Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Couloir des Italiens, Grande Casse

Poster: A snowHead
Been lusting after this one for a while.. and finally got a chance to get in amongst it today, before the Bank Holiday crowds...

Unfortunately, our powers of swimming uphill through 50-55 degrees of powder waned at about 3600m, so choice was ski the awesome powder below, or push on through and be too knackered to ski... easy decision, but still will need to come back and ski the full couloir...probably the great 'old school' classic steep ski of the Vanoise area...

Sunrise on Glaciers de la Vanoise:

Col de la Grande Casse:

La Face du Jour:

2 skiers on Petite Face Nord:

Will following my 'swimming trench', (spanking paddles in full effect in thigh deep powder....):

And breaking trail:

Upward movement no longer an option at 3600m... first turn anyone? - The 'flat' area in the sun is still 45 degrees...

Will in action:

Hmmm, nice tracks...

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nice!

what's the exposure like on that line? i feel that for my own steep skiing to improve I need some nice steep pitches without scary cliffs to fall off

edit: not that I am contemplating going to that particular couloir for training purposes...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno Bottom of the face (out of shot left in last shot), is mostly seracs... The face is exposed-ish in a 'steep & don't really want to fall down it' kind of way...

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Fri 1-05-09 16:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Look forward to seeing this TR when I can get at the pics..:lol; sounds good
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Arno, was going to say... there are possibly better 'stepping stones' than this... Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
WOW... is it the face you can see from Courchevel? as per the summer photo taken from the Saulier cable car station?

snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
offpisteskiing, i discovered on my most recent trip that (for me at least) there is a threshold where, even if there is a nice run-out and nothing to hit, falling looks like a really bad option!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
skimottaret, your photo looks like the "normal" touring route up there but stand to be corrected - about 40 degrees at its steepest
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arno, right gotcha, the photo i took is of the west face i am guessing the italliens is on the south or s east face?

crikey if the west side is "only" 40 i couldnt imagine the other side at 50 55deg !!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
skimottaret, you can see the face with the couloir Italiennes very well from the Espace Killy. Think it's the N face. I think the obvious peak on the photo entitled "Face du Jour" is the left-hand summit on your photo

And yes I spend far too much time looking at lines i will probably never ski Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
skimottaret, Your piccy shows the Grands Couloirs - the 'normal' route up the W of the mountain. Couloir des Italiens is on the North face, there's even bigger & badder things to do on the South face (think s. face direct gets 5.5, 1500m at 45-55 degrees... yikes!).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, offpisteskiing, thanks, I can picture it now in my head (left all my proper maps in France), You guys are certifiable skiing that sort of stuff Madeye-Smiley Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
here's a pic nicked from skitour.fr of the north face

skimottaret, i haven't skied anything remotely as gnarly as that
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing, wow very, very nice!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Woohooooo... In the bag from the very top today.... Couldn't get over the nagging feeling of not quite finishing the job on Friday, so up we went again....

Happy days.. top conditions... time for a beer... (or three..)
ski holidays
Stone the crows! That's steep! Shocked
snow report
offpisteskiing, Fab pics. I'd better get off to Tamworth and get some practice in Madeye-Smiley . I wanna ski that before I die, just hopefully not immediately before Shocked
latest report
offpisteskiing, Another great trip report. Very Happy
snow report
Couple more piccies from today:

Climbing face nord central:

Summit ridge of Grande Casse:

Drop-in anyone?

On the face below the top funnel (middle of photo 1/3 up approx..):

2 happy bunnies & 1 steep face:

latest report
You crossed my ski buddy Luc at the entrance. I know he was keen to join you but had to guide some "clients" on the Moyenne Face Nord, his TR is here

http://www.bivouak.net/topos/course.php?id_sortie=6205&id_sport=1
snow conditions
La Grand Casse - super hyper cool Little Angel

Nice one!
ski holidays
if at first you don't succeed etc...
what a great line to have ticked off!
snow report
Those are some pretty big grins after the second assault, fantastic achievement..
latest report
Haggis_Trap, Hey D, just seen your Lochaber Haute Route pics... great stuff! - Had a similar day to that in 96 (?) - starting from Glen Nevis Youth Hostel, down #4, up to CMD, down CMD & out to bottom of Quad at NR, then finished off with Easy Gully... quality...

Question: Much snow still in the gullies at the mo? Got a flying visit back to home in a weeks time - worth putting in the ski gear? I'm assuming the major gullies will still have a good fill...
snow conditions
Yeuch!

http://visit-fortwilliam.co.uk/webcam/
snow report
offpisteskiing wrote:
Hey D, just seen your Lochaber Haute Route pics... great stuff! - Had a similar day to that in 96 (?) - starting from Glen Nevis Youth Hostel, down #4, up to CMD, down CMD & out to bottom of Quad at NR, then finished off with Easy Gully... quality...

Top marks for adding in Easy Gully !
Its a great traverse Very Happy

It may have been chatting to you on the ferry that gave me the idea for (repeating) that route wink

offpisteskiing wrote:
Question: Much snow still in the gullies at the mo? Got a flying visit back to home in a weeks time - worth putting in the ski gear? I'm assuming the major gullies will still have a good fill...

Not sure to be honest - have been out in the alps last few weeks.
Its always hard to guess from the www cams what the north face looks like.
Though i imagine the major gullys *might* still be ok....

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Wed 6-05-09 16:36; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Haggis_Trap, congrats on Mt Blanc.
latest report
offpisteskiing, ... Felicitations ... ! Very Happy

That is such a superb route & glad you managed to bag it in such great conditions ... snowHead

Looked longingly at it this season, as a trip with Francois, but just didn't work out ....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
offpisteskiing, Fantastic stuff. I love looking at the Grand Casse from all around the Tarentaise - one of the most beautiful in the world I think.
snow conditions
offpisteskiing, amazing photo's, I can't imagine what it must feel like to be skiing that sort of mountain territory.....
snow report
Quote:

offpisteskiing, Fantastic stuff. I love looking at the Grand Casse from all around the Tarentaise - one of the most beautiful in the world I think.

What a good excuse to show another pic of offpisteskiing, this time from the other side and on his touring gear:

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy