Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British ski coach reports mysterious disappearance of Nepali racer from Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
2 page spread in a Sunday minimum.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Hi mate, glad he's OK

Thanks Wayne - and Hi to you too

Quote:

Hey Paris Eh !! It seems you are the luckiest man in the world. Paris has 2 million people and someone spotted him from a face book photograph. It seems your life is blessed by the lucky spotting of people from photographs.

I think Paris has much more than 2 million - somewhere around 6 million I believe....I know the chance sounds incredible but a lot of youngsters read facebook and he was wearing the same shirt that was featured in facebook (deliberate ploy by us to use that pic) Still I agree it was remarkable.

Quote:

How come on your facebook stuff it says you knew he was OK on the 4th of May and you were still on here telling us that you thought he had topped himself, at the same time, as he was upset about “various stuff” hmmmmmmmmmmm sehr interessant.

His facebook stuff was depressive and indicated an unstable frame of mind - and it may not have been him. we were still worried about him until he telephoned.

Quote:

Well I personally am the inventor of the Reverse 720 with Backscracher'8. Never landed one yet but I did invent it.

That sounds cool - I wish I could land a single flip! .....good luck to you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Don't patronise the people on here when you know nothing about them...How do you know what they have achieved in their lives? And whatever gives you the right to speak as if you have been so good for the world and people in it?

Isn't this the pot calling the kettle black? What does anyone here know about me? But it doesn't stop the most incredible assumptions from being made about me - like I'm doing all this for a few thousand measely dollars from the IOC!!

If I am attacked surely I have the right to answer - or then again perhaps not in this forum.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scooby North wrote:
Don't do yourself down. If you have 'lived well, laughed often and loved much', nobody could say that your contribution to the world is 0.

Don't understand me wrong Smile I'm perfectly happy with my life, and to be honest, I doubt it could be any better Smile I had 20 great years of racing in xc skiing (if we stick to skiing:)), without any significant results (at least in global aspect) though, I have great wife, and I still live well, have fun and love, and I still laugh almost constantly Smile So my life still is great. Smile
But realistically looking, I doubt any of this has impact on general World. Sure it probably has some impact to my family, friends and people around me, but globally... I think globally World would still be exactly same with or without my "contribution" Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Probably not...Reckon that might be another pseudonym of someone!!!! Never mind pinches of salt - what about a whole truckload??!!!!

You can find Ben in Facebook - known as Ben Somethingorother - he has been the freestyle trainer for the team for the past 12 years - and he has done entirely out of love for nepal, the sport and team - as we all have.

One day maybe people might understand what giving to others is is all about. What a miserable world we live in!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scooby North, just curious as to why you joined and have only posted on this thread?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Richard Morley wrote:
If I am attacked surely I have the right to answer - or then again perhaps not in this forum.

Actually... you started Wink

This was your first post:
Quote:
Uttam did not join the Witnessess - that was a convenient decoy put up by Reuters to protect the real culprits - namely the IOC. He visited the Church once because he was so depressed by the sheer corruption and indifference of the Olympic system - but the press cannot say that because the multi billion dollar industry of sport has control over the media as well -

With first few words here you started talking about IOC, Reuters and I don't know who elses plot. Noone attacked you here before you started this ridiculous journey from one plot to the other. And to be honest, pretty much everyone here had more concern for poor kid, then you showed here. Main thing in pretty much every post you wrote is corruption, corruption and corruption, not this kid. I might be naive, but if it would be about my kid, corruption would be last thing I would care about in such moments. But hey... that's just me.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Right, I have been following this thread but i have not posted on here yet as it all seemed over my head. I am glad Uttam is safe and well and I wish him well for the future, whatever that may hold.

Richard Morley, I do not know enough on the facts of this issue to judge you, as so many others have. I think there have been some very harsh critics on here and you have argued your case with dignity. I also wish you well for the future.

Thank you so much for being so kind - you have made a worn out old man feel a little uplifted amidst so much stress and worry - hope you have a happy evening.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

My contribution to the world? To be honest, I really doubt there's any. World would easily exist, without me being here. I try to do my job as good as I can, but I don't fool myself I will change world with doing what I do. So my contribution to world is pretty much 0. I'm sure you consider your crying about IOC corruption as huge contribution to the world, but somehow I have feeling it still won't change much.

I agree with you entirely - and I'm in exactly the same position as you ....

And I know I shall never beat the IOC - they are far too powerful than I ...

and the only thing I've ever really achieved is to give a little bit of happiness to those around me from time to time.....

but I keep trying to keep the flag of old fashioned values flying - I despise corruption and I fight it wherever I go....

that's the way my mother taught me - and her memory makes me soldier on to the end whatever the cost.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Richard Morley, dont take it too personally, some people on here just like to whip things up a bit rolling eyes
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nepal is a poor and problematic place. The Paddy's on the site will know of that documentary following a "rich" "artist/poet" around Nepal, where he bought the favours of young boys. Cant remember his name but his poetry is still on the exam curriculum.

Sounds like RM at least is helping out these youngsters that will other wise be prayed upon by the same kind of people that go to the far east just for the sex trade. It is quite an awful programme where it showed that these guys were taken away to the poets lair in one case for the cost of a new bicycle!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8045149.stm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/8045149.stm
I just don't believe that a stranger would recognise him and alert him to a Facebook campaign.

also, if true this is also surprising... Rayamajhi, who vanished about two weeks ago, speaks no French or English No English?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Edited as this is a pointless post apres-moderator activity wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guvnor wrote:
Edited as this is a pointless post apres-moderator activity wink

the mystery deepens indeed..
snow report
Guvnor, I saw it as well. An unpleasant argument plumbed new depths.

Worst accusation I have ever seen on here.
ski holidays
Latchigo, It was indeed a 'coffee over keyboard' moment
latest report
Guvnor, I hate it when they remove stuff...can you pm me?
snow conditions
I read it .. 99% of it was just a quote ( presumably) from an old article questioning RM's actions with respect to this young man. The rest of it was conjecture ( with no accusation) on his motives -- that's all I read, but may of course have been edited... storm blown away, presumably by the poster concerned.
snow report
I posted it - then took it off (didn't get asked to by anyone, just decided to)

Reason - not the sort of stuff for a light hearted ski forum, so took it off - hope it's OK to change my mind.

Have printed off this thread and will take it to Nepal in a few weeks when I'm back there so at least the locals know what's being said in the UK. Can't e mail it as there is no web on the trek.
snow conditions
Didn't see it but it doesn't take a genius (luckily) to work out what might have been alleged. Putting something like that up and then taking it down isn't too far removed from leaving it up because I'm now left wondering if there's any truth in what I'm guessing was said. It's an old trick... make a vile accusation, then withdraw it knowing that the vile accusation will still stick in the mind. Anyway Wayne, hope it wasn't done deliberately for that effect.
snow report
Wayne wrote:

Have printed off this thread and will take it to Nepal in a few weeks when I'm back there so at least the locals know what's being said in the UK. Can't e mail it as there is no web on the trek.

Dont you think perhaps that you're crediting Snowheads with a little too much power/influence?
snow conditions
genepi wrote:
Dont you think perhaps that you're crediting Snowheads with a little too much power/influence?

LoL - that's not what I meant. I have also printed all the various facebook stuff that was put up at differing times. Plus lots of other web stuff about this.
I think it's sometimes hard to understand from here (Europe) that many people in the world will never know about what is being said about them or their area due to simply not being in a developed nation. I just think they will find it interesting.

Bode Swiller wrote:
Didn't see it but it doesn't take a genius (luckily) to work out what might have been alleged. Putting something like that up and then taking it down isn't too far removed from leaving it up because I'm now left wondering if there's any truth in what I'm guessing was said. It's an old trick... make a vile accusation, then withdraw it knowing that the vile accusation will still stick in the mind. Anyway Wayne, hope it wasn't done deliberately for that effect.

No it wasn't sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Just thought this has gone far enough. Working in Nepal I think my views are understood on this sort of stuff - this ain't the only case of this type by the way, and I really do hear of stories like this too often.

But anyway this is deff my last post on this thread
ski holidays
Wayne, Dont forget if you ever need real help in Nepal there is a very well equipped British Army base there.
snow conditions
Quote:

I just don't believe that a stranger would recognise him and alert him to a Facebook campaign.

The man concerned was actually a young French journalist - he has contacted Uttam on Facebook confirming the story.

Uttam has given an account of his travels on camera to France 3 and M 6 TV - you may see it tonight on the web.

But I don't suppose anyone will believe the young man either - it seems that most people believe what they wish regardless of the facts or the accounts of trully independent people.

Quote:

also, if true this is also surprising... Rayamajhi, who vanished about two weeks ago, speaks no French or English No English?

A journalistic error I'm afraid. No press release ever states he knew no English. And all the Press releases are fully available on line for you to read.

Quote:

Worst accusation I have ever seen on here.

It is amazing to see the depths of foulness to which some people will go when they lose an argument decided upon the facts. Foul innuendo and base accusation is their only resort. And it is utterly disgusting that the accuser should now seek to publicise his entirely unsubstantiated foulness amoungst simple and innocent people in Nepal without any consideration for the very youth he purports to protect. What will his family feel? What will he feel? Is there no end to this man's insane vindictiveness? And what sort of forum is this that he is applauded for doing so?

One of your membership personally knows the team at Les Arcs. He talks to them quite often. He has written to me privately expressing his agreement with many of the issues I have raised about the IOC but feels unable to express them publicly himself. The sheer vindictiveness and narrow minded bigotry written in this this forum prevents him from posting - and leads him to encourage my silence as well. But he is fully aware that the team is well known in the local community and very well supported. Do you really think such would be possible were the sort of filth spread about by Wayne be true?

Ridicule, base inuendo and blatant misrepresentation are the basic tools of fascism. They prevent free speech by the majority and allow a tiny group of bigoted sad lunatics to dominate all around them. Sadly this Forum seems to be no exception.
latest report
Richard Morley, Another well presented post, which addressed criticisms and defended them well. Unfortunately I do not know enough on this issue to be able to defend you, if that's what I chose to do. Fortunately, I do not particularly care about what most SH think of me, so I will speak my mind.

Maybe you were misguided in setting up the ski team, I guess I will never know. However, I believe that you did what you did because you strongly believed you were doing something for the good.

Unfortunately, some people take pleasure in trying to bring others down, often because it makes them feel better about themselves. I have no idea why Wayne, would want to take all his documentation to Nepal, surely it would just make things worse for Uttam. As for his earlier post, which he removed I suspect he removed it as he didn't believe the content himself for one second.

As I said yesterday, I hope things work out for you all, one way or another.
snow conditions
OK I wasn’t gona but …..

The reason I’m going to take all the printed stuff with me (half of which praises you by the way, it’s about 50/50) is that I don’t assume – as Europeans have done for centuries – that the simple and innocent people in Nepal don’t have to right to have the information and make up their own mind without some arrogant pratt deciding on which sections to censor. Those days are long gone.

Richard. I have never met a King, I don’t (or didn’t) and never have lived in a castle, in fact guess you could call me normal (normal here means being the same as virtually everyone else). Not much bugs me and like most people I just tend to let the world roll on and sort it self out. I walk up a few mountains when I’m not teaching physics and both of these are when I’m not sliding around on skis and that’s about it. Not much to change the world I know, buy hey, am just getting by.

In my work around the world I have seen so many 500SEL mercs driving past people who haven’t eaten for days that I understand that there is sod all I can do to change the situation in the country I’m in at the time. But I do help people (without putting out press releases) when I can. I give food money etc to people I see in a desperate situation but I am not stupid, or conceited, enough to think that I am in any way helping change the world, but if I can help to fill someone’s belly for a few hours then I’m satisfied that I have helped in my own way.

I don’t bleat about it when so big organisation doesn’t see the world as I want it to. I fully understand the reality of the situation. In some countries the pocketing of money when it becomes available (whether by what you call corruption or otherwise) is just the way it is. It’s been like that for 1,000’s of year and you n me ain’t gona change it.

The condescending nature of some people that I see prating around Nepal, Africa, etc is stupefying. They (always loudly) proclaim to anyone that will listen, that if we all do our bit then things will change. I notice that this always involve doing what “they” see to be the right thing. Got some news for ya Richard your daft ski team ain't gona change anything. In fact the Only way these countries are gona alter if if the governments decide they want to. Why they don't is obvuosly to everyone. So it stays the same.

When I say that not much bugs me well of course a few thing do. One of them is well educated, well off (by Nepalese standards enormously rich), well meaning (in a patronising way) treating the simple and innocent people in Nepal as just another group of people that they can somehow transform into (their idea what it means to be) Europeans. For your information Richard these simple and innocent people have a culture going back thousands of years. You may not like the way they live. It may not be up to your “standards” or live possession lead desperation as you obviously do - medals are possessions as well ya know.

Well so sod you, what gives you the right to try and turn them into either a mirror image of yourself or (worst) to use them as a method of achieving a sporting success that you couldn’t do yourself.

I don’t really care how you “obtained” this boy. I don’t care about what you have been doing to him since you obtained him. And I especially don’t care about you ideas about what is wrong with the “family” or your ideas of how to improve on the idea of a family. Got some news for you Richard. You are a product of the family tradition as are most people in Europe and have been for 1,000’s of years. That’s what makes you, you. The boy you took from his home – like Europeans have been doing for centuries – was also the product of 1,000’s of year of tradition, which you in your arrogance decided was not as good as yours.

The days when rich Europeans could jaunt around the world doing as they pleased is coming to an end. I think you will understand that more than most.

If you like Nepal so much why don’t you go and life like the average Nepalese person. No, not mixing with Kings or being involved with the LOC but just like most of them live. I will give you some bread and a few dollars when I see you next.
ski holidays
Actually Wayne I completely agree with the vast bulk of what you have just written.....I think you have an image of me, probably gained from the British media published 10-15 years ago, that has led you to certain conclusions which in turn have offended me. Hence the sharp discourse.

But in essence we may well be on the same side about a lot of issues. Certainly I completely agree with the notions you express about condescending rich Europeans pratting around the 3rd world trying to 'civilize' it. And I know my ski team isn't going to change anything. But it might give some people in the nation a sense of pride - and that is I believe a useful contribution.

I know that my circle over the years has included Kings, Princes, Dukes and all sorts of aristocrats. Some of them were my friends - others not. But they were not my only friends and I certainly have never lived their lifestyle - nor shared their common attitudes. My closest friends are, and always have been, the most ordinary people. And my 'castle' was more a hotel than anything else.

Quote:

Well so sod you, what gives you the right to try and turn them into either a mirror image of yourself or (worst) to use them as a method of achieving a sporting success that you couldn’t do yourself.

Please understand that over the past 25 years I have become as much Nepali as those Nepalis around me accepted some aspects of my European culture. It is a process of cultural integration rather than enforced Europeanisation as you seem to believe. I do not see myself as being European anymore at all. And I certainly would never wish anyone to be a mirror image of myself. I am far too direct for my own good.

As for hoping the skiers will go further than I could, isn't that normal for any trainer? Don't we all want the next generation to do what we couldn't? I'm not ashamed of that.

Quote:

I don’t really care how you “obtained” this boy. I don’t care about what you have been doing to him since you obtained him.

I think you should care about these points because I am duty bound as a human being to give proper care and attention for a minor in my charge. I believe I have acted entirely properly in this duty and I hope I have done him some good.

The word 'obtained' suggests that you believe he will remain with me. Let me asure you that he is here simply for ski training and not for any other reason. He begged me to come to Europe for 6 months a year and I felt unable to refuse him. But now that his career has been cut short by the Nepali auhorities he must return permanently to Nepal. There can be no question of anything else. I am far too old to adopt any more youngsters!

Quote:

And I especially don’t care about you ideas about what is wrong with the “family” or your ideas of how to improve on the idea of a family. Got some news for you Richard. You are a product of the family tradition as are most people in Europe and have been for 1,000’s of years. That’s what makes you, you. The boy you took from his home – like Europeans have been doing for centuries – was also the product of 1,000’s of year of tradition, which you in your arrogance decided was not as good as yours.

The issue of the family is probably the reason why you seem to hate me so much. And I am sorry for that. As a young man nearly 30 years ago I embarked upon an idealistic adventure to explore new family alternatives - as many others have done. I saw the decay of the traditional system around me and thought there were better ways of living and bringing up children. Whether I was right or wrong is not really an issue for this forum - and to be honest I am not certain of that issue myself. I still live in a 'Molecular' family although the structure of it has changed a great deal since the media you base your assumptions upon was published. Today it is far more similar to the traditional structure than you might believe. But that is another debate perhaps.

Moreover please understand that I have not taken a boy from his home or his culture as you write. He is merely attending a ski training camp. And I also believe his culture in Nepal is actually far more sound than many aspects of our culture in the West - please do not jump to conclusions about me.

Quote:

If you like Nepal so much why don’t you go and life like the average Nepalese person.

Actually I do! I eat and sleep and dress and travel exactly like the other members of my Nepali family. I live in a village home without electricity sharing my meal space with the buffallo and washing on the terrace like any other Nepali man.

I think the problem here Wayne is that you don't really know me - and you believe the appalling rubbish printed in some British newspapers half a lifetime ago. Maybe we should have a drink together sometime.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well said - I will give you the benifit of (a small amount of) doubt.

I will be in Thamel in 3 weeks time (off to ABC again with another bunch of happy trekkers) so will be around Pok.. you don't say where you're from - Send me a PM and I will call and see you and see whats what.
snow report
Richard Morley, Wayne, well done guys, two beautifully constructed posts wink
snow report
Thanks for the message Wayne - much appreciated.

And thanks to HH for your kind sentiments.....

Sadly Wayne I am not in Nepal for the moment - still packing up everything in Les Arcs - then it's off the UK and Germany where my main home is - Normally I'm with the family in Nepal for Dasain and Diwalli later in the year.....but my health is not so good and I'm struggling at the moment......everyone says rest rest rest - so perhaps I should.....I need a holiday....

but it would be great to meet up on the trails in October - Subash wants me to go trekking with him and the walk should do me some good....

till then I wish you the best of luck and hope you have a great time in Nepal.
snow conditions
Uttam is found. Wayne and Richard have buried the hatchet and are going to meet up.

Oh, I love a happy ending ...... Cool
snow conditions
maggi, Laughing
All we need now is to sort out JB1970's house Laughing
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, sounds like Richard Morley's place in Nepal is empty at the moment.
snow report
FenlandSkier, Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy