Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Convince me to go to Canada at Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Every Easter my family and another (4 adults, 4 kids aged 6-10) go away together. Usually Austria but this year had a great trip to the 3V. Only bummer of course is freeze-thaw conditions although most years we seem to get some new snow.

The kids are improving greatly with the youngest able to comfortably ski a blue run and the oldest skiing quicker than me and on anything, with the others in between. They have benefitted greatly from good tuition and years of investment are paying off in that regard.

I have a hankering to go to Canada or the US but know not much about it, the main reason being snow conditions (or is that not the case at Easter?) If I am a bit better informed I can convince the others, but need the ammo to do so!

What I do know (or think I know) is as follows:

1. We will need to go for 10 days

2. We will be jet lagged at both ends

3. Ski schools for kids are exceptional

4. Crowds are non-existent.

5. Snow is generally better

What about price? Pound for pound how does it compare with a Euro trip?

In short, at Easter Europe or North America?

Hope you can help.

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
whistler was fantastic.. but with the european alps or our doorstep i wont be going back. its too far..
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
mind i have been , albeit only once, and you should try everything so.....
i'd happily trek to vegas but blackpool doesnt really compete there..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter Leuzzi,
What I do know (or think I know) is as follows:

1. We will need to go for 10 days - I would say no, but it's up to you. I have been for 7 days and 10 days and now only go for 7 (but I only ever do that on any holiday). I've been 8 times to NA and the only time did 10 days was in Banff where there are 3 mountains to choose from, 7 days was enough at otherwise (I don't do off-piste)

2. We will be jet lagged at both ends - who knows, it's very much down to the individual. I get it at the beginning, meaning really early starts (good thing), falling asleep in my dinner by 8.30pm (bad thing). No real problem coming back, although I stay up v late for a couple of nights on return.

3. Ski schools for kids are exceptional - no experience but I don't doubt it from what I have seen

4. Crowds are non-existent - spot on

5. Snow is generally better - subjective, depends on when easter is and how good the season has been. I would say though that I think Canada is reliable and I have skied through to end April with superb conditions.

What about price? Pound for pound how does it compare with a Euro trip? - actual travel & accommodation package (but accommodation far, far superior) more expensive, lift pass about the same, food & drink reasonable but you have to add tax & tip to menu prices

In short, at Easter Europe or North America? - for me North America every time - you won't catch me skiing europe at any time schools are off. It's about the whole relaxed experience with great snow and without the crowds, cost is not an issue for me though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, watching this thread with interest as I intend to take the family across the pond at some stage! However personally I'd say go West if your going to go, and I'm not sure I'd be convinced that the snow would be any better.

When I looked last time it was still more expensive to goto North America than it was Europe for Easter, taking into account flights, transport to resort, accom, food, drinks, lift pass (this was a lot more in NA), ski hire, lessons etc

So I'd respond to your list as follows:

1. We will need to go for 10 days - agree with kids, disagree without them (but think of breaking up the skiing with dog sledding or something)

2. We will be jet lagged at both ends - yup, some people get it worse than others

3. Ski schools for kids are exceptional - no experience

4. Crowds are non-existent - I skied Jackson Hole over New Year and it was very quiet, however I have never found Europe that busy over Easter

5. Snow is generally better - not sure I'd agree, a hot spell vs a cold spell in either continent can change the conditions drastically.

cheers,

Greg
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't find Easter too busy in Europe either. I considered Fernie for this Easter after seeing a really good deal but after a bit of research found that decent snow is by no means guaranteed there that late. You'd need to pick your N American resort as you have to in Europe.

Ski schools are exceptional - only been once to Banff, good but not exceptional, plenty in Europe to compare.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Colin B, I agree with your comments, I think the idea of "busy" is subjective. If there are more than 3 or 4 people on a slope (away from the run-in), I call that "quite busy" in North America. A lift queue in my experience there takes about 30 seconds to clear. An an example you can relate to, it was busier in Tignes in December when we were there than it was in Big White this March, or in Fernie in March last year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
holidayloverxx, Sure It's what you are used to/expect. I went to Banff at New Year which is about their busiest time. Guess it would be a lot quieter at Easter.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Okay thanks all, thus far.

What would you say then if instead of Easter we said February half term?

Snow?

Pricing?

Crowds?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Peter Leuzzi, we had 6 hols bsed in Banff at Easter. The snow was always at least good, often excellent. Crowds non existent except over Easter weekend, and even then not too bad at all. I'm not sure about 'exceptional' ski schools; I'd say very good and very flexible, but inevitably it depends on the instructor. What we never found was the 'You are Eeenglish, you ski for only 2 weeks a year, I am wasting my tahm trying to teach you' attitude which certainly used to be found in France. There is (IME) no choice of ski school; a company owns the 'hill' and they run everything, catering, ski school, the lot.
There are pros and cons, as have been rehearsed a million times on here, but if you haven't been, you should go.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got the impression that resorts like Banff and Fernie, the accommodation is a bus ride away from the slopes - is that correct?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hoppo, Banff, yes. The town is 20mins from Norquay, 30ish minutes to SUnshine adn 45 minutes to Lake Louise. There is one hotel at Sunshine but you are pretty much stuck up there so a coupel of days woud be great, but no longer IMV. Lake Louise is a resort in itself so you can stay there but it's dearer than banff and I prefer the nightlife and wider choice of Banff (I also prefer to ski at Sunshine)

At Fernie, you have the town, which is about 10 mins by bus and that's where the least expensive accommodation is, and there is slopeside accommodation on the hill. On the hill there are a few hotels/condos and rental cabins with a handful of restaurants. You can get the bus into town for more nightlife.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hoppo, yes indeed (or a car ride if you go for the preferred option of a hire car). Driving in Canada is nothing like driving around ski resorts in Europe; the roads are very quiet, and cleared very quickly when necessary, parking is ample at the lifts and at hotels, and there are skier drop offs right by the lift so only the driver has to walk from the car. I'd guess that a car/bus ride is needed in far more N.Aemrican resorts than Euro resorts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Peter Leuzzi wrote:

February half term next year will coincide with the Olympics, so you might want to bear that in mind if it means travelling via Vancouver. And the start of half term is also the American Presidents Day public holiday, so it can mean that that weekend is busier than usual. Having said that we've skied at either Big White or Silver Star in BC over the Presidents Day weekend for years, and it's rare even then to queue for more than about 3 or 4 minutes. Midweek it'll be back to the usual almost deserted mountain. And ski schools are good (the native language helps of course). Especially at the higher levels the group sizes are small - son #1 was in 'group' lessons of one most of the time!

Snow in Canada in February - need you ask? It's why we habitually ski there at that time of year.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hoppo wrote:
I got the impression that resorts like Banff and Fernie, the accommodation is a bus ride away from the slopes - is that correct?

The two I mentioned earlier - Big White and Silver Star - are both all ski-in/ski-out. No buses needed. As is Sun Peaks.
latest report
I would second Big White, but need to consider the extra travel time - internal flight to Kelowna usually ( and Jazz are notourious for not fitting your luggage onto the flight; there was a queue of about 20 people whose luggage didn't arrive on their flight - our skis arrived at the hotel at lunchtime the followign day; there was a very slick operation at Kelowna airport for issuing voucher for ski hire!)
latest report
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
I'd say, 'It can be absolutely bloody freezing in Canada at that time.'. Not an insurmountable problem by any means, but needs to be borne in mind.
snow conditions
1. We will need to go for 10 days It might be better with kids rather than go for a week, but not essential

2. We will be jet lagged at both ends I'm only ever jet-lagged on the return. Going there I just wake early and feel sleepy early in the evening. Coming back my whole body feels out of sorts and am perpetually tired for about a week

3. Ski schools for kids are exceptional Big White markets itself as a family resort and i believe its facilities are very good for kids. As others have said, there is only one ski school owned by the resort. As they mainly cater to the N American customer who doesn't normally go skiing for a week and expect tuition for the week, group lessons are normally for half a day - if you book for a day this is really 2 lessons and you may not get the same instructor in the afternoon as the morning. It may be different for children but its certainly true for adults. Apart from the Club Ski programme at Banff for 3 days - but that's mainly geared to the Brits.

4. Crowds are non-existent. Slopes are really empty - particularly noticeable in photos!

5. Snow is generally better Can be

I would say Big White would be very good for a family group. They are extending the runway at Kelowna to take transatlantic flights so you may be able to get away with a direct flight without the internal. We've been with Ski Independence twice but its not cheap
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi, have you done any cost comparisions yet?
snow report
cathy, I got a good deal from ski indepence this year, I asked for a better price and they gave me even better than I was expecting! I beleive (according to my cab driver, so it must be true wink )the runway can already take transatlantic flights - it was extended for Zoom and with its demise they are now marketing it to other airlines/operatord for direct flights.
ski holidays
richmond wrote:
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
I'd say, 'It can be absolutely bloody freezing in Canada at that time.'. Not an insurmountable problem by any means, but needs to be borne in mind.

Not necessarily - it depends where you go. Compare this:
http://www.zoover.co.uk/canada/british-colombia/big-white/weather
to this:
http://www.zoover.co.uk/canada/alberta/banff/weather
latest report
Cost-wise - I'd reckon about half as much again or even double the cost of a week in Austria, especially bearing in mind going for probably 10 days & the higher cost of lift passes. Depending on whether you get an apartment or stay in a hotel - most hotels are bed only, some with breakfast. They don't really do the half-board thing.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, well done you! Obviously worth trying to get the price down - they have in the past bettered a price I've got from elsewhere so good on them.

Ah, so the runway has been extended? That would make such a difference to the journey!
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
I beleive (according to my cab driver, so it must be true ;-) )the runway can already take transatlantic flights - it was extended for Zoom and with its demise they are now marketing it to other airlines/operatord for direct flights.

Yep - Kelowna's runway extension opened in November last year.
ski holidays
Peter Leuzzi,

A lot of good points already posted: this is my view.

We always go to Canada for 2 weeks, usually in the run-up to Easter (last week of March/first week of April), and have done this for the last 10 years. I've never regretted it.

I find the time difference works in my favour on arrival: as holidayloverxx points out, it's no bad thing to be up bright and early and ready for the first lift. It's certainly a long day's travelling to get there, though. My problem with Jet-lag is the west-to-east leg. It always takes me a bit of time to get over it on returning to the UK (but then it's only interfering with my work, not my fun Very Happy )

Very possibly. We don't have kids, so can't speak from personal experience on this one. I certainly haven't had any complaints about the standard of instruction for for adults, and it always looks like the kids are having a great time with their instructors. - Having Anglophone instruction must be a bonus.

- Mostly. It depends where you are. A powder weekend at Whistler might see some 20-minute lift lines, but at least they're civilised: not rugby scrums with Gauloises. Certainly in midweek you can pretty much ski onto the lift at most places.

- It's Spring skiing, so you'll experience a mixture. Again, it depends where you are. I'd say you're likely to get heavier, wetter snow somewhere like Whistler, which is in the coastal range, than you are around Banff or in interior BC. It may well be slushy in the afternoon, and bullet-proof first thing in the morning, especially at lower altitude. But generally the snow is (i) reliable and (ii) good.

What about price? Pound for pound how does it compare with a Euro trip?

Probably a bit more expensive, but it depends what you're comparing. Until recently, this was offset by the VERY favourable exchange rate. Now that the pound is kicking about in the basement, ($1.80, rather than $2.40) Canada has become less of a bargain. But hell, the pound's not doing so well against the Euro, either.

Accommodation will be WAY better in N. America. Going as a large group, I imagine you'd be looking to rent a large condo. - You'll find the general standard very high, and you'll certainly have more space, and you'll likely get a number of extras like your own hot tub.

Lift passes may be a bit more expensive (although it depends on the deal you get. This year we booked our passes early, to take advantage of discounted prices, and had two free passes for kids thrown in with the adult passes - not much use to us, since we don't have kids, but certainly an attraction for the family holiday).

Meals on the mountain will be cheaper, but you won't have the option of the 5-star restaurant (think flabby burger, or - horror of horrors, poutine). Eating out may be slightly more fraught, depending on where you are, since in some jurisdictions there's an age limit related to places selling alcohol.

In places like Banff and Whistler, there are some end-of-season bargains to be had in the shops, and not just for ski equipment and clothing. A lot of stores have Easter sales with some pretty good discounts available I haven't bought jeans in the UK for about 12 years, now. (Although remember that all prices quoted are those before tax: Federal and Provincial sales tax in BC, but only Federal tax in Alberta).

I'm an old Canada hand (I used to work there, and half my family are Canadian) so I'm biased.

re: February half term.
As richmond points out, it can be cold, although this is more of a problem in Banff than further west. Whistler benefits from it's maritime location (but don't go there in Feb 2010, unless you plan to compete in the Olympics). If you book your flights and accommodation DIY rather than through a tour op, you won't suffer from the half-term price hikes that the TOs impose.
latest report
Quote:

Coming back my whole body feels out of sorts and am perpetually tired for about a week

True of many a ski holiday - wait till that lot get home from the EOSB! Twisted Evil
latest report
Acacia is all over it I think. When is Easter next year? If March you might still catch winter in April more likely to be spring though I've skied storm fresh powder in various places in early May.

Bear in mind that interior BC resorts might be winding down if Easter is late. When I was in Fernie I recall the ski hill forcibly staying open through Easter Mondya because that was when the last Brit package punters left. Banff area resorts are a reliable bet because of the height but elsewhere I'm assuming direct flights will factor into your decisions. Cold shouldn't be a factor post Feb.
ski holidays
I think it's all been said above. I've always thought Canada is well worth the effort. My 3 main criteria for skiing are great snow conditions (lots of fresh light powder), no crowds and luxury ski-in/out accommodation. Most of the resorts out West meet the first two. Big White, Silver Star and Whistler meet the third. Whistler is the most crowded of the Canadian resorts, but also has the most nightlife and terrain. So just depends on your priorities.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pretty much all been said. Just like to add...............

Ten days is in my opinion a minimum. There's nigh on a days travelling either end.

Jet lag (as others seem to find) is worse on the east-west (return) journey. I can ride out the disparity going, obviously helped by the enthusiasm, can take up to a week on return (though last month on return only took a couple of days).

Ski school no experience of. But there are normally "slow ski" areas that a reasonably well enforced, and anyone who doesn't slow down could risk their pass.

Crowds as others.

Snow is rarely bad, at least as good as most european areas on average.

Now as to cost. If you go for two weeks then the package will be around the price you would pay in Europe, maybe a shade higher. Once you get there things are pretty reasonable, including tipping, but Banff in particular is noted as being more expensive than surrounding resorts.

The one thing that makes Canada so much more cost effective than anywhere else I've been is a function of the lack of crowds. You rarely queue at lifts, but most important of all is the uncrowded pistes mean you have so much more quality time. How many times have you lined up a run, or a jump and had to abort? How many times have you had to ride the cush/margins because that was the only part of the trail available? Don't really happen in Canada. And the off piste/trail is the best I've ever ridden, everything within the boundary tape is classed as fair game too (unless specifically excluded, such as avalanche areas).

No contest really as far as I'm concerned.

John.
snow conditions
Easter is first weekend in April in 2010. Everywhere should be pretty good then still, and plenty of bargains, but more than likely spring conditions. In February you're more likely to get 'real' north american snow. If half-term clashes with presidents week, then the first weekend at least will be busy/pricey, but most things will settle down after the weekend.

I've always found Big White to have lots of well priced accommodation - check out ownersdirect.com for some price points.
snow report
We live in Calgary and have skied lots of ALbertan and BC resorts. We have two kids.

The only cautionary advice for our neck of the woods would be for Albertan Family Day weekend . Generally its only the SAturday and SUnday that's bad , monday calms down. LL last year was mad, Fernie this year was absolutely fine.

Mid feb might be chilly in Alberta and that might be tough on kids who aren't used to it and don't have the gear (eg kids face masks etc) so in Feb I would go BC.

Personal favorites would be Fernie, Silver Star and Big White, maybe SUn PEaks but never been there. SS and BW both have skating and tubing which would be great for your gang- although the skating may be off by Easter.

WE went to SS/BW for Easter last eyar and 3 days later the resort was shutting due to lack of demand and we had some of the best snow we have ever skied on!!!! It was criminal to be shutting. WE skied up until last weekend in LL - but it wsa very spring like and not my favorite!
snow conditions
gryphea wrote:

WE went to SS/BW for Easter last eyar and 3 days later the resort was shutting due to lack of demand and we had some of the best snow we have ever skied on!!!! It was criminal to be shutting. WE skied up until last weekend in LL - but it wsa very spring like and not my favorite!

They stayed open a week later this year after a lot of pressure from the locals.
ski holidays
uktrailmonster, not surprised - I couldn't beleive it when our cab driver said it was due to close
latest report
I guess how long they stay open depends on the commercial viability i.e. demand. It was pretty deserted by early April, despite some great conditions and the locals only tend to come up from Kelowna on a weekend. Regular local skiers will be on season tickets too, so there's no additional lift ticket revenue from those. Be interesting to see if they continue next season with the extra week opening.
snow conditions
Most of it has already been said, but here are a few more thoughts:
Quote:
We usually go for 10 days, but it's worth going for 7. A day spent travelling is wasted if your door-to-door trip is 10 hours (the Alps) or 19 hours (Canada).
Quote:
It's not really a problem in my experience. The skiing will blow away the cobwebs on the outward leg. Make sure your return trip is overnight, don't go to sleep until your normal British bed time and you'll be fine the next day.
Quote:
Yes, yes, a thousand times. My kids' lessons have taken them through trees, deep powder, incredible steeps and tricky rock fields. Canadian ski schools seem to rate adrenalin very highly.
Quote:
It's not just the lack of lift queues, it's the uncrowded trails that matter.
Quote:
Statistically you're absolutely right. Winter precipitation is much higher in much of the Rockies than it is in the Alps and the low temperatures and dry air create a different kind of snow; it's the fine, tiny crystals that only form below -10C that you're after. When you see the snow landing on your gloves, it's visibly different from most Alpine snow (except at very high altitudes) - tiny rods of ice instead of the much larger classic star shape crystals that form at higher temperatures, or the huge, heavy clumps of crystals that land when the air temperature is close to freezing point. Go at half term is my advice. I wouldn't want to risk spring conditions - I like my snow light, fluffy and very, very cold.
Quote:

We did Europe (Zermatt) this year for a change. We had a great time, but my heart's definitely in North American skiing - once you've tasted a few double black diamonds, nothing else will do.
snow conditions
uktrailmonster,
Quote:

I guess how long they stay open depends on the commercial viability i.e. demand.

Apparently sometimes they like to close before the bears wake up! EEK!
snow conditions
gryphea, regulalry see bears when spring skiing at Whistler. Usually below snow line, as that's where the food is. See - skiing is so safe Smile
latest report
Hi, i did a season in Banff and it was absolutely incredible....some points for you:
- i did a ski instructor training course so we were being taught by the instructors of the ski school, all of which are incredible. i've skied all over the world and the canadian ski instructors are definitely the best i've had. as a trainee instructor i also helped with the ski school lessons for children and i know they got a lot out of the lessons...the improvements were huge...all in all, amazing instructors.
- crowds....there are none!!! forget the queueing for lifts that you get in europe...never happens in canada...no waiting, therefore more time on the slopes! great fun lift operators (aka lifties!) - always very friendly and fun, and because there aren't many people on the lifts, you get to know them a bit!!!
- the snow is DEFINITELY better than in france....you are always guaranteed proper snow, not ice or slush as you get in europe at the same time. amazing powder - great fun for the kids and adults! brilliant...
-price wise, yes the flights are more expensive, but once you get over there, everything is a lot LOT cheaper than in Europe so it all balances itself out.

i would highly recommend going to canada....best ski trip of my life over there....it is very different from European skiing (the layout of the slopes, apres ski etc) tho, so don't go over with any expectations...
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy