Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Preview skiing' for Australasia's new winter

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Skiable snow has come at least a month early in parts of Australia and New Zealand this year. Mount Buller in Australia received sufficiently deep cover in recent days and Mount Hutt on the south island of New Zealand opened up for the weekend with a reported 45cm base (more likely not a base but new snow). Their scheduled opening date is not until 13 June.

This report and photos from SnowCo.nz.

The irony is that big areas of the Alps still have much more impressive high-altitude snow than this, but the lifts are in hibernation until next December. Some parts of Switzerland have over 3m of snow. Enthusiasm is always greater in the anticipation period of a season than the closing stages of it, though (in my experience) the very best skiing experiences - and, of course, weather - can be seized in late April/early May.

In contrast, cutting first tracks on 'preview snow' can be risky, since there's often a lack of real base and lots of nasties just under the surface!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Did actually go up to Buller for a ski and laugh on Sunday. Beautiful weather. Nobody taking it seriously, but plenty of people enjoying the experience. We only skied until lunchtime, by which time the snow was consistency of a slurpee and pretty thin in a lot of places, but hey that gave us the excuse to have a nice long lunch and a quiet drive home.

I hear what you are saying about the snow in the Alps - there is more up there now, than Australian resorts are likely to get all winter.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy