Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Life after Scott Missions...another recommend me a ski thread...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ok snowheads, any good deals around that would suit me?

5ft 10", 13stone, skied for 39 weeks over the past 25 years.

Ski most everything, not into the park, and too old for death defying rope work down couloirs.

In a typical year my skiing may consist of:

a few days off piste (2-6 days) 100% of the time (apart from the odd piste to get there and back)
a week with the family, which will be a right old mix charging around on piste blacks and reds, occasional off piste (may turn into every morning offpiste), some spring snow, then skiing blues with the kids, and potentially a full day off piste with a guide/mates etc

So I'm currently on Scott Missions, 178cm, dims: 128x89x115

The past off piste week I was working on trying to turn less and felt the Missions weren't helping in that respect, and then last week in some nice spring snow and some boot deep powder I felt they were pretty flappy in the tips....

So I don't think I really want to go over 100mm width due to the fact I will still be doing blues with my young kids next year.
I think I'd like something stiffer, I like the length of the missions, so not sure I'd want to go any longer.
I also think I'd mount Barons on them or something similiar for the odd bit of skinning.

Any thoughts? Any particular bargains around [ have PM'd kiwi to see what he has left - cannot have Nomads as 2 of the guys I ski with just got some off him Wink ]

Cheers,

Greg

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 21-04-09 16:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Prophet 90s are stiff

Movement thunders might be worth a look, though don't know about flex.

Head iM82\8s or what ever is replacing the monster series next year might be worth a look
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Volkl Mantras or Legend Pros (latter are softer than they used to be in the shorter lengths)?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
papasmurf wrote:
Prophet 90s are stiff

Movement thunders might be worth a look, though don't know about flex.

Head iM82\8s or what ever is replacing the monster series next year might be worth a look

I skied a lot this season on Prophet 100s, which are supposed to ski very similar to the 90s. Just tuned a bit more for soft snow and powder. Really nice ski and great for long radius turns on and off piste. But don't expect them to carve short radius turns on a hard steep pitch.

I've also spent a lot of time on Head iM82s and they're my preference when conditions are not so good or if I'm spending more time on piste. They're decently stiff, well made and capable of pretty serious on piste high speed blasting. In fact they're pretty good at most things, on or off piste. I prefer the Prophets after a big dump (don't interpret that the wrong way!), but the iM82s are a true all-rounder.

Haven't skied the Movement Thunder or Spark (very similar dimensions to the iM82), but they'd be on my shortlist if I was looking. My wife has Movement Spicys (girlie version of the Spark) and she raves about them both on and off piste. The build quality is certainly impressive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm close to your stats though I ski offpiste some more.

Alongside my Missions (now dying of a torn edge) and the High Society Freerides from kiwi1 which are for next season, I ski Kneissl Tankers mounted with Barons. 125-93-116, 23 m radius if I remember well. Much less turny than the Missions. They're my skis for when the snow is tough - they give me a lot of confidence as they'll go through anything (2 metal plates). Might be worth looking for the model that replaced them last year (the Rock Star?)

I didn't get on well with the Monsters - well they skied very similarly to the Tankers, but while the Tankers talked to me and we had fun together, the Monsters were surly.
Would love to try some Volkls.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Is you like Scott skis the Neos or Crusades are stiffer and a step up from the Missions. The Crusades a bit wider the Neos a bit narrower. I use the 176 Neos on all sorts of snow and love them I'm about the same size as you. They ski short on piste as you probably know from the missions so dont be tempted to go for a shorter one.

I'm a bit prone to raving about these skis so I'll leave it at that. Toofy Grin

Edge2edge might still have some Neo's ex-rental in the sale they are out of Crusades. Fillarinskis are out of the Neo and most lengths of the crusade. The crusades are getting harder to find but I'm sure there are some neos out there.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 21-04-09 16:29; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Is it worth waiting till next season skis are out, aren't all the manufactures supposed to be really going for this part of the market next year
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
papasmurf wrote:
Is it worth waiting till next season skis are out, aren't all the manufactures supposed to be really going for this part of the market next year

Next years full (and increased) list price vs the chance of an end of season bargain though!

Horizon how are the tankers on piste?

Cheers,

greg
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horizon wrote:
the Monsters were surly.

On reflection I'd agree with that. You do need to be in the driving seat, at least with the 82s. But the rewards are high when you get it right. It takes me a while to get used to their grunt after coming off the more laid back Prophets.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:
papasmurf wrote:

Next years full (and increased) list price vs the chance of an end of season bargain though!

Horizon how are the tankers on piste?

Cheers,

greg

yeah true....I'd have taken a pair of nomads of kiwi the other week if I'd not bought the punishers at the beginning of the season.

Though aren't some compaines trying to not put prices up next yera...K2 and there new side country range isn't that meant to be similar prices to this...where did i hear this..ponders..
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tankers on piste - great edge hold for their width (much better than Missions). Tough to turn unless you have some speed. Someone else said they ski like a fat GS ski. (To be honest the Missions are better on piste unless it's quite hard snow, but you'll be able to go faster and more in control on the Tankers).

It's been a while since I skied piste skis anywhere so I couldn't properly compare my mid-fatties with a proper piste ski.

uktrailmonster, I found that after the Missions the Tankers throw me in the backseat, but when I make the effort to correct this I end up skiing better.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
kitenski, 179 HSFR's, if kiwi1's got any left. Great ski & lightweight so good with Baron's although you should be on something bigger.

I've got a pair of brand new 187 FR's going at a bargain price if you're prepared to man up! Mosha skis 'em no problem with his kids knowing that he has something decent underfoot for big days etc. He's skied both the 179 & 187 & opted for the longer/wider vesion. Hopefully he'll be a long in a minute to big 'em up.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Though aren't some compaines trying to not put prices up next yera

But if they sell in Euro and the skis ar imported to UK on a weak pound they will be more expensive anyway.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
interesting thoughts, now any of those recommended skis on amazing offer anywhere??
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski,
Neos in all sizes up to 176 but only one size of the Crusade (too small for you IMV) here at reasonable prices. http://www.skisurf.co.uk/products.asp?S=SK&T=S&Cat=13#13
I got mine cheaper at Filarinskis 2 months ago but they are all out now Sad. see www.edge2edge.co.uk for x rentals
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy