Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Storage

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hiya

I know its probably been asked a million times before and I'm sorry but what is the best way to store skis for the summer ??
I have just bought my first pair and don't want to ruin them before next season

They will be getting outings at hemel probably on a monthly basis and definately at my first bash on the 6th June ..... but have looked it up on the net and there is much conflicting advice..... don't store them with the brakes locked, store them with the brakes locked, don't use ski straps, do use ski staps on tips and tails etc etc

What is the normal consensus of opinion ??

At the moment they are in the spare bedroom, standing vertical in the corner on their tails with a velcro strap half way up to the tips ..... oh and do I have to slacken the DIN setting ???

Sorry for being a pain in the you know what .... Embarassed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bobblehat wrote:
.....I know its probably been asked a million times before and I'm sorry but what is the best way to store skis for the summer ??....

That's why there's a search function.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh alright then. Ditch the velcro strap & do as you're doing. No need to reduce DIN setting.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
he he ... I know theres a search function but tbh been enjoying the bank holiday spirit a little too much Smile

And thank you I will go and take the strap off now Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Spare bedroom sounds good to me. I leave mine flat on the floor, but only to avoid them getting knocked over! The biggest worry over the summer is rusty edges, but they should be fine in the house.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
uktrailmonster, Wipe them over with zardoz, it inhibits the rust.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beequin, Cheers, yes I do that too. But that would be more important if storing in a potentially damp place, like a shed or garage.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
uktrailmonster, Yes, sorry I should have directed that to the irritating OP.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Main thing is to wax them before you store them. With layer of wax your base will stay good, and you don't need to worry about edges getting rusty since there will be wax covering them. Of course I don't need to mention, that you don't scrape wax off Smile
As for position it really doesn't matter. I have been storing them both way, vertical or horizontal, and never had problems (with racing skis being slower even for 1% then before it means whole lot of problems). Also setting bindings to lower DIN doesn't play any role. Ski straps... sure why not, you won't damage skis with ski straps.
So once again... pretty much only, and definitely most important thing is proper transportation/storage wax.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
primoz, Would not have thought there was a need for storage wax if they are being used once a month at Hemel, just put some Datawax Polar X on now. Use, then wipe dry and apply zardoz after each outing as prep for next time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi all

Many thanks for your responses.

The skis have just been serviced so I am assuming that I don't need to wax them anymore especially as I will be using them at hemel.... other than zardoz after each use Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Ski straps... sure why not, you won't damage skis with ski straps.

I think the issue with ski straps is that you can be storing the ski in its non natural position. Most skis have camber, lay'em base to base and there will be a gap in the middle. Strap em up tight round the middle and store them can distort the shape permenantly, they will not be the same ski next season Shocked .
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RPF wrote:
Strap em up tight round the middle and store them can distort the shape permenantly, they will not be the same ski next season.

I was talking about normal use of ski straps. Who would be strapping skis around middle anyway... for storage or just for 30mins transportation?

beequin wrote:
Would not have thought there was a need for storage wax if they are being used once a month at Hemel

Ok for recreational skier this is probably true. I'm on the other side coming from racing (including being serviceman for our World Cup team), and I have different way of thinking, when it comes to ski preparation and maintainance. Smile With us, we had transportation wax put on for every ski transport, and even if skis were standing in corner just for few days, they always had transportation wax on. But I actually agree with you... for normal people and normal recreational usage, storage/transportation wax is probably not necessary, even though it still won't hurt Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I was talking about normal use of ski straps. Who would be strapping skis around middle anyway... for storage or just for 30mins transportation?

primoz, Theres a lot of sick people out there! NehNeh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy