Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in the light of a full moon at midnight

Poster: A snowHead
Skiers in the know take a trip up to Loveland Pass in Colorado, with a driver shuttling skiers from the bottom of the slopes to the top of the pass. And when the moon is full there's enough light to ski in the magical calm ... without a headlamp ... once your eyes are conditioned to it.

This report by Chris Outcalt for Vail Daily.

Quote:
When I first called Schaefer and told him I was doing a story about skiing Loveland Pass on a full moon, he wasn’t exactly thrilled.

It’s a locals thing, the kind of gathering that’s best left to be spread by word of mouth. But Schaefer started skiing the pass on full moon nights in 1993 and quickly conceded the cats probably already out of the bag. He’s probably turned 50 people onto the activity himself.

“It’s amazing how it’s changed,” [Matt] Schaefer said. “Back then we’d get fresh tracks during the full moon.”

It’s more of a social event, now, he said.

I've night-skied a couple of times, but never without artificial light. And, of course, quite a number of ski areas feature night pistes that operate under the glare of harsh floodlights.

Anyone tried skiing with nothing but the light of the moon? I guess the answer in the Alps is to check the charts and - if possible - find a place where a ski lift runs in the dark. A few cog railways or cablecars make the occasional run to get people up to high accommodation etc.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Many moons ago I and a whole bunch of other instructors, held a party in the Scottish Ski Club Hut. Sometime around midnight we skinned up to the Headwall of Cairngorm and skied all the way back down to the car park. It was moonlit and very easy to see everything.

Night skied a number of times since then but under floodlights... once in Sweden (but frankly the lights were on all day!), once in Keystone and loads of times in Soll which, in my opinion, is the best of the lot.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pennies in a stream
Falling leaves a sycamore
Moonlight in Vermont

Icy finger waves
Ski trails on a mountain side
Snowlight in Vermont

Rather a magical experience described by BS on the Cairngorm. Something I'd like to do. But time is ticking, and I doubt I will.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, a cut above his normal BS, and not something I came remotely close to during my season on the mountain. Our 'highlight' was the midnight movie in the Aviemore Centre on Monday nights.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Next time I'll do it sober.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Several yurt trips with the full moon, half where we actually saw it and skied with the full moon. I do love it when the moon actually shines down.

Another occasion while working at a ski hill we were partying afterward and grabbed a Cat, went up and partied in the top shack with the full moon, the eclipse, and Hale-Bop comet, the party was great but the ski down was rather firm.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bode Swiller, it won't be as good.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You can do this in 2Alpes once a month all winter. Costs 40€, includes restaurant meal and 'soiree dansant' before skiing back down.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Val Cenis resort also does it once a month, when it's a full moon - unless it's completely cloudy. Gondola up, then ski down. It's free! Includes a glass of gluhwein and music at the bottom of the gondola. Three goes and then it's boring as it's a very short run - and green!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
And Diavalezza near St Moritz too.

Not really appeal to me but seems quite a lot of places to do it.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've skied the Vallee Blanche, by night, the so called Vallee Noir. You have to plan to be there at full moon, the weather has to be clear, there has to be snow all the way down to the valley floor unless you want a long walk out, the snow conditions on the Vallee Blanche have to be good, and you have to have a good forecast (remember this is off piste glacier skiing). We took the last lift up to the Aiguille du Midi at 4.30, skied/skinned/climbed to the Cosmiques Refuge, ate dinner and watched the sun go down. At about 9.30, it when it was fully dark, we set off down to Chamonix. Three hours later, we were drinking beer in La Terrasse.

A magical experience.

I recommend taking a guide unless you are very experienced in this sort of high mountain environment.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamcham, Brilliant !
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Early January 1982 after the "big storm" - skiing off-piste on the golf-course adjacent to Gloucester ski-slope, by the light of a full-moon Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller, I could tell you the stories about instructor parties in the old Ptarmigan, not everyone skied down though. Some had to be tied onto the White Lady Chairlift in the wee small hours and dispatched that way! wink

Have skied Glas Maol in the fading afternoon twilight around New Year in the mid 90s, when one of the Coire Fionn Pomas decided that was enough. By the time I got up the remaining one and down Meall Odhar to join a large queue at Tom Dearg the light was almost shot. Rode up Tom Dearg in what starlight there was from a partly clearing sky, as I reached the top the moon came out from behind a cloud - hence I discovered the reason for the queue on Tom Dearg, decided to sneek another couple of laps in by moonlight before heading down Sunnyside! Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chamcham, that's one hell of a story. Superb!

Did you get photos?
snow report
No - it was dark!
latest report
You'll be telling me the moon puts out black light next. Is it made of cheese?
snow conditions
Chamcham, darkish surely ? Very Happy
ski holidays
Pretty dark, actually. The moonlight reflected off les Drus was pretty impresive, and the reflections from the snow towering up both sides of the Mer de Glace was awesome, but it was still nothing like skiing in daylight. Progress was relatively slow, especially around the crevasses, and it was very dark in the trees down from Montenvers. The darkest part was when skiing through the snow cave at the end of the Mer de Glace (it hasn't been there for a couple of years), and abseiling down the far end of it. I think it's probably just as well that I couldn't see the chasm beneath me as I lost my edge... If you get the oppportunity to do it, highly recommended.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy