Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BAd Gastein - tell me what you can

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
who's been there? What's it like? Would you go back?

Which of the ski amade resorts outside of bad gastein, bad hofgastein and dorf gastein are near eg within 45 mins drive?

thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not skied there (Bad gastein) but have friends who have and they really enjoyed it there. Sport Gastein is in same part of Ski Amade and this is pretty good too (plenty of high altitude for ultra snowsure skiing/boarding and great for powder days.

Much of the sportwelt subregion of Amade will easily be within 45 mins of the Gastein area - try any of Alpendorf, Wagrain, Flachau
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Someone here, don't remember name, has a place in Bad Gastein. I'll have a look about.. maybe 'kersh'?! Not sure..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, Laughing Laughing just noticed your location...have you had that a while?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HH, yeh, a few days.

dan100, I had a search, even if Kersh doesn't have a place he's posted with advice on the place a few times so could be your man.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
arv, you guessed right! wink

dan100, would I go back ... I bought a place there. snowHead I'm not the only Snowhead with an apartment in the town, Speedster also has a place near to me.

As an overview, the Bad Gastein is good for intermediates who want to do lots of mileage. There's also loads of off piste to be had and lots of various terrain types. The main Bad Gastein/Bad Hofgastein area has lots of varied slopes, is well connected and is really easy to get about. Sportgastein is high up above the tree line and usually has some great powder off the piste and some great wide open reds that are a carvers dream. Graukogel is limited but is steep and really nice place to escape the crowds. Dorfgastein is one of the places i'd never really been to since this season and I've realised i've really been missing out. It's all in the tree line and they pistes and huts are great, really picturesque, my sort of skiing! Dorfgastein is also linked to Grossarl in the next valley.

As for links to other areas, it's about 30 mins to the Hochkonig area. DJ Fletcher is your man for that area. St Johann im Pongau, Flachau and Wragrain and that area is a little further. Schaldming is and the Dachstein is quite a bit further away, over an hour I think. However if you go to Gastein for a week, unless you ski everywhere at 100mph, there's more than enough to keep you going.

PM me if you have any specific questions or visit www.skigastein.com for more info.

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I spent Christmas there and it was great. Kersh also provided really helpful information.

I agree that for a week there is no reason to leave the Gastein Valley.

I found the best skiing to be in Sportgastein, although it closed often due to weather. Graukogel should also not be overlooked. Can't really comment on Dorfgastein, because the day we went there all but a couple lifts were closed due to wind. The main area above Bad Gastein and Bad Hofgastein is large and varied.

We stayed in an apartment near the gondola, train station and ski bus stops in Bad Gastein that did not involve walking any hills. Other people complain about having to walk seriously steep hills in ski boots to get to/from the lifts. We did not have this problem, but if it is a concern I'd recommend choosing your location wisely.

We nearly decided to go back again next Christmas, and we will certainly return at some time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Had a very good week there and still recall the skiing fondly. We manage to find interesting routes and it wasn't tracked to hell.... but not sure I would gto back without a game plan to explore much wider.

The town of Bad Gastien is very up and down and didn't do much for me...I liked the look of Bad Hofgastien as a place to stay so would consider that option first...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is good skiing from Bad Gastein, where I have skied a couple of times (haven't stayed there).

When I stayed in Ski Amadé, we were based in St. Johann in Pongau/Alpendorf, which is more central than Bad Gastein. But just as we skied Bad Gastein, you could easily ski Alpendorf/Wagrain from Gastein with your own transport. Likewise you can get over to Grossarl from Dorfgastein without any problem.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We also stayed near the gondola in Bad Gastein to avoid the hike up the hill in ski boots. Would recommend the spa too - www.felsentherme.com. We thought the town itself was a little tired but they may have done some work to improve it since our visit in 2007.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
had a nice week there when a bit less competant than now ,would be happy to go back anytime (with snow on the ground)
i remember there was a bit of a hike from the hotel to the ondola (just over the railway) i believe you can eurostar all the way

we stayed in some 4-5 star hotel sportgastein or something ? (pre child ) and it was great - poshest ski holiday we have had.

i remember there was a lot of skiig
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gazza2 wrote:
i believe you can Eurostar all the way

This would be great but i've never found it on the net, do you know something I don't? wink I've looked at getting there by train in the past and the best way i've found is London - Paris - Munich (night train) - Bad Gastein. It's something like 18 hours from leaving London to arriving in the resort but I think but the Nacht Zug (German night train) from Paris to Munich is quite expensive but i've heard is excellent.

Kersh
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Can't see Eurostar going there...but I do think the line goes through to Italy judging by all the FR8 that goes through at night.
I think you'd get so far and then transfer over to IC ( maybe to Basle or Zurich )...which wouldn't be a problem standard wise. I would be expecting a 12 hr trip when all said and done.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

we stayed in some 4-5 star hotel sportgastein or something ? (pre child ) and it was great - poshest ski holiday we have had.

Don't know the hotel but can recommend Sport Gastein resort. Higher up than its fellow resorts in Gastein area (think it reaches 2700m) it always seems to get fantastic snow. Whereever you go in Amade (Gastein/Schladming/Sportwelt/Grossarl) though, one pass covers all 25 resorts so you're unlikely to run out of options.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If anyone books a hotel in the town, let me know and i'll tell you where it is in relation to the lifts.

Cheers
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy