Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pole Size

Poster: A snowHead
Ok, so i've bought skis but am yet to mount some bindings and will probably wait until I have the cash.

In the meantime is there a sensible way to calculate the correct ski pole length? This year I hired skis and the shop gave me poles that were too short and it was murder for the first day. Obviously I took them back and got another pair which sorted the problem, but this isn't really an option when buying.

I don't really want to take my skis and boots to a shop, put them on and then try different length poles to find the right ones rolling eyes , so what's the easy way?

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if you're going to a shop they should have a pole length measuring thing...bit like a shoe size board with a sliding ski pole handle.

whats the normal measure, elbow to floor?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pole upside down, held under the basket, elbow should be roughlt right angle. If course if you have big riser plates on your skis you'll need to bear this in mind.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Indian poles are slightly smaller
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
what beanie1 said but if you are in ski boots stand tall without knee bend this should compensate for the ski and riser plate height and get you pretty close.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kersh, did you not notice the length of the right poles you got in the hire shop? For what it's worth if I do the upside down basket thing I would be given 115cm, which are too long for me so once I sussed that 110cm were better for me that's what I always asked for and that's what I bought.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the tips

papasmurf, elbow to floor is 120cm.

holidayloverxx, unfortunately i've never paid much attention to the pole length, even when they gave me the wrong length. rolling eyes Great idea ... I should have paid more attention!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
red 27, Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
adjustable poles?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Arno, but then they need to be calibrated...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
adjustable poles?

I'm not planning on growing anytime soon. wink Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kersh, ah, but shrinkage...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
comprex, well there is that .... i'm only 32, I reckon the poles will die before I start shrinking? There's hope ..... Razz

Can anyone recommend some poles to buy? I want to use them on and off piste but don't want to spend a fortune.

Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kersh, as far as I'm concerned poles are poles so unless you want carbon ones or anything particularly fancy go for the ones that you think look good, are the right size and have a decent sized basket for the powder. Easiest way? Just go in to your local ski shop and pick up a pair.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kersh, I'm 5'9" I was told it was hold the poles upside down under the basket in bare feet and the elbow should be at a right angle. On this basis I started with a set of 115cm which the shop I ordered them from recommended for my height (I'd previously ordered 110cm ones on the basis of my experimentation with a bit of wood at home). I skied quite happily with 115cm for a couple of weeks. Then someone gave me present of a pair that were 110cm - I skied in these for a week and didn't notice much of a difference. Then I got a present of another pair - these were 125cm - they felt enormous, but I've just skied them for a week in VT and out of all of them these were best for what I use them for - pole-ing on the flat Laughing Laughing I can't successfully pole plant yet!! Pole lengths seem to be a black art, but I fancy the 125cm ones put my elbow at the best 90 degree angle.

We are now a pole happy household as I have some for the kids and some spares acquired along the way for other purposes. Between the 3 of us we have sets at 85cm, 95cm, 100cm, 110cm 115cm, 120cm and 125cm and an adjustable pair for hiking so if anyone needs to try a set for size before they buy and they are passing the door.......... Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum,
Quote:

the best 90 degree angle.
How many 90 degree angles are there? wink
ski holidays
Ok cheers. So basically, I need to go to a shop, hold a few upside down and buy a pair I like. What about off piste baskets?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy