Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

If you can ski blue runs you can become a ski instructor

Poster: A snowHead
Was just doing some googling and came across this site

http://www.skiacademyswitzerland.com/index.php

then in the FAQ was this corker ....

3. What level do I need to be to enrol onto a SAS/RAS course?
Unlike many ski training providers we have a low entry level and this level reflects on the ability of our coaches to get the best out of the students and reach the standard required to pass the instructor qualifications. We do however, ask that students must be able to ski blue runs comfortably and with confidence.

Hmmmm ... outrageous statement ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been on BASI courses with some people on Ski Academy Switzerland gap courses. Not all of them were at the standard to pass BASI L1.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I wonder if it is a typo as the following is taken from their PDF brochure :

3. What level do I need to be to enrol onto a SAS/RAScourse?
Unlike many ski training providers we have a low entry level and this level reflects on the ability of
our coaches to get the best out of the students and reach the standard required to pass the
instructor qualifications. We do however, ask that students must be able to ski or ride red runs
comfortably and with confidence.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are there any 'introductory' ski instruction courses where you actually have to be a pretty decent skier to attend? wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Aren't they saying that's the entry level for the training course?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
masmith, I thought for a minute there I was qualified to start instructing.. but I see from the typo amendment.. that my dreams are now shattered... wink Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
To be fair, the point of stuff like CSIA1 is that you don't have to be that great a skier to start teaching... for teaching beginner to intermediate skiers (up to getting them parrallel), it's much more about how you teach, so long as you can demo the low end stuff reasonably well...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
masmith, Although it is Switzerland, it is talking about US qualifications, and close association with US ski schools. Perhaps they originally meant US Blue runs, and corrected it to European Reds in the pdf while missing the FAQ?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
For our BASI L1 we had to ski at a reasonable standard at a personal level as well as being able to demonstrate pretty good Central Theme (beginner through to rough parallel turns) progression. Personal performance work included decent short radius turns on black pistes and fast, carved GS javelins on blues, plus some rudimentary bumps.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, Yes, I think that is what they are saying. So if you can ski blue runs (or red, depending on which version you are reading) you can begin training to become a ski instructor. I had no idea that such little ski/knowledge or experience was required to begin on the teaching ladder. Comes as a huge surpirse to see this, if it is so. I could sort of accept the red run version, but I would have expected any prospective instructor (or trainee instructor) to satisfty those conditions on black pistes ... ??
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
alex_heney wrote:
masmith, Although it is Switzerland, it is talking about US qualifications, and close association with US ski schools. Perhaps they originally meant US Blue runs, and corrected it to European Reds in the pdf while missing the FAQ?

that appears to be a fair deduction
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Their website is a bit painful, but as far as I can tell the minimum course length is 4 weeks too, and 11 is the standard. I'd really of thought a 4 week course can get anyone through a level 1... Nonstop do their CSIA1 on week 6 I think, and afaik basi/csia1 aren't too different.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Famousley on Natives there was a chap who accepted a job as a ski guide/host who couldn't actually ski and posted asking if anyone knew how to learn to ski quickly Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i have a couple of 'ski instructor' friends who passed level 1 in Canada. 5 years later neither can ski bumps or powder. They did some instructing, but weren't allowed to free ski in their instructor jackets! They gave up after a couple of years - they were good at teaching beginners but reading between the lines I think they were looked down on by their ski instructor compardres. One tried Level 2 - failed twice. That was the end.

Both ski do nicely shaped turns on blue/red groomers tho Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gortonator, to be fair, freeskiing in uniform is pretty lame, and usually a pain in the back bottom since you have to be on best behavior and you just know everyone's watching... (apparently the chance of being sued goes up 10x too - gotta love working in north america!)
snow conditions
I got sick of all the CSIA 1/Ski Le Gap kids who used to turn up on our university trips thinking they were the dog's danglies but couldn't ski for the brown smelly stuff. How can you spend 11 weeks being coached and still ski worse than most Billys?
ski holidays
The best thing is to get a BASI (or other governing body) trainer to check out your skiing before investing in a course. It's 34 years since I did BASI 3 (on the old system) and nobody joined the course unless they were competent on black runs. We spent time working on the West Wall of the Coire Cas (which is a steep pitch) and doing compression turns etc.

I did plenty of teaching after that, but it didn't cover bump skiing, powder, steep terrain.

The qualifying standard may be different now. A high proportion of ski teaching is done on green/blue runs, because many people stop learning when they've got to parallel standard. A teacher who's competent at demonstrating up to parallel level on those gradients could be a very good teacher. The tougher stuff isn't necessarily relevant. As I say, it's best to be sure by consulting with someone who trains ski instructors to have a look at your skiing.
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
The best thing is to get a BASI (or other governing body) trainer to check out your skiing before investing in a course.

Very good advice.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, trust me, if you want to build a hatred of trust fund kids... Fernie is a fine place to do it. Grr. I've had a few conversations that went something like "I'm a ski instructor!" - oh cool, where do you work? "What do you mean?"

rolling eyes

Half of the reason I'm so determined to push for my CSIA3 is just to be more qualified than team gap year...
snow conditions
its true......a friend of a friend is going to the jasper centre of excllence in january to do his instructor course over 12 weeks with the canadian rockies academy at a cost of £5.5k(includes season ski pass,half board lodging,tutoring,exam fees)....he will become a fully qualified instructor at the end of this period (99% pass rate) AFAIK it is an internationally recognised qualification...the only criteria is that you can negotiate a blue run..this guy has skied for 2 days in glencoe and is a $h!t skier (his words) and can just about manage a blue.....but off he is going...and an instructor he will be....its a fu*king joke.....

okbye
snow conditions
As I understand it to do Ski Le Gap (and perhaps some other Canadian based gap courses) you don't even have to be able to ski at the start, you can be a complete beginner!! I appreciate the "you don't have to be able to ski that well to teach beginners" argument, but at the same time a ski instructor should be aspirational.

I've seen some BASI L1s teaching in the Alps (one particular example springs to mind) and it was really shocking just how badly some of them ski... The qualification is for teaching on artifical slopes in the UK, and they should stick to that.
snow conditions
You can do the same sort of thing in sailing - you can do a 3 months course with no experience at all, as in the following extract from the UK Sailing Academy:

Quote:
Course Overview

The course provides the training, practical experience and preparation for gaining a commercially endorsed RYA/MCA Yachtmaster (Offshore) certificate. Successful graduates are able to work on a variety of sailing yachts, including charter skipper, flotilla skipper, or corporate day sailing.

This course provides a fast and effective way to enter the industry on vessels under 24m. It is also suitable for those looking to gain their RYA Yachtmaster with a view to skippering their own family yacht.

Pre-requisite experience

None required.
Duration

12 weeks
Qualify for skippering your own yacht, working with charter or flotilla companies, short haul deliveries, or teaching yachting if combined with a RYA Cruising Instructor course.

http://www.uksa.org/career/y_commercial_yachtmaster.asp

It would be a lot to take on board in 3 months, but no doubt some keen and bright people could do it. After all, didn't one the Royal Chappies (keen, no doubt, but not super-bright) do a 10 day course in helicopter flying recently then hop off to see the girlfriend?
ski holidays
snowpatrol, are you RacoonFace on tgr? There's nothing particularly wrong with the 3 month ish intense courses IMO, they do get a *lot* of tuition (4 days of full day lessons a week for 11 weeks for Nonstop, I think I'd actually go crazy).

beanie1, I agree that instructors should be aspirational, but here's a good argument on Epicski about the whole "teaching with an easy qualification" issue... http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/81178/too-newbie-for-csia-l1 (post 9 onwards)
snow report
DaveC wrote:
snowpatrol, are you RacoonFace on tgr?

doubt it - racoonface is quite funny, albeit in a slightly retarted way. the "okbye" is a bit of a weird schtick to borrow though
latest report
DaveC, I agree entirely with the argument (BASI is after all a progressive system) and I'd never suggest you'd need to be able to be an ISTD to start teaching people. I just sometimes feel the bar is set a little too low... to teach in the mountains certainly, the whole club instructor for UK slopes is a different argument.
snow report
For what it's worth, skiing isn't the only sport that requires lower levels than you might expect to become an instructor.

Someone might correct me here, but I believe in order to become a Windsurfing instructor (teaching beginners), the required skill level is to have RYA level 2 course under your belt.

To put this in context, I have been on only 3 weeks worth of Mark Warner hols, where I have started to learn how to windsurf and am now up to my RYA level 2 (planing) - therefore I am technically at a level where I could look at training to be instructor.

It doesn't seem enough experience, does it?

Having said that, just because your brilliant at something doesn't guarantee to you'll become a good teacher - so maybe there's nothing wrong with this approach.

A quick caviat: my information is as I was given by my last windsurf instructor. So if I've got it wrong - don't shoot me!
snow conditions
I've started another thread on a similar topic. Asking how many weeks experience BASI instructors had before doing their L1.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1225845#1225845
snow conditions
I'd guess that the general perception of instructors is that they're all put on the same pedestal - since beginners won't be able to tell the difference between a level 1 and ISTD, and high end skiiers taking lessons will likely get ISIA/ISTDs - so all instructors tend to ski better than their class, luckily Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DaveC, unfortunately that wasn't the case somewhere i worked this season... I saw evidence of the worst skiing and teaching from an instructor I have ever experienced. However I shan't go into details here!
snow report
DaveC wrote:
so all instructors tend to ski better than their class, luckily Smile

if it doesn't work out that way, you can always call yourself a "coach" wink
snow report
beanie1, I worked with a couple of "unique" people for sure... I feel that's more the ski schools fault than the certs tho?

Arno, I fully hope to "coach" some kids next year Very Happy
ski holidays
DaveC, a bit of both in my view. he knew full well he was not even qualified to teach in the mountains.
latest report
I can totally accept this. In order to be a good instructor, you need to be very good at coaching. You do not necessarily need to be good at the thing you're coaching, you just need to be very good at coaching it...

Think of top level sports coaches. Yes some of them are former champions in their fields but definitely not all of them. Pretty sure Lewis Hamilton's coach would be eclipsed by Lewis on a racetrack for example...

However, with skiing, if someone is an expert at both skiing and coaching (as I'm sure our resident snowhead instructors are) then I would suggest they would make the best instructors, Being able to demonstrate technique as well as explaining must be a plus point...
latest report
queen bodecia,
Quote:

Pretty sure Lewis Hamilton's coach would be eclipsed by Lewis on a racetrack for example...

i'm sure he's not. But I'm sure he's also a considerably better driver than most drivers in the world.
snow report
beanie1, more than likely. But the point is, you can be a fabulous and fearless skier and a rubbish coach. The combination of both skills would be preferable obviously, but I would rate the coaching ability above the activity ability myself...

For example, I train many of my less experienced colleagues. I am by no means the best designer in my company, but without blowing my own trumpet too much, I am probably the best coach. I certainly seem to achieve the best results...
ski holidays
queen bodecia,
I agree.

You may be a good coach, and not the best designer, but I'm sure you're a good and experienced designer, and not a bad and inexperienced one! wink
latest report
beanie1, fair point... Very Happy
snow report
Teaching involves a lot of demoing of what you want your students to do; you should have a good technical understanding of how skiing works; what the progression is and to have developed a "good eye" to see what your students are doing when you watch them ski. IMO none of that comes from instructors being just one page ahead of their students in the skiing textbook, no matter how good their coaching/teaching skills. Although I have taught on the mountain with my L2, because the system allows it, I'm not entirely confident that it's a high enough standard of qualification to be let loose without working in tandem with a more highly qualified instructor. I think ISIA is a decent starting point, and I wouldn't trust my skiing with anything less than that.
snow report
There's always the school of thought that suggests a seriously competent skier might also be seriously bored if they had to spend their days leading crocodiles of pre-school pizza-turning kids down a green run.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, you've got to enjoy teaching as much as, if not more than, skiing. Otherwise I think you're right if you have a diet composed entirely of beginners.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy