Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half Term Prices 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Gone through the roof! Picked up a brochure the other day, nothing really under about £700 SC. Web searches on Inghams, Crystal, etc come up with something similar. DIY the same apartment for 2 I booked in Zermatt this year for £440 is £750 next year. Flights have all gone up loads too Sad Sad Sad

I've got a plan but It will cost me a whole lot more than this year.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Colin B, Have you considered DIY SC? TOs have to make good the losses they suffered through late booking last season - and the rather that they bought in for next. Whereas you can take advantages of present rates if you DIY - though flights/ferries may well be steeply priced.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, Yes but as I quoted above the same apartment I had this year has almost doubled in cost. Added to the increased flight cost it's approaching TO costs. I'm looking at an all inclusive package at the moment which is reasonable.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the issue is with the exchange rate. Last year's prices were set before the £ crashed, whereas 2010 are based on the awful rates we have at the moment,
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Colin B, a fair bit of that is the exchange rate hit, I suppose. A small apartment like ours (2 bedrooms, high quality, piste-side but in a small resort) costs 900 euros to rent from private owners during French school holidays. That's now a lot more pounds than it was a year ago, and even more pounds more than it was 2 years ago. The same apartment is 380 euros in March! It must be very difficult to afford a family ski holiday at half term, no matter how you do it. There's no way I could ever have contemplated it. If it absolutely HAS to be school holidays, either Christmas or Easter could be worth thinking about.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Elizabeth B, Yes and I think the fact that Fasching week coincides with half term week affects apartment costs in Switzerland too.

pam w, I'm going at Easter too! Gotta get the fix in and I enjoy going with my daughter.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Only real difference I have noticed between next season's prices and this season past is the distinct lack of early booking offers. I guess there may end up being last minute discounts nearer the time, but my bunch of ski buddies have booked already so I followed suit to ensure getting the same thing. Pretty much same cost as last year for comparable half board hotel in neighbouring resort. But admittedly not half term.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B, Try www.otp.co.uk ,they are based in Zermatt and don't surcharge for Half-term, so might be reasonable. I'm only recommending them as a very satisfied customer and Jeff Michel who runs it is a top bloke and because he lives in Zermatt during the Winter gets some good deals from the locals. Last year he took me and my son out for a few beers, you don't get that from the major TO's. Cool

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 9-05-09 23:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
geepee, Thanks looks interesting I'll give them a call.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Most small independants have had to put up the prices and the reason is as pam w, purely the exchange rate. I know that if the rate becomes more favourable we will be able to reduce our prices so if this happens there could be some good last minute discounts. Half Term is always going to be expensive as is New Year but if it was spread over 2/3 weeks then the average prices would be less.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colin B, I've had a look at the 2010 prices with few of the TO's I've previously booked with and to be honest I couldn't see a lot of difference in the prices compared with 2009 for the dates we usually go, which is not half term, so maybe it's just those dates that have been significantly marked up ?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Colin B, pension (B&B) prices in St Anton don't seem too bad next half term, if that's of any interest to you.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Colin B - It's fair to say exchange rates have moved a fair bit in last 18 months which has driven up prices. Eurozone is much more expensive for Brits all round. Skiied a fair bit in Canada and forex rates there look pretty ugly too (as does the US Dollar)
However the price differential you've seen suggests they are taking advantage (and taking the Michael). Agree flights are also more expensive and it's amazing how creative (or is it devious?)airlines are - all the things you used to get thrown in for the price are extras now.
That said, most people who ski/board, have the bug and won't want to give up on winter trips - if you can be flexible with choice of country (France/Switzerland remain expensive) and resort (clearly more trendy resorts carry a premium) then you can cut costs.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's v annoying for people who really need that half term week, but I can't blame people running businesses with tight margins and demand likely to be lower, due to the general credit crunch plus the horrible exchange rate, from hiking prices in those non-elastic weeks. It's not "taking the Michael", it's called "market pricing". What's the alternative - pricing the products lower then inviting people to buy lottery tickets to win the right to purchase them?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Update on this. I'm going DIY again, have booked flights to Zurich but at £200 each a lot more than last year. I should be able to get transfer plus an apartment for £250 each tops. Just got to decide where. £450 each to Switzerland for half term isn't too bad in the end.
ski holidays
Colin B, Just noticed this thread, this is where I stayed a couple of years ago, it works out at max £540 for a week with the rubbish exchange rate now and I can really recommend it, excellent location.

http://www.holidaynet.ch/sonnheim/
ski holidays
Book direct through resort web site - their prices will be in € so won't have changed so much is my approach
snow report
lynseyf, Thanks I stayed in Sonnheim this year but booked through Interhome. I'm looking at somewhere different next year, I've been to Zermatt twice now.

Boris, Thanks will try that, looking at Interhome again currently, they are a Swiss company and they have good prices to some resorts (although some have risen more sharply).
latest report
Boris, I agree with this in some respects. However an apartment priced at EUR 700 for week in season 2008/2009 booked and paid for between Apr 2008 and October 2008 would have cost you approx. GBP 555. Same apartment this year booked and paid for now at the same price would cost you GBP 640 which is an increase of over 15% - purely due to the exchange rate. Looking at local 'French owned' properties prices have gone up slightly for next winter - approx. 5%. Maybe not such a good idea to book direct then.....
snow report
Quote:

Maybe not such a good idea to book direct then.....

I don't follow why not. Puzzled
snow report
Well everything now booked up. 2 flights Gatwick to Zurich - £410, Apartment in Laax for 2 through Interhome (in the same block as eng ch's) - £367 (inc 10% Ski Club discount), Swiss Rail transfer ticket will be about £75. I'm quite pleased with that, fancied Laax for a little while and those prices are good, about £425 each (food, drink and passes on top of that obviously). Not nearly as bad as I feared from my initial searches.
latest report
pam w, I mean't direct with resort in EUROS as you are more exposed to the exhange rate then booking through a site priced in GBP where the prices can only go down with sny discounts!
snow conditions
Quote:

It's not "taking the Michael", it's called "market pricing"

If forex rates have only moved 30% over last 18 months and ColinB has seen a 70% increase in quoted prices (£750 v £440). That certainly cannot be market pricing pamw. Just because times are harder, doesn't mean property owners and hoteliers are charging more euros per week and in my experience they are chartging pretty similar rates in local currency to last year.

ColinB - glad you are pleased with your holiday. perseverance pays.
ski holidays
vman, well the seller might have misjudged his market - but maybe not, and I bet there'll be very little property available come half term. The ski property market is really very competitive - in fact it's probably about as close to a "perfect market" in economic terms as you can get. It certainly is market pricing, which is more a matter of inelastic demand than of exchange rates. As I said above, if in general times are rather hard and property pricing is very similar to last year (which is also my experience) then the logical owner is going to attempt to maximise returns at New Year and half term.
snow report
snowandtrek, but is easier for me to benchmark the price from one year to the next IMV - the exchange rate I largely ignore as there is nothing I can do to change it.

I won't say price is unimportant but I'm going whatever!
snow conditions
I suspect the 2011 half term prices will be higher as Easter falls very late, so will not be viable in a lot of resorts
latest report
pamw - don't disagree with principals in your argument and agree that it is perfectly valid to charge large premiums for new year and half term...also agree that these weeks become even more important if you worry abot occupancy for the other weeks of the season. However I believe charges in local currency are similar to last year even for these premium weeks. You may be right that market pricing is driving this shift - it may just be the owner looked at what the competition was charging and felt he had been underselling in previous years.

Boris - right with you there on price. Difficult to give up winter trips once you get started. If needs be, think a lot of people will find ways of cutting costs elsewhere in their lives.

ringmaster - Not looked at Easter 2011 but feels a very long way off!
snow conditions
ringingmaster, schools are increasing taking their Spring/easter break at a more predicatable time though, such as the first two weeks in April, regardless of the dates for Easter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont, for the skiers who are teachers, or have children in school, it would be good if they did the last two weeks in March. wink
latest report
pam w, I agree. I wish I had a say in it.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, Ours break up on 12th April 2011, so the first Saturday will be 16th April - right at the end of the season in Les Arcs.
snow conditions
Took a look in Crystal's brochure today, they are doing Laax for the first time. SC accommodation is £900 for half term week, with supplements it would have cost me 3 times what I've paid. Alright it's in the new super cool Rocks resort but at the end of the day they'll still be skiing the same mountain.
snow conditions
I may be cynical but I suspect that if the exchange rate improves as far as we are concerned, prices won't drop significantly. Booking later, in Euros might be a better bet?
snow report
Just booked our flights for 1/2 term, Easyjet Gatwick-Geneva. Dawn on saturday, last flight the sunday. £200 each.
That seems pretty reasonable to me given the fact it is 1/2 term.
We usually fly BA but they were far more expensive this time.
Easyjet seem fine when I have flown with them, clearly not the BA customer service, but way better than Ryannair.
ski holidays
rungsp, Similar! I flew BA to Zurich this year, Easyjet next. You have to book the BA flights as soon as they come out to get really good deals, I paid £115 for half term this year but booked on the day they were released, wasn't in a position to do that when they were released this year. Easyjet are OK and at least they won't put us on standby as BA did with me this year.
snow conditions
Colin B, ditto Smile
I nprmally sit up until midnight to book the 1/2 term flights on BA release day, but this year redundancy threw a spanner in the budget so we elected to wait and see what happened ith personal finances.
snow conditions
Booked Jet2 Belfast to Chambery for half term 2010. £140 including bags and skis - not bad. Now need to hunt for apartment.
snow report
ruthie, That's good. What dates are half term in NI, this year it was different to England I think.
snow conditions
Colin B, Yes half term last year was the week before England which was great. Unfortunately not 2010, it's the same week 13th - 20th February. Checked with Crystal for a self-catering to Les Arcs in basic apartment and from Belfast it was £750 each! So our prices for flights are good and we hire car and have all our own ski stuff so basically just apartment and car hire to add on. Think we can do it for around £400ish each no food or drink included in that price obviously. So that means we can maybe squeeze another long weekend in the alps maybe!
snow conditions
Edinburgh Munich coming in at £150 at the moment, doesn't seem bad.

B & B in Mayrhofen seems to be about 50 euro just now. (Our 30 Euro apartment has been booked by some forward planning swine).
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy