Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems with Glasses (and Helmet)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I've just recently gone back to skiing after a 30 year break, and have been blessed with 3 consecutive trips of nice, sunny weather. However, on my last trip I had 5 days of light snowfall and bad visibility and really struggled to see (never mind ski Laughing )

I have recently given up contact lenses and gone back to glasses. When it's sunny, I have prescription sunglasses which work fine. However, for bad weather I bought some goggles specifically for use with glasses, and to put it mildly, they were useless. Both my glasses and the goggles steamed up constantly, making it practically impossible to see. Furthermore, I decided to start wearing a helmet, and I don't know if the rental helmet was just too small, but I really suffered from the pressure that the helmet put on the side of the glasses, and in turn on the side of my head.

How do other people cope? I'd really like not to go back to contact lenses. Thanks

PS - I managed to lose my goggles anyway, so am going to need something new Cool
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GabyW, No doubt lots of people will post actual advice on this thread, but really it is well worth a forum search (see top left of screen), there is a huge amount of data that has already been posted and all sorts of ideas and solutions in the forum. I find specs and goggles a real pain so am always on the look out for solutions myself. Welcome to Snowheads BTW
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GabyW, welcome to snowHead snowHead

I wear goggles and glasses all the time (occasionally with a helmet).Moving quickly helps stop misting in bad weather and if you stop e.g. in lifts move the goggles away from your face. Sometimes it gets really bad and I just end up taking off the glasses (my sight isn't too bad) but this is pretty rare. Never had that problem with pressure on the sides with the helmet, if you're thinking about getting your own get it before replacement goggles and obviously wear the glases when trying it on, then take it when buying goggles too.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
GabyW, welcome to snowheads. I have had vision inserts made, which clip inside the goggles (and can go in any goggles). They weren't expensive - around 25 euros I think. I wear varifocals but just had the distance vision on the inserts (so if I need to read a menu at lunchtime, I take my specs in a pocket). The goggles and inserts have worked really well. They only very occasionally steam up slightly - normally if it's rather warm - just holding them away from the face, as Swirly says, for a few minutes works fine. I tried on masses of pairs of supposedly "over the glasses" goggles and none of them worked. Wearing goggles with a helmet has the advantage that you can just sit them up on top of the helmet - whereas if you sit them on your head, or a hat, they steam up. My OH often wears a helmet and glasses - he searched for a helmet which worked OK with his specs but he finds contact lenses and goggles preferable. I can't wear contacts, so that wasn't a solution for me.

Some people will assure you that you need £120 goggles but that's not my experience. I did search for ones which were comfortable on my face and fitted the shape of the helmet, and they were around 35 euros. I would have been prepared to pay more, but those were the ones which fitted best and I skied in them for around 14 weeks this season with no problem at all, in all weathers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w are they like "pinc-nez" a clinet who is an optician used them thsi season and they seemed to work quite well..
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Anti-fog spray plus inserts is a good combination.

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-753514-082-Anti-Fog-Goggle-Spray/dp/B00070QENK?tag=amz07b-21

There are cheaper options than the Adidas Yodai but I have found this to be a remarkably resilient goggle + insert combo. Mine are several seasons old now and, while a little rough around the edges have survived head-first crashes that I suspect would have done for my reserve pair.

I know it is obvious but do not allow the inside of the goggle to become wet at any point. Sticking them on the helmet in light snowfall is the classic error - especially if it is a little warm. Also, if you are buying a helmet then check to see how/whether the fit of the helmet with the goggles impedes the way the goggles vent.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wear a Giro G10, with Bolle Reactive Vermillion lenses over my reactolite glasses. Great combo, never fogs, comfortable. Would recomend. Secret if to Keep the goggles clean, never touch them and dont clean them as it takes off the antifog
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48427#1146207

All sorts of stuff in that thread
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A ski instructor friend told me to spit in my sun glasses/goggles & then polish. to stop them steaming up. Works for me when I think of it Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
genepi, Anything like that will break the surface tension of the water droplets that are forming to make the fog and will work. My favourite option is the apply fairy liquid and then polish Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Maybe spit would work, as in diving goggles. Never tried it, because my 35 euro goggles don't fog unless I'm exceptionally hot and working hard, in which case 30 seconds of air does the trick. I agree with advice not to fiddle and faff with them - some people just can't leave them alone.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, a good spit works wonders - learnt that diving and it works skiing too. Another trick is to rub a cut potato over the lens.

Note that most goggles have an anti-fog coating on the inside that is damaged/destroyed by rubbing it to clean - when I bought my latest pair the sales assistant told me very clearly to dab only, never to rub. I'd not been aware of that before.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
with OTG's you will always get a bit of fogging when you stop, I wear a helmet and OTG's once you get moving they clear ( never had them fog up on a chair lift), after years of getting annoyed at getting steamed up, I got the wallet out and bought a some decent ones, Jublo, and don't really have a problem, now i always ski wearing goggles. I was told when i bought them that I should never put them up on my fore head and if I ski without a helmet to never put them on my woolly hat, the woman in the shop was most instant on this point.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Thu 7-05-09 7:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most on-the-hill shops have anti-fog cloths for sale for a few €'s i've used them on my glasses, goggles and camera lenses and they usually do the trick if you keep the snow off them. Also try to facing into the wind when stationary - slows or stops you fogging up...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks everyone! Loads to think about.

pam w, Where did you get your vision inserts made? This sounds like a good option to me...
snow report
GabyW wrote:
Both my glasses and the goggles steamed up constantly, making it practically impossible to see.

Ive never skied with glasses, but, if your goggles are misting up, something's wrong. You shouldn't need anti-fog spray or to spit in them, but you might need to change your usage pattern. Here are some tips:

You need to make sure that your googles are double glazed - it's been a long time since I saw any single glazed goggles, but it's worth checking.

You need to check the ventilation slot at the top of the goggles. If there's snow in it (do you wipe out a lot?) or if it's blocked by clothing, a long fringe (I had one once, too) or a tight-fitting helmet, misting is inevitable. Clear it.

Keep cool to reduce sweating. Unzip your coat while you ski.

Never raise your goggles onto your forehead - the sweat will cause misting. If you don't want to wear them, raise them onto your helmet.

Raise your goggles whenever you're on a gondola, cable car or indoors.

Don't let snow get inside the goggles. If it's snowing, be careful to keep your goggles with the outside lens facing up if you take them off.

When I first used goggles, I had terrible problems with misting. By following these tips, my goggles never mist up - and they're the cheapest pair I could buy.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy