Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Modern classics

Poster: A snowHead
What skis of the current era consttitute modern classics that will be looked back on with the fondness people have for stuff like the Dynastar Course GS or SL.

My nominations:

Volkl Explosiv (though slightly long in the tooth still lives on in the Mantra)
D'star Legend Pro
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
K2 Enemy

Volant Spatula

Movement Goliath

Hmm, thought the Mantra was a very different ski to the old Explosiv tho??
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
the_doc, there is a ski called the Spatula? Laughing That is indeed a classic. Do the Ladel and the Wooden Spoon complete the range?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, on the right.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now THAT is a quiver I want!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
the_doc, a shop in London had brand new 189 toons at £250, a buddy of mine picked them up Mr. Green Mr. Green
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv, I love it - bonkers.... I never really got into water skiing myself...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
K2 Seth
Volkl Gotama

the_doc, why the Goliath? I'd like a pair myself but not sure it's quite revolutionary or popular enough to get "classic" rating
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How modern is modern? We did 'classic/influential' skis of the last 10 or so years recently.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, After a pr of Sluffs myself but Movement seem sold out in the UK...????

Maybe manufacturers have recalled stock and will re-send them next year as 'new'...

looking at the £ slide...????
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Would i be ridiculed for suggesting 1080s? They were pretty revolutionary in the whole freestyle ski thing and they did a pretty good job as an all mountain ski.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
fatbob wrote:
the fondness people have for stuff like the Dynastar Course GS .....

Ah memories, memories .... Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
el nombre, nope - you don't have to want to ski them yourself for them to be a classic (Seths wouldn't be right for me for example) - Pocket Rockets probably come into this category
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
K2 Fours. Bode used a pair of shop Fours and kicked back bottom across all disciplines at the Junior Olympics on a pair. Really opened people's eyes to shaped skis in racing.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hey ARNO, I guess if youre looking at popular or revolutionary then no not really a good candidate!! I just thought they were one of the sweetest skis I've ever put on, a 75% of the time do everything ski!

However P.R's!! OMG those things cost £15 to make, piece of poo-poo! Be more inclined to go for the K2 AK Enemy/Scratch BC from same era...jeez I really need to get a life...give me another beer someone...
ski holidays
the_doc, but PRs probably introduced more people to fat skis than any other ski (and no I have nothing to back that statement up)

other classics:

volkl snow ranger
rossi axiom
atomic powder plus
latest report
Scott Mission
latest report
K2 Extreme of yore

Sallie Superforce
Xscream
snow conditions
Olin Mark IV Comp
Volant Spatula
K2 Velocity
snow report
Carradan skis.....a true classic to sum up the economic boom years
ski holidays
JT wrote:
Arno, After a pr of Sluffs myself but Movement seem sold out in the UK...????

Maybe manufacturers have recalled stock and will re-send them next year as 'new'...

looking at the £ slide...????

try Rob in mountain spirit in Aviemore, not showing any on his site but he may have a pair http://www.mountainspirit.co.uk/. Telemark Pyrenees also usually have plenty of Movements if you want to import

my modern classics have to be movement gladiators, use then for piste-bashing, day touring and everything in between. WOuld like to try some of the black diamond skis sometime too
ski holidays
How about the XScream, must be a modernish classic, I remember plenty of intstructors on them when they first came out....
ski holidays
barry,

I have been through the sites and they all say out of stock...
I will call direct them tho

Thanks
ski holidays
I think the definition of modern classic must include an element of standing the test of time..

Thus popularity is not a deciding factor e.g. Pocket Rocket extremely popular but viewed as a bit of an embarassment by many former owners who've outgrown them.

Equally influence alone might not make them enough - take Line Mothership Ti/Karhu Jak - the template for the Seth Pistol and that generational type of ski but not widespread enough to truly endure.

The Spatula despite its niche status might qualify as indeed could some of the cream of modern piste skis - Head Supershape Magnum maybe?
snow report
Quote:
Head Supershape Magnum maybe?

Give it four or five years and no-one will remember them NehNeh
snow report
I have never even seen a pair but the DPS 120 stands out for me. The straightish sidecut + tip rocker combo has more widespread application than full reverse/reverse of the Spat (not that the Spat isn't a key forerunner of many things I cannot afford for next season). It'll be interesting to see who goes further down this route rather than just bolting rocker on to standard fat ski shapes.
snow conditions
gorilla, if the use of carbon in skis becomes more widespread, dps really would be trailblazers
i have a pair of 120s in my attic which are going to get more use next season Cool
snow report
Arno, do you have more pairs than rob@rar? Bet it's a close-run thing...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy