Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What if the season never ended?

Poster: A snowHead
Reading youstupidboys plans to visit South America got me feeling all wistful (again) for the snow. Sad

Has anyone ever followed the season around the world? It sounds like a dream, but I wonder if you ever reach a point where you need to get away from the snow and the mountains and the fresh air and clear skies and the feeling of wellness... who am I kidding, it sounds brilliant!!! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andyph wrote:
Reading youstupidboys plans to visit South America got me feeling all wistful (again) for the snow. Sad

Has anyone ever followed the season around the world? It sounds like a dream, but I wonder if you ever reach a point where you need to get away from the snow and the mountains and the fresh air and clear skies and the feeling of wellness... who am I kidding, it sounds brilliant!!! Madeye-Smiley

Nah it'd get boring after a while even if you had enough money to shift resorts every 3 weeks or so...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, but it lost its thrill nowadays as anywhere you go is just like the place you let bejhind in Europe, US i.e no adventure.
South America used to be an adventure 20 yrs ago but now its like just jumping into any western resort.

The season never ends, where you been?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Come off it stanton, if you travel any reasonable distance east or south and the altitude exceeds 2m it's nothing like the place you left behind. Or any moderately tall building wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Even in Europe, when you can ski every day (dec to May) you don't............ you pick your days and ski those.

I think anyone would get bored even if they did follow the winters.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's half the point, marcellus, travelling around the world not just to follow the winter but to experience different places. Or are you saying that fondue is the great leveller?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's been done.

Fairly famously by Arnie Wilson, who skied every day in 1994, and wrote a book about it.
http://www.arniewilson.com/bio.html

At the time, that was a record for number of consecutive days skiing, but that has since been beaten
http://www.timesargus.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060821/NEWS/608210336/1002/NEWS01
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You would get bored if you stuck to groomers all the time. That gets boring after 2 days, let alone a year. The pro riders ski year-round and don't find it boring. Why? They keep pushing themselves.

I think this talk of being boredom only applies to those that don't feel the need to push themselves, for whichever quite possibly legitimate reasons.

To OP: I definately want to do this... Once I get the money.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
alex_heney, wasn't there some kind of tragedy with the girl Wilson went round the world with? I thought it was much earlier than 1994 - he seems to have been pontificating about skiing forever and a day and then some! Sorry if he is here under another name, but he and Peter Hardy (Torygraph) drive me up the wall with their articles. such a narrow focus and bias - France or North America no where else exists ...............!

Sue wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The season ends? Shocked

I had my first race of the summer season last Sunday, the second one comes up this Sunday. The racing season runs through until October, and I'll be skiing at least twice a week until then (and some weeks it's going to be four times!). Then it's time for a week or long weekend on a glacier, before getting back onto the longer stuff in December again. When's the time off?

Oh and there's a job to do somewhere in between all that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue wrote:
alex_heney, wasn't there some kind of tragedy with the girl Wilson went round the world with?

Yes, she died in an avalanche at La Grave a few months later.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You WILL reach a point that it becomes routine. Though probably not the first year. So, if you can afford it, do it.

If you do get bored after a few years, you can always take up knitting... or better, cycling. And follow the season (of summer) round the world. Wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I should think a year would be enough!

Seems the kind of thing you could do if you were retired, or single, or living on an inheritance etc. Back in the real world, it doesn't seem so likely, which is kind of sad... Sad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing every day doesnt mean you have to ski all day. If your skiing Nov-May 1-2hrs a day is enough Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I should think a year would be enough!

There's a difference between living and holidaying. Let's talk retirement. After all, there are plenty of people who live somewhere like the Highlands, or the Dales, or Cornwall, for 20 years and enjoy activities like walking, sailing, painting, music, bridge, sex, cooking, reading the newspapers. What's the difference doing it in the mountains and adding skiing or snowboarding to the mix? You just don't expect every day to be packed full of adrenaline pumping excitement. Just the days you do cooking. wink
latest report
pam w, I know of people who have retired to be near the sea and yet never venture to the beach or water Confused
My Great Aunt who lived in a nursing home in Bournemouth back in the 1970's hadn't been to the seafront for 20+ years.
ski holidays
I guess it's possible to get bored with surfing?
snow conditions
If it never ended we'd have to pay full price for new gear all year Confused
latest report
Quote:

Think it was a fall in one of the couloirs (which also injured Peter Hardy).

I actually find Arnie Wilson one of the more readable ski journalists. Adam Ruck when he was writing was the best, could always put a new slant on any resort and had a way with words.
snow conditions
A fair number of instructors do back to back seasons in the northern/soutern hemisphere, but most of them can't do it for more than a few years. A friend of mine did it, snowhead Mad Dog. To ski every day would take a serious effort and really isn't normally possible because of travelling.
ski holidays
andyph, if the season never ended? Sail too close to the wind anyway thanks to love for skiing/mountains, so probably safer to leave as is for me or would be declared bankrupt. Summer is a time to concentrate on extra hours at work Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue wrote:
alex_heney, wasn't there some kind of tragedy with the girl Wilson went round the world with? I thought it was much earlier than 1994 - he seems to have been pontificating about skiing forever and a day and then some! Sorry if he is here under another name, but he and Peter Hardy (Torygraph) drive me up the wall with their articles. such a narrow focus and bias - France or North America no where else exists

he does post occassionally on snowheads, normally to respond to criticisms. I guess they write what sells copy in the Sunday supplements.

I ski around 8-9 months in the year, it is good to have a break but that's ski touring so you can be talking about getting up at 2.30am in the early summer and climbing 1500-2000 meters. I think psychologically most people need a break from that.
snow report
How could he possibly ski EVERY day. How does travel between resorts allow for this? Of did he stick to the alps and have his own helicopter?
latest report
Quote:

Even in Europe, when you can ski every day (dec to May) you don't............ you pick your days and ski those.

Yeah, that'll be because we all would much rather go to work every day than go skiing.... rolling eyes
I can't believe there's anyone (on this forum especially) who wouldn't ski every day if they could (except for snowboarders that is....Toofy Grin )
snow report
Doesn't necessarily have to be a whole day or lift served I wouldn't have thought which would make it pretty easy and give you plenty time to travel.
snow report
Quote:

wasn't there some kind of tragedy with the girl Wilson went round the world with?

In reply to earlier postings which indicate that shw was killed, I think that's why his book was callled "Tears on the Snow." Haven't read it, though would like to. I understand it's long out of print??
snow conditions
mountainaddict wrote:
I can't believe there's anyone (on this forum especially) who wouldn't ski every day if they could (except for snowboarders that is....Toofy Grin )

There have been plenty of days this season where I could have skied but didn't. You need rest days no matter how fit you are.
ski holidays
T Bar wrote:
Quote:

Think it was a fall in one of the couloirs (which also injured Peter Hardy).

I actually find Arnie Wilson one of the more readable ski journalists. Adam Ruck when he was writing was the best, could always put a new slant on any resort and had a way with words.

Yes, you are right. It was a fall, not an avalanche.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fergus wrote:
How could he possibly ski EVERY day. How does travel between resorts allow for this? Of did he stick to the alps and have his own helicopter?

No, he travelled around the world to do it - 13 countries.

And took advantage of the international date line, and sometimes skied in the middle of the night.
ski holidays
That would be a seriously tiring year. Would still be awesome though.
latest report
Think I'd get very bored with a 365 day winter. It was wonderful as we descended from winter in Val T to summer in the valley this afternoon.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, Anyone who can ski most days, probably wouldn't. It's a completely different mindset. When it's something you save up for, look forward to and so on each day, regardless of how rough the weather, is special. this feeling does go away though, but you should not confuse this with not enjoying skiing. I wouldn't, if I wasn't getting paid, go up on bad weather days. I can't ski all day and amuse myself, but that doesn't mean to say I don't still enjoy it (I like teaching better), and that I don't look foward to 'my' run down at the end of the day. Mind you, I've been doing it for more than 35 years. Shocked
latest report
I think this is what you are looking for.

http://www.turns-all-year.com/
ski holidays
I have been skiing for a bout 5 years and i still would love to get out on snow every day. Although i think the ESF guys have it about right with half the year doing something else like being a mountain guide.
They even get to smoke fags and have a hip flask while staying fit. Bring on the red jacket!
ski holidays
ph, you've been skiing for 5 years in Nantwich! Good going.
snow report
It might well have been stoke ski centre but 5 years never the less.
Its grey old and you get a lovely view of Asda from the slope.
snow report
ph wrote:
i think the ESF guys have it about right with half the year doing something else like being a mountain guide.

I think you mean "half the year doing something else like working in a factory"
snow report
ph, If they were mountain guides they'd do that in winter too. Some have special other sports work, but most of the ones that I know do building and council work in the summer. BTW it's not just ESF - there are brits out here all year too.
snow conditions
never ending season..? im not sure i could fit that much beer in!!
ski holidays
CANV CANVINGTON, Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy