Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Handy tip if booking one way EasyJet flight back to the UK

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I'd pass this on for info if anyone has only got to book their flight back to the UK:

Friends are giving us a lift down next January so only need a flight back - Geneva to Gatwick.

I found it was much cheaper to book the flight as if doing a return trip and then remove the outward leg where you get the option to do so on the second (?) page of the booking process.

When I initially tried to book Geneva - Gatwick as a single journey the price was quoted in swiss francs and then when converted to sterling was about £9.00 per person more expensive. Quite a big percentage difference when the price of the flight was only £28.99 in the first place. wink wink wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loatie, snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
that goes both ways though, i have done the opposite coming from Spain and it was cheaper in Euros....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's probably like car hire prices on the Swiss and French side of Geneva - no consistent difference, need to check every time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w

Which websites give the option of Swiss/French sides? Hol Autos etc seems to bring up only the Swiss side each time.

Are we talking a significant price difference?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Good tip. Wish I'd known that earlier, as I had to do this for two of us back in January. At least that was for a business trip, so it was the company that paid - but as I'm a shareholder as well, I'd still have preferred that went to our profit line (or rather reduced the loss) rather than Stelios'.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, the Holiday Autos site has both. Just checked. The smallest car, for a week from tomorrow, is £208 on the Swiss side, £169 on the French side.

So even with the Swiss vignette added, the French side is a bit cheaper. But it isn't always like that - sometimes the difference is more, sometimes less, sometimes Swiss side is cheaper. You need to check each time. "Extras" are different too - e.g. second driver 70 CHF, but free on the French side. In the summer, when snow tyres are not an issue, the French side is generally going to be cheaper, especially if you want to have two named drivers.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We had to pay an extra £40 for snow tyres on the French side last season.... even though the car already had them on, the company offered us the option at the desk... if we'd have said "no thanks" would they have changed the tyres???? I think not....

Agree with pam w, check everything every time.... they're all robbing ba574rds!!!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
SnowGod wrote:
We had to pay an extra £40 for snow tyres on the French side last season.... even though the car already had them on, the company offered us the option at the desk... if we'd have said "no thanks" would they have changed the tyres???? I think not....

Agree with pam w, check everything every time.... they're all robbing ba574rds!!!!

Did they offer you the option before they filled out the forms with the registration number of the car you were getting?

They might have changed which vehicle you got if you had said "No thanks".
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The difference between Swiss and French prices is often comparable to the extra charges for snowtyres etc on the French side - it's just that there's no choice but to pay for winter tyres on the Swiss side. Depending on your car hire company you can sometimes find yourselves stuck with extra charge for snowtyres on the Swiss side too - I recall a Snowheads thread to that effect, from an exasperated snowHead who couldn't see how, as snowtyres are legally required in Switzerland, it could be an "extra". He still had to pay it, though.

Ultimately, on a ski holiday costing a couple of thousand pounds, the best answer is not to sweat over a £40 difference here or there (for snow tyres, vignettes, etc) which equates to a very modest round of drinks on the slopes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Also to remember is that you pay an 'airport tax' in Geneva when hiring a car at the airport - Swiss side. If you take the free train (pick up ticket from the machine in baggage reclaim, by the green exit) into town (6 mins) and hire from there you can make a saving. (I'll try and remember how much...)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy