Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggest me a ski for next year - comprex, maybe?

Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys - this season, my skis pretty much stayed in the locker and I went out and hired some different ones. I tried the Dynastar Legend Fluid in 158cm - great fun on the soft snow and off the piste. I didn't get chance to try these on harder pistes (as there weren't any). I thought this ski was a touch soft but maybe that's why it performed well on the soft snow. I then tried the Nordica Hot Rod Jet Fuel in 162cm - great fun everywhere but just a touch 'cumbersome' if that makes sense. I don't really know what the correct length is for me, for an all mountain ski, but I do find my Volkls too short at 154cm. I do like the skis to have a good edge grip and on piste I like to travel at a reasonable speed at be able to throw in some quick short turns. (Although my speed might be slow compared to some of you guys). I've done about 16weeks now and am heading off the intermediate plateau in the right direction. Toofy Grin
p.s. I'm 5foot 5.5in and weigh 59kg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Come on guys Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David Murdoch wrote:
Nordica Dobermann WC SL in 165cm

SMALLZOOKEEPER/DaveC wrote:
Something with a 150mm+ waist

There, that's the stupid suggestions out of the way already Smile

Fluid Legends sound good to me. What proportion of piste/off-piste skiing are you doing, and do you mind taking it easy for the first hour of a day to let it warm up if it's rock-hard conditions?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sideshow_Bob, 50/50 and no I don't take it easy for the first hour Toofy Grin
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sideshow_Bob, I even downgraded my 138mm pow skis to 115mm! Smile

I have no useful input for this thread though...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Movement Spicy 163 cm
My wife has them, she's the same height as you, 55 kg and has similar level of experience. Ideal dimensions and stiffness for 50/50 use.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
erica2004,

I have lost a reply to you..don't know where it went but it went something like this..

You are only concerned with overall footprint and for your stats around 160 lenght and upto 80mm or so waist..IMV.

If you don't like a long ski..for what ever reason..make it up with width but this becomes less an issue unless makiing faster turns in deeper snow.
75-80mm will be more than enough to make a turn in deep snow...will not even be an issue at boot height with little S type turns.

Where you want a bigger footprint is for faster lines and bigger more stable turns...

Spicy sounds good...
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sideshow_Bob, for a laydee, Mr Murdoch would never suggest a 165cm SL ski. Girls can get away with 155cm.

erica2004, length is somewhat (as in many other fields of human endeavour) less important than stiffness and user ability. SRSLY.

Movement make lovely skis. You might also find something like Rossi Bandit (yeah, yeah, I know) work well.

But frankly, the only way is to find yourself somewhere with snow and try lots of skis. Nothing anyone can say on here will determine whether you actually like what you're skiing on. You have to get out there and test them for yourself (ideallyy under typical-for-you conditions).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JT, Thanks - I'm sort of thinking between 160 and 165cm, so up to 80mm waist would be fine. under a new name, uktrailmonster, I'll try the Movement Spicy, although I've not seen these in Lech.
under a new name, Hate the Bandit, sorry (along with Burnin'Luv)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
erica2004, well that's a more revealing comment. Why d'you hate the Bandit (I assume you mean the ski rather than the CEO of Citigroup)? I don't like them either, but these things are personal...

If you think they're too easy, you need to step up a grade, if you think they're too hard, I recommend a champagne cocktail at the bar while you watch the skiers skiing... wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
under a new name, I find the bandit is just a nothingness ski - doesn't (for me) do anything well. Certainly nowhere near as good as the HR Jet Fuel. The Burnin' Luv has quite a dead feel for me. My Volkls are a lot livelier and bouncier. The Exclusive Legends were fairly lively, although they felt a little soft and lightweight.

I always finish my day with a 'bellini'. (after the glüwein)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
erica2004, yes, that's my opinion too. But I have quite strange opinions. Sounds like you might like "slalom"-esque skis rather than wider ones.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, keep plugging at it, you'll get her on Dobermann SL's (OK, so in 155)... I'd say in about 2 posts' time Wink.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
You say the jet fuel was cumbersome which I'm guessing means it was a bit too stiff for you but also like lively bouncy skis which usually comes from stiffer skis! For 50/50 ski I'd look in the 80-90mm width range. The 70-79 width range doesn't give you much more in the way of soft snow performance over dedicated piste skis.

Fischer Watea 84 - very well regarded, probably slightly biased to the soft snow. Does well with lighter weight people.

Volkl Aurora - Volkl's women specific all mountain ski, don't know much about it but worth a look

Volkl AC50 - slightly biased towards the groomed. May be too much ski for your weight unless you are aggressive

I'd also look at the Line Prophet 90 which has a good reputation for railing short turns on the groomed (16m radius) as well as good soft snow performance.

Despite it's width the Volkl Mantra also has a very good rep as an everyday ski but may be too stiff and turn radius maybe too big for what you want. It rewards good skiing.

If on the other hand you are after a go everywhere slalom ski as people seem to be suggesting look at the discontinued Atomic Metron B5. Wouldn't call it a 50/50 ski but fits the bill as an all-mountain slalom ski (as close as you can get anyway)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
erica2004, I skied the Jet Fuel last year and I owned the Modified from a couple of years ago, if you could get a pair of the Modifieds they would be perfect, it is one of my favourite ever skis! Not that I have skied LOADS. There are loads of skis up and down Noridcas Hot Rod line that are worth looking at...
ski holidays
narc, Cumbersome - felt heavy, not stiff.
ski holidays
narc wrote:

I'd also look at the Line Prophet 90 which has a good reputation for railing short turns on the groomed (16m radius) as well as good soft snow performance.

I ski the very similar Prophet 100 mainly off-piste or in very soft snow. It's a great ski, but I'm 87kg and 6'1" tall. At 59 kg you really don't need a 90+ mm ski for 50/50 on/off piste. I really can't imagine my wife making a turn on my Prophets, although they are 186 long.

But if you really want a fat ski relative to your weight, there is a women's version of the Prophet, the Celebrity, which is available in much shorter lengths and probably less stiff.

Still think the Spicy is the way to go for a relatively lightweight skier looking to ski all conditions.
latest report
uktrailmonster wrote:
narc wrote:

I ski the very similar Prophet 100 mainly off-piste or in very soft snow. It's a great ski, but I'm 87kg and 6'1" tall. At 59 kg you really don't need a 90+ mm ski for 50/50 on/off piste. I really can't imagine my wife making a turn on my Prophets, although they are 186 long.

But if you really want a fat ski relative to your weight, there is a women's version of the Prophet, the Celebrity, which is available in much shorter lengths and probably less stiff.

Still think the Spicy is the way to go for a relatively lightweight skier looking to ski all conditions.

Yes, celebrity may be a better choice.

I'm 65kg and had no problem at all with the prophets or even the dynastar mythic riders which have a rep as a fairly burly ski. I am a 5'10" guy though Smile
ski holidays
My RnD Mgr is 5.10 and 65kgs. His every day ski is 190cm and 128mm underfoot.

Damn did I just troll Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
erica2004, I bought some Volkl Auroras as mentioned by narc (not Auras, silly to have such simillar names) and skied on them for the first time at Easter. I knew very little about them other that what was advertised but seemed to tick my boxes. I'm same height as you, but heavier and got them in a 163 which was a jump up from my old Volkls which were only 156cm (mistake in retrospect rolling eyes )

Anyway, had a good few days on them (11) and although it took me several days to get used to the length, I am pretty happy with them and they did what they were supposed to, particularly grippy on ice, stable and great for cutting through crud. Short turns took longer to master but am sure this was due to the longer length as was getting much better as I got used to them. I'm only starting to put some turns in off piste, I did have a go and they were good for a couple of turns but the snow was incredibly tacky making it difficult for even the better off pisters I was with Little Angel So am looking forward to New Year to check this out.

http://www.volkl.com/ski/skis/AT4.php

oh and they are light to carry too Very Happy
ski holidays
Lou, That's interesting as I've just been looking on the Völkl site and I would be keen to try these. How long have you been skiing and what were your old Völkls?
I think I've narrowed it down to the Nordica Conquer, Movement Spicey, Völkl Aurora and Head Great One. Thanks!
snow report
erica2004, you will be lucky to find a ski shop with all 4 in stock to rent/test...
ski holidays
erica2004, I'm at about 13-14 weeks and wanted to get something to take me further! Apart from the first 6 weeks when I tried anything they gave me, I have generally stayed with Volkl and my ex-rentals are Volkl Attiva RT which I liked but just didn't give me the grip I wanted and therefore lost confidence on hard stuff. Those Volkls are 156cm so was slightly strange going up to 163 but not for long. I also liked the Tierra.

I had my Auroras with me when we were sorting out the boys skis in La Ros, the technician was quite interested in them and had a good look as had never seen before. He was quite impressed after checking out the flex etc but particularly with the bindings!

I will come clean and admit now that this purchase was made totally on gut feeling as I couldn't find a pair to try at Christmas in resort and Ellis Bingham didn't stock them so making a trip to Snowdome wasn't worth it. I did ask on here and although these skis are not well known there were a few helpful comments.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=48144
So against usual advice (and advice that I have given myself Embarassed ) I purchased without trying.

But it worked for me!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy