Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French opponent of artificial snowmaking claims "... they want to get rid of me"

Poster: A snowHead
Winterhighland wrote:
Seany wrote:
BCjohnny wrote:
Seany, See here's the thing that puzzles me.............................

1) Mans production of CO2 is causing global warming. Mans production of CO2 has gone up in a fairly linear fashion for the last decade or so.

2) It is grudgingly accepted Earths temperature since at least 2000 has not increased at all, in fact has probably decreased slightly.

How do you reconcile these two "facts".

Don't ask me to support this argument, it'll clog up the thread completely. Go Google. But do yourself a favour. Open your eyes.

The science has not been done, and it's far from conclusive. So if you believe in your new "religion", fine, just don't try to force it on others.

John.

I don't reconcile the 2 'facts' because 1) is barely a fact and 2) isn't.

So you aren't going to p[rovide any evidence for your position because it wil 'clog up the thread'? Really? How about you suggest some specific search terms then? Climate science is a big discipline and if I go off on a google hunt how can I be sure what I'm reading isn't the work of cranks, nutters, lobbyists and the uninformed?

As I've stated before:

1) There is a consensus about the science. If you think there isn't show me the credible climate scientists who disagree.
2) I don't take anything on faith so it's not a religious position. If your credible climate scientists from 1) have some good evidence to disporive the AGW hypothesis then show it to me. One. single. piece. of. peer. reviewed. evidence.

The Hadley Decadal trend is flat and contrary to what the Met Office confidently predicted in their forecast for 2007, global temperature did not reach the level of 1998. So, point 2 is fact.

However it has no bearing on comment 1, because AGW is not, never has been and never will be the only show in town. Climate is always changing and whatever underlying trend may occur due to increasing CO2 concentrations does not stop natural cycles and natural variability.

Thus it was imo extremely short sighted, if not damaging and downright stupid to have engaged in AGW scaremongering and predictions of always getting warmer. The reality was always going to be different because of climate variability and immense damage has been done to the credibility of climate science in the public eyes, that is hugely destructive to the cause of dealing with the problem.

in a crude way the way that global warming/climate change is being treated is similiar to how house prices were reported and trended.
basically there is only one way.
if you build a model to prove something i'm sure that you will succeed. Freeman Dyson has said the big issue with the debate is that there is no debate, as suggested by seany.

my impression is there is a lot of potentially sub prime science out there
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not sure why someone at the start of this thread assumed that the Carmen de Jong's objection to snowmaking was something to do with global warming. Whatever the reason it has resulted in a thread that has nothing much to do with her views.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowball, you're absolutely right. The key issue may be the academic freedom of Carmen de Jong to undertake her research in good faith.

The Sunday Times journalist appears to have tried to get a response to her complaints from the university (see last line of report) but wasn't successful. Universities (as least in the UK) operate only one step removed from the business world and this may affect their independence. We have to be careful.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
tuxpoo wrote:
Google "interglacial state".

If you;ve got some good evidence why don't you just link to it?

tuxpoo wrote:
from IPCCs own homepage ...

"The IPCC does not conduct any research nor does it monitor climate related data or parameters. Its role is to assess on a comprehensive, objective, open and transparent basis the latest scientific, technical and socio-economic literature produced worldwide relevant to the understanding of the risk of human-induced climate change, its observed and projected impacts and options for adaptation and mitigation."

Tux

With reference to the IPCC, you said
Quote:
I'm sure you know they are not scientists or climatolagists or even "weather men".

I then referred you to their website which says:

Quote:
The IPCC is a scientific intergovernmental body set up by the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). Its constituency is made of :

The governments: the IPCC is open to all member countries of WMO and UNEP. Governments of participate in plenary Sessions of the IPCC where main decisions about the IPCC workprogramme are taken and reports are accepted, adopted and approved. They also participate the review of IPCC Reports.
The scientists: hundreds of scientists all over the world contribute to the work of the IPCC as authors, contributors and reviewers.
The people: as United Nations body, the IPCC work aims at the promotion of the United Nations human development goals

So you were wrong. It's a scientific body comprising hundreds of scientists set up to review the state of the research. What's your problem with that?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mugen wrote:
if you build a model to prove something i'm sure that you will succeed. Freeman Dyson has said the big issue with the debate is that there is no debate, as suggested by seany.

What's your impression based on though? What specific problems do you have with the research?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BCjohnny wrote:
Number one is "barely a fact"? It's a core argument for MMGW..

But the way it was expressed wasn't very accurate, it;s a bit more complicated than that.

BCjohnny wrote:
Number two "isn't" a fact? Are you really serious?

Yes. So are the Met Office:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2008/pr20081216.html

"The ten warmest years on record have occurred since 1997. Global temperatures for 2000-2008 now stand almost 0.2 °C warmer than the average for the decade 1990–1999."

What problem do you have with their data?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Seany wrote:
mugen wrote:

What's your impression based on though? What specific problems do you have with the research?

it's not a problem with the research, beyond the fact that 50 years or less is not a significant time frame to judge anything with regards to climate.
but the attitude that it's all over bar the shouting and anyone who disagrees is an idiot, crank or clown.. for me that attitude is dangerous and starts to be far less about fact and more about belief.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Winterhighland wrote:
The Hadley Decadal trend is flat and contrary to what the Met Office confidently predicted in their forecast for 2007, global temperature did not reach the level of 1998. So, point 2 is fact.

Have you got a link for the prediction? in any event, just because a specific prediction hasn't been borne out it doesn't invalidate a long term trend. As the Met Office and Nasa state:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/myths/2.html

Quote:
The rise in global surface temperature has averaged more than 0.15 °C per decade since the mid-1970s. Warming has been unprecedented in at least the last 50 years, and the 17 warmest years have all occurred in the last 20 years. This does not mean that next year will necessarily be warmer than last year, but the long-term trend is for rising temperatures.

A simple mathematical calculation of the temperature change over the latest decade (1998-2007) alone shows a continued warming of 0.1 °C per decade. [...] The recent slight slowing of the warming is due to a shift towards more-frequent La Niña conditions in the Pacific since 1998. These bring cool water up from the depths of the Pacific Ocean, cooling global temperatures.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2007/

Quote:
"Global warming stopped in 1998," has become a recent mantra of those who wish to deny the reality of human-caused global warming. The continued rapid increase of the five-year running mean temperature exposes this assertion as nonsense. In reality, global temperature jumped two standard deviations above the trend line in 1998 because the "El Niño of the century" coincided with the calendar year, but there has been no lessening of the underlying warming trend.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2008/

Quote:
Calendar year 2008 was the coolest year since 2000, according to the Goddard Institute for Space Studies analysis [see ref. 1] of surface air temperature measurements. In our analysis, 2008 is the ninth warmest year in the period of instrumental measurements, which extends back to 1880 (left panel of Fig. 1). The ten warmest years all occur within the 12-year period 1997-2008. The two-standard-deviation (95% confidence) uncertainty in comparing recent years is estimated as 0.05°C [ref. 2], so we can only conclude with confidence that 2008 was somewhere within the range from 7th to 10th warmest year in the record.

So what problem do you have with these summaries?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mugen wrote:
it's not a problem with the research, beyond the fact that 50 years or less is not a significant time frame to judge anything with regards to climate..

Erm, why? Do you really think that there isn't a good understanding of what is happening and why? Do you think that the modelling is being used to see whether AGW will happen at some point in future?

mugen wrote:
but the attitude that it's all over bar the shouting and anyone who disagrees is an idiot, crank or clown.. for me that attitude is dangerous and starts to be far less about fact and more about belief.

Well argue some science then.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Seany wrote:
mugen wrote:
it's not a problem with the research, beyond the fact that 50 years or less is not a significant time frame to judge anything with regards to climate..

Erm, why? Do you really think that there isn't a good understanding of what is happening and why? Do you think that the modelling is being used to see whether AGW will happen at some point in future?

mugen wrote:

Well argue some science then.

ok you seem stuck in a loop..
incidentaly would you ever fly ryanair?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mugen wrote:
ok you seem stuck in a loop..incidentaly would you ever fly ryanair?

So you're not going to argue any science then? Fair enough.

I fly Ryanair all the time. Probably 12 flights in the last 2 years.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seany wrote:
mugen wrote:
ok you seem stuck in a loop..incidentaly would you ever fly ryanair?

So you're not going to argue any science then? Fair enough.

I fly Ryanair all the time. Probably 12 flights in the last 2 years.

hmmm

your totally missing the point, how can you argue science when you believe there is no discussion to be had.. that is a belief system
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
mugen wrote:
how can you argue science when you believe there is no discussion to be had.. that is a belief system
No it's not. His belief is that you'll not be able to come up with an anti-AGW argument that cannot be refuted by means of peer-reviewed scientific data. Whether or not he believes you are wrong is irrelevant to the argument, it is that you appear to have no arguments that stand up to scrutiny.

It's also interesting that the anti-AGW lobby recently jumped on the report of low sunspot activity - claiming we're about to enter another iceage. Since the sunspot activity goes through an 11-year cycle, and we're currently at the bottom of the lowest minimum for about 100 years a) temperatures should have been nosediving over the last 5 years (by that argument) and it would appear (from the paper cited above) that the best that can be said is that they have been holding steady, despite a colder 2008, and b) we should be currently having the coldest decade for the last century, rather than the hottest. So there's a prima facie case that the lower sunspot activity is masking the effect of AGW and, if/when the solar pattern starts returning to normal, we're actually in a worse state than even the mainstream is saying.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
GrahamN wrote:
mugen wrote:
how can you argue science when you believe there is no discussion to be had.. that is a belief system
No it's not. His belief is that you'll not be able to come up with an anti-AGW argument that cannot be refuted by means of peer-reviewed scientific data. Whether or not he believes you are wrong is irrelevant to the argument, it is that you appear to have no arguments that stand up to scrutiny.

It's also interesting that the anti-AGW lobby recently jumped on the report of low sunspot activity - claiming we're about to enter another iceage. Since the sunspot activity goes through an 11-year cycle, and we're currently at the bottom of the lowest minimum for about 100 years a) temperatures should have been nosediving over the last 5 years (by that argument) and it would appear (from the paper cited above) that the best that can be said is that they have been holding steady, despite a colder 2008, and b) we should be currently having the coldest decade for the last century, rather than the hottest. So there's a prima facie case that the lower sunspot activity is masking the effect of AGW and, if/when the solar pattern starts returning to normal, we're actually in a worse state than even the mainstream is saying.

i dont have access to reams of data or the ability to propely interpret it. but i do think that once someone tells me that there is no discussion to be had that at that point there is a great need for discussion.

also can't abide people that talk the talk and dont walk the walk
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
mugen wrote:
i dont have access to reams of data or the ability to propely interpret it. but i do think that once someone tells me that there is no discussion to be had that at that point there is a great need for discussion.

What I actually said was:

Quote:
Well, why would there need to be a debate about the science? Nobody feels the need to have a debate about the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (except for free energy cranks) or evolution (excepts for creationists). The science has been done and it's conclusive. None of the so-called sceptics have been able to provide any good scientific arguments to support their anti-AGW stance and it's hardly surprising, the whole movement is made up of clowns like Monckton and non-experts like David Bellamy.

Which is different to what you are suggesting. Show me some evidence then let's 'debate'. If you haven't got any then there is no discussion to be had.

mugen wrote:

Do you see the irony of this statement? You are arguing against AGW without understanding the science. Talking the talk..
latest report
mugen, the most erudite sceptic sH on 'global warming was probably laundryman - one of his last offerings on the subject here. I doubt that his views have changed much - I suspect he just got bored with those who relied on the IPCC 'consensus' as being sufficient - and anybody who disagreed with the IPCC being a 'usual suspect'.

I think this thread is a bit tedious, too, however - it just goes over old arguments as though they were new. Rather a shame that it has drifted from the original post's point about an alpine community suppressing a dissenting voice.
snow report
achilles wrote:
mugen, the most erudite sceptic sH on 'global warming was probably laundryman - one of his last offerings on the subject here. I doubt that his views have changed much - I suspect he just got bored with those who relied on the IPCC 'consensus' as being sufficient - and anybody who disagreed with the IPCC being a 'usual suspect'.

Yeah, you'll have to forgive me for going to the scientists for my science, rather than some bloke off the internet.
snow report
achilles wrote:
I think this thread is a bit tedious, too, however - it just goes over old arguments as though they were new. Rather a shame that it has drifted from the original post's point about an alpine community suppressing a dissenting voice.

Well for that I apologise, but I've got SIWOTI syndrome. And Mugen started it Miss.

And since when has going over old ground been a problem round here?

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 5-05-09 21:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Seany, wink Very Happy

I think you'll find that laundryman has a rather good scientific education.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Seany, wink Very Happy

I think you'll find that laundryman has a rather good scientific education.

I'd guess Freeman Dyson has a rather better one but it doesn't mean he's right.
snow conditions
Seany wrote:
mugen wrote:

What I actually said was:

Quote:
Well, why would there need to be a debate about the science? Nobody feels the need to have a debate about the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics (except for free energy cranks) or evolution (excepts for creationists). The science has been done and it's conclusive. None of the so-called sceptics have been able to provide any good scientific arguments to support their anti-AGW stance and it's hardly surprising, the whole movement is made up of clowns like Monckton and non-experts like David Bellamy.

Which is different to what you are suggesting. Show me some evidence then let's 'debate'. If you haven't got any then there is no discussion to be had.

mugen wrote:

Do you see the irony of this statement? You are arguing against AGW without understanding the science. Talking the talk..

you are suggesting there is no further science to do, it's all over.. this i find sinister if it is throughout the scientific community.
that said you have not advanced anything with regard to your own qualifications, merely that you can read things from t'internet
snow conditions
mugen wrote:
you are suggesting there is no further science to do, it's all over.. this i find sinister if it is throughout the scientific community.
that said you have not advanced anything with regard to your own qualifications, merely that you can read things from t'internet

I'm saying that the relevant science has been done and the results are in. Why do you find it sinister? It's how science works. We're not repeating Newton's experiments or Boyle's or Curie's - because they've been done already.

If you think the science done so far is wrong you have to argue the science. On science's terms. One. peer.reviewed. paper.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 5-05-09 21:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Seany wrote:
mugen wrote:

I'm saying that the relevant science has been done and the results are in. Why do you find it sinister? It's how science works. We're not repeating Newton's experiments or Boyle's or Curie's - because they've been done already.

whats your background.
also why is it only clowns that say gw isn't happening.
ski holidays
Seany wrote:
......I'd guess Freeman Dyson has a rather better one

I'd bet on that!

Quote:
but it doesn't mean he's right.

Or wrong.

However, getting back to the original post, I am concerned that de Jong's voice is being so vigorously suppressed. I have tended to the view that the local people know best how to look after their mountains - but I am not so sure that that is so if discussion is suppressed.
snow report
mugen wrote:
whats your background.

What's my background got to do with anything? Do you know what an ad hominem argument is?

I didn't say that only clowns say that gw isn't happening. I think (from memory) that I called Monckton, Booker & Lawson clowns. They are. They couldn't be more clownish if they had collapsible cars.
ski holidays
Seany wrote:
mugen wrote:
whats your background.

What's my background got to do with anything? Do you know what an ad hominem argument is?

looked it up on wikipedia actually

I didn't say that only clowns say that gw isn't happening. I think (from memory) that I called Monckton, Booker & Lawson clowns. They are. They couldn't be more clownish if they had collapsible cars.

back that satatement up
snow conditions
mugen wrote:
back that satatement up

This demand for evidence is a bit ironic since I've been asking you to do the same thing for 3 long pages without any joy.

Just look at Booker's long history with asbestos to see what a complete joker he is. He should be throwing buckets of glitter over audiences, not being paid to write about science in the national press.

Roll up, roll up, all the thrill of the big top as Coco Monckton makes real scientists laugh with disbelief.
ski holidays
Seany, tut tut. If you must continue this tangential debate, please don't bolster your argument by relying on a reference considered dodgy by the reference itself.

Quote:
This article or section has multiple issues. Please help improve the article or discuss these issues on the talk page.

* Its neutrality is disputed. Tagged since January 2009.
* Its factual accuracy is disputed. Tagged since January 2009.

Did you submit the Wikipedia page?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
Seany, tut tut. If you must continue this tangential debate, please don't bolster your argument by relying on a reference considered dodgy by the reference itself.

Quote:
This article or section has multiple issues. Please help improve the article or discuss these issues on the talk page.

* Its neutrality is disputed. Tagged since January 2009.
* Its factual accuracy is disputed. Tagged since January 2009.

Did you submit the Wikipedia page?

Do I have to explain how a wiki works?

How about just going straight into the primary sources then:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/record/st151205.htm
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/record/st060806.htm
http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/record/tel250508.htm

I hope he changes out of those big shoes when he's driving.
snow report
Seany wrote:

I do not know. Do you have a compulsion to do so? You do seem to have a compulsion to keep off topic.
latest report
achilles wrote:
Seany wrote:

I do not know. Do you have a compulsion to do so? You do seem to have a compulsion to keep off topic.

Whatevs. Booker's a clown. Unless you happen to think that he's got a compelling case for his asbestos nuttery.
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:
Seany, See here's the thing that puzzles me.............................

1) Mans production of CO2 is causing global warming. Mans production of CO2 has gone up in a fairly linear fashion for the last decade or so.

2) It is grudgingly accepted Earths temperature since at least 2000 has not increased at all, in fact has probably decreased slightly.

How do you reconcile these two "facts".

The surface temperature may have fallen, but that only reflects what's happening to the very thin layer where air meets the land and sea. The oceans have soaked up more heat energy than normal, causing the surface air temperatures to fall - far more heat is stored in the oceans than in the air.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn14527-climate-myths-global-warming-stopped-in-1998.html?full=true
ski holidays
Seany wrote:
Winterhighland wrote:

Have you got a link for the prediction? in any event, just because a specific prediction hasn't been borne out it doesn't invalidate a long term trend. As the Met Office and Nasa state:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/myths/2.html

Quote:
The rise in global surface temperature has averaged more than 0.15 °C per decade since the mid-1970s. Warming has been unprecedented in at least the last 50 years, and the 17 warmest years have all occurred in the last 20 years. This does not mean that next year will necessarily be warmer than last year, but the long-term trend is for rising temperatures.

A simple mathematical calculation of the temperature change over the latest decade (1998-2007) alone shows a continued warming of 0.1 °C per decade. [...] The recent slight slowing of the warming is due to a shift towards more-frequent La Niña conditions in the Pacific since 1998. These bring cool water up from the depths of the Pacific Ocean, cooling global temperatures.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2007/

Quote:
"Global warming stopped in 1998," has become a recent mantra of those who wish to deny the reality of human-caused global warming. The continued rapid increase of the five-year running mean temperature exposes this assertion as nonsense. In reality, global temperature jumped two standard deviations above the trend line in 1998 because the "El Niño of the century" coincided with the calendar year, but there has been no lessening of the underlying warming trend.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/2008/

Quote:
Calendar year 2008 was the coolest year since 2000, according to the Goddard Institute for Space Studies analysis [see ref. 1] of surface air temperature measurements. In our analysis, 2008 is the ninth warmest year in the period of instrumental measurements, which extends back to 1880 (left panel of Fig. 1). The ten warmest years all occur within the 12-year period 1997-2008. The two-standard-deviation (95% confidence) uncertainty in comparing recent years is estimated as 0.05°C [ref. 2], so we can only conclude with confidence that 2008 was somewhere within the range from 7th to 10th warmest year in the record.

So what problem do you have with these summaries?

I didn't say it invalidated the long term trend. The 'problem' as you call it, is that through scaremongering and the resultant hype, if the long term trend is not seen continuously even at short timescales it will discredit the climate science even where valid in the eyes of the public. No matter how sound the science is, the public must be carried if action is going to be taken.

Snow is very emotive thus a useful symbol, thus bashing Scottish Snowsports and predicting its death (it should have died based on original predictions) is very convenient to certain environmental groups who as it happens want to end lift served snowsports in Scotland anyway. The effect of media coverage means the perception of climate change in Highland Scotland has been far more damaging than any actuality to date.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 6-05-09 0:37; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
Here's the link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2007/pr20070104.html

Quote:
2007 - forecast to be the warmest year yet

2007 is likely to be the warmest year on record globally, beating the current record set in 1998, say climate-change experts at the Met Office.

Also link to Hadley Global Temperature: http://www.cru.uea.ac.uk/cru/data/temperature/nhshgl.gif

Hadley Global Temperature Trend graph (actually slightly below flat now):

ski holidays
Winterhighland wrote:
I didn't say it invalidated the long term trend.

What you said was:

Quote:

Point 2 being:

Quote:

So you said that temp since 2000 has not increased. It has.

Winterhighland wrote:
The 'problem' as you call it, is that through scaremongering and the resultant hype, if the long term trend is not seen continuously even at short timescales it will discredit the climate science even where valid in the eyes of the public. No matter how sound the science is, the public must be carried if action is going to be taken.

I didn't call anything a problem, I asked what your problem was with the Hadley and Giss data showing warming. Apparently your problem is not with the data (which you thought showed cooling but doesn't), it's with the media reporting. Fair enough.
ski holidays
Ok

Here is an easily readable pulbished "peer reviewed" paper on the global warming petition project.

http://www.petitionproject.org/gw_article/GWReview_OISM150.pdf

Unfortunatly us mortals dont get access to vast majority of papers as this costs.

Fortunaltly this paper was published for free.

No dought you will find fault in this somewhere.
But before you do, I will do the AGWers trick of questioning if you are educated enough to argue the science.
Im not... TBH I dont care. A few degrees raised (prob when im old or dead) will make little difference to me. I could prob grow grapes when i retire.
All gores film has been massivlty discredited. SOmething like 60 feet sealevel rise? Even the IPCC has forcast only a few cm (using same computer models that forecast it to get warmer in the last 10 years... opps what happened).

Use some common sence. This debate is over because the science has been hijacked by politicians and the media.

Someone mentioned newtons laws. Just want to point out the Newtons laws are an aproximation. The science was not a DONE DEAL. How would we have come out with general relativity?

Anyone who described Einstein as a 'newton skeptic clown' or 'newton denier', will have massive egg on thier face

Dont forget ...

attack the messenger, repeat the mantra! attack the messenger, repeat the mantra! attack the messenger, repeat the mantra!
snow conditions
Winterhighland wrote:
Here's the link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2007/pr20070104.html

Quote:
2007 - forecast to be the warmest year yet

2007 is likely to be the warmest year on record globally, beating the current record set in 1998, say climate-change experts at the Met Office.

Yes, that's how forcasting works. Here they say:

Quote:
In a preliminary report, released today on behalf of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO), the global mean temperature for 2008 is 14.3 °C, making it the tenth warmest year on a record that dates back to 1850.

And:

Quote:
They say this figure is slightly down on earlier years this century partly because of the La Niña that developed in the Pacific Ocean during 2007.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/corporate/pressoffice/2008/pr20081216.html

Winterhighland wrote:
Hadley Global Temperature Trend graph (actually slightly below flat now):

It's a trend graph. Is the trend flat?

Do you have a graph to show that the Hadley Decadel trend is flat?

Winterhighland wrote:
The Hadley Decadal trend is flat and contrary to what the Met Office confidently predicted in their forecast for 2007, global temperature did not reach the level of 1998.

The trend here isn't flat:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climatechange/guide/bigpicture/fact2.html

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Wed 6-05-09 9:51; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
tuxpoo wrote:
Ok

Here is an easily readable pulbished "peer reviewed" paper on the global warming petition project.

http://www.petitionproject.org/gw_article/GWReview_OISM150.pdf

Unfortunatly us mortals dont get access to vast majority of papers as this costs.

Fortunaltly this paper was published for free.

FAIL. It's not peer reviewed. It's published by these people:

http://www.oism.org/

Info here:

http://sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Oregon_Institute_of_Science_and_Medicine

I think that paper is overpriced.

tuxpoo wrote:
No dought you will find fault in this somewhere.
But before you do, I will do the AGWers trick of questioning if you are educated enough to argue the science.

Try arguing some science with me and find out.

tuxpoo wrote:
Im not... TBH I dont care. A few degrees raised (prob when im old or dead) will make little difference to me. I could prob grow grapes when i retire.
All gores film has been massivlty discredited. SOmething like 60 feet sealevel rise? Even the IPCC has forcast only a few cm (using same computer models that forecast it to get warmer in the last 10 years... opps what happened).

Use some common sence. This debate is over because the science has been hijacked by politicians and the media.

Ok, you don't care, fair enough.

tuxpoo wrote:
Someone mentioned newtons laws. Just want to point out the Newtons laws are an aproximation. The science was not a DONE DEAL. How would we have come out with general relativity?

Anyone who described Einstein as a 'newton skeptic clown' or 'newton denier', will have massive egg on thier face

I mentioned Newton's experiments and that fact that we don't have to repeat them. We don't. Newtonian mechanics work fine here on earth. On a universal scale they don't. Which is where relativity comes into its own. It helps to know the science before you use it as support for your argument.

tuxpoo wrote:
Dont forget ...

attack the messenger, repeat the mantra! attack the messenger, repeat the mantra! attack the messenger, repeat the mantra!

Do you have a comprehension problem? I've been asking you to argue the science but you won't or can't and have been making ad hom arguments against scientists and me. IRONIC FAIL. One. peer. reviewed. piece of. evidence.
snow conditions
Ok

Find fault in all of these ...

http://petesplace-peter.blogspot.com/2008/04/peer-reviewed-articles-skeptical-of-man.html

Unfortunatly most cost.

Somehave free previews.

Im sure you will find fault in them all.

... bit tedius this ... im looking at NZ snowcams.
snow report
tuxpoo wrote:

Somehave free previews.

Im sure you will find fault in them all.

Of course he will.

His mind is completely closed on this, since so far as he is concerned, "the science has been done and the results are in".

He is, of course, wrong. Some "science has been done". Some but very few "results are in".

There is plenty more to do on both counts, and there certaihnly is still debate going on, regardless of his arrogant certainties.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy