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your input,

Has anyone ever stayed in Balcons de Val Thorens? would this be a suitable option? It looks nice and they seem to have larger apartments
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
fizz, Have a look at www.montagnettes.fr or http://www.loxalys.com/loxalys/residence many of which are also available through www.ernalow.co.uk if you want the security of a UK operator.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Fizz,

I did a season in VT 10 years ago. At that time the Balcons de Val Thorens apartments were very good. Many were used by the UK tour operators as 10 or 12 man catered chalets. There were different size apartments if I recall correctly. Not sure how they have aged?

We now go there every year for the first weekend of December and stay in the Oxalys. These apartments are spacious and excellent quality with open fires and traditional wood beam style - they do a great deal at the start of the season. Depending on how late you go you may get a good offer. It also has dishwashers and a ski in/out location although 5 mins walk up to the bars in the centre of town. I think it only goes up to 8 people but worth checking with them as you may be able to get 2 chalets for 6 r something smilar to have more space. For larger apartments/chalets you can try the top end of the resort. There is the balcons as mentioned and across the road you have the chalets des neiges http://www.chaletdesneiges.com/valthorens/vtpresentation.php?langue=uk, chalet 2400 http://www.montagne-vacances.com/reservation/?AbonneID=7380&langue=_uk&partner=ciao_mv and chalets du soleil http://www.chaletsdusoleil.com/fr/valthorens/index.cfm. I've stayed in chalets des neiges and chalet 2400 a few years ago and both were excellent. There are a couple of restaurants up there and the popular red fox pub. It's a 5 min walk down the hill and across the bridge into the centre of town. If the snow is good you can ski right back to the road that all of these apartmenmts are on via the Plein Sud lift.

Val Thorens would be a great choice for your group at Easter. Snow reliability is excellent due to the altitude, Val Thorens has a good variety of runs for all levels and with the 3V links you have masses of terrain that can be accessed by anyone comfortable on a red run (eg the Mont Vallon in Mottarets or over to the Saulire in Courchevel). If you start early it is no problem to get over to Courchevel 1650 and back to Val Thorens in a day. When we took guests in this trip it was always a highlight. Also in Val Thorens and the La Masse area of Les Menuires you have some sensational off piste itineraries eg the 1400m descent from the top of the Cime de Caron down the Vallon du Lou or from the top of La Masse down the Vallee des Encombres for lunch in St Martin de Belleville. For the fitter types you also have the Gebroulaz and Borgne glacier trips (you need a guide) or the Face Ouest - the big glacier that is lit up when you look up from town. Val Thorens is under rated for Off piste. Personally I think it has some of the best terrain in the French Alps.

Enjoy your trip!

ps Here's the missus tearing up some Easter VT powder from a couple of years back

And when the snow starts to melt on the Lac du Lou in April you can also try a bit of water skiing

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
looks fab, although I might pass on the water skiing?!

where abouts in the ESF/ Main chairlifts out of resort?
Can you ski down to them from higher up? Is it a gentle run?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
fizz, suggest you book lessons with Prosneige if you can .
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
From the top of resort you walk down to the bridge/road (ski down if there's snow on the road) from where you can ski into the central ESF meeting place. It's pretty easy. From Oxalys you ski down a blue and would then take the magic carpet up to the ESF meeting area. Again fairly simple. Beginners could then ski to the take the Cascades or Deux lacs chairlifts from where the top of which there are gentle blue/green runs down. It's pretty straightforward. The ESF is a bit hit and miss although there is a solitary English instructor, David Mitchell, who is excellent if you want to book private lessons. I know him from when I worked in Val Thorens and he is still there. PM me if you want his phone number - he could probably also advise you on accommodation.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know what lifts are free in the resort? Not been for a few years. It says on the website that two if the chairs are free.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
garethjomo, there are two free drag lifts - the twin Retour up to the town square, and the Roc which goes a little way up from the main concourse. Only for the earliest of beginners though, and the served slopes will get quite cut up by the end of the day. No free chairs Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi,

can anyone comment on ski in/ski out locations of the following (i.e how suitable they are) which kinds of runs will they be blue/green/red? proximity to creches/ ski school snow garden/ resort centre/
Is there a pool in val thorens if so how close would any of these be to the pool and does anyone know an approximate cost for an adult at the pool?

Les Montagnettes
Val Chauviere
Balcons de Val Thorens
Chalet Altitude

Many Thanks
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi Fizz
Cannot give you exact locations but this webcam linkk could be good for giving you and idea of how close places are to the slopes. http://www.cyclopevr.com/sites/valthorens/index.htm

The Val Thorens website might have a similar map that shows locations and whether there is a pool etc. http://www.valthorens.com/winter-en/home-page.1.html . [I assume this as the Mottaret one does this].

Apart from the lack of treeline skiing, it is a good all round resort IMO. I skiied it a few years ago when I was a very nervous intermediate and enjoyed it, and we have been back last Christmas on day forays from Mottaret and got across to the 4th valley. Lots to do skiing wise, lots of terrain, lots of fab views.

Enjoy.
latest report
I have stayed at the Balcons a few times. Quite nice apartments, we have always been self catered but I believe the catered option is served in the bar/restaurant downstairs. There is a hire shop and small spar underneath which is convenient. Also relatively good access to/from the slopes. 100m walk down hill to put your skis on (snow permitting) to traverse over to the piste. Quite a steep walk up to it from the centre of the town.

Stayed at the chalet des neiges block last year. A bit older than balcons but still fine, good sized living/dining room etc. Not luxurious accommo by any means but adequate for what we were after. Similar distance to put your skis on than the balcon. steep hill back up to the apartment from the village.
ski holidays
don't know if any of these videos would help you make up your mind

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=EmilieDeSkibed&view=videos&query=val+thorens
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy