Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help - Canada trip 2010 advice - picky family...grrr...

Poster: A snowHead
So I know there have been lots of threads about Canada but a lot of sifting through hasn't really helped me that much so thought I would start my own Very Happy

Here goes - want to do a ski trip to canada next year (has to be canada, can't be USA cos of visa issues for the OH) - so there will be me and the (by then)hubby, my brother and his girlfriend and my mum and dad (without giving too much away, ages in there will range from 30-67 Twisted Evil !). Dad and brother are excellent skiers, the steeper and bumpier it is the happier they are, I am a couple of steps down, my OH and my brother's gf have both only done a few weeks skiing but have both done a black and are happy to try and improve their skiing down most terrain (one is braver than the other!) and mum is a good skier but a bit nervous. So basically I could have summarised that by saying we have a whole range from early intermediate(ish) to bloody good Toofy Grin so need a good range of terrain. Where it gets tricky is that mum and brother's gf don't want it to be too cold (as in not -20 cold!), and they want to find nice self catering accomodation, preferably near enough the slopes not to have a big bus ride to get to the skiing as mum and brother's gf often don't ski the whole day. oh, and they want everyone to have a double bedroom! or at least twin bedroom - no bunks or someone sleeping on sofabed in lounge rolling eyes

I have previously been to Whistler and Banff - figured Whistler is pretty much a no go cos of the olympics (probly looking at mid-late Feb or early March), and Banff falls down on the long trip to the slopes and the fact that I stupidly told them that when I went the warmest it got in the village was -20 wink (tho would probably be my personal choice).

I am inclined to think this may be an impossible task to please everyone but if anyone has any suggestions for places that will at least tick most of the boxes then that will give me something to work with - to give an idea the last 4 years eveyone has gone to Meribel (tho not me and the OH this year cos of wedding to pay for!) - but I refuse to go back next year cos I just think it is extortionate, especially with the Euro as it is. But it does mean they have been spoiled by having the massive 3V area to play in and are now a bit picky rolling eyes
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fernie - stay at the Grizz Inn , decent sized SC appartments right on the hill. You'll need a car or bus into town though for decent groceries and a break form the very limited nightlife.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
vivski, I don't think you can 100% say for certain that anywhere you go in Canada you are going to avoid -20 weather. It was -6 and snowing in Calgary the other day Laughing Good luck keeping everyone happy!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
vivski, Obviously the time you go will affect the temp. I've been to Banff in Feb when it's been -20 and lower, but in 6 years at Easter it never got anywhere near that cold, the cold was never a problem. The trip to the slopes is more of a problem. I don't blame them for not wanting to use a bus (although the service in Banff was excellent); we always hired a car. For a group your size, you could have two cars, for flexibility, with the bus as a back up. If you have party members who might not ski all day, every day, Banff is a top spot, as you know. A car will also give you the chance to ski elsewhere easily (such as Fortress and Nakiska as well as LL and Norquay).

Panorama is a possiblilty; it's is not a huge resort, and it's in the middle of nowhere, but it has a very good range of skiing, heliskiing on the doorstep and is ski in ski out. You could do a week in Panoram and a wek in Banff.

You could take the, 'This is where I'm going, please yourselves.' approach, of course.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A further thought - if the 3V is their benchmark then save yourself hassle by staying in Europe if Whistler is out of the question. Simply not the same size of area or no of cruiser runs available in any single N American resort. Most interior BC resorts are not too cold most of the time annd have a great range of terrain inbounds (& some truly worldclass stuff outside the ropes) but very few have mile after mile of motorway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

if the 3V is their benchmark then save yourself hassle by staying in Europe if Whistler is out of the question.

and if you're bothered by the cost of Meribel (don't blame you) are you sure you'll get a Canadian holiday cheaper?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w, for 2 weeks in a decent hotel you'd have to try hard not to do better in Canada than 3V, I think. for 1 week in a small apartment, 3V will be cheaper.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
richmond, is that reall right? I'm surprised. The rock bottom Crystal Hotel offering in Fernie, for 2 adults in basic room with 13 days lift pass is £3K, room only. Adding all drinks and meals, and Canadian taxes and tips, doesn't exactly make it a cheap holiday and I doubt if that's what you'd call a "decent hotel". I would have thought you could get a comparable deal from a catered chalet in the 3V, if you avoided the most expensive spots. With only lunches on the slopes to buy. For example Chalet Rikiki with "Le Ski" (I've stayed there - very nice chalet, super food, piste-side in 1650) would cost £2860 for 2 adults for the chalet for 2 weeks, plus lunches and lift pass.

I'm comparing apples and pears really - rock bottom Crystal with decent standard small chalet operator. Paying to get on a bus in Fernie - compared with doorstep skiing in Courchevel 1650. How much more would you pay for ski in/out in Canada?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Rock bottom hotel in Fernie would be the Super 8 (don't know if is a Crystal offering) which would still compare favourably to most chalets run by Crystal in say France. Plus discounting for non peak periods seems to be the norm. Lift passes aren't cheap though IMO unless you are unlucky the controlled terrain & snowfall generally make up for it. A pointless place to go for someone who wants restaurant to restaurant cruising however.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w, that is far too expensive IMO, you would need to be doing something pretty special to get a deal at that price and could be done far cheaper DIY ( I am gussing the ridiculous expensive of that is down to the charging of single supplements by the tour op).
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
arv, Puzzled single supplements?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, under occupancy supplements** for the most parts rooms in Canadian hotels are done on the basis of 4 sharing a room with 2 double beds. If this was not the case then it is just too expensive, Inghams are doing 2 weeks to Banff for about £700 per person next year (this would probably be subject to the supplements, mind).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
arv, that was a 2 person room, so there weren't any supplements. Doesn't sound a great hotel, mind - certainly not what Richmond had in mind, I think. The Virgin Atlantic deals were far more expensive, but looked a nice place. The low cost Banff Inghams trips are not exactly in a decent slopeside hotel and for £700 plus the cost of feeding yourself at the standard we enjoyed in the Chalet Rikiki for two weeks you could certainly get a reasonable deal in the 3 Valleys, chalet half board. We had such big breakfasts, and such enormous dinners, punctuated by a nice tea, that we scarcely needed anything at lunchtime. It's hard to compare like with like given the very different kinds of resorts but the suggestion that a hotel in Canada is definitely cheaper seems a bit far fetched. Plus, it's a helluva long way - only worth doing for someone who really will take advantage of the special features of Canadian skiing. For comparable cost (quite high, in both cases) you could get a good holiday in either place, so it's really a question of fighting it out between the "challenging terrain" members of the team and the "miles and miles of pistes on the doorstep" brigade.

snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I can't argue with that (as much as I'd like to wink ), aye it really isn't worth comparing!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, £3k sounds pricey for a cheap hotel in Canada, but there it is, I suppose. Probably a good deal less than twice that if you stick 4 in a room. If vivski is travelling outside school hols, DIY may well be cheaper, especially if he's happy to stay at not especially swish places (which will still be as good as most hotels in 3V).

I confess that the only comparisons I've done recently (last year actually, so things may have changed) are in Easter hols for a family of 4, comparing a very decent hotel in Canada (Banff, in particular), with pool and all mod cons, with OK hotels in large ski areas in Europe (including 3V but also others), for 2 weeks. Canada won hands down, the downside being that it was 4 to a (large) room (and we didn't have the time or the money for either).

There isn't much ski in ski out ski in Canada, Panorama is the only one I've been to, not expensive (there is variously priced accomodation). There's Whistler, of course, but I gather that can be fairly pricey. In Banff the bus comes with the lift pass (but I'd go for car hire), and in the case of Banff, what you lose in convenience you more than make up for in pleasantness of town compared to Courchevel 1650 or anywhere else in 3V (or indeed any ski resort I've been to in Europe) but that's subjective, of course.

In the end, you're paying for different ski experiences. I have no doubt that when we skied in Canada it gave us far better value for money, bearing in mind our requirements, than Europe would have done. We could not have afforded anything like such good hotels in the school hols for 2 weeks in Europe, and we wouldn't have had more or less queue free hols. People going at a different time of year, with different requirements might find the opposite (although I'd be surprised).
latest report
£3k isn't that pricy anywhere for 2 people skiing incl passes etc for a fortnight. If I budgeted or kept detailed track I reckon my skiing would easily end up costing £100 per day on snow, comfortably more if I eat in nice restaurants or have a thirst.

Doorstep skiing is Canada is a bit of a joke designed to part brainwashed Euros from their cash, not realising that the trade off is zero or low nightlife in a captive environment. Buses aren't crowded and hire cars are cheap (& fun if you know how to drive on snow).

Like for like a hotel of comparable size/quality/modernity will usually be cheaper in N America than Europe (even in whistler if you score a deal) & in some cases a respectable motel room can be had for the equivalent of a hostel bed in certain Euro resorts.
ski holidays
Ah! Have just read what the OP wants, which is nice self-catering accommodation, and definitely not sharing 4 to a bedroom, so maybe we should start again? wink Forget the hotels and catered chalets.
ski holidays
pam w, We (me and my better half )did Banff for 2 wks this January with Inghams.The cost was about £1.1K per head including 10 days lift pass, 3 days lessons, Bed and continental breakfast in a quite acceptable 3 star hotel. So your estimate of 3k seems quite high.
Admittedly we did get early booking discount and a 2 for 1 offer on lessons. I have to agree with richmond, about Banff compared to anywhere i've skiied in France(Espace Killy and Paradiski) the town is far more pleasant plus eating and drinking are about half the price and i didn't find the bus transfer a problem.I still like France But for a 2 week trip I'd choose Canada everytime for the quality of the experience and value.
latest report
pam w
Quote:
Ah! Have just read what the OP wants, which is nice self-catering accommodation, and definitely not sharing 4 to a bedroom, so maybe we should start again? Forget the hotels and catered chalets.,
Many Canadian Motels/ Hotels have suites or cabins with seperate bedrooms and cooking facilities so these could quite easyly fullfill the OP's requirements.
snow conditions
Thanks for all the advice guys - have made some progress explaining the bedroom per couple may not be possible but volunteered us to sleep on the sofabed in the lounge! Also bringing them round to the coldness aspect Very Happy
pam w, for the sort of thing they like to stay in in the 3V a brief search indicates that travel, accomm, lift passes will be fairly equicalent, if not slightly cheaper in Canada (self catering) - and the costs of food etc once you are there are cheaper (from my own and others' experience)

Picked up some brochures today to get ideas of what's available, wil lresume the intensive web research when I should be working on monday Toofy Grin but any more ideas, keep em coming! All appreciated Very Happy
ski holidays
vivski, if you book independently all the hotels in Banff (or at least most) offer you a range of rooms and don't charge for under occupancy, just a thought.
ski holidays
vivski, On our roadtrip this year around BC Smile whenever we booked into a hotel we were always offered either a King or two Queen beds, and guess what at - no extra charge Shocked We did have to take one room with two Queen beds as it was the only one left. We also got the Jacuzzi Suite at the normal reduced rate at a Holiday Inn as that was the last room too Madeye-Smiley

Its only a money making scheme run by the Tour Ops, and who would want to share a room with another couple Shocked
snow report
pam w wrote:
Ah! Have just read what the OP wants
Cheat.
snow report
You don't say when you want to go, and that makes a difference as far as likelyhood of prolonged cold periods.

I would go two weeks two resorts- either a SIlver star /Big White combo or a Fernie/ Panorama combo.

Both these options are warmer than Alberta, should have plently of slopeside townhomes and generally fit your bill. Most resorts will offer skating and other things like tubing, swimming pools etc , sleigh rides etc.

Gryph
ski holidays
You'll find it less cold if you move further into the mountains than Banff and Lake Louise. Several years back a local told me that those resorts generally share the same freezing arctic air mass as the plains, whereas the prevailing winds in resorts such as Panorama , Fergie, Kicking Horse andKimberly are from the warmer west. That's certainly been true every time I've been in Canada: most days Panorama has been around 10C warmer than Banff, Lake Louise and Calgary.

Panorama might suit you. It's my favourite place to ski, and I've tried most of the big name European resorts and several well known ones in North America. The skiing there will be perfect for any good skiers in your group - there are enough deserted slopes with steeps, trees and powder to entertain most experts for a couple of weeks - and any intermediates looking for a challenge will find plenty to stretch their skills. But it's the early intermediates that you'd need to watch out for: like many Canadian resorts, Panorama has very few groomers so boredom might set in. If you're concerned about that risk, try a two centre holiday.

You won't have any trouble finding spacious slopeside accommodation in Panorama: no-one has ever needed to sleep on a sofa bed when I've been there. However, I'd recommend a car if you're self-catering, as the resort supermarket is inadequate; you should also be aware that there's effectively no apres ski there - one bar, one restaurant, one pizza joint, one coffee shop and that's your lot. For maximum flexibility, we normally DIY our trips there, but Inghams' packages are generally good value.
ski holidays
fatbob wrote:

Doorstep skiing is Canada is a bit of a joke designed to part brainwashed Euros from their cash, not realising that the trade off is zero or low nightlife in a captive environment. Buses aren't crowded and hire cars are cheap (& fun if you know how to drive on snow).

Well that's one way of looking at it Laughing

The alternative view is that ski-in/out is much better than dicking around with cars and buses.
latest report
Bones,
Quote:

and who would want to share a room with another couple

Swingers would Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

Swingers would

Not if they're your mum & dad (unless you're REALLY broad-minded).

vivski, how committed are you to late Feb/early March? If you could delay until the post-Olympic period, you might find some good deals in Whistler.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Acacia, Shock Shock uggghhh Shock
snow report
Banff is amazing...i would still push for Banff!! despite the bus ride back from the resorts (all 3) there is lots do in the town and it is sooo pretty so those returning back after only half a day's skiing would not feel like they have missed half of the holiday.
another great place is fernie....its very varied here so great for lots of different levels of experiences....also has fantastic snow. great place to stay in the town is redtree lodge...pretty new and just fab in general! skiing wise in fernie, the powdery tree runs will be fantastic for the more experienced skiers in your group...they are definitely some of the best i've ever been on....the slopes are also a short car ride from the town - most people hitch hike up (sounds weird, but its not the sort of hitch hiking you get here...everyone does it...its more like a public bus in lots of cars!).
the town is lovely, but pretty quiet. it has a great atmosphere tho...great locals etc.
i hope this has helped a bit....i would still say go with Banff!!!
snow report
juliat21, cheers Very Happy well my brother has now split up with his gf and mum is talking about not coming so may just be me, the OH, my dad and brother so Banff now looks much more of a possiblilty! Also like the sound of Fernie so will look into that as well - cheers for the accommodation recommendation Very Happy All getting a bit easier to plan possibly!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy