Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What kind of fit can a bootfitter work with?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I want to be able to provide the best feedback possible when I am in with a bootfitter so there are a lot of things I think I should know before going.

When trying on boots what is workable and resolvable and what is not? Is there such thing as too many tight spaces to adapt to? What about wrong places to try to fix? When should you move on to another boot and when should you work with a boot? Is there one area that is most important when judging the fit of a boot such as the heel, instep or cuff? Finally are some manufacturers and models more and less easily strecthed and modified or are all boots easily modiified without any worries of changing the flex or boot ramp angles or other elements that might affect the boots performance?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JPSkier, IME a good boot fitter will only let you near boots suitable for your foot shape. This saves you trying on every thing. The other thing they can do is talk you through what you are feeling in new boots. They will feel too tight at first. But this is just the liner before it packs out. If the boot is too comfortable in the shop the liner will pack out and will provide no support in no time at all I've done it twice this year at great expense Embarassed. Even a boot that feels snug can be too big so shell check EVERY boot and never ever compromise on this if the shell check is wrong its gonna cost you. Bootfitters can deal with a slightly small boot but can do little if its too big as I said Ive made this mistake twice Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad . If you dont know your bootfitter make sure you confirm the shell check is done right. My second pair of boots were aledgedly ok when shell checked by the big retailer who sold them to me. A real bootfitter classed them as a size to big. These boots were skiable for less than a week. Twisted Evil

You could ask snowHead's to reccomend good boot fitters in your area so you can be sure of getting good service.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the confirmation of why I think knowing more than I do would be worthwhile. Like you I have made a few purchases working with what I thought were good boot fitters but as it turns out they can only evaluate what I feedback to them much like seeing a doctor and apparently my feedabck was inadequate because I am looking for another pair of boots third year in a row.

IMO even the best doctor cannot help if you do not give the right feedback. The difference I find between one consultant and another is their ability to ask questions and zero in on the most important elements. That said, I have not been fortunate to find an inquisitive enough bootfitter and until I do I would rather know what to say and focus on. Being informed can only help ensure that the best fit is achieved.

Don't get me wrong I am not wanting to be a bootfitter and am sure every bootfitter knows more than I do or ever will and there are a ton of incredibile bootfitters out there but I do not want to leave my next purchase entirely in the hands of another person. Should anyone be able to suggest a bootfitter that has a great selection of boots and experience catering to the freeride skier market I am looking for someone in Northern Vermont, New Hamphire or southern Quebec.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy