Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Aldershot summer race training

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

My lad did his first time through gates at Les Collons this year with ski school and quite enjoyed it. When I said that you could do it at the dry slopes in summer he seamed keen(though not sure if he will after a fall on dendex). He is a low red level skier in the Swiss system and quite cautious but I would like him to give this a couple of goes at least to see if he enjoys it

I understand that there is a race club based at Aldershot but cannot get any contact details from the slope or club sites. Does anyone know the contacts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gilberts Fridge, send a message to GrahamN who is an active member of the senior race club at Aldershot and will know who runs the junior club.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gilberts Fridge, PM sent.

Unfortunately for your son, the junior club is very popular at present and absolutely full (membership of about 48 kids, can't really accommodate even that on the slope if there's a full turnout at training sessions). Intake is normally after try-outs in Sept/Oct, but sometimes spaces do open up during the year as kids move away/find something else to do. There's also, unfortunately, no general public gate sessions run by the slope itself.

Another possibility may be Southampton, http://www.southampton-alpine-centre.co.uk/openingtimes_winter.htm, which has two clubs and has (certainly used to have) gate sessions open to the general public. Looking at that timetable, I think the gate sessions are actually run by the two clubs there, but I'm pretty sure that at least one of the evening sessions is open to non-members.

At Aldershot the senior and junior clubs are separate, and we (the seniors) are a bit more relaxed and are not over-subscribed - so if you're interested we'd be happy to see you yourself (lower age limit for our club is 18 Wink ). Our main training session is 7:45am - 9:15am Saturday mornings Shocked (official times, but we tend to drift late by up to 15 mins).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gilberts Fridge, There may be some space at Berkshire Race Squad www.berkshireracesquad.co.uk which is based at Bracknell. Sunday mornings all year round and Friday evenings at Bracknell during the winter. Summer Friday evenings are at Aldershot for those who want to race.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beequin,
Quote:

at Aldershot for those who want to race.
Dendix rules Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
But Permasnow rocks for development over the winter.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gilberts Fridge, where are you located? Are you close enough to Hemel's Fridge? Hemel race club meets on Mondays and Wednesdays.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Although I think Wednesdays is not open to beginners.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beequin, good point - I had exactly that thought shortly after making my post. And I probably have to admit that your second point is pretty fair too (although our top guys just wupped your boys last Sunday, yessirree Wink) I did feel your guys were trying to force the skis too much rather than let them run, maybe a result of having to work too hard on the Permasnow? [/threaddrift]
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
GrahamN Fair comment too, see you in Southampton on 23rd. Smile
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi All

many thanks for the PMs GrahamN and beequin, its a real shame about Aldershot being full but you never know, will look at Bracknell as well. Southamptom will be a bit too far though. rob@rar, we are near Staines so would like to try and avoid the motorway but will still look into Hemel further. Just in from work so will have my tea(you'll have had yer tea?) and get back to you all

Cheers

GF
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gilberts Fridge, ah, if you're that end of the county(ies), another alternative is Sandown Park. I know nothing about that slope, but I when I looked at their web-site their race club came over as being rather intense (Chemmy's former club, big emphasis on providing on-snow champions, and doesn't have an adults section if you're interested in anything for yourself, Hamish Wink ). Berkshire/Bracknell is probably your best bet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sandown Park is quirky. Short with a big (120 degree) left turn half-way down (about 9 seconds to complete the course compared to 11 at Aldershot, etc.).
SPS Race Club is very selective on who they take on, particularly after age 8 and it does see itself as a snow racing club with a dry slope attached.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well tea took a bit longer than expected. Once again thanks for all the help.

Will try for Aldershot and Bracknell as they are the best placed for us, I looked at Sandown and not sure it would suit my lad. It all looks very competitive even at a young age but still like fun. I plan if possible to take him 4 or 5 times to see if he likes it (and Iguess if the club like us)

I have contacted both so will keep you updated as to how we get on.

GrahamN, as for me its not something I thought of before, as with everyone time is tight but it might just keep me sane over the summer. Not sure how my 40 year old legs would hold up or my pride. I have not had my skiing critiqued in years rolling eyes But at the rate the kids are going Mrs GF and I have decided to take some lessons next trip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Several of our members, and most of the adults I see at races, are parents of junior racers. Aside from the fantastic effect it has on your personal skiing, it has a couple of side benefits. Firstly, it's a lot more interesting than spending hours stood at the side of the slope watching your nearest and dearest having fun charging down the slope. Secondly, once the fruit of your loins gets to racing at regional level, you're in danger of being roped in as a gate judge - unless you're on the start list youself Wink .

There are disadvantages and advantages to our setup. The main disadvantage is that, as we train at different times, you'd be spending about twice as much time at the slope. The very welcome advantage is that you don't get shown up in training by the disgustingly good 11 year olds (until you actually get to race and the dreadful reality is published for the world to see in the list of finishing times Sad ). At Berkshire the adults and juniors train together (I believe).

(And yes, I was trying to avoid being too pointed about Sandown).
snow report
Quote:

At Berkshire the adults and juniors train together (I believe).

True.
Quote:

fantastic effect it has on your personal skiing

Also true.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy