Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Polar X: how quickly to scrape after a hot wax?

Poster: A snowHead
Waxing skis later today for indoor use. How quickly should I scrape Polar X after a hot wax? I vaguely recall that it shouldn't be allowed to fully cool because it's so hard to scrape. Is this a good idea?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, top tip... get some grease paper that you would use when baking and put it between your iron and the polar wax. it seems to give a more uniform finish and you dont really need to scrape then.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skimottaret, ta, that's helpful.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, I like skimottaret, 's tip.. I normally hot scrape some base wax, before applying the Polar-X.. this gets the base nice and hot. I can then leave 'til it's cold. I mostly don't scrape of much - but I do sharpen my scraper beforehand.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, I wouldn't use Polar-X indoors, I just wax the same as I would do for outdoor artificial snow.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs wrote:
rob@rar, I wouldn't use Polar-X indoors, I just wax the same as I would do for outdoor artificial snow.

Why's that? It's the only wax I have at the UK at the moment (bought for skiing on plastic).
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, You could pop into one of your favourite shops on the way there. wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gsb wrote:
rob@rar, You could pop into one of your favourite shops on the way there. wink

Don't tempt me! I have a big supply of PolarX so I'll get through that before visiting Uncle Terry.

skimottaret, good tip about the backing parchment - works a treat.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob@rar, I was told by the resident ski tuning oracle, Herr Spyderjon, that Polar-x is well suited for indoors as the snow crystals can in some cases be almost as agressive as plastic, Tamworth being a good example of white sand. Ok at Hemel, the snow will almost certainly be better, but still I'm sure Polar-x will fit the bill. I do have some Swix wax for snowdomes and indoor skiing, but to be honest with you it's probably just a marketing ploy on the part of Swix

And to answer your original question, when I wax with Polar-x I invariably do not leave it to go completely cold - ok, don't scrape off as soon as a hot scrape, but equally do not let it go fully cold as you'll need a chisel to take it off! And as ski, said, make sure the ole scraper is nice and sharp
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I use Polar-X for outdoors (and CH4 for plastic), so I'd do what rjs says and use the same as for outdoor snow, i.e. Polar-X Wink

I find that leaving it just the length of time for me to wax the other ski - i.e. about 5 minutes - is just about enough cooling. Still feels slightly warm to the touch, but not soft. You'll soon know if it's not cool enough as the scrapings stick to the exposed surface - when it's cool enough they just brush off.

Last night I had my tea after putting some CH4 on and went back to scrape it afterwards - big mistake, as the stuff was like concrete and chipped off horribly. Had to basically reheat it and virtually start again before I could get anything like a sensible surface. (CH4 does go a fair bit harder than Polar-X though)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm waxing my skis with polar-x this eve so this thread came just in time. I'll go for a hot(ish) scrape.

How long does it last skiing on snowdome snow/sand?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, now that you've skied Hemel several times, how are the ole ski bases holding up after using Polar-X?

Thinking of giving my planks a once over before the 6th. Currently have Dominator Zoom (lime green) on them at the mo - as recommended by Spyderjon for variable snow conditions. But as I'm going to be at Hemel of the 6th, followed by a week of BASI training at Tamworth a short time after, I'm thinking of getting some Polar-X into the bases to all least give them a fighting chance

Going to give skimottaret's grease proof paper trick a go too
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied Hemel all day last weekend. Polax-X and Zardoz Not-wax skis worked really well bases were lovely at end of the day the snow there really is very good.
Skied in Tamworth yesterday. I did a lot of one leg runs and one ski in particular has very shiny, highly polished, structureless patches on it. I wonder if this is from the travelator as the conveyor clearly moves faster than the skis which is even more noticable when only on riding one ski. Anyone else experienced this?????
It does look like it will brush or hot scrape out though.
The snow was very slow compared to previous visits. It looked like it could use a fresh dump. I also think Tamworth skis better when its busy but this may be just cause when I ve seen it busy its had fresher snow.
However it was cheap and quiet.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RPF, I ski Tamworth quite a bit as I'm only 20 mins down the road in Sutton Coldfield. I find that 2 or 3 hours at Tamworth takes more out of the bases than a week of skiing on the real slopes. Don't know if it's the snow (or white sand as some people call it) or the travelator, or in fact a combination of the two.

I've taken the advice from rob@rar, GrahamN, and others and have started to use Polar-X on my skies at Tamworth, but even still they take a hammering. Traditionally I scrape them after waxing as I like that 'quick out of the box feel' but in future at Tamworth I will use skimottaret's trick with the grease proof paper to get a reasonably smooth base and then forget the scraping. I've a week at Tamworth at the end of June (my BASI course) so this will be the acid test on how they hold up - don't want to spend every evening waxing my skis when I should be doing my homework!

It will be interestting to see how Hemel compares - I'm expecting from your's and everyone else's comments that it will be far far better

When you skied at Tamworth on Thurs, was there a large patch of sheet ice at the top that ran parallel to the travelator? When I was there a week ago, due to either a change in outside temp or a malfunction, there was a patch of sheet ice that was 5ft wide and about 30ft long that most were avoiding like the plague. I was in a group lesson with Andy Jerram (BASI trainer/instructor) and he purposesly said, "right guys, we'll take advantage of the ice. I want you to ski down it, skid-turning side to side, making sure you stay on the ice!"......thanks Andy! wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sleipnir, There was a large brown icey patch just above the turn right in the middle covering the width of the slope but the bit you described was at least covered up. The snow was thin and in one place I could see a little concrete. The ice didnt bother me much it was more the slowness it was kind if like sticky sand. I have definitely seen better snow here in the past. I dont want to complain too much as it is otherwise good value and convenient for me.
ski holidays
Quote:

I dont want to complain too much as it is otherwise good value and convenient for me

That's the way I look at it RPF, - it could be a lot better, but as it's on my doorstep and in the summer, quiet and good value, I shouldn't moan too much
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy