Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tour de Mont Blanc...

Poster: A snowHead
Have been invited to complete the tour de Mont Blanc in the summer.....anyone done it? Approximately 170km with 10km ascent, all on foot (no skis required)

Should I, or should I just go and lie on a beach somewhere instead?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
One of my friends almost did it, as a fit and outdoor-minded 17 year old, with a group of other lads. In the end they had to give up because several of the group had very painful blistered feet.

I'd love to have done it in my younger days..... Nowadays, a 10 km walk with a 170m ascent is more my style. wink

If you do it, don't do it in new boots!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I know someone who did in 28hours non-stop
For normal people, I think doing it followed up by a few days rehab on a beach would be a very nice mix
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, No plans to upgrade old faithfuls just yet wink

Arno, The bloke who invited me has just set off on the Haute Route, followed by ascent and descent of Monta Rosa, so whilst not in 28 hour territory, is reasonable fit by comparison. Maybe I'll keep him in check by lacing his tea with something.....

Googling is proving to be most informative too (quelle surprise wink ) - I'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks before making any rash decisions
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Guvnor, You know sitting in the summer sun in Villaroger does make much more sense Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Guvnor, You know sitting in the summer sun in Villaroger does make much more sense Very Happy

Just make sure you take your own food Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did it about 25 years ago when I was in my mid-20s, and had a brilliant time. I don't think I've ever been fitter since! To an extent you can pace yourself according to your capabilities (i.e. in some places you have a choice of shorter distances, or of cheating by taking a bus).

As well as doing the standard circuit, you can also detour up to some of the high huts above the snow line (we went to the Cabane du Trient above Champex, which I can strongly recommend - spectacular views over glaciers on the Swiss/French border).

It's also quite a social thing to do - you'll meet the same people each night in the different stops. One watch out is what time of year you do it. I did it late June/early July which is before half of France go en vacances. I'm told that it can be a bit too popular in high season - given the finite bed capacity in the huts, that could be an issue! (I don't know what the situation is on booking these days...when we did it, we joined one of the Alpine Clubs since it gave us some priority for reservations).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Guvnor, I did it about five years ago. If you are a regular hill walker in the UK it is no problem , any body who is fit could do it as long as they do not get blistered feet which can be a problem if you are not used to walking up hill and downhill every day. It is a very nice walk
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds like compeed and second skin etc are a must
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've walked it in 2004 - in about 10 days!

Before we started, I was in Chamonix on the evening that they set off and there again when the first dozen or so rolled in the next day - most looking surprisingly fit and strong. It's a long way - a very long way - with lots of up and down (at altitude too). And there is little support either. The finishers were scanned in and, apart from the podium places, they were just left to their own devices. No space blankets and no food or drink.

Another member of our mountaineering club (and by far the most fit and most driven person I know) came something like 44th last year. Mrs A knows another driven woman who managed 3/4 of it but gave up because she was too cold and tired. The weather wasn't good that year.

If you've never tried an Ultra before then I suggest you start with something a little easier. This must be one of the toughest. Just look at the attrition rate!

http://www.ultratrailmb.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_Trail_Tour_du_Mont_Blanc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultramarathon
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do it, or even just do parts of it.

I've done (most of) it twice - anti-clockwise from Les Houches the first time and clockwise from Champex the second time, and with 9 years in between. Both times in September.

The first one I did solo, camping as I went and I feel that solo is quicker because you are less inclined to stop to pass the time (and I'm a faster walker than my wife). I called it a day at Champex because I had 2 days of snow in the village, and didn't fancy another 1000m of ascent, in summer trekking boots. Also I had an appointment in Chamonix so I couldn't just sit it out.

The second time I was nearer to 40, and went with my wife and two friends. We mixed up camping, huts and hotels, and took a couple of short cuts when the weather was grotty - eg down the Italian val Ferret by bus because the cloudbase was only about 10m above the road, so the climb onto the ridge in the rain seemed pointless, and the cable car down to Les Houches to avoid hours of descent.

Having done it twice in September, I would be wary of huts closing (I stayed the last night of the season in Rifugio Elena); lifts closing (in both Courmayeur and Montroc, we missed a cable car ascent by a day, or two) and the outside possibility of snow stopping play for a day or two. That said it is fairly quiet.

The clockwise route from Champex certainly has an easier first day than the Voie Normale, and you do not meet the same people every night because you are going the wrong way! On the second go, we met a French group in Les Contamines who were on a led trip (luggage carried for them from place to place) who were doing most of the tour, without the interesting side trips, in only 7 days, and they all looked close to retirement age.

Depending on fitness, the variants that take you over the highest passes are almost certainly worth it - but remember that you're never far from a mountain hut, and there's a village every other day, or more frequently, so there's plenty of scope to give up and find transport back to wherever you need.

The first time I sleeper-ed down, and the second we drove; the campsite in Champex allowed us leave the car there, for which I offered a nominal payment.

There is an English language guide published by Cicerone, but the FFRP one is pretty good, and seemed to give more history (eg the Bisses around Forclaz and Martgny), as well as flora and fauna stuff.

You can make the journey lighter by staying in hotels or refuges all the way, and thus avoid carrying tent, sleeping bag etc, stove and food beyond lunches, or you can go hardcore and backpack - either way 10 days is not pushing it. And there's plenty of places (even some beaches) in the area to relax afterwards.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So that's a yes then?

better get off my fat backside and start clocking some K's then

Oh, and Boris, what happened to the food in Villaroger - can't say I've ever had a problem myself wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Guvnor,

You will find some useful information in the Exodus brochure or probably on the Exodus website www.exodus.co.uk

They run a couple of trips around the circuit listed under their trip codes TWB and TWP. Exodus grade their treks A (easiest) to E (hardest) and there should be a description on the website of what to expect from each category. The two trips I mentioned are graded B/C and C/D respectively, the difference being because one takes 15 days whilst the harder one takes only 8 days.

You should also find a detailed itinerary there as well which should tell you all you need to know.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Also Kev Reynolds has written a good little guide book - In stock at Amazon I notice. I've never donee it contigiously but most of it over several holidays. I defy anyone not to enjoy it (unless the weather is constantly horrible)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Guvnor, I am off to do it in late June, going clockwise from Champex. Planning on 10 days but might have a day off somewhere. I guess snow on the cols might be an issue for us after the snowy winter. My daughter who is coming with us is taking her dog so intends to camp.
snow conditions
Quote:

Arno, The bloke who invited me has just set off on the Haute Route, followed by ascent and descent of Monta Rosa, so whilst not in 28 hour territory, is reasonable fit by comparison. Maybe I'll keep him in check by lacing his tea with something.....

Guvnor, Haute route or not you should be keeping up with Jonny! wink Almost got talked into going with them mid-season, but I'm doing my IML course next week instead....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy