Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Resort??

Poster: A snowHead
Linds and I are planning on hitting the slopes next weekend and we're presently searching for a good deal. Snowcoach have availability in three of their half board hotels:

Club Hotel L'Aigle in Valmeinier
Club Hotel Alpazur in Val Cenis
Club Hotel Terminus in St Gervais
Can anyone give any info, in particular on the resorts (in additon to the web sites), but also the hotels?

Cheers! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Michelle, there are two threads with recent postings on St Gervais: here and here. The second thread has a link provided by DG to an Independent article. As you'll see, most people are enthusiastic about the place. Your post implies you might be going just for a weekend: in which case its train link from Geneva Airport might be a distinct advantage. Enjoy you're trip, wherever you end up! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks laundryman for directing me to those. A weekend? No, we'll definatly be going for a week!! wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Michelle, family friends took my daughter on a Snowcoach holiday to St Gervais last year and she had a thoroughly good time. I think they stayed in that hotel, but I'm not sure. Nearby Chamonix and Megeve have such great skiing, so I think it beats the other two offers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David, we are actually going to fly with them rather than use the coach.
Val Cenis looks quite close to the Italian border (Mafia etc) and the snow is not so good there at the moment. It certainly looks easy to ski into Megeve from there also the hotel has a jacuzzi and a steam room Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
David Goldsmith, Is St. Gervais linked to Megeve, in terms of not getting your skis off? I know Chamonix isn't and seem to remember looking down at Megeve from the top of a lift at Les Contamines and thinking it would not take too much to link them up either, but I am not an engineer or a French land owner.

It's been many years since I skied the areas between Geneva and Chamonix and expect there have been many changes some of which could be considered improvements.

CP
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CP, Yes, in answer to your first question. If we have a day out in Chamonix (from Megève), e.g. for Vallée Blanche, we get the taxi to drop us in St. Gervais to save on the fare. It's two bubbles to the top of Mt d'Arbois followed by a long cruise to the Megève 'plateau' and (if the snow's ok) the dicey Calvaire run into the village.

There have been numerous plans to link Megève and Les Contamines. One was a funicular through the mountain from Côte 2000 to the point where you mention looking down into Megève. That was abandoned following the Austrian disaster. Then I heard talk of a series of low level links linking St. Nicholas de Veroce to Les Contamines. I think that would be dodgy at either end of the season. The latest I've heard is back to Plan A, but with a cable car from the Altiport up to the ridge. I even heard that work would start this summer, but I've heard those kind of noises for 10 years, so I'll believe it when I see it!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We've done it! Ended up booking Val Cenis Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Too late to give advice then!

We spent a week at the Club Hotel Alpazur with Snowcoach....excellent hotel, good food, friendly staff and great guided skiing. You'll have a fab time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

We spent a week at the Club Hotel Alpazur with Snowcoach....excellent hotel, good food, friendly staff and great guided skiing. You'll have a fab time.

Thats where we are staying Very Happy also has jaccuzi and sauna Very Happy But we are flying from Gatwick.
Do you think they can cope/put-up with Michelle and me?
Want to come with us? Laughing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Michelle, definately too late to give advice now!

But just to be nasty I think you've made a good choice skiing-wise with Val Cenis if you've only been on planks 2-3 weeks, and an pretty awful one if you've been happy bashing around red/black pistes for the past few seasons.

Both Val Cenis and Valmeinier are located in the same general vacinity as the mega Savoie networks, but neither Val C or Valmeinier link into any of them. Both Val C and Valmeinier have small piste networks (and Val Cenis is the smallest of the two) that don't link into any other resorts at all. Someone last season on the darkside said about Val C "a really good day here any longer would probably be boring for anyone intermediate or above". Although I imagine Snowcoach will arrange trips to neigbouring resorts like Val T, they're a bit of a hike.

Which is why on Saturday I'll be with Snowcoach in St Gervais bashing my way round the rather large Mt-Blanc network.

But you'll come back from Val C and tell stories of wonderful skiing that prove me wrong wink
Happy skiing! snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Val Cenis looks quite close to the Italian border (Mafia etc) and the snow is not so good there at the moment. It certainly looks easy to ski into Megeve from there also the hotel has a jacuzzi and a steam room
Eh? Multimap.com doesn't put either Val C nor Valmeinier close enough to the Italian boarder for that, and they're not where near close enough to Megeve (short of an hour or so's bus ride)?????? Or am I (or multimap) missing something?????
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Linds, take Scrabble with you. Michelle needs the practice... Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Manda, I think Linds must have been referring to St Gervais: to be honest, I'd never heard of the other two areas, and I like to think I know my way round the Mt. Blanc region!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, jeez I hope so - if not, people staying in Val C are going to be very dissapointed (re: proximity to Mafia & Italy)! But if I find either village on my rounds of Mt-Blanc I shall be sure to let you know wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Tue 1-02-05 18:43; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Quote:

Linds, take Scrabble with you. Michelle needs the practice...

Scrabble, It will get soggy in the jaccuzi Laughing

I was initialy refering to St Gervais but we have gone for Val C as the snow now isnt bad, reasonable price, good hotel and although there was a link to Megeve wasnt sure how easy it would be for Michelle to get over there. I dont think she would be too impressed if I started taking her down the blacks Shocked
snow report
Quote:

although there was a link to Megeve
We're talking about St Gervais, right? (Not Val C). On the piste map the link from St G to Megeve looks bog easy (laundryman, ice et al please confirm/disprove). In any case I'll let you know next week! Cool
ski holidays
Manda, Yes talking about St Gervais. Let us know about the link may be a possibility for another trip snowHead
latest report
bloody hell, you all suck the spontaneity out of your ski trips don't you ? Yes, it's a blue or green or something down into Megeve, you can use the cable car if you really want.

I leave the house in the morning not even knowing which station I'm going to half the time, you lot have the GPS coordinates for the ATM's rolling eyes
snow report
Linds, the link's really easy as it happens, unless you want to ski into the village itself. Even that's rated at blue, though I think (unusually for Megève) it's seriously under-classified, especially as conditions there are often dodgy. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun in Val C. Enjoy! snowHead
snow report
ise, you betcha. I have nothing better to do with my day. But I'm still working on the ATM GPS. Does anyone have a link to the relevant site?
snow conditions
laundryman wrote:
Linds, the link's really easy as it happens, unless you want to ski into the village itself. Even that's rated at blue, though I think (unusually for Megève) it's seriously under-classified, especially as conditions there are often dodgy. Anyway, I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun in Val C. Enjoy! snowHead

I think they want way more detail than that Very Happy How about that small rock that sticks out just to the left of the third three past the small hut on the left side as you get into Megeve? Which door do we think it's quickest to walk into for the lift? I always go for the second door from the left but the third turnstile.
snow report
ise, believe me, I could write it! wink
snow report
ise. Would you mind if we went to the left of the rock and took the second turnstile? Three isn’t my lucky number… Darn it, we’re not going to be anywhere near Megeve.

Speaking for myself as a fairly new skier, who hasn’t had the years of experience on the slopes as your good self, I use this site for information. Picking sH's brains, rather than relying on what the tour op's say. Certainly, since snowHeads began, my knowledge of all aspects of skiing and the slopes has improved immensely.

Quote:
I leave the house in the morning not even knowing which station I'm going to half the time

Lucky you. I still want to make sure that the places I go don’t scare me too much. That they aren’t beyond my ability. That’s where you lot come in.

Thanks for your advice. wink
ski holidays
Manda wrote:
Michelle, But just to be nasty I think you've made a good choice skiing-wise with Val Cenis if you've only been on planks 2-3 weeks, and an pretty awful one if you've been happy bashing around red/black pistes for the past few seasons.

Manda, I'll be alright, then Laughing Laughing
Hope you have a great time too!

Fox: NehNeh
snow report
Michelle wrote:

Lucky you. I still want to make sure that the places I go don’t scare me too much. That they aren’t beyond my ability. That’s where you lot come in.

Thanks for your advice. wink

My advice is relax, chill out and take it as it comes Very Happy Surely part of the point of travel in general is discovery and seeing something new? Sometimes not knowing much about where you're going is the point. As a rule of thumb, if SnowCoach, Crystal etc go somewhere it's not going to be hardcore.

Another rule thumb, or correction to apply when getting information from other English people, would be to interpret intermediate as "likes to ski a lot of blue and red runs and cover loads of distance" and experts as "likes to ski a lot of blue and red runs and cover loads of distance and do a couple of black runs".
snow conditions
Quote:
My advice is relax, chill out and take it as it comes Very Happy

Laughing You haven't seen me ski Laughing

It's not that long ago that I was a quivering wreck at the top of... Milton Keynes.
All of the helpful and good-humoured advice that was given would not help to calm... In fact, I vividly remember Gregory disappearing past on a regular basis bless him , saying: “I’m on my 14…26….34th run now Michelle! Have you been yet?”

Thankfully, due to lots of perseverance and help from other snowHeads, I can now happily ski from the top of MK without having to put a turn in, in the first 5mm. Cool

Quote:
As a rule of thumb, if SnowCoach, Crystal etc go somewhere it's not going to be hardcore.

What is hardcore? It’s all relative. Last season, I thought the nursery slopes at Soldeau were very steep. I am mightily impressed with myself that I was able to ski a red at Val d’Isere at Christmas. Very ungainly - but I did it. Had I had gone to Val D last season, the gradient off the top of the nursery slope would have scared me rigid!

Quote:
Surely part of the point of travel in general is discovery and seeing something new? Sometimes not knowing much about where you're going is the point.

I totally agree with you ise! But at this moment, I want not to be pushed too far beyond my abilities. I think you might have gathered that I lack confidence. As a matter of interest, how were you when you started? It’s very difficult for those that have never felt the fear to understand it.

Quote:
Another rule thumb, or correction to apply when getting information from other English people, would be to interpret intermediate as "likes to ski a lot of blue and red runs and cover loads of distance" and experts as "likes to ski a lot of blue and red runs and cover loads of distance and do a couple of black runs".

That makes me a beginner and Linds an expert, then… Laughing rolling eyes
latest report
Linds wrote:

You and Michelle will fit right in....and yes I'd love to come, if only I wasn't already booked up to go on 19th Very Happy

And don't worry about not having enough to do in Val C....with the Snowcoach service you can venture to lots of other places, even to Val Thorens (via Orelle which is only an hours drive down the hill). There are a couple of easy blacks for Michelle to try wink ...and some nice itineraries too, there shouldn't be anything there to trigger off the panic!

Enjoy!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It was brilliant - can't recommend snowcoach enough! The hotel was great, the facilities superb, the staff excellent and the fellow guests weren't too bad either Laughing Laughing (We hope to have a few converts joining us - a lot of plugging was done snowHead )
The skiing was amazing (sorry to disappoint Manda! wink ) and really helped with boosting my confidence Cool
snow report
Michelle, how do they get those coaches to fly?
latest report
Well Jonpim, it was like this... only the coaches seem to have been mislaid Shocked
ski holidays
Is Val cenis good for absolute beginner? went to Valmenier and nearly killed myself

Just want some good fun on easy slopes to get confidence up?

Cheers

Linds wrote:
Quote:

Thats where we are staying Very Happy also has jaccuzi and sauna Very Happy But we are flying from Gatwick.
snow report
k11ngy, Did you nearly kill yourself because you didn't take lessons? Val Cenis is a great place for all levels and you will most certainly build your confidence up there. If you have had lessons, then maybe have a couple of hours of one-to-one lessons to get you going again. If you haven't taken any lessons, then definately have some, otherwise you are going to continue to risk yours and everyone elses lives!! wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 10-12-08 14:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
k11ngy,
Yes it is................I believe it has the longest green run in the alps @ around 12 or 13km...........its a killer on the legs if you are still in plough mode'.
Not sure about the esf lessons though as they were basically follow the leader & our gropup was slow in progressing after day 3 as there were a couple of people who were really struggling with it, so ended up not really bothering on day 5 & 6.
VC is also supprisingly good value ( evenn dare I say , cheap ), which was a pleasant supprise.
Also, can vouch for snowcoach at VC, very good outfit although not sure I would agree with grading of Hotel as it did seem a bit 'tired' ( still okay though).
Cheers
Mitch
snow report
Wow, revived after 3 years and 10 months as near as damn it; kinda leaves Lazarus in the shade, doesn't it? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
johnnyboy, Laughing Laughing

They're (Michelle et Linds) probably still trying to shrug off the hangover..... Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy