Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR Pointe Eales NE Face

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A phone call from Ross & Al Saturday lunchtime saw me make a high-speed pack & dash drive to Chamonix. A 2 minute change from civvies to mountain gear in the Grands Montets car park and frantic run up the steps got me to the gate just in time to see the 'last bin' heading out of the station...
Fortunately the lovely lifty called ahead and I made the last lift to the very top with seconds to spare...

A bit of negotiation and we had a luxury 5* bivvy spot for the night, complete with central heating...

A 5.30 wake-up and by 7a.m. we were skinning up the Argentiere glacier, with our face finally coming into view, catching a few rays of morning sun:

Tucked away at the end of the Argentiere basin this face is a great warm-up for bigger & badder descents, with 4/500m of 50º above the bergschrund.
With a fair bit of fresh snow over the last few days we were certain conditions would be excellent...
Ross dragging his Sanouks up to the first bergschrund:

Climbing the face was an exercise in trench-digging, but with the skies staying slightly overcast and a reasonable forecast we were quite happy to be in the cool shade:

At about 3400m the weather suddenly took a dramatic turn, with a real foehn blast kicking in, cloud dropping, snow and lots of wind. About 2 minutes later the first spindrift avalanches started, so it was time to bail quick-sharp...interesting times getting into dynafits on 50º+ of powder, with spindrift trying to knock you off balance. Al making the most of a brief moment of respite:

Despite the poor visibility the face gave awesome skiing as expected, with the odd fluttery moment tryiing to spot the bergschrunds...Al on the bottom of the face:

Time for tea & cakes! Shame we didn't make the top - 1 more hour of clear weather would have got us up & down, and with visibility the ski down would probably have been one of the best runs of the last few years!! Ah well, we might just have to plod all the way up the glacier again at some point...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
offpisteskiing wrote:
A

what on earth has your buddy got on his feet Puzzled

that looks like a very nice descent - pity the weather crapped out
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, 'Spanking paddles' (as they are commonly known in the biz)... only way to get up the steep & deep (short of a helicopter...)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
offpisteskiing wrote:
Arno, 'Spanking paddles' (as they are commonly known in the biz)... only way to get up the steep & deep (short of a helicopter...)

I used to think I was fairly well equipped ... I'm gonna have to get me some "Spanking Paddles" Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
offpisteskiing, so basically super-sized anti-bots?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Plastic snowshoes effectively.. (cheap & light)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
offpisteskiing, Nice, pity the weather crapped out.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
offpisteskiing, good effort... look forward to the next installment.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy