Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Childrens Ski School Outside School Holidays

Poster: A snowHead
We've been looking at various options for a holiday with the kids next year. Due to costs the only way a holiday can be afforded is by taking it outside the usual school holidays. Part of the pack is ski school.

We had been considering Meribel and New Generation, until we read their web site. It states that children classes are only available in school holidays and only option is for 4.25hrs per day and @ €395 per week per child! Shocked So it looks like NG is out of the picture. Sad Maybe i've mis-understood Puzzled

Is this a common issue? We hadnt considered a possibility of childrens ski school not being available nor €395 per week\per child cost!

At Easter the minimums were in Prosniege in Val Thorens €140 per child per week and 3hrs per day, seemed good value. It also allowed us to ski with the minimums in the afternoon. New Gen web site suggests they do not have childrens classes at non school holiday times.

Edited to clarify that i think that 4.25 hrs is too long and the NG dont offer childrens ski school outside school hols.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 3-05-09 7:26; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BMF_Skier, Try somewhere like Equity where the lessons are included in the price
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

only for 4.25hrs per day

presumably you think that's rather a long time - I do, too. That's a silly price. In Les Saisies, at any time of the year, two kids could have 2 hours private lessons a day, for 6 days, for significantly less than that (exact price depending on the time of the season, but this year's low season price would have been 312 euros).

The only reason Les Saisies wouldn't be suitable for your party is that there are a fair few drag lifts - though they are mostly avoidable except for people who really want to explore some of the more distant parts of the Espace Diamant - and they'd have to be good skiers anyway. There's heaps of s/c accommodation within spitting distance of the main lifts and ski school meeting place and prices, at least compared to the 3 Valleys, are very reasonable.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

4.25hrs per day

more than enough for kids.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
4.25 hrs is IMHO, way too long. We do want some time with the kids and the €395 is a laughable amount to pay. Shocked
Probably pro-rata fees but way too much.

Hopefully other schools are more flexible.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
4.25 hrs is def. too long. A full morning or afternoon at least gives time to spend with the kids. Also, it keeps the costs down. Hourly rate wise most ski schools seem comparable, but the overall cost then becomes dependant on the number of hours incorporated. 15-17 hrs a week on a ski school course is plenty if you are paying for it by the hour!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My impression and very limited experience is that most of the large ski schools wll run childrens lesssons throughout the season. Whereas ESF get (rightly) criticised for over large groups in school holidays. They also have a lot of very good instructors and you may well get decent priced lessons of good quality in term time.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hmm, Fernie's morning and afternoon lessons are 2.5hrs (with an hour's lunch break between) - so kids on full days do 5hrs! They seem to do OK, and it does allow us to take them inside to warm up without wasting the entire lesson, though. I'd assume there's a break somewhere in this 4.25hr lesson...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've just seen that Magic also run similar duration lessons and costs in Meribel. Maybe its a 3V's thing that they assume everyone wants and can afford to pay out €400+ a week for childrens lessons! Shocked
However, there is one plus, they do run lessons in 'low season'.
I now just need to win the lottery and we are on our way! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
BMF_Skier, Megamum, I have a couple of suggestions for you, have used them both this year.
First go with Snowbizz the family operator to Puy St Vincent, they own and operate their own ski school in resort. The kids will be all British kids as they only take their own clients, max. 8 per group and £135 or so per week, 2 hour lessons. The owner personally supervises the classes and is available every day to discuss the kids' progress with you/move their groups/sort out any issues, whatever. I cannot praise this company highly enough, they are excellent in every respect. Their ski school is an ESI school too so the Minimums will have medal continuity from their Prosneige medals. It ticks all your other boxes as far as I remember, it is a small resort but deceptive, very secure, very confidence building. You can avoid all drags and get everywhere by chair. Their apartments are very definitely ski-in and out, fab location. It is a very french and very friendly place, I loved it. Additionally there is a real 'social scene' for the kids with the Snowbizz nannies running an evening kids club for a couple of hours each night where they have disco night, pizza night, sledging etc etc. Prices very reasonable out of school holidays.

Secondly, Magic Ski Academy in La Tania, 2 hours a day approx 145E, very good instructors, very caring, dedicated, our group had 7 kids in lessons with them at Easter, all made very good progress and enjoyed themselves. Again an ESI school like Prosneige. La Tania should tick your other boxes too.

HTH snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IMO, if money is an issue (which it is for most of us), then looking outside of 3v may be a better option for you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sarah, Thanks, La Tania comes into the frame. So it appears the excessive charges (€395+ per kid per week) are a Meribel issue. Both Magic and NewGen in Meribel seem to think this reasonable. I have emailed both just to check.
We can now see €145 - 5 days and €175 - 6 days on offer in La Tania against €140 - 6 days in Val Thorens. There are similar costs in most other ski resorts too. The Meribel offering would be laughable if the numbers were not so extreme.
Current reason for not going to Meribel:- childrens ski school costs !!! Sad

Elizabeth B, Believe me, we are looking, Megamums resort advice thread has received much good advice it that regard.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BMF_Skier, I know that Magic in La Tania have a very good reputation and I do usually recommend them, but in the school hols, they too have (what seems to me) an excessively long lesson schedule. Worth checking with them if that is ONLY in the main holidays, as La Tania is a very good family resort (we skied there 2 seasons ago, with our sons in their first year out of ski school - they loved it and there is plenty to keep everyone happy).

As others have said, a couple of hours in the morning or afternoon, suited our children and we then either practiced with them, or went swimming or similar. They would have been tired and cranky after 4.5 hours! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BMF_Skier wrote:
We had been considering Meribel and New Generation, until we read their web site.

New Generation in Les Arcs/Vallandry do standard 2-hour kids lessons.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Les Carroz you can get the usual 2 hours a day group childrens lessons for €142 per child throughout the season......
ski holidays
Quote:

Maybe its a 3V's thing that they assume everyone wants and can afford to pay out €400+ a week for childrens lessons!

That's the budget option for visitors who don't take their nannies with them but are accustomed to paying others to look after their kids all the time. Laughing
ski holidays
Not just Meribel. The kid's lessons with the school I used in Zermatt were 650chf although they were all day. In the end I booked 6 hours of private lessons for the 2 of us for far less than that.
snow report
BMF_Skier, I would think that most ski schools will run kids lessons all the time, but they might not have much company. NG price you quote is stupid, and 2-3 hours per day (depending on class numbers) would be adequate for any child. €140 - €180 would be normal.

I used to work in the twice a day group lessons system, and when I came to France I found the once a day for half a day (approx) system very odd to start with. I now think it works much better as it gives people a chance to ski together and to practise and consolidate what they learnt in their lessons before the next one - much better value than paying an instructor to watch you practise!
ski holidays
BMF_Skier, We paid from memory €190 per child with ESF in Belle Plagne a few years ago for 2.5 hours per day. FYI for a little less (€180) this year we got 5 hours per day with lunch included in Austria (Stuben). The price you've been quoted seems way out of the ball park
snow conditions
By comparison in Big White and Silver Star their Kid's Centers this year charged CA$329 for 5 days of 4 hours tuition + lunch - that's about £185 or €210 - and they will run the session at the booked level even if they have very small numbers.
snow conditions
As Easiski noted, most ski school in most resorts will run children's courses throughout the season - and will run the course for pre-booked children with small numbers - there's nothing special about that. In our small French resort a week's course (6 x 2 hour lessons) for kids in the low season is 78 euros.
ski holidays
BMF_Skier wrote:
We've been looking at various options for a holiday with the kids next year. Due to costs the only way a holiday can be afforded is by taking it outside the usual school holidays.

Or (I know it’s a last resort but ...) you could try outside of France.

Also (if you could pull yourself away from the Gauls) you'll find that ski holidays during half term ain't that costly, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, etc, all have a little snow and a few ski resorts. Ski school (even at half term) should cost around £60 to £80 per week / 2hrs a day

Just a couple of thoughts, but where ever you go have a great time.

Am waiting for the shouting from the French lobby wink
snow conditions
Wayne, I'd like to know which ski schools offer those prices. A quick google search tells me that in Verbier kids group lessons would cost £146 for a week/2hours a day. In La Thuile the same would cost 142 euros (for only 5 days). In Samoens the price would be 101 euros.
latest report
Skimummy wrote:
Wayne, I'd like to know which ski schools offer those prices.

Ok am not going to do a really bad self plug, but they are there if you search around
ski holidays
BMF_Skier for some comparison, http://www.ski-school-connections.co.uk/ski-school/ski-children-group-lessons.php with an independent ski school in Villeneuve, Serre Chevalier, and the International Ski School http://www.esi-serrechevalier.com/monetier/collectifsenf.html in Le Monetier-les-Bains, Serre Chevalier, and Eurekaski in Monetier http://www.eurekaski.com/prices.html

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Wed 6-05-09 22:23; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Wayne, no shouting from me, but I do moan about everyone thinking the Alps finish south of the Tarentaise. Why people who have already said they are on a budget consider Meribel a good destination beats me too.
ski holidays
Skimummy, you need to look at smaller resorts. I've been to FOlgarida where Wayne works and it's a reasonable size for a week's skiing - if oyu get the full area pass including the Madonna di Campiglio side (we didn;t bother) then there's enough for even hardened piste-bashers
ski holidays
Wayne,

Quote:

Ok am not going to do a really bad self plug, but they are there if you search around

Okay - you offer great prices and I like the look of Folgarida - Looks like a long drive though Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt,

I've never looked at ski school prices until now (looking for the kids now) I had lessons on school trips and have never bothered since. I've been to plenty of small resorts, in several countries, and love them.
snow report
I agree that for any one on a "budget" (if by that meaningless word they mean a small budget.....) looking at the 3 Valleys is a bit odd.
snow report
Thanks for the advice guys. Very Happy
pam w, You can ski in many of the larger areas quite reasonably. BTW, we are NOT going to be booking the half term period. The points that I made at the start of this thread, was the rediculous fees and long days being suggested by New Generation and Magic in the 'middle' valley. outside half term. Shocked Sad
Quote:
We had been considering Meribel and New Generation, until we read their web site. It states that children classes are only available in school holidays and only option is for 4.25hrs per day and @ €395 per week per child!

Other ski schools in that and most other areas are more reasonable. €140 by Prosniege in VT is well within reason. However, it is highly likely that were going outside that area anyway, for a change if nothing else. We just wanted to be certain that we hadnt missed anything obvious in and arround the 3V's

Megamums resort advice thread has spec'd what we are after. The 'budget' is probably larger than has been suggested by others, but still, €800 for 5 days ski school for two kids, has to be a joke!

Driving and Self Catering, gives us more what we require but, timewise can rule out many areas inc most of Austria and Italy. We also would 'like' that when we leave the accomodation to be within a few 100yd of the main lifts or by a piste that allows you to ski to and from accomodation to a main lift. Gone are the days where i'm prepared to spend hours of my valuable hard earned holiday queing for buses or walk a mile in ski boots. Being able to lunch in the appartment can be a real bonus too.
Lots of worthwhile advice has been posted here and the other resort thread, we are continuing to look. Thank you. Very Happy
snow report
Skimummy,
It "really" wasn't a desperate self-plug (we are virtually fully booked for next year in all our 6 large hotels - 35% up on last year).

The point was, which I do understand will be unpopular in some places, is that the days when the big French resorts and ski schools had it all their way and they could charge what they wanted, is long gone. The tie in with TOs is becoming increasingly seen (by tourists) as just something they can accept or not.

To become a ski instructor (in any country) is a really big investment in time and money
AMSI = 3years almost full time
BASI = more than 3 years
Sorry know sod all about the other systems but I assume its about the same

So after getting your badge it is reasonable that you ask for a fair return for the effort you have put in. But I have found that it is not normally the individual instructor that sets the prices for a particular school, it is the school it self, or, in some case the TO. So, shop around for either a reasonably price ski school or somewhere where you can book direct with the instructor you want. As an example we had some bookings a few days ago from a family that didn't book lessons with us as they "could already ski" and they were going to go again later in 2010 and would be booking lessons with easiski who they had used before. (sorry Charlot can't think of another word other than used Madeye-Smiley ) and they knew they would get what they needed from her and they were extremely happy with the lessons she gave (just point out here I have never met Charlotte and I'm "not" on any sort of commission - just have had a few clients who have said they were happy with the lessons she gives and her methods of teaching). But hope you get the idea.

BMF_Skier,
Even if you book your holiday via a TO, you can still opt to source certain sections of the holiday yourself. Shop around and remember that like ski hire, ski school in just a constituent section of the overall holiday and so can be priced in and costed the same as all other sections. OK some section of your holiday are all about buying power, eg. like lift passes. you will never get the same rate as us (in our resort) due to sheer volume we buy. But ski lessons ain't like that as they are booked in small blocks (even though some TO do make an extortionate mark up on ski school - but thats another post). It's all about personal choice and preferences.

You “can” shop around but don’t just base your final decision on price, go with something/one you are happy with at a price you feel is reasonable.

Where ever you go, have a brill time.
latest report
We have mainly gone outside school holidays and have never had problems booking the kids in for lessons - we've tried both 6-days of group lessons and a couple of private lessons in a week which the kids prefer now they are a bit better.

Kids had excellent lessons a couple of years ago when they were beginner-ish with ESF in Risoul - all English speaking kids last week in Jan so not exactly a peak week. Could recommend Risoul as a resort too esp for families - small resort so not far to walk to runs but with reasonable ski area in link to Vars, very friendly and reasonably high
snow report
Quote:

Gone are the days where i'm prepared to spend hours of my valuable hard earned holiday queing for buses or walk a mile in ski boots. Being able to lunch in the appartment can be a real bonus too.

Absolutely. And in a big area, unless you are only skiing in a small part of it, getting home for lunch isn't really too practical. In the bigger and better known resorts, too, even mid January there will be a fair few people around, because of all the package dealers. If you go to an area used mostly by the French they are so wedded to their main holiday periods that it's pretty quiet outside those periods. Lift passes, ski schools, beer on the mountain, everything is cheaper. If you are meeting kiddlies after ski school you can't really profit from a big area anyway. If you have the right kind of apartment the kids could themselves back to it after ski school, so the timing becomes less crucial. They could even have the lunch ready by the time you get back... wink
snow conditions
BMF_Skier, have you had a look at Erna Low's website. We booked a couple of apartments through them in the past, and they always had good deals on ski hire, ski schools etc.
ski holidays
pam w, Hopefully, we'll return to the appt after kids finish morning ski school, one of us can return earlier at get lunch squared away. We have , in this year holiday, also eaten out a few time as well, but it is v expensive in VT.
Helen Beaumont, Must admit, i hadnt thought about Erna Low, I'll look later. Thanks
snow conditions
BMF_Skier, we had no problem skiing substantial distances, both am and pm, in Les Arcs and still having a leisurely lunch at St Bernard. And the pistes were, mostly, incredibly quiet outside school hols: I think we queued for a lift just a couple of times, and then for not more than about three minutes, the rest of the time we walked straight on to them.
snow report
Hurtle wrote:
I think we queued for a lift just a couple of times, and then for not more than about three minutes, the rest of the time we walked straight on to them.

That's curious isn't it, given how the big French resorts are always said to be rammed skifactories simply processing skiers like sausages in a sausage factory? Wink
ski holidays
BMF_Skier wrote:
sarah, Thanks, La Tania comes into the frame. So it appears the excessive charges (€395+ per kid per week) are a Meribel issue. Both Magic and NewGen in Meribel seem to think this reasonable. I have emailed both just to check.
............ The Meribel offering would be laughable if the numbers were not so extreme.
Current reason for not going to Meribel:- childrens ski school costs !!! Sad

Elizabeth B, Believe me, we are looking, Megamums resort advice thread has received much good advice it that regard.

Just received a reply from New Generation, they confirmed two things about Meribel and Les Arcs :-
1) Costs and lesson durations - 4.5 hrs per day and €395!
2) They do not offer childrens classes outside school holidays, only private lessons, that would cost £900 for the week!

I think they want to keep the riff-raff away! Well, they have succeeded! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy