Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Nomad Crimson skis

Poster: A snowHead
I am trying to find the bare weight of these skis - without bindings. Anyone who can help?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dickyb, welcome to snowHeads. What length?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi they are 176 . 2008 model, not the new Ti.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
dickyb, 3350g per pair in the flat.

Atomic UK usually import the Crimson with their Neox 412 binding installed. The weight stated is for the skis without the Neox base plate.

Great skis BTW & very light for their size.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks jon. Yes I love the skis. 3.35 kg is fairly light. Basically I am thinking of taking off the Neox and fitting Dynafit Vertical on them to use for touring. You seem to be an expert on bindings, would that make sense to you?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
dickyb, That would be a great touring package & you probably couldn't get a lighter package for a ski with those dims so go for it. Dynafits are the ultimate touring boot/binding combo but I've no great knowledge of the various models so someone else would need to advise re the suitability of the Verticals.

I'd mount 'em +1.5cm as the Crimson mounting point is a tad too far rearward.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pretty light but you can go lighter Wink
dynafit verticals are good. i have them but i would get TLT Speeds in future because they are lighter. lack of brake isn't a big problem IMO - in fact Dynafit brakes are a bit of a nuisance all round
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Spyderion - all good, will make a note of the mounting setting if I go ahead.

Arno - thanks. What do you do without brakes - attach a toe line to the binding?

As for lighter - yes, I tried Dynastar Altitrail Powder in April - excellent skis, and 2.8kg the pair. They sold out this season. With Speed TLT they would make the perfect package. But new skis = more money!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno - also - I have heard that the crampon fitting on Speeds is a bit weak....made of plastic?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
i think it's the slot in the binding where you fit the crampon which is plastic. guess it depends how much you think you will use the crampons. i avoid this as far as i can so it's something i think i would be prepared to live with
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno - how do you manage without brakes? Sounds scary if you need to use some pistes to get around.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Spyderjon - if I take off the Neox there will be screw holes in the skis. What would you do - plug them with wax? Tape over?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dickyb, haven't done it yet but
- the brakes are carp anyway and don't seem to work half the time
- they add weight
- they make it more difficult to change modes in the heel piece (and lead to broken pole tips as a result Mad )

and a lot of the time i do what everyone says you shouldn't and ski with the toe piece locked anyway
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dickyb wrote:
Spyderjon - if I take off the Neox there will be screw holes in the skis. What would you do - plug them with wax? Tape over?

You need to insert some waterproof/flexible woodglue (I use Evostick, the one in the blue bottle) in to the old holes & then tap in a plastic binding hole plug. Then trim off the top of the plug flush to the topsheet with a chisel & wipe off the excess glue. If you PM me your address I'll post you some plugs.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
spyderjon, Brilliant offer, will be sure to PM you when the time comes!

Arno, Ski with toe piece locked!!? - even scarier! Wish i had that confidence. But i have seen people clip a short bit of line between their boot and the binding with some DIY attachment. Might be a good idea in a 40 degree couloir.
ski holidays
Resurrecting this old thread.
FOR Spyderjon mainly: dumb question: suppose I want to change between the Neox bindings and a Dynafit set on the same skis. I mean, take the skis , two sets of bindings and tools and switch the bindings if I go staight on from a hotshot downhill resort to a touring area, or vice versa. Can i leave the redundant screw holes just taped over or is that asking for trouble? Any sort of temporary removable plugs around? Blutak??!!!
latest report
dickyb, a little while back there was a plate made just for this puropse (dammed if i can remember who made it...but i am sure someone will remember it), it added a little weight to the set up but basically you mount one part on the ski and have 2 or3 of the top plate which you mount the binding on, a single screw allows remove of the binding plate and replacemnt with a different set up
snow conditions
CEM i think it's made by VIST? I'm sure spyderjon will confirm!

BTW how busy are you during oct as I'd like you to have a look at the boots you sold me last year - my right ankle seems to rub a bit and ends up hurting like hell after a few days on the slop.......
ski holidays
Vist did one, but there was another I think

Roger C, give me a call soon ish, most saturdays are fully booked already.... week days aren't too bad as yet, but i am away for a few days running courses and then at the Birmingham ski show at the end of october

sounds like it needs a bit more space, so either a sall stretch or a grind of the shell should solve the problem rapidly
ski holidays
dickyb - VIST definitely does an interchangeable plate system. The only problem is that the whole set up will be relatively expensive and won't do a great deal for the weight of the setup.
ski holidays
The VIST system is the speedlock plate and alpine bindings then you'd mount the Dynafits to a set of telemark interface plates that fit in the pin holes of the speed lock plates. vist do a super light plate to keep the weight down.
ski holidays
dickyb, the problem with interchanging bindings is that you really need metal to metal fittings as once you've screwed in & out of the ski a few times the core will loose it's 'bite' on the screws etc.

AFAIK there's no system available on the market that would allow you to interchange between a rail mounted binding (Neox) & flat mounted bindings (Dynafit). I could make a couple of 5mm aluminium plates that could be permanently mounted to the ski & would be drilled/tapped to accept both the Neox rail & the Dynafits. You would first need to check that the mounting holes for the two types of binding don't conflict as if you have to compromise on the fore/aft positioning of either binding by much then there's no point in proceeding.

I'd be pleased to do the work but if you add the cost of the materials, my time & probably a couple of trips for you from London I reckon it would be far easier to you just to buy a 2nd hand pair of Crimsons to mount the Dynafits on without the weight of the aluminium plate. Check-out these: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=54628 I know they're 169's but they're the right price & FlyingStantoni looks after his gear.
ski holidays
Jon. kiwi, thanks, good ideas, but extra Plates sound like a lot of hassle and extra weight. And I see its not a good idea to unscrew and re-screw into the core itself. So i guess I will drop the idea. Two sets of skis needed!

Jon, Very tempting to go for Flying's atomics but 169 would be a bit short for me. Hmmmm...
latest report
dickyb wrote:
.....Jon, Very tempting to go for Flying's atomics but 169 would be a bit short for me. Hmmmm...

At that price it would be worth a punt as they'd be a pretty light set-up & easy for kick turns.
latest report
wrong post
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy